• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Secret life of Bees(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
So, I had to read this book for school and I must say it was the worst book ever. And in light of the up and coming movie, I thought we could pull a moviepoopshoot.com and bash it.

For those of you who don't know, it's about this teen who grows up in the south a little before the Civil War with her dad and their slaves. She doesn't have a mom which is what it's all about, sadly. So one day, she tells off these guys who are beating a slave, and as punishment her dad brutally rapes her. Then she and her surrogate mother (the head-slave) flee to the North and stay with these black ladies who sell honey. Then she starts feeling her boobs (wtf?!) and her dad shows up and tells her that she shot her mom (with a gun) when she was 1. Then it ends.

This is the worst book ever. Discuss.

Level 24
You don't like it because it's a book for women. It's also destined to be one of those movies that guys go to to get further into their girlfriends' good sides (in all senses of the term).

Level 26
What the hell are you reading?

To begin with, the book didn't take place before the Civil War. They mentioned numerous times that black people were becoming able to vote. Her dad never raped her. He beat her, yes, but the most brutal punishment he did was having her kneel on grits. That's a pretty big part of the story too. Rosaline wasn't a "head slave". Rosaline was a maid. They didn't run to the north, they ran to Tiburon, South Carolina. I'm not sure about her feeling her tits, but it's puberty. I think the only accurate thing you said was that when she was a toddler, she accidentally shot her mother with a handgun when she walked in on her parents fighting.

I personally liked the story just because of the way it was narrated.

I haven't watched the movie, but my classmates say that it's shit, and when a bunch of teenage English Honors girls say that a tacky feel-good movie about a girl's coming-of-age is shit, it's shit.

Overall, the book feels like To Kill a Mockingbird if you replaced Atticus with a drunken lunatic.

Level 36
To Kill a Mockingbird was alright. Move was descent too, besides the ugly-ass kid who played Dill. He walked on screen and my whole class started laughing.

As for worse? Reading in the Dark. Try that. It's only saving grace is that it's set in Ireland during the days of the IRA. That's it.

Level 24
Any half-intelligent dust mite can guess if you're talking to a guy or girl just with the way people say things. "Why schools make us read those bunch of crap books?" is definitely worded like a thirteen-year-old boy.

Level 24
I had a look at your posts.
Haha, its patethic, and also funny, to see how you try to act like you know more than others and try to "own" people.
I don't "try" to own people, I do own them. Not to mention that it's only directed at people that either deserve it or set up something too good to pass up.

Sorry, but I wasn't talkin with you, I think he can argue by himself.
If the President of the United States can have other people fight for him, then by God so can I!

Oh come on, with the censorship around here, that isn't possible. If it weren't for you guys acting all "LOLOLOL U CNT FLAME PPL HURR!!!" i'd probably have slapped the kid around by now.
[SIZE=-2]i slapped your mom around :eek:[/SIZE]

Level 36
I'm reading the Odyssey and the Iliad in school right now. Now let me tell you; I appreciate that they are both respected pieces of classical literature, and they both have a lot of history associated with them, but, personally, I think Homer has the talent of a twelve year old writing a B minus book report. His concepts are flawed, the storyline of both books (especially the Iliad) is broken and ugly, not to mention that people nowadays tend to dig too deep into meanings that probably don't exist.

Level 24
I'm reading the Odyssey and the Iliad in school right now. Now let me tell you; I appreciate that they are both respected pieces of classical literature, and they both have a lot of history associated with them, but, personally, I think Homer has the talent of a twelve year old writing a B minus book report. His concepts are flawed, the storyline of both books (especially the Iliad) is broken and ugly, not to mention that people nowadays tend to dig too deep into meanings that probably don't exist.

It's from ancient Greece. Get over it.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
based on your summary, i conclude that the book has nothing to do with bees.

I thought this thread was gonna be about some cool facts about bees and their social structure or sumthin.

That's like saying that the book lord of the flies has nothing to do with a lord of flies, it's obvious.

It's a social commentary, probably. I haven't read it yet, but I'll pick up a copy sometime and tell you what I think.

EDIT: The first posts synopsis sucked, too. I've pulled a better, and more literate, one:

"Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life is shaped by her blurred memory of the afternoon of her mother's accidental death. When Lily's black "stand-in mother," Rosaleen, insults three racists in town, they escape to Tiburon, South Carolina, a town that holds the secret to Lily's mother's past. Taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced to their mesmerizing world of bees and honey, is forced to confront her own dark past and learns what it means to be a family".

Level 15
My synopsis was taken from the notes I took in English. I take masterful notes, so don't blame me. Not my fault my teacher fails >>. I even remember her saying things like "Lily was raped by her father" and "before the Civil War".

Btw, I got an A+ on the test. So I must be doing something right.

Level 27
That's like saying that the book lord of the flies has nothing to do with a lord of flies, it's obvious.
It has a good deal to do with the Lord of the Flies, Beelzebub (i.e. the pig's head). It is pretty much marked the turning point of Jack to a much darker side and began the split. While there are bigger symbols in the book, and a lot of them, this one captured the main theme (or one of the more prominent ones) behind the book (corruption of mankind and all).
--donut3.5--

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Lord of the Flies implies that something would be the 'leader of flies'. Whilst Beelzebub may be a main tool used within the book, it is by no means the focal point of the literal storyline.

The use of the title 'Lord of the Flies' and 'The Secret life of Bees', shows that the author is using a tool to convey his, or her, message that they've incorporated into the book. The story could be read for its literal meaning, and the titles would make no sense at all.

The 'Bees' used within the book, 'the secret life of bees', are probably referencing to the need for others. Bees live within a hive, thus have no need to be needed, as per say, whereas the main character, Lily, is very lonely at home and feels that she is unloved by her father. However, with the help of others, -- HIVE WORK, HIVE WORK -- she is able to find that many people that care for her; she finds her 'hive', in a sense, of course.

Well, that's my two cents on it anyway.

Level 9
Which is actually worse for you, because you still spam like a 13y/o.

I resent that remark!

As for the book The Secret Life of Bees, I will never read this book as I hear it is terrible and I will never see the movie as I hear it is worse than the book, and even the Eragon movie, which by the way is a great book but terrible movie, as is The Lord of the Rings and I know you think the movie is good but if you have ever read the book you will see that the movies is just as bad as the Eragon movie by comparison which brings me to The Lord of the Flies, I have never read the book but my sister has told me a great deal about a Lord of the Rings parody that I don't remember the name of, and could very well be The Lord of the Flies, but I don't think it is. Ahhh now I can bask in the glory of my run on sentence.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Yeah, the secret life of bees is such a terrible book, I mean it was only a New York Times bestseller, it was only selected by Good Morning America's 'READ THIS!' Book Club and it only made the shortlist for the 2002 Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction. It's so crap it even won the Southeastern Book Sellers Association Award for best fiction, too. Sheesh, authors are pumping out so much shit lately.

Level 36
I resent that remark!

As for the book The Secret Life of Bees, I will never read this book as I hear it is terrible and I will never see the movie as I hear it is worse than the book, and even the Eragon movie, which by the way is a great book but terrible movie, as is The Lord of the Rings and I know you think the movie is good but if you have ever read the book you will see that the movies is just as bad as the Eragon movie by comparison which brings me to The Lord of the Flies, I have never read the book but my sister has told me a great deal about a Lord of the Rings parody that I don't remember the name of, and could very well be The Lord of the Flies, but I don't think it is. Ahhh now I can bask in the glory of my run on sentence.

This post was the most fail I've seen in a long time.

1. You haven't demonstrated any knowledge of the book, so your premature judgement of it being terrible is invalid.

2. Eragon was a terrible book, and the movie was even worse. Why was the book so bad? Because it plagiarizes from a wide variety of sources, namely Star Wars. Yes, in many places Eragon and Eldest are word-for-word copies of various parts in the original trilogy of Star Wars movies.

3. Peter Jackson is a godly director and best captures the magic of Lord of the Rings on screen. If you think it was bad, perhaps you were watching the wrong films.

4. The Lord of the Flies is not a LOTR parody. End of story.

5. Your grammar makes me want to kill myself.

Level 9
This post was the most fail I've seen in a long time.

1. You haven't demonstrated any knowledge of the book, so your premature judgement of it being terrible is invalid.

I never said I had read the book nor did I try and talk about the book negatively, I just meant that I heard from others that it wasn't the kind of book I would like to read.

2. Eragon was a terrible book, and the movie was even worse. Why was the book so bad? Because it plagiarizes from a wide variety of sources, namely Star Wars. Yes, in many places Eragon and Eldest are word-for-word copies of various parts in the original trilogy of Star Wars movies.

I know full well how much Eragon ripped from other things, I meant the way it is written is done well. If the parts ripped from other stories were replaced with his own writing, the book could have been great.

3. Peter Jackson is a godly director and best captures the magic of Lord of the Rings on screen. If you think it was bad, perhaps you were watching the wrong films.

I didn't say they weren't good, I simply said the books were much better. When I was comparing it to the Eragon movie, I was saying that the comparisons from movies books is the same, not that the quality of the movies were the same. Also if you have read tLotR (which I am sure you have) than you know that the book is one of the most amazing (not the most just one of them) books written, as it gets you more exited (or at least me) than any movie has done before, as well as the story of the book being better than that of the movie as it was fully explained and many different things happened that were all around better than the movies. Again I am not trying to say the movies were bad, I am just trying to say the books were better.

4. The Lord of the Flies is not a LOTR parody. End of story.

Read my post again. I said I had never read the book but I had heard about a LOTR parody and they could have been the same, but I even said that I don't think they are. Because I didn't.

5. Your grammar makes me want to kill myself.

I am sorry I am bad at grammar, please try to get past that if you can.

Level 36
I still don't see how Eragon can be written well if it just steals all of its writing from everywhere else?

Sure it draws you in, but that's because it's using the plot twists from other famous works. The writing itself is of mediocre quality for fantasy, and, considering it was written by a 15 year old, I can see why.

Level 15
Eragon was the worst book ever...Never bring it up. It was a blatant rip-off of Dragonlance and other famous stories.

So wait, you're saying the LotR movie comparison to the LotR book is the same as the Eragon movie comparison to the Eragon book? You said that Eragon's book to movie comparison was shit. In my mind, you just said the LotR movies were shit.

FAIL

FAAAIL

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAIL

Level 9
No! I said the difference between the movie and the book in quality were the same, NOT that the books were just as good as each other and the movies were as good as each other. I'm getting tired of explaining this. I like the movies they are great, the books are just greater.

If you don't get it think of it this way
Movie = red - Book = green
Eregon
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
tLotR
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
See? they are the movie and book are the same distance apart just tLotR is better (this is not accurate it is just an analogy).

Level 24
Do you even understand that the LotR movies are probably some of the best novel-to-movie adaptations ever, right?

Level 36
Honestly. You can't expect to have the novel up on screen, word for word. People have tried doing that before. It doesn't work. Novels can't completely transcend to film. They're two very different mediums. So you have to do an 'adaptation'. And LOTR is basically the best novel-to-film adaptation there is, as Ephy stated.

As for Eragon, yes, it rips off everything. I feel kind of bad for Paolini, what being a 15 year old kid trying to get famous by ripping off all the other stuff he reads, but, not really. He's 25 now, and still ripping off Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.