• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft 2 Massive ORPG "Adaptation"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey all. I'm AbbaSou, rep for the team working on the Adaptation ORPG. I would like to invite anyone interested to come check out our project over here. You will quickly notice that this plans to be quite a large undertaking. It will implement several cool features, like corpse crafting, linked maps, an intricate leveling system, custom EVERYTHING, and lots of others. It is currently in the early planning stages, so there is not a lot of anything concrete (especially since SC2 isn't out yet) to show you.

The purpose of me introducing this here is to recruit help! We need brainstormers, artists, cinematographers, modelers, and several other positions. If you would like to be a part of a talented team dedicated to quality work, then I encourage you to consider the Adaptation project. Hope to hear from you soon!

--AbbaSou

Level 2
It's not just a map. It's a series of maps. It's an ORPG in which your character interacts with the StarCraft universe. There will be many quests, some plot-based, some just for leveling or acquiring items, some just for fun. It will have a story-line, many different classes, tons of skills and items, and lots to keep you entertained for quite some time. For an introduction to the project, please see the "Plot Discussion" section of the official site, as well as the "Maps, Planets & Environments" section, specifically Velani. I'm sure you'll enjoy the read.

Level 2
Admittedly, I know little to nothing about terraining and mapping. From what I see, though, it looks like you could be a significant asset to our team. I'm trying to get some of the developers over here as well to answer questions and comment on the project, but in the meantime you can introduce yourself in the recruitment thread on our page. If there are any other artists, modelers, mappers, terrainers, skill creators, item creators, etc. that are interested in Adaptation, please visit the official site (link in my sig) to check out the project. I apologize for the current layout, as it's not too user-friendly for someone just checking it out for the first time. Those of us who have been with it from the beginning know our way around, but it needs work still. We plan to put an FAQ section online soon so bear with us.

Level 1
Hey, i'm X-Sonic-X from the Adaptation forums. I'm one of the main idea contributers so far. Right now, we are looking for modelers/skinners, artistic people, and cinematic people. We are welcoming Jass scripting (in case SC2 uses it), terrainers, triggering people, composers, and possibly character designers. This game will have a multi-map system. There will be a map for each planet and possibly dungeon, a map for space, and a map for jails. There will be a reputation system and boarding system (for ship-to-ship combat) with customizable weapons, armor, and add-ons. The level limit is 1000, and the Terran and Protoss have available heroes. There will be at least one secret character ;). However, we are making sure the secret character(s) will not ruin the game. There will possibly be a fleet system, and most definately be a trading system. There also might be a way to set up "companies", or automatic trade networks. However, these networks could get easily destroyed by NPC or Player pirates. Yes, we intend to allow players to become Space Pirates and raid player/npc transports. We intend to place a do-whatever-you-want aspect to the game by making nearly all npc's killable, but you would need to suffer the consequences (galactic-wide hunt, jail, etc.) The death penalty will be very steep because we intend to make it so that dieing should be your last resort.

Last edited:
Level 2
Ok, I would like to ask all Hive Workers to come up with a list of questions about Adaptation for us so that we can create an FAQ section on our site. I realize that right now it's quite a daunting task to look through there and find anything about the project in general. Also, I don't really know what questions you guys want answered. Please list your questions, and we'll try our best to answer them for you.

Level 14
Hey im Gath_Stormer though I do not have any real good mapping skills. I am great with SC storys. And because I am obsessed with starcraft I have done research on it I could literly tell you the whole sc history from memory. If you can use me I will be more then glad to help.

Level 2
Hey Gath, sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner. I've been gone since Saturday morning. I see you've become active already in the Adaptation project. That's good!

To the rest of Hive Workshop, we are still welcoming other skilled mappers and artists to help with the project. Of course, there's other positions open as well, so regardless of your area of expertise, I'm sure there's a place for you!

Level 2
Update:

FAQ Section Online, but still a little sparse. We'll be adding more Q&A's as we continue to solidify aspects of the game.

Once again, please feel free to join and comment on anything. All feedback is welcomed (though we prefer the constructive kind :p)

Level 2
You'll be most welcome. Your input on how things might be done would still be beneficial to planning what kinds of features and events can be included. I urge you to introduce yourself to the rest of the Adaptation team (once the forum's back up). We look forward to seeing you there.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I'm going to be 'the thorn in the side', as per say, and tell you that you've got the wrong forum. Although it's right in the sense that it's related to Starcraft 2, you're recruiting help. So it should really go somewhere else :p

Although, that said, I'm quite good at thinking up story ideas and terraining. I also review and criticize maps on the hive, so if you need someone that can tell you more than 'yeah that maps good' or '5/5', then I might just well be him :)

Level 2
QC is definitely going to be a needed role throughout the development process. I'm one of them, but I don't know the first thing about mapping, so I mostly stick to the overall project. I'm also the editor for any lore/storyline that is published. Maged is the other QC guy right now, but there's plenty of room for more!

We have the basic introduction to the story right now, but we will need plenty of help fleshing out the whole plot of the game. In this you would be most welcome. Ideas are wonderful, and creative writers (i.e. turn the idea into words) are better. We have one or two story writers, but RL is hindering their contributions to Adaptation right now.

We are still in high demand for artists, including terrainers. so your contributions would be readily accepted in this area as well. From the descriptions that are posted for some for the planets, you may start to get an idea of what kind of terrains we're looking for.

In short, you would be a great addition to the team. Don't feel like you have to become heavily involved in all of those areas mentioned. Choose what you want to do and pace yourself, but we look forward to hearing from you!

Edit: Sorry, Gath_Stormer, I didn't realize you were listed under "QC" as well. It says all spots are taken, but I think we could use some more QC people. I'll speak to the project management about this.

Last edited:
Level 4
I think it's not a good idea to start a project without allknowledging all of ScumEdit's (StarCraft 2's Map Editor's name) possibilities. Though we currently have several Q&A, regarding SE's posibilities, it's a question upon how those features will be implemented into Battle.Net (not only your simple LAN madness). I think that this project has just too many expecatations from SC2's Map Editor. I would say that the pool of ideas is simply sinking the boat.
But if you're really into it, then the preparation (lore, quests, heroes, concept art, etc.) is a good choice. It would be your personal guarantee that you know what you're actually seeking to complete when you get the Editor into your hands.

It's obvious that Battle.Net's limitations for StarCraft 2 ums maps can be a real setback for this project. Some sort of Achille's Heel.

Level 2
I think it's not a good idea to start a project without allknowledging all of ScumEdit's (StarCraft 2's Map Editor's name) possibilities. Though we currently have several Q&A, regarding SE's posibilities, it's a question upon how those features will be implemented into Battle.Net (not only your simple LAN madness). I think that this project has just too many expecatations from SC2's Map Editor. I would say that the pool of ideas is simply sinking the boat.
But if you're really into it, then the preparation (lore, quests, heroes, concept art, etc.) is a good choice. It would be your personal guarantee that you know what you're actually seeking to complete when you get the Editor into your hands.

It's obvious that Battle.Net's limitations for StarCraft 2 ums maps can be a real setback for this project. Some sort of Achille's Heel.

We are fully aware that Adaptation is an ambitious project. Before I continue I should mention here that most of what we plan to implement is currently possible with WorldEdit, according to our developers (of which I am not one). There's a few things that we anticipate ScumEdit will be capable of, but if it turns out they are not possible then we will have to modify or cut some aspects of the game. As to why we are starting so early, I'll explain as best I can.

As you can see, Adaptation plans to be a huge project. It not only implements lengthy gameplay, numerous characters, and myriads of classes and items, but also an intricate plot and storyline. Given that we are simply a group of volunteer fans spread across the world, with various schedules and other activities that demand our attention, we realize that the most important part of creating a good game - planning - will take a very long time. Ideally we will have the entire game planned out, from map layout and terrain; to character, class, and item names; to the details of the plot and story, including class-specific quests; to the details of the mechanics; before SC2 is even released. That way, the actual development phase will go as quickly as possible and we will be able to release Adaptation very soon after SC2 hits the shelves.

Of course, we understand that perfect planning is highly unlikely, if not impossible, so we are prepared to make changes during the development phase, just like Blizzard is doing. There will be a lot of balancing, debugging, and testing going on that will inevitably reveal necessary changes. These can be minimized, however, through proper and thorough planning.

Right now we are actually still very much in the pre-planning stage, brainstorming what we would like to include. Not everything you see on our forum right now is guaranteed to be in the release, and some things will be saved for expansions after initial release.

We are recruiting (not hiring, since nobody's getting paid) members that wish to help in this brainstorming and planning phase of this immense project. We don't really have any work for, say, a cinematographer right now. That will come when we have ScumEdit in our hands. However, many other positions are open and waiting to be filled by committed, passionate fans who will be focused on developing a quality mod (if we can call it a mod) for our beloved StarCraft II. The Adaptation team is dedicated to delivering a superior game to the community. We will not release Adaptation with broken mechanics, cheesy components, imbalanced gameplay, or inferior graphics. We eagerly anticipate meeting those who will step up to the task at hand and lend their talents to our already superb team!

Welcome, to Adaptation!

Last edited:
Level 2
redmarine and Ash, we're still waiting for you to introduce yourselves to the rest of the Adaptation team here. And yes, we still have plenty of spots open in many positions.

Level 2
Thank you, and Welcome! You know, that translation/interpretation actually goes quite well the rest of it. Hint: it's technically old Greek (1st century koine Greek, to be precise).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ok let me get this straight. . .
Your asking for tallented editors of a game that little is known about and has not been released yet (or even a beta released)? Something tells me your project will not end up fifilling half the promises you made.

For all we know, the release version of SC2 may contain not even half the promised features. Thus until it is known exactly what is supported and what not, a large scale project can not be prepaired. For example maybe they dump any form of GUI when they release so anyone who can not learn a programming language will not be able to do their task even if they are good at their task (for example cinimatics).

Also your requesting modles when WC3 models and SC2 models will have nearly nothing in common. Basically, because a modler is good with WC3 models will not mean they can do SC2 models.

Thus put such a project on hold for a few months until SC2 is out and installed on our PCs so people can actually see what they are talented at.

Level 2
I take it you didn't read my reply to FreshMobster. Once again, we are recruiting members for the brainstorming and planning phase of development right now. Artists are welcome as well, as we will need concept art, graphics for our upcoming website, and such. We are fully aware that some roles such as modelers, texture artists, skinners, cinematographers and such cannot be filled right now. However, we do feel it is a good time to begin publicizing and promoting Adaptation so that it will be better known when SC2 is released and we can begin actual development.

In regards to what can and cannot be done, I'll repeat that most of what we are planning to implement right now can be done currently in the World Editor. Based off what Blizzard has told us (i.e. mapmaking batches like the latest) we are confident that we can implement the features that we have discussed so far. If it turns out that a certain feature cannot be effectively implemented, we will consider re-designing it or cutting it altogether.

If you feel that it is too early to begin meaningful preparation for such a project, then I encourage you to check back with us later on when we have more information about the SCUMEditor, or even after SC2 is released. If at that time you would like to contribute, please say so and we will evaluate if there are still positions to be filled. Otherwise, if you'd rather not become involved, I'm sure you'll enjoy playing the finished product.

Regards,

AbbaSou

Level 2
You know, I kinda feel bad responding like that to a site admin. I hope was courteous enough and didn't come across hostile in any way.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
It was, actually, quite a harsh reply :p

Needless to worry though, I don't think it'll come off as offensive, more 'TOO BLOODY FORMAL'.

On a side note, actually keeping things on topic, I'm going to 'introduce myself' as you're resident tester after my GCSE's have finished :)

Level 2
Formal? Well, yeah. Anything I write that I consider an "official" response from the team/project I try to keep like that. Otherwise, I'm normal. xD I look forward to seeing you on the forum soon!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I am sorry but I have seen 100s of projects like this and only 1 or 2 have actually ever produced something (which is a lot less than they prommised). They all started exactly like you and sounded great but they never produced anything and vanished into the depths of obscurity. Yours is by far the biggest gamble of a project I have ever seen try and be started. Not only are you entering a game that little will be known about for a while to come, but also you are trying to think of ideas that will be possiable and considering most projects even failed that with well known games...

However if you do eventually produce what you say you will and the project does suceed. Then there is no dught I will play your project's product atleast once in SC2 if not more.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Level 19
I am sorry but I have seen 100s of projects like this and only 1 or 2 have actually ever produced something (which is a lot less than they prommised). They all started exactly like you and sounded great but they never produced anything and vanished into the depths of obscurity. Yours is by far the biggest gamble of a project I have ever seen try and be started. Not only are you entering a game that little will be known about for a while to come, but also you are trying to think of ideas that will be possiable and considering most projects even failed that with well known games...

However if you do eventually produce what you say you will and the project does suceed. Then there is no dught I will play your project's product atleast once in SC2 if not more.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Will wc3:wow get on the success list? It's comming out quite well under the lead of Crake_J.

Status
Not open for further replies.