• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The scariest game you've ever played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 49
all-videos_adoringfan.jpg

seriously?

Level 11
what was the track?

Basically just some candles, graveyards, dark forest and administrators hiding around, trying to scare you when you least expect it.
(And also throwing water-filled balloons at you. That was the worst part - wet death could lurk behind every tree).

I know it doesn't sound like much, but it feels different when you actually "play" it.
Now that I'm older and the administration of these camps passed on me as well, I make sure we design something similar every summer. It's always the most successful activity :D

Level 35
the scariest game i ever played was Starcraft 2

it's scary because of the amount of suspense that is generated in the atmosphere as you gradually face the realization that Blizzard isn't going to release any expansion packs really soon

also the disappointment of only having one campaign to play truly sorts out the men from the boys

Level 12
At first I was scared by mutants in FarCry. The mutants appear from nowhere and attack very fast. The scariest mission was treehouse because it was the first one that had mutants. After playing FarCry for months I did no fear anything in the Game.

Level 25
I feel sorry for all the "modern kids" who cry over Amnesia when they never played Penumbra or SCP Containment Breach.

Based on one comment about Amnesia, you've made the assumption that I've never played said two games. You happen to be right in this case, but I could as well have played them. I researched the two, and Penumbra seems to have been released in 2007, so I highly doubt it could be classified as 'not-modern'. Also, the main antagonist of the SCP Containment Breach game is some badly textured creature with a huge, round head? Yeah, that'd definitely scare the shit out of me. Even if it has the Weeping Angels' ability to teleport to you when you don't look at it, an ability that is in itself quite terrifying, its appearance would ruin the moment for me. And surely with your 16 years of experience you have the right to call other people 'kids', based on their choice of video games.
I'm sorry if I seem a little hostile, but I just get pissed off by these smug-ass hipster idiots, who think they are better knowing because they've played some game other people haven't.

Level 4
Based on one comment about Amnesia, you've made the assumption that I've never played said two games. You happen to be right in this case, but I could as well have played them. I researched the two, and Penumbra seems to have been released in 2007, so I highly doubt it could be classified as 'not-modern'. Also, the main antagonist of the SCP Containment Breach game is some badly textured creature with a huge, round head? Yeah, that'd definitely scare the shit out of me. Even if it has the Weeping Angels' ability to teleport to you when you don't look at it, an ability that is in itself quite terrifying, its appearance would ruin the moment for me. And surely with your 16 years of experience you have the right to call other people 'kids', based on their choice of video games.
I'm sorry if I seem a little hostile, but I just get pissed off by these smug-ass hipster idiots, who think they are better knowing because they've played some game other people haven't.

Gah, I hate when I draw a comparison to an older game and people call me a hipster. The thing is that Amnesia isn't too scary of a game on its own - I mean, yeah, the feeling of constant fear is there, running for your life away from a monster can get intense, but the thing about that is that you can run away literally everywhere. Amnesia is too "open" for its own good. Penumbra on the other hand, was set in an abandoned underground facility, teeming with dark corridors and a downright terrifying atmosphere. The story was way less convoluted and nonsensical than Amnesia, and there was more than two enemy types (that look almost exactly the same as each other in Amnesia).
SCP is... well, a mixed bag. It's a no-budget game, and the thing about the main antagonist is that it's way more scary if you are into the SCP mythos (that existed a looong time before the game). Also, it's not the only monster in the game.

I'm just saying that people should play something else other than Amnesia to even be able to call it "MEEEH TIS TEH SCARYEIST GAEM I EVUR PLAYUD"

Level 2
If 'Stay Alive' was a real game [from movie 'Stay Alive'], that would make me crawl under my bed for the rest of my lifetime. Scary Stuff in that game dude.

Level 25
I'm just saying that people should play something else other than Amnesia to even be able to call it "MEEEH TIS TEH SCARYEIST GAEM I EVUR PLAYUD"

Once again you are making assumptions. Just because I haven't played the two horror games you mentioned, it doesn't mean I've never played other horror games than Amnesia. To mention a few, I've played Doom (1, 2 and 3), a bunch of the Resident Evil games, Left 4 Dead, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame and more. Still I find Amnesia scarier than all of them.
And even if I hadn't played other horror games, Amnesia could still be the scariest game I had ever played (and would be more likely to be).

Level 35
when i played amnesia, i was hiding from a monster in a room with a wooden door

then i found out that monsters can break down the doors

so i picked up a barrel and walked past the monster

perhaps i don't take games seriously enough to really fall into the atmosphere that is supposed to be oh so scary

admittedly, it does get you on edge, no matter how much you mess around, but not in a really scary way

more so in a 'oh crap i'm so bored when am i going to see some gore crap this is so boring i can't do anything apart from walk around and hope that something comes out to break the monotony'

Status
Not open for further replies.