• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft I Tilesets Megapack

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has been transfered to the Resource (Skins) section, view the resource/bundle page here to get the updated version of this pack.

(Click the spoiler to view the old post)
Starcraft I incl. Brood War Tilesets

Ported by Strydhaizer

Description

Hello guys. First of all this is my attempt to port the tilesets from the very first Starcraft (including Brood War). My intention of porting these is because we already have Starcraft assets since 2005 but we never really had a tilesets that will fit with it, so I decided to port these. I originally started porting these back in 2013 when my workshop is still operational (Here: StryderZero Terrain tile + Skins Giveaway) however the workshop is already dead and I wasn't really able to complete it (I only ported the jungle theme). I am not really a fan of the transparency I have done before so I decided to re-port the tiles again which is this pack. This pack contain "ALL" the Starcraft tilesets including "ALL" themes (Ash, Badland, Blight - Zerg, Desert, Ice, Installation, Space and Twilight) which you can use along with killst4r's and abriko's assets. I also made sure all the tile variations are included. Check the screenshots below for preview. I have also included test maps for each themes so you can try it out right after the download.

You may also try my template, it uses the same desert themed tiles as the tiles included in this pack.
Check it here: Starcraft I Template(s)

My old friend also used the old version of the tiles I made before.
Check it here: [K40$]-Spectre

You may or may not credit me, it's up to you, the textures are originally made by Blizzard anyway, I only ported it. However you are NOT ALLOWED to redistribute these tiles to other websites.

Note: You will see Barrens tile textures when you try to open these tiles using Warcraft III Model Editor/Magos Model Editos, this is because the alpha/transparency are based on two Barrens tiles, one with opacity and one without opacity to achive the blend effect like how Nan0 made his tilesets. These Barrens tiles texture leftover with every tiles of this pack are NOT VISIBLE ingame because those are transparent.

Additional Note: I DID NOT intentionally attach the item(s) to the thread so that I can edit or update the attachments when this thread gets closed due to inactivity or age. This thread may not be updated when this thread gets closed, however I will update the pastebin when there are updates or new items. I also did this intentionally to keep away from resource thieves out there, I doubt they will bother reading this part.

NOW GO OPEN YOUR WORLD EDITOR AND START MAKING STARCRAFT I MAPS!

Previews and Information

Note: All the preview images and the test maps are already included in the archive.

Ash

ash-png.327237

Test Map Included: Yes
Targa Format Included: Yes
Cliff Texture Included: Yes (Ported)
Water Texture Included: Yes (Lava)
Tiles Included:
• Broken Rock
• Dirt
• Dried Magma (Or High Magma in StarEdit)
• Lava
• Light Ash (Or High Ash in StarEdit)
• Magma
• Shale

Badlands

badlands-png.327238

Water Texture Included: Yes (Same with Jungle Water)
Tiles Included:
• Asphalt
• Dirt
• Grass
• Light Dirt (Or High Dirt in StarEdit)
• Roof

Desert

desert-png.327239

Water Texture Included: Yes (Tar)
Tiles Included:
• Compound
• Crags
• Dirt
• Dune
• Mud
• Rock
• Tar

Ice

ice-png.327240

Water Texture Included: Yes (Water)
Tiles Included:
• Dirt
• Grass
• Ice
• Moguls
• Outpost
• Rock
• Snow
• Water

NOTE: I know the dirt cliff is terrible, but StarEdit uses the same texture as the snow cliffs.

Installation

installation-png.327241

Cliff Texture Included: No (Not Ported / Not Possible)
Water Texture Included: Yes (Bottomless Pit)
Tiles Included:
• Bottomless Pit
• Floor
• Plating
• Roof
• Substructure
• Substructure Panel
• Substructure Plating

Jungle

jungle-png.327242

Tiles Included:
• Dirt
• Grass
• Light Grass (Or High Grass in StarEdit)
• Mud
• Ruin
• Temple
• Water

Space

space-png.327243

Cliff Texture Included: No (Not Ported / Not Possible)
Water Texture Included: Yes (Space)
Tiles Included:
• Catwalk
• Low Platform
• Light Platform (Or High Platform in StarEdit)
• Platform
• Platform Dark
• Plating
• Rust Pit
• Solar
• Space

Twilight

twilight-png.327244

Tiles Included:
• Basilica
• Crevices
• Crushed Rock
• Dirt
• Flagstone
• Mud
• Sunken Rock
• Water

Zerg

zerg-png.327245

Cliff Texture Included: No (Has No Original Cliff Texture)
Water Texture Included: Yes (Has No Original Water Texture)
Tiles Included:
• Zerg

Changelog

Changelog written in the text file included in the pack.

Tools Used

1. paintdotnet (for copying alpha/transparency)
  2. blplab (for batch conversion)
  3. Magos Model Viewer (for conversion)
  4. StarEdit (for the original tiles)
  5. Bandicam (for Screenshots)

Download

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Goddesses almighty!

However, I think it was not necessary to also make a Template thread since you could have used the one with the actual map(s) under Maps/Template.

The screenshots should include the cliff types too. I only see the Desert tileset having it.
One more thing to mention, is that the space "water" doesn't seem to have any stars.
Also, no zerg creep screenie or test map :p

Thank you very much for such wonderful and dedicated work, nevertheless!

EDIT:
Opened the test maps in 1.31.1, 1.30 and 1.29.2. Also tested on 1.27 for the lols and still, the issue persists.

There's some issue with Ash World's cliffs:
StryAshWorldCliffs.png

Same with every tileset for some reason. This problem isn't present on your Jungle World and Desert Template maps.

All you need to do now is find someone who can fix this gray blending on the tilesets:
StryGrayBlending.png

Last edited:
That blending is intentional. It's not really grey it is the second layer that has an 155 opacity, you can see the blended edges are the same texture as the hard texture part (the center).

The ash world cliffs can't be fixed either, until a custom texture is present for the cliffs. The desert is perfect (both tiles and cliffs) because it have custom cliffs textures, the rest have no custom textures.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
That blending is intentional. It's not really grey it is the second layer that has an 155 opacity, you can see the blended edges are the same texture as the hard texture part (the center).
So, could you just make them something like the Warcraft III tiles have it?
The ash world cliffs can't be fixed either, until a custom texture is present for the cliffs there is no way the cliffs can be fixed.
Then, how'd you make the ones for Jungle World and Desert? Could you not do the same or a similar process?

Maybe, a thread should be opened in Requests as someone could do the fixing?

Don't have time to make cliff tiles for now, maybe later. No I don't want to use a single layer transparency like the default Warcraft tiles because it looks terrible for me, and the grass and dark grass for example, are having problems with blending, if you tried Nan0 tiles that is basically what I want this to look like. Now if you try to save all the BW tilesets I made back in 2013 and try it you will understand what I mean.

Edit: The problem with the old tiles is the part where the tiles are fighting should be at the top or the bottom.

Last edited:
Updated. This should fix all the issues. I also updated some parts of the description at the main thread.

v2.0
- Updated ash lava tile (missing blend effect)
- Added cliff textures for ash theme
- Added cliff textures for badland theme
- Added cliff textures for ice theme
- Added cliff textures for jungle theme
- Added cliff textures for twilight theme
- Updated screenshots
- Added zerg test map
- Updated ash shale (fixed the blend edges)
- Updated badlands dirt (fixed the blend edges)
- Added zerg to the thread

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The problem with the old tiles is the part where the tiles are fighting should be at the top or the bottom.
About this, can you not prioritize which to be on top, say, like the rocks over the softer terrain like the crags over the sand in the Desert tileset?
Updated. This should fix all the issues.
Think you should remove version 1 from the pastebin to avoid confusion.
Nice protection with the pastebin, although, now you require an account to download and well, mostly anyone can make one. Also, hopefully pastebins won't fail at one point. Moreover, you can always use the green Report button to ask moderators to re-open the thread.

About the update:
Um, Ice has one cliff as a tech thingy like the Desert's Compound; also you've used the "Compound" version of the cliff for the sides/walls of the cliff and it looks unnatural with the snow (too bad we can't have more cliff types, imagine grass ones, maybe even ice ones too :p).

I see you've made another terrain (dirt) one. Similarly with Jungle World (the other cliff being the temple), Badlands (something like the Compound cliff), Twilight (same Compound style).

The Installation tileset has no cliffs at all (it should have two types). Same goes for Space Station (two types, one of them quite complicated). Ah, wait, you changed it for Desert as well. I guess, they look bad or something? But then, the tech tiles that go with them are not as useful now except as building floors. I guess these cliffs should be made as doodads or something to look better?

It's really nice of you that you've added another cliff tile for those sets which have only one cliff type in the original game.

Hope the rest will come later :D if possible.
Also would love a zerg creep cliff :D

Amazing work, anyhow. You're basically the only one that not only tried it but did it.

My favourite tilesets until now are: Ash (like it the most because it has little to no "gray" blending; love the ash under shallow water), Desert,

Bug report:
On the Ice tileset, the dirt cliff always creates these things on its left/west side with any other tile than dirt:
IceDirtCliffIssue.png

Something similar happens with a lava tile on Ash cliffs but it's more annoying with one type of lava on the one type of cliff:
AshLavaCliffIssue.png

AshLavaCliffIssue2.png

Similarly with the "grass" tile of Badlands on the dirt cliff:
BadlandsCliffIssue.png

Same, with any tile on the green cliff of Jungle World, except the dark grass that doesn't work properly on the dirt cliff on the right/east, this time:
JungleCliffIssue.png

JungleCliffIssue2.png

On Twilight, no matter the tile, except for the cliff's respective/specific/same tile:
TwilightCliffIssue.png

TwilightCliffIssue2.png
Unchangeable even if I try putting a different tile variation over or near.

The creep also has a issue on some cliffs; this just as an example as these aren't really StarCraft cliffs:
CreepCliffIssue.png

Basically these tiles have an issue on their left/west side that's being spammed/repeated. Also happens in shallow water.
Also, generally, tiles have better blending on all sides except their left/west one.

I know you're gonna hate me, hopefully not too much.

If that wasn't enough, I got a question:
How can we add tiles from various tilesets if they are all Barrens based?

Last edited:
To be honest all those problems are cause by how the game actually treats the tile and the cliff textures, I can't really do much with it. The texture with the cliffs are unchangeable, as I said last time the cliffs generates tiles automatically, if it is a dirt cliff it only respects dirt tiles, grass cliff - grass. Also, no you can't prioritize which will be at the top, the warcraft engine doesn't really let you pick what you want to be at the top (not like the galaxy editor) the engine picks what it wants, this is exactly the reason why I made the soft transition on the edges of every tiles, to make it not obvious. The repetition on every cliffs and tiles is normal, it's called tile because it tiles it.

You need to modify the current tilesets (this feature has been present since JNGP (lfor old versions) and 1.28+ (for original editor)) and add another batch of tiles if you want to add more tiles to a single map. If you don't want to use Barrens then you can create your own map, pick your preferred theme and reimport all the tiles you want, don't use the test maps as your starting map.

Edit: No cliffs for space and installation, I already told you this, it's not possible. The cliff textures in the StarEdit are all diagonal while the cliff textures of Warcraft are straight, the straight cliffs can't be ported properly, the rough cliffs however I made a trick to make it work (You will notice all the rough cliffs are V shaped, because I just mirrored the diagonal cliffs of Starcraft, straight cliffs of starcraft however will not look good in Warcraft if you try to V shape it, it will not look straight, even if I use a projection tool to straighten it, the texture will no longer look the same as the original and will blur half of the cliff textures, I tried it). Again, it's not possible, it does not work, and I doubt I will be porting those.

Another Edit: There are no zerg cliffs in Starcraft I unlike Starcraft II therefore don't expect zerg clifs. I called it blight because it's meant to replace the blight tile texture.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
But do I have to for instance leave the Desert as Barrens and modify the path for Twilight as Ashenvale or something so I can have both or parts of them mixed in the same map?

Another Edit: There are no zerg cliffs in Starcraft I unlike Starcraft II therefore don't expect zerg clifs. I called it blight because it's meant to replace the blight tile texture.
But is it possible :D?

even if I use a projection tool to straighten it, the texture will no longer look the same as the original and will blur half of the cliff textures, I tried it

Or any transform tool actually. The perspective of the textures in Starcraft (it is pitched and angled) is not the same as the Warcraft's.

No I will never port it because it's not good, it's not made to be straight. Sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.