• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Yet another crappy terrain from myself. I am mainly wanting feedback and perhaps some ideas on what MORE to add, as I feel it is a little empty at this point.

Grasslands.jpg

Level 6
looks nice, but where did you get those stones? I am wondering everybody has it but I don't can't see it in UTM

Level 19
It doesn't look crappy at all. It's filled with potential. Here's some feedback on how to improve:

- Make one big light source from above that covers the entire terrain, and tint it down (instead of 2 very bright ones)
- Place the tree most to the left a little more to the right, and change the location of your unit so that it follows the golden ratio (it will make the picture easier on the eye)

Level 17
- Make one big light source from above that covers the entire terrain, and tint it down (instead of 2 very bright ones)

Light source as in the one of the rays I used, sun flare or one of the UTM lights?

Level 6
I agree with megafyr it really has great potential, I really like the rock-formation on the left side! Ah and maybe you could change the colour of the grass its a bit too green I think and yeah experiment with that light sources.

Level 17
Update. Screwed up on the lightning, but add some changes such as small meadows to help give some more colour and variation to the grass. I am struggling with the sky, and will hopefully pay more attention to it tomorrow.

Grasslands2.jpg

Level 35
Yet another crappy terrain from myself.

That doesn't inspire much desire to help. >.>
- Saying that as an advice.

As my collegue Magafyr is pointing out, this terrain actually looks pretty promising. And I am sure he have already given handfull's of good advices.

Also as Oziris is saying, you might want to push back the terrain and add 2-3 layers of mountains in the background, gradually fading out in the fog. To give the terrain this live feeling of a horizon beyond the horizon.

What I'd like to see is the usage of a better grass model, the one you are currently using doesn't look too good, and especially not with such a terrain. I would reccomend the "Shrub: Bush 4" if I am not entirely mistaken. I would also advice you to make the hills on the right side look less... Smooth, you'd want to make them look natural, have a more random hight variation and probably a little more hillsides like the one you made to the left.

- I'd also very much like it if you removed that unit completely, personally I dont think bad looking units and good looking terrains is a very good mix :)

Level 17
Thank you for all of your help. I will hopefully get back to the terrain today or tonight.Any tips on the sky? I'm not very happy with it.

Grasslands3.jpg

Update: New screenie!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.