• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spellweavers card game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10

Content of the thread:
1. General information

2. Summary of the game
2.1 The beginning
2.2. The preparation
2.3. The game
2.3.1. The objective
2.3.2. The gameplay
2.3.3. The close​
2.4. Quick summary​

3. Lore (will come soon)
3.1. The elements (will come soon)​

4. Features
4.1 AI
4.2. Deckbuilding
4.3. Keywords​

5. FAQ

6. Special Thanks + Credits

7. Changelog

8. Current state
8.1. To do​

9. Screenshots (will come soon)

10. Last words

1. General information

Map name: Spellweaver CG
Version: 0.5.1
Author/Creator: Lord_Earthfire
Map Size: 1,288 MB
Player Amount: 1-12 (Supports restricted AI)
Map Type: Turn based card game

2. Summary of the Game

2.1. The beginning

This map roughly throws the player into the cold water, spawning his game oranisation toll (the Player-Unit) into the deckbuilding area. From here, he is able to walk around freely and to prepare himself to begin fights against other players.

2.2. The preperation

At first, it is required to get a deck.
The player can choose freely from a pool of 200+ Cards of 16 (14 implemented) elements to create his spell pool he will use later in the game. A spell pool, or deck, consists of 20 to 35 cards, making the player able to draw ingame random cards from this pool.
Since your cards are not removed when drawing them, you can only have up a maximum of 1 - 3 cards in your deck (represented by the charges in the shop). You can either build a deck by yourself or pick one of the prebuild ones (what is recommended for beginners).
Cards can be removed from your card pool via the magical mind (The idle worker button, forgot the hotkey, i will add it when i know it again), the items below him represent your card pool.
After selecting a deck, it is required to choose an elemental mark to be able to begin games. It will determinate your main element, since you will gain mana of this element from the beginning of the game on.
After this, you can move into the challenging area (Ok, this is highly inspired from WC3 Card game, i will give credits for this, but it's just a great idea).

2.3. The game

In the challenging area, the player have to select an opponent, which is also in this area. After you challenged him (you gain an ability when entering the area and have fullfilled the conditions like decksize and markselection), he needs to reply by challenging you also. Then, your mage will be spawned in on of the arenas, opposite of your enemy's one...

2.3.1. The objective

To win the game it is required to defeat the enemy spellweaver. This can be done by using damaging spells, summons or venom.
You will begin with 150 hp, but this amount can be increased or decreased by some card's effect

2.3.2. The gameplay

At the beginning of the game a random player will be chosen who takes the first round. This game is completly turn based, so you have to wait until your enemy plays a card, else, you cannot take a turn.
A turn ends when a player plays a card or discard one, there are exceptions for this, i will refer to them later.
When your first round begins, you will see the following: one mage on your side, one on the other side. Also you will see that you possess two heros (F1 and F2), both featuring an inventory with 6 filled slots. These items represent your spells from your spellpool you chosen before. you will also have a ladderboard displayed, which shows the amount of mana of the different elements you possess.
At the beginning, you will have no mana, meaning that you either have some no-cost mana generators in your hand or you need to discard something. For the second option, you will find two abilitys: the "discard" skill (D) and the "ancient wisdom" skill (A). While the first one just discards one card and ends your round, the second one discards your whole hand and ends your round, but will be removed after you ended your first round, turning this ability into the "mulligan" of the game.

The cards in the game can be divided merely into 3 groups:
normal spells: These cards have an instant effect
permanents: these cards stay on the field as individual units after played, having enduring effects. These cards can have commonly 4 values while being on the field: Health points (When they fall to 0, the permanent is destroyed), Mana (Representing the cooldown of their abilitys or lifespawns, depending on the permanent), Attack-Value (see below for more information) and the Defense-Value (Reduce almost any incoming damage by this amount)
enchantments/armors: These cards are the buffs and debuffs for mages. They will be directly attached to the mage, granting him powerfull abilitys or protection.

Permanents will be also divived into 3 other groups:
Attacker: These permanents are one of the main damage sources of the game. They come most time with an attack-value, which represent the damage they can deal every round. At the end of the round, they will attack, dealing damage equal to their attack value to the enemy mage. The mage can protect himself from this damage by using armors. These, in difference to other permanents, which are circled around your mage, are lined up in front of the enemy mage's area.
Generators: These permanents are the common mana provider in this game. Most time they possess a mana value, which will reset while hitting 100%. When this happens, the permanent produces mana for you.
Other: The rest are other permanents which can have other beneficial effects for you.

When you end your round, all effects of permanents, enchantments and armors will be executed. At first, venom damage will be applied, afterwards, the effects of enchantments takes places and after this the permanent's effect takes place. Then, your enemy can take his turns.
Played and discarded cards will be removed from your hand and filled directly with new cards.

Your mage got also abilitys with which you move items from the one hand (F1) to the other one (F2) and vis'a versa.

And exception in the game are quick cards and the "time manipulation" card. When you play one of the quick cards, you can directly play another one without ending your turn. Time manipulation ends your turn, when it will not be turned into a quick card by another card effect, but you will directly have after this another turn, skipping your opponents one.

2.3.3. The close

The game directly ends when one of the spellweavers is killed. This includes that he will not be revived by afterwards executed effects. For example, when venom kills your mage, the healing of an enchantment will not revive you.
After a game has ended, you will be transported back into the challenging area, making you able to work on your deck or to challenge another player.

Ofc you can use the "-surrender" command, when your enemy goes afk and leaves you there. If he leaves, the duell will be directly cancelled.

2.4. Quick summary

- When your mage dies, you loose the match
- You got two hands (F1 and F2)
- When you play a non-quick card or discard a card, your turn ends and your enemy takes his turn
- You need mana to play cards, it is commonly generated by "generators"
- There are 3 types of cards: spells, permanents, armors/enchantments
- Attacker deal damage equal to their attack value at the end of their turn
- Any damage is reduced by the defense value of a permanent or mage

3. Lore

> Will come soon <

3.1. The elements

> Will come soon <

4. Features

The map currently features the following content:

- 216 cards
- 14 elements (the 2 last ones will be coming soon)
- 3 prebuild decks
- 6 challenges
- 16 keywords

4.1. AI

Yes, this game features an AI, but only in form of "challenges", very powerfull beings which a deadly arsenal of spells and a almost divine durability (who said something of 250-350 hp o_O). Althought their decks are rule breaking, it is possible, but just very difficult, to defeat them, because their decks got different weaknesses. Learn how to fight them, and then learn how to defeat them.

To the technical aspect, the AI can handle its pre-, mid- and lategame with their prebuild decks very properly, can handle permanents', enchantments' and armors' effects, but cannot really plan multiple turns, althought it can determinated combos. so it cannot handle special situations like a lockdown. It is fun to play againt, at most when you are resistant to frustration. the AI is normaly for a challenge or for testing purpose, The potential of the game comes in the Metagame with different strategies, combos and deck types.

Player 1 needs to type "-Challenges" to turn the AI on and to create a challengeable player on the challenging area. The different decks will be randomly chosen after each duel (I will probably change this to a cycling system)

4.2. Deckbuilding

Deckbuilding is the main feature of this game. The deck many times decides between victory and defeat.

At the beginning of the game, you will find yourself in the deckbuilding region. here are 17 areas, 16 representing the different elements of the game and the last area, in the middle of this region, features the prebuilded decks as well as the two portals, which leads to the other regions of the preparation phase.

Here, you will create your deck. For this, every elemental region contains 3 shops: one minor, one medium and one powerfull spell shop. The difference between the spells they sell is mainly in the cost and with this in the power of the spell. While minor spells makes the beginning of the game, the medium and the powerfull ones brings the power into most decks (I've experienced some decks which rely mainly on minor spells but these are rare).

The decision between the 16 elements, the combination of them and the neutral cards (which are in the upper right corner of the middle area) makes many tactics possible, from the simple rush to lockdown decks.

One of the other area (reachable by the red portal in the middle) contains the markchanger. Here you need to choose a mark of one element. These marks generate 2 mana of their element every round and are bound for the duration of a duel to the mage. The mark provides a stable mana generation at the beginning of the game and affects the effects of many cards.

4.3. Keywords

Keywords are one of the main attributes of a card. On the one side, keywords have special effects on permanents (Permanent is a keyword itself) targetability, an example here is the living keyword, which marks a permanent as a living creature and makes them targetable by certain spells, on the other side there are keywords which gives the card additional effects, like the destructive keyword, which increases the damage of the spell by 1 for every destructive card played in a row before casting this spell. Since card effects also refers to these keywords, these bring extra flavour into the game.

5. FAQ

Q: The game started and there is no real gameplay... what to do?
A: Build your deck, select your mark (or get a prebuild deck), go to the challenging area, wait for someone who did the same, challenge him and wait for his challenge. The game needs some preparation and patience, so don't worry. Remember, that you need 20-35 cards and a mark to start a game

Q: Why can't i play anything?
A: Either, because you don't possess enough mana or it is not your turn. Compare your mana (shown on the leaderboard) with the costs of your cards. Don't forget you have two hands (F1 and F2). When you really can't play anything, you have to discard a card (Hotkey: D). When you cannot play anything the whole game long, you need to add Generators into your deck or need to select cards or a mark of another element. I recommend focusing on 1 to 2 elements

Q: My opponent is afk and don't take a turn. What now?
A: Either you have to wait for him or, when he didn't play anything for some minutes, type "-surrender" and challenge someone else.

Q: What should i do if everyone except me is in a duel
A: Then you have to wait. The game needs patience because of things like this. Have in mind that the duels are most times fast paced and sometimes very fast over, except if someone plays a lockdown or a stall deck, then its getting long. Almost every game has an ending.

Q: I'm getting killed to fast. How can i change this?
A: There are several cards which slows your opponent down. On the one hand, there are disables, which stop or weaken your enemy and his summons, on the other side there are armors. Armors reduce any incoming damage or have other ways to reduce damage, and it is recommended to have at least one type of armor or way of regeneration in every deck. The most common one is the "Shield" card, which is found in the neutral card shop in the upper right corner of the middle area. It reduces any damage by 2 and costs 20 random mana, making it useable for every element. It is in my to-do list to create one shield for every element.

Q: How do i remove cards from my deck
A: At the left of the map, there are small areas. One of them is revealed for you. These is your card pool, or deck. You will see a wisp there. It is the "magical mind", he possess abilitys which makes you able to remove cards from your deck. The items under this wisp are the spells in your deck.

Q: Why did you freak triggered this "§%& so Ineffecient?
A: At first, don't become rude ;) . Secondly, the effects of the cards are hard coded, because the diversity between the cards effects made it almost impossible to bring a generic system into the map. It would be possible, but just at the cost of restricting some cards abilitys. The only thing i will never have access to is the effect of another card. Live with it or remain sient. Noone needs flamers here in this community. -.- Anyway, a completely redo of the triggers is now impossible without creating a map out of scratch. The only thing i can do and will do is to improve some triggers and to clear them up the best way i can do.

6. Special thanks and credits

Betatester:
Gock
pla_pnv

Iconcreators:

-Crazyrussian for his "Crystal"-icon
-bigapple90 for his "Water tornado 2"-icon (Flood)
-Anachron for his "Water shockwave"-icon (Crushing Wave)
-Mr.Goblin for his "Magic rune"-icon (Aether Ritual), his "Beast training"-icon (Empath) and his "Drain Mana"-icon (Domination)
-Naro for his "Ember shard"-icon (Eternium-Shards)
-L_Lawliet for his "Water lance"-icon (Water Lance)
-The_Silent for his "Orb of earth"-icon (Mark of Earth)
-CevronSeven for his "Orb of nature"-icon (Mark of Nature)
-LiOneSS for his "Healing leaf"-icon (Photosynthesis)
- -Berz- for his "Thorns"-icon (Giant Growth)
-OgeRfaCes for his "Time up"-icon (Time Manipulation)
-aznshadow for his "Thunder spirit"-icon (Current Being)
-Blizzard Entertainment for their "Spell_Nature_TimeStop"- (Mark of Time), "INV_Misc_Gem_Sapphire_03"- (Piece of Exista) and their "INV_Misc_Gem_Sapphire_01"-Icon (Exista)

Other:
Belugh and Slin for their map "Cardcraft", which highly inspired me

7. Changelog

-Release

8. Current state

Content: Dont' know, maybe never complete IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Trigger: Without the content: ~85% IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Terrain:Just a few changes ~95% IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Overall:
Completly playable, just want to add more modules and content, hoping to find out how i can make a tutorial into this game.
Current State: Beta

8.1. To-do

-More content, cards, challenged, prebuild decks, Keywords, everything
-More modules to have more access to card-effects
-A tutorial
-Improvements in the Code
-The Implemention of the 2 missing elements (Wind, Ice)
-Balancing

9. Screenshots

> Will come soon <

10. Last words

The only thing i can say now is that i would really appreciate constructive feedback and wish that you have fun with this card game i created.
I would also like to hear your suggestions. Every idea is welcome.
Beta testers are always welcome :)

Attachments

• Spellweaver CG 061.w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.