• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tips to a successful Map and various other things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
If you don't agree with what I have said very well, please only constructive critism, I WILL be updating!

General

This section is just general tips about what all maps should have. All maps, I believe should have some kind of help like a section under Quests what to do, like it GoE, and it should be able to find what people are looking for rather easily. Music don't add large music files to a map just because it'll go well in the first cinematic and , it makes the map a really long download on B.Net. Add a small music file and replay it like in Dark Deeds 6 when the vampire or cultist or wolf is attacking. If you add a song don't make it really annoying. Tooltips should match the attack of a unit when it says "3-8 damage lowish splash" and it should mean 3-8 damage, not 8-13. Make sure that maps aren't huge and try to compress everything you can to a smaller size, it'll make the map more download friendly.

Tower Defenses and Tower Wars

Recently I have seen a large amount of maps that are rip-offs of original tower defenses such as Winter maul. Some tower defenses have things where if a player leaves you get a bonus every round for it, leave it out, or make sure you do triggers that make it so computer players don't count, in Bayus TD you get huge sums of wood and gold for getting Computers and booting them. Don't add secret races like in some of the Winter Maul Wars when you have to type in goeagles or gorams to make a really unbalanced race, all you have to do is open the map and look for the trigger, or someone just types it repeatedly in All chat, most people who are WMW fanatics, such as my self know this can ruin a game. Make sure that you don't have an unbalanced race, too powerful or too weak, unless you have a race for expert players. Don't make creeps get to powerful to fast, and have the towers cost lots of gold, and are not very powerful, even on the most powerful race. If a number of races for tower defense it suspose to be for average players don't make other average races stronger than others, make them balanced, such as this.
Speed Race (average)
The Speed race is made up of many fast attacking towers, you can research upgrades to increase their attack speed, all towers have low damage, but make up for it with their immense speed.

Power Race (aveage)
The power race is made up of many powerful towers, some of the strongest in the game, you can research upgrades to increase attack. They are the strongest, but have some of the slowest towers, that is a made up for in immense attack.

I believe those are good examples of balanced average races. Don't make a power race with the slowest attack of fast, which is right on the line between fast-very fast. Don't make towers cost so much gold you can only make 4 towers and they are pretty bad with a spawn of 40 at each spawn.

AoS Maps

Most AoS maps, I have played, have 1-2 "rigged" heros, like in DOTA, with the silent assassin, and the hero that can take ANY spell. Don't make the units for one side better than the other. If did you best to balance, make EVERYTHING the same, even going as far to keep the same missle speed. Don't make gold cost of items a price that you can't reach, like this

Level One Recipes

Sword of Spells (1.5k)

Requires- Sword of Power (1.4k) and Staff of Magiks (1k)

That is extreamly stupid to make a level one recipe a total of 3.9k and only add 15 damage and has a horrible spell and is undroppable. I don't have as much experience with AoS, but I believe I have covered most or all of the areas that are most commonly unbalanced.

Open RPGs (Save/Load)

If you are going to make a Save/Load Open RPG, your going to want people to play it often, if you can't pick up other people items, then you should add a way of changing the ownership, a guy that I met playing FF OPRG 1.10, who knows how to open it with out using a "deprotecting" program, I think, is adding a way to trade items, in a spot where they never finished it. While on the topic of items, don't make some kind of area like in Sol and Wind, some kind of name such as that, have an area that you can go to and press ESC and spawn a certain type of item, then you go to another area, and you get the items you need to become Wind or Sol, even thou you need a high level, then you should be able to get that in no problem with your newly required items. Heros should be balanced to the littlest detail, don't make some stupid way to get a overpowered hero, like Sephiroth, in FF ORPG. Somethings are best left out, even thou I think Sephiroth is awesome, he should be left out, or balanced to fit in with the other characters. Don't add songs from the game, if you are basing your ORPG off a game, unless they have very small, FF ORPG, has the Sephiroth theme and I believe that is, 1.3 MB, which is just over 1/4 of the max you can have on B.Net. Also PLEASE don't make a save/load code that is this long.

-load char 36bnb293523464bgbkj346345lvkd9fa463dfvfv9bsgrdhgf8778

It may seel like a good idea to have a code this long so people can't figure it out, but I tried as hard as I could to make my save/load codes as small as I could with out having to make it too obvious. My code is no more that like 28-29 characters and this is 50.
Most Open RPGs I have played, are good, and are hardly orginal, I believe that their should be some kind of orginal ORPG thats not almost entirely base off a game, I don't think that many ORPG's are original, with save/load codes.

Open RPGs (with out save/load codes)

Open RPGs what can I say about them, other than, most are good, and for the most part balanced, except for the fact that people say
"Save/load codes coming soon" and don't show their faces again. or release anothe version. If you quit Warcraft 3, then do a minor update saying you won't add save/load codes, most of the things I said about ORPG's with save/load codes apply to this section.

Custom Campains, I hope I spelt that right.

If you are making/made a custom campain, make sure you have these valuable parts

1. A interesting story line, I personally like storylines if a custom campain doesn't have one then I don't want to play it.

2. Orginality I a nice part in a custom campain, I wouldn't play a continuation of Blizzard's Campains, it's just not very good because people should know, if Blizzard doesn't come out with are Warcraft 4 then I will make them *evil laugh*.

3. New ideas, don't some boring, repetive abilites, Jailer- abilites Shadown Strike, Blink, Fan of Knieves, Venegence, more like this, Hipie - Rainbow of
Sparkales(healing),
Tree Hug(makes a tree obey you),
Start a Protest(gives an attack bonus), Nag(ultimate)(passes a bill that allows trees to obey you in a small radius)(they become yours and have a ranged attack to use their roots)

That would be an original hero, because I have never seen any Hipie heros. I know I'm aa bad person for making fun of them but I don't care one bit.

4. A sad ending, everybody loves a sad ending, sad endings are always good, like in Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith. Sad endings are the best.

Mazes

Most mazes are good, and aren't too hard, but some are uberly hard or easy, I believe you should make it a balanced play it lots of times and don't add stupid little cheats like, if you use an ability on a certain tree than you can get to have a really laggy effect. Mazes shouldn't have a way to make it really laggy like in Stay off the Grass, and secrets like secret paths, I think there should be some hard part of a maze to get some secret items and things, but not secret paths.

Survival Maps

I haven't had much time to play survival maps, but I have composed a small list of tips. If your doing a survival map, I think that people should progress in levels, not rapidly and small bonuses, like maybe one strenght gives like five health, or one intelligence gives five mana, or one agility gives a minor speed boost. You know if your out in the wilderness long enough then your going to probably, get stronger, maybe faster, and have more stamina. So just make one level hard but not insane like, every one kill gives you one experince and you need 150 to get to level 2.
I haven't played much but thats what I've come to see when my friend plays them at my house.

Arenas

I used to play arenas a lot, but not anymore, I still remeber some things thou. In arenas don't add some to gain massive levels quickly or have tips to leveling fast. No overpowered heros, they ruin the game. Tomes are some of the worst things you can add, don't add them if a select few know how to get lots of money fast in a game then the newbies get killed a lot, make a high level max level.

In conclusion

I will be updating this sometime today or tomorrow, with more detail, and more sections. I added Arenas and added some to Mazes and Custom campains.

Why shouldent there be secret paths in mazes? I always put 1 little secret path for people to find in each level. I can agree with you if it is secret paths which does so you get thru most of the level without doing anything but when its just a smal shortcut i think it is okay and cant see why it ruins a map?

Besides that its a good description :)

Level 2
I don't quite agree with you on the topic of sad endings (Although I liked Star Wars Episode III). Not all custom campaigns have to feature a sad ending. What is important for maps with a storyline is to have a good ending. Not a Disney one.

Level 3
i think the biggest thing in design is Origianality and unpredictability...

Having a twisting but indepth story line with twists and turns is best, and its better if u develope the characters u make importent, lovable, in a wey that i mean, the Player will actually Care if he or she dies...

for random maps, PLEASE origianality...
its gets boring having the same Arena maps, the Same Footie warz, and eveything...
Things do grow old u know and its one thing to add somthing new to the old, but somtimes u just gotta drop it and go, let it evolve, not rot...

The maps with the unpredictability are the best, alweys...
Footie warz is pretty much every side who has the most wins...
Not to mention, its easy to own using ur armies to lvl ur heroes quickly, its the same stratagies over and over...

give it a kick

Fastest Maps on StarCraft are a perfect expample of how to rlly ruin somthing thru repitition.
Im not bragging, believe me, but i make origianal SC-BW maps and nearly every one that joins my games alweys drop jaws at it...
My battles are alweys surprising, they never get old...
And every time i ply it, it never repeats...
With Fastest Maps, i can use the same race, same stratagy and get the same out come...
If u study Game Design, this is EXACTLY wot u DO NOT want for any game ply...

Origianality and Unpredictalbility

think on it... 2 best things...

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You know people always get different ways of making a map. Making the same type of map over and over again becomes boring. And more than 60% of the people play DotA and not other good games.... World of Warctraft 1.3, 1.4, 1.6.1, 1.6.2 etc etc... is it played? = NO.

-Rui

Level 22
I would like to add to this.

Mainly, in the form of thing you should AVOID doing when making maps.

1. Full house only game. Don't do them, getting full house games on b.net is very difficult, especially when factoring in leavers and theives. Even if you do get a full house, it often takes more then one attempt at a map to understand what to do. So my suggestion is to take the extra time and make it so it spawns less enemies when less players are present. Simple player slot status conditions can easily accomplish that when spawning units.

2. No-solo play maps. Don't do them. Every, and I do mean EVERY map should have solo gameplay support. If a player downloads your map, and can't even test it out, how do you expect him to host it on b.net? People don t just host randomly downloaded maps without playing them. If it's an open rpg that you don;t want peope cheating on, make a trigger to break the save/load code when only 1 human player is present.

3. Excessive version number. Don't do them. It looks ver unprofessional to have your version number look like "1.23.4b BETA FINAL *GOLD*" DOn;t have your version number more then #.# digits, followe d by "beta" if it is a beta. No one cares if its gold because gold maps get updated frequeently, too, unless you completely misunderstand the meaning. Wait till there's enouph significant changed before making a new version, with the exeption being if you are fixng a critical bug you just found. Don't release a new version every time you place a new doodad.

4. Make your own maps, don't use maps that originally beloned to other people, even if they did go open scourse (like DotA). You will never improve your mapping skills if you only do a fraction of the work when making a map. Even if your work isnt good, you will get more respect if you make your own from scratch then if you make a simple edit of someone else's map.

5. Unfinished maps. Don't submit those. No one likes to play unfinished maps. Simply saying "but it's just a beta, I want to see what people think of it so far" is a wrong answer. Finish them. 'nuff said.

6. Demo maps. Demo maps should only be made if you are tying to build up hype for a lengthly campaign. Avoid making them for simgle map RPG's and such

7. Avoid causing misunderstandings with map lables.Know the difference between "Alpha" and "beta" maps. A beta map is a map that is finished, just not perfected due to lack of public gameplay, so it's completed, but may have bugs and imbalances. An alpha-stage map is a map that is not finished, or in the process of being built. Lable your maps accordingly.

8. Avoid using l33t. It makes you sound/look like an undereducated, pre-preschool reading level moron that can't even spell the most simple words.

9.Avoid using usless descriptions. Map credits can be given in a quest description. Save the map description for something that will make your map stand out, not a bunch of shout-outs.

That's all I have for now.
-VGsatomi

Status
Not open for further replies.