• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TheDarkCaptain.blp

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
Hi all,
this is the first skin I made.

Ther's not much to tell about it, its some kind of deathknight version of the captain...

Keywords:
deathknight, captain, human, undead, musmaker, todesritter, evil
Contents

TheDarkCaptain.blp (Texture)

Reviews
15:33, 13th Sep 2009 67chrome: The skin section is meant for completed resources, not for ones that need a lot more work to even be approve able. If you want more feedback on this skin you can create a thread for it in the 2D art forums :)

M

15:33, 13th Sep 2009
67chrome: The skin section is meant for completed resources, not for ones that need a lot more work to even be approve able. If you want more feedback on this skin you can create a thread for it in the 2D art forums :)

Level 15
but it looks nice and is rather useful. after all, it is a database for resources to be used in maps, not an artistic gallery =))
usefulness > artistism, complexity and all that kind of things =P

Level 11
Nice job. And I don't think its a complete recolor. I mean armor stile is completely changed (texture part).

Excellent for a first skin.

Level 38
The only changes I see you did is recolor the armor, add green lightning bolts on everything, and a few details her and there, mainly the skull on the chest and shield. The face definitely needs more work, the portrait of a unit is just as important as the unit itself in most circumstances. The model only uses the face down to the nose, but the flat purple color it is right now doesn't say death knight to me, I'd go as far to say its to intensely purple for a night elf.

Change the underlying armor style to your own design, drawing lightning bolts over Blizzard's work doesn't count as much freehand work. Something much more interesting could be done with the sword as well, runes, frosty/unholy/bloody effects, something. The captain's sword with a green center instead of gold is very meh.

Also, the armor patterning seems to end rather soon on the helmet, just because the wing design ends their on the original skin does not mean it will work out ending their with the lightning motif.

But basically this skin is a re-color, if you want to get it approved change the armor you are putting the lightning on top of. Also, for future reference you should save surface details such as the lightning bolts on a separate layer, so that you won't have to completely re-do them every time you need to touch up what lies under them.

Level 2
Thank you very much chrome, that was a very useful comment :DDD
Gonna implement your tips as good as i can.

Edit:
Hi Comu,
I needed some time to understand what you ment by saying "make your own texture"
i rly thought i did, sorry ^^

But now i understand what you said.
Okay, well, this time i gonna start like THIS
NewBeginning48f45.jpg

I hope you agree with it ^^

(I started with sword and shield, and they look rly sexy ingame...
well, thats my opinion...)

This is just an edit, so i hope somebody will read it xD

Last edited:
Level 9
It seems acceptable, and I'm sure it looks much better ingame. From here, the screenshot you gave us, it looks just about alright. 4/5 Recommended