• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Please give terrain tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I'm just beginning to start the terrain for my campaign, but I have no idea how to go about it. I don't know how I should use textures, doodads, height, and cliffs to make nice looking terrain.

The campaign, or most of it, takes place in the Sunken Ruins

Please give me tips or suggestions on how to create good terrain. I will give credit in campaign for any help I can get. Thanks.

Level 8
Aight, kool.

How do you want to do this? I've already got most of the unit data finished and a crappy terrain that I use for testing it on (An island with a big mountain in the middle and some trees).

I have not finished making up the story, so i'm not certain about what the levels will be. I'll get back to it as soon as I can.

Also, how do you take screenshots and put them on your posts? That would help.

Level 16
Here's a couple tips:
-Don't leave level terrain the whole time, nor concentrate a bunch of well done crates and rough terrain in one area
-Put trees in like a forest. But don't clump them in a strange way. Make it so a couple trees fit about one big square in the editor in a clearing so it cuts off some vision and makes it look nice.
-Put things like rushes and rocks here and there, or even better, on cliffsides to make the effect that it's like a pristine area
-Don't paint with roads and terrains. For example, in an Ashenvale area, you could use a combination of grasses, vines, dirt, and leaves in a clearing for a forest litter effect
-For an island, make water and use the raise tool for a smooth island with a clean, non-ramped effect. However, adding a raise cliff can be a problem

Hope this helps :D

Level 6
Here are some tips for terrain:

-If you are going to make raised area of land, use "Smooth" to even it out. Also, if you think it would look good, add some trees to the hill. :)

-Try to put as much doodads (Trees, rocks, environment stuff...) on top of cliffs to make it look more better...I think...

-If you are going to make rivers out of deep water, you should put some shallow water in some parts to put rocks and swampy plants.

-If you are going to make lakes/bays, try to surround it with trees and rocks.

-Always make paths on the land using a different tile that the units are going to follow (In rpgs, secret passages, whatever...).

-Try to make as many waterfalls as you can if you are going to use an Ashenvale, Sunken Ruins, Lordaeron Summer/Fall, or Barrens on the cliffs you make. Have them also be surrounded by trees and other doodads.

-Never leave a large area of land remain flat, try to make little hills and use "Smooth" on it.

-Do not always use trees to make walls, because they can always be destroyed and you need a flat area to place them. Use raised land or make hills with trees on top instead of just trees on a flat land.

-If you are making rivers, make sure they meet another body of large water so it won't be boring. Or if you want, try to make it on boundaries or at the end of the terrain map instead of connecting it to a lake or whatever.

If this too hard for you to understand, just let me do the terrain for you. Post your unfinished map in this website or let me just make a new map.
Ok...

Level 6
Another thing,

-If you are going to put rocks on your map, have flowers in between them or in them to make them look more decorative...:D

Hey...you have to upload pictures to post them here...

But even if you do, the file size of wc3 images are too big to be uploaded. So you'll have to make the screenshot smaller using an image editor or paint program.
That will reduce the file size.

Level 8
First of all, NoobieMapmaker, i'd assume thats just a name and you're not really a noob. :?

Second, thanks all for the tips, I'll take a look at my map and decide if I wanna try it on my own or if I want someone else to do it.

Thanks for offering, I may need your help. If I do ask someone else to do it, I'd just describe the map I want and have you make it initially, than I'd just add in units and triggers to fit my purposes. Thats the best way I figure it should be done. I still have to decide about what the levels look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.