• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Learn Terraining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
hello everyone, i want to ask whether it's better to use Dark Grass or Short Grass for my terrain. if you have any other idea, feel free to suggest :D

and also my Terrain looks empty :/
what should i add to make it lively ?

i would also like to know what you think about the waterfall :)

Attachments

• Dark Grass.jpg
    Dark Grass.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Short Grass.jpg
    Short Grass.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Waterfall 2.jpg
    Waterfall 2.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 294
  • Waterfall 1.jpg
    Waterfall 1.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 274

Kusanagi Kuro

Hosted Project: SC
Level 10
What is the time of the day when u take the short grass picture? IT's seems less lighten than the dark grass (which seems very weird). I like the 2nd water fall. It's very natural.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
To learn anything you need to start at brick one:

1. Two tiles can't hold the terrain up by themselves. Use different tilesets and make them blend well together. Don't just put in a square patch of dirt and spam grass around it. Even barren wasteland is a combination of dirt, rough dirt, sand, rocks and possibly patches of dirty grass. Devil's in the details.

2. Don't use the plateau tool for hills. You can use the larger terrain brushes to get the general outline of the hill and then gradually use smaller ones for details. Terrain is never flat. Like with tiles, even if you're not after the Himalayas, there's always details to be put.

When you navigate a new forum, it's always helpful to read all the stickies.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...e-terraining-hives-terraining-section-184427/

Level 12
Thanks for the feedback.

1. Two tiles can't hold the terrain up by themselves. Use different tilesets and make them blend well together. Don't just put in a square patch of dirt and spam grass around it. Even barren wasteland is a combination of dirt, rough dirt, sand, rocks and possibly patches of dirty grass. Devil's in the details.
it is sad that everytime i put lot of different tiles, it always look messy afterwards. here i put a combination of dark grass, short grass, cobble path and sand. though i think the sand does not fit there.

2. Don't use the plateau tool for hills. You can use the larger terrain brushes to get the general outline of the hill and then gradually use smaller ones for details. Terrain is never flat. Like with tiles, even if you're not after the Himalayas, there's always details to be put.
weird, i never use plateau tools on making this. i don't even know what that's for. i only used raise and lower tool and then CnP the terrain to make it flat because it's pain in the ass if i need to over-click the raise tool to make a higher terrain. i will of course add some different height to the terrain.

When you navigate a new forum, it's always helpful to read all the stickies.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...e-terraining-hives-terraining-section-184427/
thanks for the link :)

here is what it looks now :

Attachments

• Terrain.jpg
    Terrain.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 199
Level 11
That is nice but do more close screens so we can see and comment, the Cliffs are too empty and ugly since they use only one tile and no rocks. So you should add some rocks and other doodads on the Cliffs, you can find help on terraining section ;)

Level 30
Very nice terrain but to give you tips, bro. Terrain is a little flat, use Raise/Lower or Noise/Smooth tool to make it not that flat. In your 3rd Screenshot about the Waterfall, dont put Waterfall in a platform that has no water. I suggest you to put water in the platform and there you put the terrain. Also, try to mix up some tiles because it only has one type of tiles But still this is a job well done, +REP, best bro!

Seen your latest screenshot, looks much better but I still suggest the waterfall to be put on a platform that has water. Still, once again this is worth +REPPING!

Status
Not open for further replies.