• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Terrain of Starcraft 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's tons of little things on the edges of the map that go unnoticed and in streams they're rarely pointed out (for obvious reasons), so I thought I'd show some of them.

Most of my graphic settings are on Medium, by the way.

Islands.png

Crashed ships on islands in the north east corner of the map.

StatueInWater.png

A large statue and rubble out in the water west of the southern start location.

CrashedShips.png

Crashed ships behind the southern start location.

CanyonWithArch.png

A large canyon made very recognizable by the large arch running through it.

MuddyAreaAndPipes.png

A Xel'Naga Tower, large pipes, and a destroyed M.U.L.E. (?).

RuinedTerranCamp.png

A completely destroyed terran camp. Definitely my favourite thing I've seen in-game so far..

CanyonWithArch2.png

Another view of the canyon shown above.

MetalCityNorth.png

A view of the tall skyscrapers. A very generic view.

MetalCityCrop2.png

Another generic view of the city.

MetalCityCrop1.png

A third generic view of the city.

MetalCityIPistol.png

A huge advertisement on the side of a building. Yes it moves in-game.

MetalCityTracksAndTurbine.png

Probably the busiest scene on the map, due to the tracks, the large advertisement, and the massive turbine.

MetalCityBlimp.png

A blimp hovering in the air above the city. Unfortunately is does not move out of place.

MetalCityClams.png

BJ's Clam Shack. I lol'd.

ScrapStationPlanet1.png

The large planet in the distance.

ScrapStationSpace.png

A viking flies through open space.

ScrapStationWires.png

A landed medivac (which I always think is an enemy unit >.>), and large swaying wires connecting the two bases.

ScrapStationDocking.png

A docking station. If you look closely, you can see a medivac inside.

Last edited:
Level 22
Actually although im focused on melee, I move the map to those things at the edges of maps to see what they look like :) It's pretty detailed for medium, nice. Those places are unbuildable but maybe with the editor they can be made buildable. This is also doodads but somehow made unavailable as a form of background.

Level 9
I've seen a floating island with a tree on it in one of the maps, not sure which, but I saw it in a replay at YouTube. I hope it's not just a doodas, but that floating cliffs is possible to create.. Would someone with the beta mind posting that, I believe it's in the top-center of the unknown map :)

Level 27
God these city decorations are funny and great! SC2 already has everything I would need from a game like it... maybe it even gonna win... "Tleno's personaly most great game ever!" award.
Okay, so now we can have a Mad Max rpg with cars and punching faces and some kinda like GTHA (Grand Theft Hover Auto). Can't wait for the Star Trek: Hyperion.

Prettyful. Are the advertisements animated or anything? Interchangeable?

Yeah. In the IPistol one, for example. The marine waves his gun around and the words "IPistol" come down. But it's only that one advertisement.

do those airship things are moving?

They stay in one spot, but they're animated.

Metalopolis is my most favorite map to look at, I just love the city buildings - they scream 'recreate your future city with us please, and forget about war3 maps'. I havent seen yet what that map is vs players. Then comes Scrap Station as 2nd.

I can't wait to get my hands on those building doodads.

Also, I love Scrap Station too because there's an actual 3D planet in the distance in one area.

Can we see some equally-awesome screenshots of Scrap Station? :p

I'll try to get some tonight. :)

I didn't really see much beautiful terrain-scenes such as those in SC2, I thought the melee maps were just as plain and suck-ish as WC3's melee maps... Oh well, that's definitely one of the most awesome compilations of SC2 screenshots I've seen so far.

Yeah, the actual playable part is as lame as Wc3 (graphic improvements aside).

Edit: Added Scrap Station screenshots! They're kinda lame, but they work!

Last edited:
Level 22
So among the things I remember is - the Dome in the center of Scrap station - A long time ago I did a Bio-dome with plants for my war3 map but deleted it, now this doodad will be awesome and I can use readily in a sc2 map.

Here it is, the Dome, there is another variation with plants inside. My first screenshot from the original beta, not that it makes difference for the picture but the feeling of original is good:

Are your pics at High or Medium Textures&Graphics?

Level 22
I was only watching a replay on scrap station and I got lag on it. The map should move smoothly when you move it with arrows, the way it did in war3. The funny thing was the map moved smoothly there, where are units and buildings, so at the NorthEast corner it moves smothly, should I move it to the rich minerals field (South-West), the map roughly moves when you press the arrow keys. That was weird, could ve been before I restarted cause i hadnt restarted it since the morning..

Level 12
There's also a couple of MULEs... I remember one being in the most northern (that or the western) part of the ditch in the middle of the map. It's there for sure; it's got the saws and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.