• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tileset help/suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
So I'm creating a set for a cinematic I hope to make.
Having found some amazing assets and creating some of my own fairly high quality backdrops and other resources I've come across an inconsistency.

The normal Warcraft 3 tiles are really ugly. They're not to bad from the generic top down view. But from a cinematic/aesthetic standpoint they're just bad.

Here's an example:
Capture.JPG

They almost seem to cartoony for what I want to use them for.

Any suggestions?

Level 11
Yeah, I was looking at different tiles; the few issues I have there are the limited choice, the bad quality of some 'HQ/Realistic' tiles and mostly Warcraft 3's terrible compression to 64x64 square tiles.

So wondering if there is any tips/tricks rather than other resources to hide/cover up/make look better rather than other resources.

But thanks for replying.

Level 17
The other options would be to create your own terrain mesh, use ubersplats or custom "ruined ground" models which can be of higher resolution than the tileset.
But those things come with their own issues too.

Level 11
My only thought if I use a custom mesh terrain is; how do I make sure it stays rendered the whole time.
Working with odd camera angles doesn't help haha.

EDIT: Also Talavaj, thank you for your amazing art assets they're gorgeous.
Would I be able to edit them to suit my map a bit more?

Last edited:
Level 17
By making its extents big enough.
The pathing is a bigger problem, you would need a walkable destructible, which cannot be overridden by larger extents.
So you would have to place a doodad at the same position you placed your destructible which would have to have all of its materials transparent.
So that even if the destructible went out of rendering the doodad would stay. (the pathing still works even if the destructible is no longer rendered on screen)
Then you will run into problems with fog of war and lighting, neither of which would work very well with a map-scale doodad.

There is no good way to do it honestly.
The resolution of the default terrain is fixed, it would probably work with a higher resolution targa but the terrain tile is a replaceable blp and you can't replace that with a tga.
You can raise the resolution of the small tile (256x256) to 512p, but that is about it.

Also, I can't edit the models I made, I lost all of the source files sadly.
You can edit them however you want for your map though.

Level 11
Thanks for the information. Not sure how to do all that with making the extents larger and making a walkable destructable (I assume it's fairly simple but), but I'll look into it.

Oh the struggles for the highest quality in such a limited engine (all though it's pretty good for being so 'limited')

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.