• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Ultimate Card game - made into war3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Maps&ID=8128

Hello,

After playing a map called Card Shuffle, I decided I'd like to make the ultimate war3 card game map. It will basically import bits and peices from every card game. By card game I mean Magic the gathering/Yu-gi-oh etc. not black jack/poker.

To begin with there can be any variations of teams
At the start of the game the teams can be anyway the host wants
- free for all
- 2v2v2v2v2v2
- 3v3v3v3
- 4v4v4
- 6v6

Lastly he can then pick either keep the teams as they are from player slot 1-12 dividing in that order or randomly shuffle and give every1 there random partners.
Then the players can pick there decks.

---

I would like to keep it fairly simple and straight forward. The card types will most likely be
- Spell Cards - General spells that usually have a one time effect
- Summon Cards - Can summon creatures to attack or defend
- Equipment Cards - Can give creatures equipment
- Ability Cards - Can give creatures abilities
- Structure Cards - Can summon buildings in radius of Caster

After the teams have been setteled you can start picking cards for your deck. It will most likely be around 20-30 cards.
Your *hand* will be your main Heroes Inventory (1-6 cards)
Your *lifepoints* will be you main Heroes Hitpoints
The obvious goal is to reduce your opponents lifepoints to 0.

At the start of the game you get 6 random drawn cards.
Every 20 seconds, you will get a drawpoint which you can use to draw a card. When you draw you will recieve a random card from your selection. Currently I was thinking for simplicity you can never deck out and you simply get a card on % probability from your selection.

---

Creatures will be classified under race and class e.g.
Human - Cleric / Human - Wizard / Human - Soldier
Orc - Warrior / Orc - Shaman / Orc - Mage etc.
There will definetly be a few cards that specifically target races or classes in positive or negative ways. It is possible for multiple Race/Classes
For creatures types I will probably generalise, with Human/Demon/Undead etc. grouping them up to keep it nice and simple.

I would prefer the game to resolve more around a small handful of elite Hero creatures per player than masses of swarms. There will be no limit to the number of creatures you can summon but wach one will be a hero with it's own strength and weakness.
You can give them equipment to make them stronger or bestow an ability for them to use. Some Spell cards will buff/curse units as well.
There wont be much creature removal, it will mainly evolve round empowering/depowering summoned units.

---

Buldings will mainly be more defence, auras and empowering/depowering effect on your Hand.
They will be placed in radius on your Lifepoints so he can be destroyed by physical force or with spells.

There will be quite a few game mechanics Id like to incorporate. such as Kicker Costs/Entwine/Cycling etc. from MTG
So some cards will have a few potential effects you can right click on the card (item) to change it, or right click to discard to draw another card etc.

Lastly Id definetly like *Polymerization* to play a part, which is basically merging 2 or more creatures into 1, combing there power.
E.g. Paladin + Necromancer = Dark Paladin
I would most likely have it so you can only merge certain units together. Such as only same race + same race or same class + same class.

I havent actually started anything yet, I have quite a few ideas for cards but I just thought Id post here to gather some ideas.
As for Team Gathering I think I can do most of this myself it shouldnt be to difficult.

If theres any good triggerrers/jass'ers would be willing to design a good card selection/drawing system it would be cool:)
Modellers/Skinners and especially Icon Artists are welcome. Also Special effects.

If anyone has any ideas for a Hero / Abilities / Equipment / Buildings / Spells im all ears.

thank you

Level 7
ideas are nice...but insubstatial

prototypes are better...

and why not try something different like images, floating text, and hidden units for a click based interface onscreen

well, anyways, what would be more interesting would be the ability to actually choose the exact deck you want, from a selection list, maybe like in mtg 4 identical card max limit so theres no uber decks...and the option of having it chosen for you for new people...perhaps even having some cards locked and their unlock code being given randomly at the end of games (not that locked cards are any better)
anyhow, the card selection could be hashed to an integer value and just stored in an array which can be randomly referenced and reduced to simulate card drawing
perhaps even saved if so wanted

coop mode against like a scenerio based game might be interesting as well

i also have no idea how you plan to bind effects to right clicking an item, since right clicking is hardcoded to picking up the item from the inventory, i mean the closest you can do is binding events to when an item is dropped on another item or on itself in the inventory

Level 6
sers
i love the idea of implementing a card game into wc3 and have tried to implement magic the gathering by myself. but i did not want to omake it to cpmplex therefore have only created a few of the features of original mtg.

if anyone wants to test my map:
www.raszul.de.vu

for having thought about card game implemention before i have quite a few ideas of how to create which and what function.

multiple uses for cards
if you want to have a card ahve more than one 'ability' (like cycle, spell one, spell two), why not simply make it a spellbook?
that way you can let a card have up to 11 different effects without any problem at all - and you do not even require right-click or something like that

choosing decks
i would use the gamecache to have a list of all cards. then i would place them as items within a specific area on the map (may be a arena or something else that is quite huge and flat). then i would give the hero a 'choose card' ability that targets an item and ads it to the heroes spellbook (maybe use the food as cards he has - 0/30 look ssomewhat good ^^)
And to decide which card a player draws simple use a random integer as index and an array with all card-codes the player has as his 'deck'.

function draw takes unit U returns nothing
local player P = getOwnerUnit(U)

local integer card = GetInteger(Player, I2S(random between 0 and food used by player(P)))
createItemForUnit(U, card)
endfunction

thats all thats needed to draw a card. (sry thos is no real code, but quite close to it - didn't want to look for the proper functions)

but maybe it would be better to always use the top card of the library (to speak in terms of mtg) and simply shuffle ti whenever needed. that way you could have effects like 'look at the top x cards of you library'

Creaturetypes
This is the biggest problem i had wen trying to create mtg for wc3. I failed to do it rescently, becourse i did not understand the concept of gamecache then. Now i ahve a faint idea of how to do it.

the gamecache has 3 values - 2 used to index the 3ed.
therefore you could have

gc[creatureCard][integer index] = creaturetype
gc[creatureCard][number] = number of types

but picking all of a kidn would be somewhat difficult. Therefore the other idea would be to make each creaturetype a seperate ability (could even be used to show the creaturetype a creature has)
Picking all units having an ability is quite easy and therefore i would use that way. - maybe i will in my mab, but right now it's not neccessary ^^

Fusion
I had not much time to think about this yet (only the time i needed to type this post) but i would make it like this:

• creature + creature
    the new creature has it's own abilities
    e.g. 'Iceelemental' + 'Waterelemental' = 'Lord of Elements'
  • creaturetype + creaturetype
    the new creatures has random abilities from both it's origins (at least one from each)
    e.g. Soldier + Wizard = 'Warlord'
  • creature + creaturetype
    the new creature has all the abilities from the origin creature and random ones from the creaturetype it's made of
    e.g. 'Paladin' + Zombie = 'Dark Paladin'

Maybe you should give the new creature the types of all its origins, but thats up to you.

pushing
A mayor problem i had when trying to implement 'gree' into my map was it's ability to push creatures with spells. It took my quite some time to realise that it is not possible to increase the damage of a unit the way i liked to. Therefore i decided to create all units as heroes altering their strength and agility to alter their life and damage.
But maybe you'll find another, better way.
Feel free to look into my map - it's not protected. But please give me credits if you use any of my ideas ^^

So i think thats all. Jsut take a look at my map. Maybe you want to copy some of the trggers,

MfG Raszul

Level 12
ideas are nice...but insubstatial

prototypes are better...

What exactly do you mean?

I was sure I included the picking your deck part, I must have forgotten.

Im making it so you can pick any cards you want and contruct your own deck at the start of the game.

@Lord_Razul
thx for the suggestions, perhaps I will go with the spellbook way instead.
I checked your map but it seemed incomplete and in german.

Level 7
Fulla said:
What exactly do you mean?

i've just seen many endevours fall before their inception phase, just a bunch of ideas that never substantiated into anything... which is why i think its always good to get just a base groundwork map out of the just very basic foundation concepts going and then form some more concrete ideas of what you want out of it

Ki

Ki

Level 7
This has a pretty decent idea, but executing will be a difficult task. Fitting into the wc3 scenario is a good idea in itself as you won't have to import a multitude of custom models that will be hard requesting for.

I like the skeptical approach in taking ideas from many different card games to make your own unique game. You show some intelligence by not hastily claiming that you will create the best Yugioh map as the system will be especially hard to create.

This kind of reminds me of Soul Chess in the Director's Choice map section. Cards may prove a more entertaining environment as most players anticipate drawing an unknown card.

I just thought I'd comment on it.

Level 12
Ive managed to get the team shuffler working and player1 can pick what variations of teams.
Also think Ive got a simple pick cards for a deck and draw a random card from your deck working.

========

I decided to merge some cards together, as I want to prevent players from having useless cards in their hand. Cards like debuff / remove equipment etc. will all have other uses as well.

Spell cards and Ability cards are now one.
You can choose to cast a spell or transfer a "weaker" version to one of your creatures. Spells wont be compatible with all creatures.

Im starting of with Elemental spells, so any ideas would be fantastic.

Level 12
Ok, I've added a prototype map to original post.

It's a simplified version of what Im going to build it into.
Basic spells and units are used in this map.

There are no dought a few bugs/glitches here and there especially with tooltips.

Feel free to give me feedback, but please keep in mind it not even beta stage yet.

thank you

EDIT: Also I will add a Credits page, I apoligise I forgot
Immoralis - lots of trigger help
Vexorian - Vexorians Map optimizer

Status
Not open for further replies.