• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
This is a terrain that represents the middle east. I could include Arabia maybe later. The terrain shape looks like the middle east from satelite. I have been using the tile according to the geography of that area. I think the map looks good for representing middle east, but I think that the tiles and trees are bad. Can anyone say how can I improve this terrain in tiles and trees. I used various trees, but I do not like them. Also the terrain looks bad to me. There is a empty space between trees, not covered by shadow, and I can not make it destructible, because the trees are not for harvesting. But I need help about getting better tiles and trees. Please say what tiles and trees should I use in the terrain and you should give me a link, I dislike the tilesets and trees in this terrain. I need your suggestion for better terrain. I just would not change the desert tile, it looks good to me. Is using sand for shore edge bad instead of grass? The grassy dirt tile as seen in Persia and Cilicia is supposed for savannah and is used in this terrain to represent mediterranean shrubland, do you think I need a better terrain for a mediterranean feeling or just replace it with grass? Rate the terrain and comment what can I replace for better tilesets and trees.

Al Iraq
atp1le.jpg

Persia
23szywx.jpg

Anatolia
23qz1hv.jpg

Cilicia
2zhfc7l.png

Middle East
2uz84mv.jpg

Last edited:
Level 3
Alright, to answer some of your questions:
-To create shadows, create a new doodad that has a shadow and remove the model
or make it extremely small.
-As far as terrain goes, you did think right; the sand and the grass clashes badly as
the grass looks like it would fit in the great plains (meaning it's too lush)
-As for the coastline, it should be sand or at the very least rocks or dirt. Realisitcally,
most grass wouldn't be able to live near the ocean because of the salt.
-As for the empty areas, cover it up with shadows and/or easthetic environmental
props (Such as grass, rocks, etc)
-One other thing, trees, naturally, would not be arranged in such a way, that they
look like they fit in a grid (look at your last picture; It is very prominent).
-Now, (this is specifically towards your sand) if you look at the sand closely, it clashes
with your other tilesets a lot. More specifically that the sand doesn't "blend" with the
other tilesets. I don't know if it is the tile's fault itself (I know some tiles don't come
with a blending art) or it just doesn't cooperate with the tilesets layed in your terrain.
If it is the first that's causing the trouble, I suggest finding a new sand tile or just use
WC3's sand tile (doesn't look too bad).
-One last note: For the desertous areas, it should be more bumpy as the wind easily
shifts the sand around and not held together by plants.

Overall, your terrain isn't bad, but try to fix the following problems I listed out. Good luck on your project~ ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.