1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Shadows of Everwood Playable Terrain

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by Oziris, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay, I need a little help here. I'm running out of ideas, what to place in those empty spots, both in town and forest. And if any more ideas come along, feel free to tell them.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      159.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      133.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      159 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      150.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      143.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      124.2 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      158.3 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      148.1 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      163.7 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      147.2 KB
      Views:
    • 15.JPG
      15.JPG
      File size:
      155.2 KB
      Views:
    • 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      86.1 KB
      Views:
    • 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      File size:
      110.5 KB
      Views:
    • 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      File size:
      137.7 KB
      Views:
    • 14.JPG
      14.JPG
      File size:
      170.2 KB
      Views:
    • 16.JPG
      16.JPG
      File size:
      164.6 KB
      Views:
    • 17.JPG
      17.JPG
      File size:
      187.2 KB
      Views:
    • 18.JPG
      18.JPG
      File size:
      160.5 KB
      Views:
    • 19.JPG
      19.JPG
      File size:
      172.7 KB
      Views:
    • 20.JPG
      20.JPG
      File size:
      76 KB
      Views:
  2. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    you need to use more plants doodads. the tiles alone, look so damned empty...

3. Wolfe

Wolfe

Resources:
    Resources:
    For the first picture, perhaps the waterfall that goes over the road should be shallower or less fast-looking. You could even create a tiny stream from it, and have a bridge go over it. Also, the barricades look a little awkward where they are, and the walls should have some sort of outlet to signal that they stop. Perhaps a gate, or even two towers at the ends.

Overall, it does lack plants. Mushrooms alone won't cut it. Perhaps add some tinted river rushes.

Picture 10 has a log in the center of the intersection that looks very out of place and awkward.

Some of the city streets look a little flat and lifeless. Though, the addition of NPCs will give it life.

Picture 17 - the pole for the clothesline is going into the bricks, maybe put a patch of grass or dirt under it.

City entrance, picture 18, looks flat.

4. Davesanz

Davesanz

Resources:
    Resources:
    I do not have ideas right now, but i think it would be better if you change that lordaeron banners with some proper to Vinosca.

5. neku99

neku99

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hmmm well here's some Ideas from a sugar rush

*Plants like what Fan and Wolfe said
    *Maybe some animal life, like the flying birds, or maybe a deer
    *Put a camp somwhere/ or just a simple fire. You can make it look abandoned like nomads just stayed for a night then moved on. Or maybe left by patrols.

Well ehm out of Ideas. I hope I mentioned some possible and valid ideas though.

6. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm adding plants now, I hope I don't over spam them! :p Thanks for the ideas/suggestions guys, they helped ;)

7. lexalex

lexalex

Resources:
    Resources:
    All looks ok from my perspective, but they need work....

1st pic: The waterfall looks ok, but a bridge across that small river would be ok, and make that river wider. The walls does not have an ending, unless u put some builders, and some unfinished towers...Vegetation must not miss from any terrain...and what's with that mushroom? Bigger than the barricades? And speaking of barricades, those one looks random: Place them on the end of the bridge(if you make one)
    2nd pic: Same problems - Wall unfinished, barricades too random, vegetation, mushroom
    3rd pic: Barricades too random, vegetation - Maybe you should arrange them and after the npc's are arranged too it will look ok
    4th pic: looks ok, but the trees grow out angled?and still more vegetation
    5th pic same as 4
    6th pic: vegetation
    7th pic: vegetation and...how that boat came to this place, on swallow water?, make that water deep
    8th pic: same with the ship...I realu like that shrine!Looks hot
    9th pic: cool dragon: that would be a dungeon, am I right? but still more vegetation
    10th pic: cool looking but only vegetation, and that log is out of place...
    11th pic: wow that dragon is sooo awsome...make that in the middle of the forest..add trees and vegetation and you have a dungeon
    12th pic: I like the library, after NPC's will be added it will look cooler...I think that would be a mage's quarter or so, right?
    13th pic: Beneath the walls of the castle should be some rocks, where the water waves can break..it would be a lot more realistic...the top looks cool, and same with the NPC's
    14th pic: Those craters are out of place...and the rocks too...I don't think that the ones that built that castle, built it without that rocks removed...
    15th pic: is cool, NPC's and it's ready
    16th pic: inside that castle right?..it's cool, but needs modifications: the ground is too flat: height variations.
    17th pic: cool market...NPC's and a little height variations and it is good to go
    18th pic: cool, but height, vegetation and barricades too random
    19th pic: good ideea, but: maybe the ones that came here wanted to have their tents facing the fire..turn them with toward the fire...and about the crates: Who got all of those crates and barrels there? only 5 or 6 humans that can stay in the tents?..Make a cart with some oxes..or so, that can carry all of those - That is like a caravan I suppose, right?
    20th pic: vegetation, rocks beneath the hill, and I think here will be a quest giver? or a foe?..

Well these can be done..By this I don't want you to quit this project - and I think you would not - But I wanted to help you in the course of the project

Don't give up, It is reallly cool project

8. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Heh, thanks lexalex, There is no way I'm going to quit it. :D Some stuff already fixed, and I'll get to work!

9. Raven0

Raven0

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I love those rock-statue things, very creative

10. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    All in all the area needs more vegetation and less floating doodads. I see many floating rocks and mushrooms. And sometimes the darkened colour of some of the rocks looks really bad, per example in the first picture. I like the idea of the stone creatures.. But they just stand there and have nothing to do with the envorinment around them. Make it a littlebit more crowded with tree's or something. Currently it doesn't look like a real area.. Instead it looks like an attempt of someone trying to make a real area.;-)
    Oh and I really don't like the shipwreck doodad:p It makes things around it look so unrealistic, because you can't scale it to look 'real'.

11. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Teuncreemers, can you possibly point out the floating rocks? The stone creatures were meant to be statues of gods that Ogres who live in the forest worship and I'm pretty sure I made what I wanted, I just need to add more details. I don't see what's real in the map, giant trees, ogres, made up gods and etc. So I don't see why would I scale the ship to it's your way of thinking "realistic size", maybe the ship is just small like that? ;)

12. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well about the ship it's just a matter of taste then I guess... As for the rock creatures. Are you sure they really look good from all angles? Since its a playable terrain that's quite important because I know you guys use a camera system.
    In screenshot 9 you see at the edge of the creature's lips that the rocks aren't that nicely connected to eachother. That's the bad side of making such things because well... blizz fucked upthe models with just 1 side. Maybe it's an idea to ask one of SoE's modelers to change that?
    That's basically what annoyed me a littlebit with the rock creatures. I once tried to make something similar but removed it because I was really unhappy with the result.
    About the floating rocks. I suppose I've made a mistake there. Couldn't find any floating rocks. However the red mushrooms you use are sometimes placed a littlebit too high or at a weird place. Try placing them somewere with a few shrubs or vegetation around it, so it looks more realistic.

13. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You have a point there, but, I've tested it in game and it looks well, maybe some spots need to be worked on a little bit more and it's going to look perfect. :p

14. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hehe alright!
    But think about the fact that you guys actually got modelers in your team! (Unlike me:goblin_cry:) So use them for some of those minor doodad changes!:D:D

15. NinjasDontFight

NinjasDontFight

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm guessing your trying to make alot of the area playable, but I don't see any reason why. Just fill it up with plants/rocks/ruins. Just let the path we need to be used, no need for us to get lost over nothing.

16. FibSaSk

FibSaSk

Resources:
    Resources:
    The only thing you should improve is adding many doodads, adding a variety of different tiles and also the height needs to be improved in some places.

17. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @NinjasDontFight, I want a more free to explore area then just "YOU HAVE TO TAKE THAT ROAD, IF YOU DON'T, THEN GO **** youself" ^^ :D

18. naga

naga

Resources:
    Resources:
    The Terrains are GODLIKE NICE JOB!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

19. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nah, I've updated them. Now it's detailed, but I still need to add some structures/ruins. And I'm lazy to upload new screenshots of the terrain.

20. naga

naga

Resources:
    Resources:
    They are good just more doodads and it would be SO GOOD!!! xD