• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

The Ultimate RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
The Path of Chaos

Intro:
Welcome to a world governed by the absolute essence of such realities as can be deemed real. It is the chaos the swiftly sweeps through leaving only a path of carnage in its wake. It is the glorious cry of voices as war looms ahead. What ancient things can be found in a land so torn and desolate that the gods themselves leave it forsaken.

Heknar's will be done.

Modeling

....O....
.../|\...
.../.\...

What you see above is a simple stick figure made up of 6 different pieces. Imagine that these 6 different pieces are 6 entirely different models.

O/|\/\

With precise programming, these models can be interlocked together and kept together. They can be animated with limitless possibilities as commands are initiated. They can be exchanged with other pieces to allow things such as full equipment viewing, animation, and scaling. The different parts can even have strengths and weaknesses so that in essence you could make a head shot. They can even be cut off, damaged, and so forth by simple exchanging/removal.

When splitting a model up into different pieces and then connecting them in the game itself, the possibilities are limitless. Mappers can even create their very own models given enough pieces. Now imagine that there weren't only 6 pieces, but more. 10 fingers, 1 palm, 2 pieces to the arm, left shoulder, right shoulder, etc, etc. Polygon counts can be increased which means an increase to model detail.

A system like this would not be proper for the regular wc3 layout... it would be more for a first person setting. This setting is easily brought about by camera angles. This means you won't have as many models viewed at once which leads to a higher polygon count per model allowed without crashing/lagging.

In Essence, this system would provide the following:
Limitless Animation Capabilities
Limitless Exchanging Capabilities
Limitless Skeletal Capabilities (making a skeleton is difficult)
Greater detail to models

This also gives way to a new combat system... imagine equipping a sword and going through sweeping motions. You click in the direction you want to swing. It is all fully possible.

Also, it would allow different parts of the body to tired out instead of a simple fatigue system that most RPGs use. This will of course allow for more realism.

Growth
In reality, a person can learn any number of skills. However, they are limited by time and talent as to how far they can proceed in each of these skills. The same should go with hero growth.

Oblivion addressed this by making different skills take long to master than others based of course on your attributes and talents. I propose a different approach.

1. Limit the total amount of skill you can acquire
2. Raise and lower strengths and weaknesses for the different skills/skill trees based upon attributes.
3. Limit the number of skill trees attainable and how far you can go based on knowledge learned.

This will allow for some intelligent design of characters. Spread too far out and you could become weak. Focus on one area and you could become weak. It's not about maxing out what you can but balancing out what you can to form a harmony.

Without systems like this in place, the best build would be a warrior/healer type build. This was FF XII's problem. As long as you kept everyone in an elite stature when it came to combat skills and healing, your party would be invincible/impossible to kill.

Another thing the combat system would address is separating full melee builds with full caster builds.

The damage would be based upon an exponential equation. In short, all of your body parts hold life energy. The more life energy you have, the less stability you have unless you have special items and abilities to improve stability. The less stability you have, the more you lose per hit (weakening). However, the more energy you have in a certain spot, the less health it actually loses (for example someone trying to gun down your leg wouldn't necessarily slow you down if your leg had enough health to stand up to the gunfire. Without armor, it would probably be shot, but with enough energy to deflect the damage, being shot can be avoided). Energy is needed to move, attack, and defend. Having a lot of energy can be good in some cases, but if you were to be a tank, a lot is not necessarily good as you will be wiped clean of energy after 1 hit. It's all about balance.

I will also have my save/load engine for this game

A full physics engine

An installation file to install a patch needed for this game =). The actual map won't have anything on it. This is so unlimited mp3 files/texture files/model files can be used without increasing map size.

Well, tell me what you think everyone. I was thinking of saving this for Starcraft 2 because I want to give the player the oppurtunity to make machines. Different metals can provide different strengths and weaknesses. It's the same with parts. Using a bigger gun on the machine might slow down versatility and speed, etc, etc. Was thinking along the lines of mobile suits =). The player would start out with just themselves, would slowly build their own guns and go from there until they make suits.

So, tell me what you think : D

Level 27
What i think? I think this should be singleplayer because all of these model thingies are gone take up much space and the polies are going to lag o_O But whats with the Patch to decrease map size? ... lol i don't get you this is all way to complicated for me =D

This would seem awesome, do you have screenies of these modeling concepts? or what?

Level 31
Well, as I said. In a first person mode, you might only be viewing 1-5 full objects at a time exlcluding doodads of course. In reality, this would be 20-100 different models, but it wouldn't cause lag considering wc3 can easily view 120 "larger" models without lag.

I don't have any screenshots of the modeling capabilities, but I know how to do it.

By the way, as I said earlier, the models won't increase map size. Models installed into wc3 don't increase your map size. They can be accessed from your computer. Models that are imported into the map itself are accessed from the map, not the computer.

Would you rather store a model on to a computer or a map. Storing on a map means updates are going to be large as you will have to re-download everything. Storing on to the computer means smaller updates, smaller map sizes, faster access time, etc, etc. I also plan on putting these models into World Editor so you can use them in your own maps. Sounds and icons will be included as well.

Level 31
war3 is very easy

There are 2 main databases that store the models and icons. One stores the information such as stats and names. The other stores the model path.

There are also maybe 7 .txt files that store things like tile sets (you can add new tile sets), hidden icons, music files, etc.

It's all quite rudimentary. However, this is all for making it show up in World Editor. You don't really need this stuff to make it visible in a map.

If I were to make an engine of some sort, I'd make a free one for players to use. They could view the models and so on. The other one would cost a very small amount of money for modders to use. They could view the models in WE, place them down, etc. ^_^

Oh well, we were talking about my modeling system anyways : P

Level 3
Just don't modify your MPQ, ok?

You'll screw up your Wc3 eventually and won't be able to even go online.

Will someone listen to him? He said he isn't modifying the actual MPQ. I know how he does it, we did some testing in the past, it's harm free. I assure you in no way would his method cause harm to the MPQ, the game, or break any blizzard terms and conditions :)

Level 3
I think it's genius. I've seen some of the independent parts modeling on a few other maps including 'pimp my peons'.
I think it's genius but people up till now have been rather nervous about editing the mpq files to do it.

Additionally a major focus has been on making multiplayer maps.
Single player allows for quite a few more degrees of freedom compared to multiplayer, so it would be a great place to try out your new skill and character engine.

BTW, I would recommend you take a look at Kingdom of Kaliron 2.00 demo to see their innovative inventory system. It allows for a large set of items for use as opposed to the typical 6 slots. I've seen other packs systems for expanding on the basic 6 set system by creating packs, but this is truly original.

I do have a preference for multiplayer maps, so once you've finished tinkering around with the basic engine, it'd be interesting to see if it would be easily portable. I don't know how WC3 currently would deal with custom mpqs, but I doubt it would fare well on battlenet, but if it's downloaded and installed properly, It should work online, right?

Either way, I would love to help you if you need it. Not very strong with JASS yet, but have decent programming exp otherwise.

Level 31
Well, I just tested it out using an mpq archive and well... wc3 didn't want to load it up ; P

So I guess we gotta unzip .zip archives. Not bad at all, just ganna clutter up the wc3 directory a bit. That's the only way I see to get around this problem atm ; p

Still going to be one file, you just gotta unzip it : )

The only problem I'm running into right now is playing sound files that aren't imported...

The whole goal of this project is to be able to use any file from a given patch... and um... the sound files are starting to piss me off..

JASS:
call PlayMusic( "Sound\\13.mp3" )

the above doesn't play.. period... grrs : (

Status
Not open for further replies.