• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Through Snow and Ice v.2.4

Mgeterno11 Presents

185996-albums4825-picture49587.png

Map Info:

An epic altered melee map with some miscellaneous features. You have to slay your enemies with the new spectacular spells and new mighty units.

Future update: New loading screen, and also, youtube video. Furthermore, an Arch Druid hero for the Night Elf race.

Number of Players: 10 Estimated Gameplay time: 30-60 Minutes

Features:

Gold Mines

• Some of them contains 25000 gold.

They are guarded by strong creeps.

The creeps drop precious items which can increase your Hero's power much.

Always conquer a second or third mine. This will increase your gold income very much.

Creeps

Like in every melee map there are easy, medium and hard-difficulty creeps. They drop sometimes really useful items. However, beware of the creeps, because most of them are very strong. But you will claim your reward because they drop several items such as artifacts and tomes.

Neutral Buildings

There are several neutral buildings, they are guarded by creeps, except the Tavern. You can also find two custon neutral buildings, such as Artifact Shop, and Mercenary hiring lodge.

• Four Mercenary camps
  • Five Goblin Mercants
  • Four Goblin Laboratories
  • Three Taverns
  • Two Marketplaces
  • Five Fountain of Healths
  • Five Fountain of Manas
  • and other custom buildings

Custom Heroes

There are several custom heroes which are more powerful that the standard heroes.They have spectacular and special abilities, including Auras which may increase your troops' health regeneration or decrease the enemy's moovement speed. Each of them has their own advantages and disadvantages. You might find them helpful in harmful circumstances.

Human, Orc, and Undead have 3 Custom Heores
Night Elf has two only, but one of them has a healing spell, too.

Some else stuff about map:

Damage and Spell Name Detection

These two feaures help you alot during the game becasue you can see how much damage did the units of the enemy or your units take. You can even see the name of the casted spell, which allows you to react instantly, and try to awoid the spell.

wc3scrnshot_100216_192000_33-jpg.249655

Screenshots and Videos:

wc3scrnshot_100216_191926_28-jpg.249645

wc3scrnshot_100216_190702_07-jpg.249653

131534d1387805332-through-snow-ice-v-2-1-wc3scrnshot_122313_141438_12.jpg

wc3scrnshot_100216_191841_23-jpg.249654

wc3scrnshot_100216_191446_19-jpg.249644

wc3scrnshot_100216_192141_39-jpg.249646

wc3scrnshot_100216_192204_41-jpg.249647

wc3scrnshot_100216_192306_43-jpg.249648

wc3scrnshot_100216_192321_44-jpg.249649

Change Log:

Added on 8th January 2017

• Modified terrain, added doodads
  • Fixed Snow Queen's stock start delay, because she is a Tavern hero
  • Added New Minimap image
  • Added more custon icons e.g. for Target Diminishing Aura
  • Wips not longer builds the Ancient Protector. You have to build a Nature Tower, and then you can upgarde to it.

Added on 29th December 2016

• Fixed terrain, filled up the empty parts
  • Psycho Hook is fixed, and now it has a level 6 destcriction
  • Added more abilities e.g. Cripling Arrow and Target Diminishing Aura
  • Fixed tooltips
  • Fixed item loots
  • The Dragon Island is now longer reachable by air
  • Added new upgrades for Human Race
  • Bone Thoughness no longer increases movement speed, now it increases attack and armor.

Added on 2nd October 2016
  • Fixed terrain tilesets, starting locations are filled up with trees, and added more doodads
  • Knights and Gryphon riders no longer have the animal War training upgrade, their hit points are increased (Knights->1120, Gryphons->1030)
  • Troll Axethrower no longer has the Berserker upgrade, its hit point is increased to 450, and also his damage.
  • Troll Axethrower now has the Berserk ability
  • Tri-Arrow is removed for the Ranger, and the Mass Psycho Hookspell is added to the Ranger's Ultimate
  • Fixed location leak for the Orc Pure Voodo and the Human Laser impulse
  • Added some new HD screenshots

Added on 2nd April 2016

• Fixed some terraining issues, balanced starting locations and filled up with trees, and the north camp can also be reached from two directions, now.
  • Bandit Camp from southwest is removed, and another creep camp is added in replacement.
  • Removed blue fires due to lag reason
  • Props and environmental doodads are placed and the tileset is textured.
  • Removed the Electric Rider from the game with his spells
  • A nem human hero, called the Ranger is added with some new spells e.g. Burning Arrow, which is made by krisserz
  • Night Elf Sorceress now has the Nature Restoracion healing spell.
  • Fixed memory leaks and deleted unnecessary things
  • Added some new icons, e.g. for Moonlight Aura, and new model for the Ranger
  • Fixed disabled icons
  • Updated tooltips
  • All worker's build time is reduced to 6.
  • Updated credit list

Added on 23 December 2013
  • Modified the terrain, made the bridges wider, placed more doodads, and removed the unnecessary trees, and textured the ground.
  • New mass upgrades for each race.
  • Each of the imported spells are debugged.
  • Fixed creep camps, and placed them a bit furhter from the bases.
  • New Loading screen and minimap image.
  • More icons, custom units and models are added.
  • Updated credits list.
  • Removed memory leaks.

Added:30 Apr 2012
  • Fixed terrain bugs (pathing, doodads and terrain)
  • Fixed creep camps
  • Added more heroes
  • Added spells
  • Added more icons (included disabled version) , models and skins
  • Fixed all kinds of bugs
  • Changed loading screen and minimap image
  • Fixed description
  • Fixed tooltips
  • Fixed triggers
  • The map is now protected and its size is reduced.

Version 1.03c
  • Fixed bugs and abilities
  • Added new abilities for the Obsidian Overlord and for the Templalry Captain
  • Added disable icons
  • Win changed.
  • Fixed Spirricius
  • Added more creeps and fixed terrain
Version 1.03b
  • Fixed creep acquistion ranges
  • Fixed hero abilities and items
  • Fixed food costs
  • Fixed requirements
  • Fixed unit abilities
Version 1.03
  • Improved terrain
  • Added more heroes
  • Fixed leaks and bugs and creep ranges and abilities
  • Imported more models and icons and skins. Changed the model file of the Teleport.
  • Added a frozen UI.
  • Added more abilities.
  • Changed units and improved tooltips

Credits:

Special Thanks:

• -for helping me with the terrain by xDeathKnightx and rysnt11 and many
    others.
  • -for cleavinghammer: stating out several bugs in my map
  • -for rysnt11 making me cool ice models, a banner and helping me
  • -for Bugz, abgm, sonofjay, Darkfang, Kestuno, Kl3sk, Warchief Aeon and WK3S3K for helping me every time
  • -for UndeadImmortal: making spells for my map
  • -for Alok: helping me with fixing the spell leaks
  • -for Sellenisko:the Deathwing model from the Cataclysm AoS map and the MotherSharaz model.
  • -for krisserz: for the Burning Arrow spell
  • -for D4RK_G4ND4LF: for the Psycho Hook spell
  • -for Darkfang: for the icon of the Psycho Hook and the Death Aura
  • -and for all other users who have helped me and created models and icons which is in that map. If i have forgotten someone for the list please tell me.

Author's notes:

Please rate and comment. Thank you. If you find a bug please report it to me immediately. Thanks.

[TD] [/TD]

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
frozen,icy,freeze,cold, through snow and, ice, lots, of, creeps, gold, dragon
Contents

Through Snow and Ice v.2.4 (Map)

Reviews
12:32, 30th Mar 2014 Orcnet: Map approved and renewed as recommended for game value and accepted to be played online via friends or others.
No problem, Warchief Aeon. I will put the custom races to my map in october because i need to study a lot. :D I hope your computer will be ok.

What is your race, Darkfang? Please send it to me in a pm (the model file, icons, details, etc.) . It might be interesting. :D Yes i think yours will be good. :D

ill upload my map the next week, there you might see it. My race is the blood elves, and demons (later ill upload the naga, the forsaken, and the trolls). Though i still need to fix the building style to match with wow.

Dont listen to Rysnt when he talks about murguls in a separated race, the murguls are used by the naga as slave warriors

Level 1
Just 2 quick things I noticed after playing this map;

1: The demon hero for the Undead is quite overpowered, I am not sure if this is intentional or not, but divine armor for a hero is a bit powerful :p

2: the bloodlust spell for the Wild Sorcerer has three levels but the tooltop does not reflect change.

Level 15
Just 2 quick things I noticed after playing this map;

1: The demon hero for the Undead is quite overpowered, I am not sure if this is intentional or not, but divine armor for a hero is a bit powerful :p

2: the bloodlust spell for the Wild Sorcerer has three levels but the tooltop does not reflect change.
Many thanks that you told me these things about my map.:thumbs_up: I will fix the undead hero and reduce its agility.
And i will fix the bloodlust's tooltip, too.

Many thanks that you told me these things about my map.:thumbs_up: I will fix the undead hero and reduce its agility.
And i will fix the bloodlust's tooltip, too.

and take out divine armor. Also fix his spells cause he is a super bug. Remember setiing camp vision for creeps, and please check the description of your units and spells.
Uh and you used my death rune icon for your death aura. You should put a passive version on it when it is working. also change the tooltip to death aura and put the explination. Else it should be only a life degeneration aura.

I have a proposition for you:
Obsidian Aura: Decreases the mana regeneration of the hero while active but degenerates nearby enemies. You can do that with immolation for tooltip trigger order activation, and fix it with trigger add/remove ability. Also check for a model for the aura of the obsidian overlord. And please fix his abilities. e,e

Level 1
Another thing I've found is that the Precious Treasure of Spiccirius drops off of other mobs, I found that it had dropped off one of the level 8 Ice revenants, and a Tuskar chieftan. I also reccomend fixing the tooltip on that item just to make the game more clean :)

Being able to acquire more than one of the "Unique" items from the last boss by just killing normal creeps almost renders killing the dragon pointless.

Another thing that could be fixed is that some heroes have no food cost, I only really saw it in the custom heroes such as the Chaplain, Ranger, or Snow Queen.

Level 15
Many thanks both of you. :D I will fix these things. :D I have already fixed them.
Anyway. Locwar, thatks for your rep+! :D
So i fixed the food costs. I will fix the Spirricius item, too and its tooltip. I will fix its name and category ,too.
I already fixed the divine armor and the warlock's abilities. :)
Yes, your aura icon is cool and i will fix it to the passive version. Why are the Obsisians Overlord's abilities are so bad?
I will look at the races in your map, Darkfang, i hope i will like it. :D
Well, in the ability (aura) triggers you should help me, i am new to triggerings.

Anyway, do you like playing my map? :)

Last edited:
Many thanks both of you. :D I will fix these things. :D I have already fixed them.
Anyway. Locwar, thatks for your rep+! :D
So i fixed the food costs. I will fix the Spirricius item, too and its tooltip. I will fix its name and category ,too.
I already fixed the divine armor and the warlock's abilities. :)
Yes, your aura icon is cool and i will fix it to the passive version. Why are the Obsisians Overlord's abilities are so bad?
I will look at the races in your map, Darkfang, i hope i will like it. :D
Well, in the ability (aura) triggers you should help me, i am new to triggerings.

Anyway, do you like playing my map? :)

Yes, but it needs fixes, you should add the modes urgently. Try fixing the creep camps. Else you might like my map (when i upload it). Try fixing the powers. there are powers that are really easy to make, others not so much. When a map picks up fame you can easily gain help from triggerers and spell makers. And the obsidian Overlord is really bad for a hero. It makes no sense at all.

Should you fix the hero for something that makes sense.
Remember the obsidians consume great amounts of magic to gain it for them selves. The obsidian should be a hero of low intelligence but greater mana capacity (each power level should increase the mana capacity). I may do an example hero and show it to you later. I dont have space in my map to excede the number of custom models i can import.

Level 15
Yes, but it needs fixes, you should add the modes urgently. Try fixing the creep camps. Else you might like my map (when i upload it). Try fixing the powers. there are powers that are really easy to make, others not so much. When a map picks up fame you can easily gain help from triggerers and spell makers. And the obsidian Overlord is really bad for a hero. It makes no sense at all.

Should you fix the hero for something that makes sense.
Remember the obsidians consume great amounts of magic to gain it for them selves. The obsidian should be a hero of low intelligence but greater mana capacity (each power level should increase the mana capacity). I may do an example hero and show it to you later. I dont have space in my map to excede the number of custom models i can import.
Thanks again, Darkfang. :) I will fix the creep camps and fix the Obsidian Overlord, too.
So would you help me with some cool spells and auras for my map? Because i am new to triggering.
I think the Death Aura is good for the Obsidian hero. It reduces HP and speed of the enemy units. And i will make an ability for it, which heals friendly units very fast. And from level 6, he summons a powerful Obsidian unit (i will look for the model), so it will be much better like that. :D

Level 15
Thanks, marko9. :D
Why is it a bit inbalanced? Please tell me which things should i fix?
The heroes are powerful enough. And the creeps are strong, but this is the challenge in this map.
I fixed all the bugs in the game. But why are the disable icons are still green cause i imported the disable icon, too.

Thanks, marko9. :D
Why is it a bit inbalanced? Please tell me which things should i fix?
The heroes are powerful enough. And the creeps are strong, but this is the challenge in this map.
I fixed all the bugs in the game. But why are the disable icons are still green cause i imported the disable icon, too.

Cause you need to import a disabled version for the DISPAS too.

Level 15
Yes, i know it, thanks. :)
And marko9, why my map is a bit inbalanced? :)Please tell me that and i will make my map much better. I am trying to do my best. :D

For everyone: the poll will be closed soon and i think the 3rd choice will win. (To win you have to kill Spirricius but you will have enemies.)

Last edited:
Level 1
Oh I have one quick thing to say, it doesnt have to do with the map ingame, but as far as downloading it could you have versions of the map.

Ex:v1.1a
and when you patch it update the version to 1.1b

It just makes it much easier to know if I have the map up to date. :)

Level 15
Mgeterno, i would like to suggest to increase the armor of that 'deathwing' to about 60 or so, and increase the attack delay time of him to 2 or 2.5s, oh, and increase the damage dealt by him too if you planning on increasing the attack delay
Thanks, rysnt11. :D :thumbs_up:Yes, it is a good idea to make him stronger and i think i will add some abilities for it.

For everyone, the poll is now closed. So to win you have to kill Spirricius but you will have enemies. :D

Ras

Ras

Level 6
This map need some AI, only editing some of the heros and % (for the cpu controll more heroes tan the 4 basics)

the hero of the humans "paladin" like a templar have the same abilities of the paladin (normal) you can add some damage spells for a templar

You can capture (the power of the dragon hawk) spirricus and for this is easy to kill hem

This map need some AI, only editing some of the heros and % (for the cpu controll more heroes tan the 4 basics)

the hero of the humans "paladin" like a templar have the same abilities of the paladin (normal) you can add some damage spells for a templar

You can capture (the power of the dragon hawk) spirricus and for this is easy to kill hem

For sure, though this map still has terraining issues, and though he will do well on adding some better spells to his map. Ill help him later when i have time to myself u.u, but i must admit that the concept is good, Though he will do well if he starts asking for help in the request forum and in the description of his map, so he can get a team.

Level 15

Thanks for your review, diegokopo. :D i am trying to make the best in this map. I am planning to add the AI code and trigger, but i am too busy to make it. I am planning to add custom races to it, when i have time, of course.

I have already fixed the Templar's abilities.

How Spirricius can be captured? He is above level 20. What you mean about the dragon hawk? Maybe the Daelchas dragon?

Darkfang, i am trying to do my best. You gave me a great idea: i will post the triggering requests to the request forum. :D But what are the terraining issues?

Level 1
Kl3sk Reviews : Through Snow and Ice
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version : 1.03c
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Type :

Description : 2/5 (lacking)

Mediocre. You used BB codes, but the over-all aspect of the description isn't really pleasant. Here is an example of a good description...but then again, it's up to the author how he wants to introduce potential players to his map.

In-Game Review

Terrain

Though probably not the best looking or well executed, it is a desolate wasteland of snow, as one could expect. One complaint though : why, of all things, did you have to place a FIRE dragon , surrounded by floating baren rocks, in such a map ? It blows the whole theme right off. Also, this dragon..."borrowed" from Astral II, by any chance ?...originality at its best. (3/5)

Models

Starting with the creeps, custom models balance out with regular W3 ones at around 40/60 , but certain hero models look quite nice. A few custom hero models are also seen for each race and some nice gateways as well. Nothing special, but a good touch. (4/5)

Icons

I like the addition of custom icons to the new heroes (but that's about it as far as imported icons go). Old heroes , units = same icons. (3/5)

Skills

I'm a little disappointed. I'll state the two reasons :

1- Originality : absent. The "new" heroes you added are ...I can't even understand where you were going with this, but you simply took several old , classic W3 heroes, changed their models and changed one of their regular skills from their default skill-set...this...makes...no...sense!
2- Practical reasons : related to the first point I made, your lack of originality also plays a role in game-play. For example : For what practical reason would you take the basic "Unholy Aura" ability (grants health regeneration and increases movement speed) and turn it into "Death Aura" (decreases enemies' life regenerations as well as their movement speed) whilst still keeping the previous skill for your "new heroes". You have spells / skills like > Finger of Death ; > Rain of Fire ; > Fan of Knives, etc. that have barely been touched, and yet they're added as "new" abilities. But humor me this : even IF this wasn't the case, why duplicate the same skill and paste it on another hero ? How much sense does that make ? (1/5)

Misc

Though you've customised a lot of models, a few skins here and there and made some mobs dificult to solo without reinforcements, there just isn't a single shred of creativity, originality , or simply put : nothing new to the already vast realm of Altered Melee maps. I will discuss this later in the conclution. (1/5)

Game-Play

Basic melee / altered melee game-play. You've got your gold mines, trees, waygates, creep camps, etc. ; I'd guess the only "twist" is you have to slay a huge dragon situated in the bottom right corner of the map, near a floating baren wasteland that doesn't blend in at all. It IS a challenge, but makes no sense in the world of melee maps. (that's why they're MELEE maps and not RPGs. i.e. : "Comple X task for Y reward" < -- in this case : victory). But enough about that : let's talk about how the map collapses under its own weight. Case in point : the creeps. I don't know what their "aquire target" range is, but if you DARE try to build structures a few pixels farther than you should, and you'll have a whole creep camp raming your ass back to square 1. This is a real issue, as I do not know other melee maps where you aren't allowed to expand due to such ..."inconveniences". My advice : fix it. (2/5)

Do I recommend (Altered) Melee fans to play this ? : Yes (I'm only saying so because it's good for a first run. Enthusiasm quickly plumets into disappointment)

Do I recommend non-(Altered) Melee fans to play this : No (Not worth playing at this point)

Will I play this map again : No (And I'll probably stick by this until real changes are made)

Final verdict : I'm not sure if you've done this before, but the map itself yells "novice". There's so much more you can do with this, even before calling it a Beta. I call Rejected! (until updated) 2/5

* Foot-note : you may PM me for further enlightment.

Level 15
Many thanks for that complete excellent review. :D I really appreciate that.

Yes, i am trying to do my best. But i cannot make abilities with triggers so i will create a thread in the Mad development section, when i have time.
I have already remove the Outland doodads from my map. I will fix the creeps, i will add doodads to them and decrease the acquistion range.

Yoi have given me a great idea! I will customize the 4 old races, change skins, icons and models, and make new mighty units. But i am busy, you know i need to study a lot, so i will make it in the next weekend.

Why is the terrain isn't the best-looking (i mean without the outland doodads), what sould i make to be the best? I will fix that too and more if yuu tell me how to do it much better.

Thanks again. :D For Vengeancekael, too. :D Now i know what to do.

Yes, i am trying to do my best. But i cannot make abilities with triggers so i will create a thread in the Mad development section, when i have time.
I have already remove the Outland doodads from my map. I will fix the creeps, i will add doodads to them and decrease the acquistion range.

Yoi have given me a great idea! I will customize the 4 old races, change skins, icons and models, and make new mighty units. But i am busy, you know i need to study a lot, so i will make it in the next weekend.

Why is the terrain isn't the best-looking (i mean without the outland doodads), what sould i make to be the best? I will fix that too and more if yuu tell me how to do it much better.

Well, i was actually planning for you to make a fusion of your map with mine, but you can go wherever u want =D

Level 1

First off, no sweat. I played this map when it was still a Beta but didn't want to review it too early. I saw you were constantly updating it, yet it still needs certain improvements ; And here's what I think should be done :

- About the doodads, fixing the creeps : you DO need something to set your map apart from other altered-melee maps. Some do it via terrain, some by a feature or two / game-play elements ; Most importantly, a stable map is a good map.

- Customizing races : hmm...why not ? After all, I saw you were going for a more vampire-ish theme for the Undead, and a more female / amazon feel with the Night Elves. Let's see what you can do ^^

- The Terrain : It's not "bad", but that's just it - it's pretty bland. The paths and slopes are okay I guess, but it needs a "makeover". I mean, if you took the time to import those models / skins , etc. , why not give the Hive a little search for ice-themed doodads and so on ? Again : the terrain is of no major concern, it's not an RPG or whatever , it would just be nice to make it more appealing. And trust me, when it comes to melee maps, you'll want more eye-candy, or anything else to raise the map's replay value.

That's all. Good luck!

First off, no sweat. I played this map when it was still a Beta but didn't want to review it too early. I saw you were constantly updating it, yet it still needs certain improvements ; And here's what I think should be done :

- About the doodads, fixing the creeps : you DO need something to set your map apart from other altered-melee maps. Some do it via terrain, some by a feature or two / game-play elements ; Most importantly, a stable map is a good map.

- Customizing races : hmm...why not ? After all, I saw you were going for a more vampire-ish theme for the Undead, and a more female / amazon feel with the Night Elves. Let's see what you can do ^^

- The Terrain : It's not "bad", but that's just it - it's pretty bland. The paths and slopes are okay I guess, but it needs a "makeover". I mean, if you took the time to import those models / skins , etc. , why not give the Hive a little search for ice-themed doodads and so on ? Again : the terrain is of no major concern, it's not an RPG or whatever , it would just be nice to make it more appealing. And trust me, when it comes to melee maps, you'll want more eye-candy, or anything else to raise the map's replay value.

That's all. Good luck!

Well, but first i have to get my map aproved, then i have to send you my database (really heavy) xD.

I want a review from you for my map when i upload it *w*

Level 15

That's all. Good luck!

Thanks, again your review. :D:thumbs_up:
I have already fixed the creeps a bit, now they won't attack the base and i fixed the dodaads, too. Of, course, i will lok for some tutorials and more resources.
The terrain is fixed now a bit and i am planning to further remake it, too. But i won't change the paths, i think this is the challenge.
The place where the big dragon is changed, too, but i do not have time to edit it.
I am too busy to make spells with triggers so please help me to paste it to my map, please. I have already made some spells. If the missile in the NE healng spell ( Nature ...) does not work, please fix it for me.
I also imported some models and icons to the races, too and i am palling to add more.

Darkfang, please paste your map again, so i can look at it. :thumbs_up:
Sorry for not respinding, but i am really busy now.
Here is the link to my edited map and now you can see what changes i made in it: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=roxsit

Level 15
Thanks. :DThe map can be played on Bnet, of course. I will look at your map, Darkfang, and please tell me what is should fix it it.
I will try to reduce the filesize of the map, but don't want to delete the improted things, i need them. I will try to use the Wc3mapomtimizer to reduce the filesize.
EDIT: I have tried to reduce its size with the Optimizer, but it did't helped, actually, it even made the size a bit largers. So it will remain like that, but the loading does not take a long time.

Last edited:
Level 8
I have tried to reduce its size with the Optimizer, but it did't helped, actually, it even made the size a bit largers.

You used the latest version of Vexorian's Map Optimizer? If so did you tick all the boxes in the program? I mean it has always reduced the filesize of my maps.

Here's a tutorial if you're not sure: http://www.3ice.hu/blog/protect-warcraft-maps/

Level 15
This is the most downloaded and commented PENDING map in Hive
Yes, because it was rejected after the downloads since there were still bugs in my map, but i updated it. :D So all of the bugs have been fixed then.
UndeadImmortal, many thanks that you told me this and i will send my map in am Pm. :thumbs_up:
Would someone create a complete review of my map to see what should i fix?