• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Prophecy of the Dark Angel

Valenvai presents

The Prophecy of the Dark Angel
Created by Valenvai

Map Info:

A single player RPG map with new heroes and new abilities, optional quests, exploring and of course a main plot.
You are a hero, new to these lands, seeking fame and fortune unaware of the dark secrets buried deep beneath this seemingly peaceful kingdom.

Features:

• Seven playable heroes (+2 secret heroes to unlock).
  • New Custom spells.
  • Crafted items.
  • Optional Quests.
  • Hidden treasures to find.
  • Riddles to solve.
  • Non-linear world. Wander free around the kingdom and search for quests and treasures!

Screenshot:

tpotda1_zps60d73364.jpg

tpotda3_zpsdbbb1469.jpg

tpotda2_zps7701df4e.jpg

tpotda6_zpsac366be1.jpg

tpotda8_zpsc1101c26.jpg

tpotda4_zpsc842aef7.jpg

tpotda5_zpsca2bebdf.jpg

tpotda7_zps2b14e4da.jpg

Credits:

Special Thanks:
  • My friends and beta-testers (killerjackal, BlackGuard_4, IceBlue, Sideris, miampyritsanaxa, Garidaki) for their support.
  • Hive Workshop for the place to upload my map.
  • Everyone for their productive feedback (in advance).

• Nerfed Dwarven Defender (Riposte ability).
  • Fixed a bug not allowing you to enter Dragonmountain cave, cutting the main plot.
  • Made sign posts bigger. No excuse to become lost now. >:)
  • Some aesthetic changes and neutral buildings (like shops and fountains) don't show on minimap anymore.
  • 27/09/2012 Fixed more bugs.
  • 27/09/2012 Druid spells are in their correct place.
  • 27/09/2012 Defender of Nature (Druid) had its tooltip corrected.
  • 06/10/2012 Added more Optional quests.
  • 06/10/2012 Added a few 'guide' quests.
  • 06/10/2012 Revamped Wolf Companion (Arcane Archer).
  • 06/10/2012 Added more items.
  • 06/10/2012 Some bosses are tougher now.
  • 08/10/2012 Fixed some tooltips.
  • 08/10/2012 Buffed Mage.
  • 24/10/2012 Fixed some bugs.
  • 29/10/2012 Added cinematics giving detailed information about the heroes before you select them.
  • 29/10/2012 Added a 'storage' box that you can call anytime and stash your items.
  • 29/10/2012 A few aesthetic changes to cinematics.
  • 29/10/2012 Fixed a bug where you could create more than one artifact of a kind.
  • 30/10/2012 Added a Custom Preview Image.
  • 30/10/2012 Quest giving NPCs have a mark over their head now.
  • 02/11/2012 A few environment fixes.
  • 02/11/2012 Tooltip corrections.
  • 19/11/2012 Buffed Mage.
  • 19/11/2012 After public demand I removed some trees and changed a little the terrain. :)
  • 22/11/2012 Fixed a minor bug.
  • 27/11/2012 Gameplay improvements. Minor bug fixes.
  • 28/11/2012 Some balance issues.
  • 29/11/2012 Environment enriching.
  • 29/11/2012 Some balance issues for Druid.
  • 29/11/2012 Fixed some glitches.
  • 03/12/2012 Fixed bugs.
  • 05/12/2012 Fixed Arcane Archer's bugs.
  • 05/12/2012 Some tooltip corrections.
  • 05/12/2012 Some items got buffed.
  • 08/12/2012 Lowered / balanced the cost of heal and mana potions. [*]17/01/2013 Added a special secret code you can use in the next map/part. The code is shown when you complete the map.
  • 18/02/2013 Bug fixes.
  • 18/02/2013 Some camera improvements.
  • 26/02/2013 Fixed a bug considering a secret hero.
  • 26/02/2013 Minor improvements.
  • 24/03/2013 Found and fixed a nasty little bug breaking an optional quest.
  • 26/03/2013 Improved/fixed some triggers that had a chance to bug the plot.
  • 26/03/2013 Minor terrain improvement and grammar fixes.
  • 11/06/2013 Flamewish's (weapon) area of effect increased.
  • 11/06/2013 Gaeran d'Volen has a new model! (credits to Armel)
  • 11/06/2013 Machine Bow (weapon) slightly nerfed.
  • 25/01/2014 Minor terrain improvements.
  • 25/01/2014 Minor spell tooltip fixes.
  • 25/01/2014 One more riddle type quest added.
  • 28/01/2014 Bug fixes.
  • 28/01/2014 Terrain enrichment.
  • 28/01/2014 The Tomb is now deadlier.
  • 05/02/2014 Some quest bugs fixed.
  • 02/05/2014 Some quest bugs fixed.
  • 02/05/2014 A few camera improvements.
  • 02/05/2014 Building and some cave entrances now have a Circle of Power to be easier to spot.
  • 05/05/2014 Fixed a quest bug.
  • 05/05/2014 A few lore corrections to better fit with Part 2 story.
  • 14/05/2014 Fixed a glitch that sometimes caused a quest mob not appearing where it should be.
  • 18/08/2014 Balanced Samurai's "Smoke Grenade" ability.
  • 18/08/2014 Nerfed Samurai's Special Class Weapon.
  • 18/08/2014 Slightly reduced attack speed bonus gained from Agility. [*]20/08/2014 You can now choose at the begging of game to play with or without cinematics.
  • 20/08/2014 Minor terrain improvements.
  • 20/08/2014 Minor item fixes.
  • 21/08/2014 Fixed a bug that could cut the main plot progress on non-cinematic game mode.
  • 24/08/2014 Fixed a trigger that could lead to a bug.
  • 15/09/2014 Improved some triggers to avoid bugs.
  • 15/09/2014 Terrain enrichement.
  • 15/09/2014 Added some new abilities to certain enemies to increase the challenge.
  • 03/10/2014 Added new quests.
  • 03/10/2014 Added new items.
  • 03/10/2014 Minor terrain improvement.
  • 07/10/2014 Minor terrain improvement.
  • 07/10/2014 Trigger improvement to prevent possible glitches.
  • 09/10/2014 Corrected the color of some items.
  • 09/10/2014 Added 4 Rare Enemies that randomly appear in specific locations around the map.
  • 09/10/2014 Added new loot dropped by Rare Enemies.
  • 09/10/2014 Found and fixed a trigger bug.
  • 10/10/2014 Fixed a few memory leaks.
  • 11/10/2014 Minor changes for convenient gameplay.
  • 11/10/2014 Chances to encounter a rare monster were way to small. They are now higher.
  • 15/10/2014 Fixed more memory leaks. (I hope)
  • 15/10/2014 Fixed a bug I created while fixing memory leaks. Flame me at your leisure.
  • 02/02/2015 Minor bug fixes.
  • 04/03/2016 Fixed an item bug.

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Warcraft, Dark Angel, Prophecy, Valenvai, Single Player, non-linear
Contents

The Prophecy of the Dark Angel (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael Date: 2012/Oct/27 12:29:53 [Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact] Reasons: [Optional] Missing Custom Preview Image: To add a preview image, resize the image to 256x256 or 128x128 using gimp and save it as .tga...
Level 2
A decent work! I really appreciate the open-world design in this map, simple but fun. I suggest you to build a bag system functioning as a second hero of the player to carry the crafting materials and consumable items, since it is inconvenient to always teleport to the storage box or the obsidian statues to get my items. Anyway, good job!

Yes I agree with you!

Level 9
A decent work! I really appreciate the open-world design in this map, simple but fun. I suggest you to build a bag system functioning as a second hero of the player to carry the crafting materials and consumable items, since it is inconvenient to always teleport to the storage box or the obsidian statues to get my items. Anyway, good job!

Thnx a lot for the comment! I will try to improve some things in the map sometime. For now I am focused more on making the 2nd part.

Level 3
Second part
Now

It's so fucking awesome, even with cheats you take like one hour and a half to finish all the quests xD.

Level 21
Pretty classical w3 single player rpg. Not bad not good, for my taste a little too shallow.

That's because:

Fights are boring. You just watch the health bars shrink, while taking potions and spaming abilities. But that's a general problem for single player rpgs.
@author: you could try to make more use of the 0 ping with reactive abilities, such as blocking, timed attacks

Terrain is pretty underwhelming actually.

Dialogues are rather one-sided and there are many typos.
That also counts for the quests.

But still it is playable and might be worth your time, if you like the genre.

Level 5
I actually like your map. Downloaded it, began to play and realized... I played this 2 years ago xD

Is there any sense or purpose for the helmet of true sight I wonder...

Never know.

Level 5
You got a review

Gameplay - [+]
Story - [++]
Characters (+NPC) - [+]
Graphics - [0]
Atmosphere - [++]
Discovery - [+++]
Quests - [+]
Layout - [++]
Items - [++]
Bugs - [+++] (no bugs)

If you're confused about the rating, check my Signature for the Rating Table.

Full Review

Last edited:
Level 3
I think the Quest about Gigas, Real or Myth in Pentaplatano village is a Bug cause i takened the quest and i just roamed around the village after that when i'm almost leaving the village a cinematic appeared when i'm near George or someone that i completed the quest but i didn't even find and encounter Gigas...

Level 9
I think the Quest about Gigas, Real or Myth in Pentaplatano village is a Bug cause i takened the quest and i just roamed around the village after that when i'm almost leaving the village a cinematic appeared when i'm near George or someone that i completed the quest but i didn't even find and encounter Gigas...

Are you sure that the cinematic wasn't the one about the broken bridge? This has nothing to do with the Gigas quest.
I checked in the world editor and everything seems in order.

Level 2
help,about the Glen's hammer .i get this quest and then i kill all the bandit and the bandit leader , but i cannt find the hammer.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
Hi,

I tested your map. I think it's a strong first installment in a series.

You did many things refreshingly correct, but also have many problems. To highlight I'll start with your strong points:

• Above-average story-driven development
  • Very high level of completeness and expansiveness
  • Above-average level of bug purging and dialog

Unfortunately the weak points, issues, and suggestions are always more numerous.

Weak Points:

• Poor Hero Design
  • Below-average level of replayability

Issues:

• I don't recall ever killing "Gigas", but after getting the quest some erroneous state happened while leaving the town and the quest become "complete"; I didn't have any special quest item.
  • When beginning cinematics, you pause the hero, but fail to pause the rest of his units. I sugest pausing all "units of player" (I assume you're using GUI)
  • A similar problem to before, you made a mistake in your gate open/close triggers. When a unit leaves a gate region, you should count the number of units in the region. If that number is 0, close the gate (otherwise do nothing)
  • This man is highly ignorant, no matter where I stand.
  • After entering caves or using the item box "move to hero" ability, the camera didn't snap to the hero, which I expected it to.
  • The "arcane shop" unit had the magic sentry ability but no magic sentry upgrade ;)
  • Many unusual walkable areas that didn't seem intended. I suggest changing layer to terrain, pressing cntrl+D to hide destructables, and then pressing p to show the pathing map. With this you can find unusual places you can walk and fix them!
  • Your list of common issues in the quests menu is very poor design. Don't tell people how to get around your bugs, just fix the bugs ;)
  • In general I suspect all heros suffer from severe mana gating. I suggest reserving mana as a highly scarce resource for mage characters. Which brings me to: Never use mana burn. I know you're just trying to make the dungeon difficult, but there are way better ways to do that. Spell immunity, silencing effects, damage reduction, etc. But never mana burn - it's just frustrating. Mana burn rewards you for *not* managing your mana carefully.
  • I accidentally walked into some buildings (like the castle) without knowing why. Put an indication like a circle of power to let players know they can go there.
  • You misuse passive/active icons. This is one of the most complained about mistakes a mapper can make. If you *really* can't find the icon you need, convert and import it using a tool.
  • Some locations like the frozen throne gate and dragon cave are unavailable without any explanation. At least write a message "I can't go there" or something!
  • The Mpamalous ghost on top of the hill near the starting area is such bad design I have no words. What is that even for?
  • Sometimes terrain blocks vision in a "f*** the player" manner. You walk over a cliff ramp and you're being bashed in the face by high level monsters. There's no way to escape if you go there by accident, exploring, and there's no way to plan/engage safely if you're there on purpose. It's just bad ;)
  • Hail of Arrows is an unbelievably ugly ability, just never do something like this again.
  • Summon Wolf can be abused to jump over walls
  • After the blood filled black heart event, I still had the item (bug?)
  • After forging both items available to me the quest didn't simply go away.

Suggestion:
  • Use an existing "backpack" system to manage items instead of the uncomfortable item box + obelisk inventories.
  • I mentioned you had poor hero design, but my thoughts are specific to the arcane ranger:
    • Arcane missiles cause severe mana issues due to her reliance on her pet and low mana pool. As a result, I actually didn't upgrade my ultimate ability until around level 15, saving my mana instead for the pet + missiles
    • Arcane missiles massively incentivizes attack speed, but she has no synergistic ability in that regard. The trueshot aura, ult, and attribute bonuses all provide negative synergy. I suggest replacing her E ability with a berzerk-based ability (attack speed bonus) and her R ability with an avatar type ability (unlimited mana, magic immunity, bonus movement speed, cooldown reduction, perhaps)
  • Suggested Reading about Bad Hero Design
  • Suggested Reading about Synergy
  • As I said one of your strongest points is story-driven development, but your spelling, grammar, and style are not exactly "good" by professional standards. Suggested Reading about writing brevity and quality
  • Adjust all unit scales, selection scales, attack range, and collision radii. They caused serious problems with clicking what you want and also cause aesthetic imperfections.
  • You use "..." in dialog in place of almost every punctuation available. Don't do that. Learn to use hyphens, dashes, semicolons, commas, and periods correctly! There was also some improper spelling and grammar, which I really suggest working on since the story is one of your strongest points.
  • Consider getting voice actors for your cinematics - this will really exemplify your focus on story.

In general I think your map is above average. I hope that you'll fix the bugs in this map, and your skills overall will improve when the next installment is finished.

Good luck,

Attachments

• LastReplay.w3g
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
Level 9
Thnx a lot for the feedback! I will fix / improve, starting right away actually!

Edit:
- I noticed a possible glitch that might bugging Gigas quest like you (and other people) mentioned. I re-designed the trigger to, hopefully, prevent such thing.
- I was aware of that. I guess I forgot to fix some triggers. I recall fixing this on some. Will take a closer look later.
- Doors open / close fixed.
- The ignorant man talks to you when you go near the bridge. I enlarged the area that triggers the quest just in case.
- Camera panning when you enter caves fixed.
- Arcane shop fixed.
- Unusual walking places fixed (I hope). Will keep looking.
- List of common issues is for bugs that I don't know how to fix. I mean, I look the triggers but everything seems to be in order and shouldn't cause that bugs. :(
- Mana costs improved for lower levels. I guess you are right, mana was spent too fast and made game progress slow. Higher level mana costs remained almost the same. I guess it's a balancing issue that needs further and lengthy investigation. I will keep working on it on the future.
- Building entrances now have a circle of power to show the player. Cave entrances remain unmarked since they are obvious to spot.
- Places you can't enter until you have thr required quest will now give a "You can't go in there yet" message.
- Mpampoulas ghost is designed like this for a reason. There is a way to kill it though.
- The quest about forging the items is more of an "informative" quest. Considering I'm thinking of putting more crafts I think it should stay available for the player to check it at any time.
- Terrain blocked vision is used sometimes to suprise the player with sudden attacks. Like a poorly designed trap. :p
- Hail of Arrows will not make it in the next part, don't worry. :p
- Blood filled black heart stays after quest? I just checked the trigger and it shouldn't be. I need to find where the glitch is.

I will look for your suggestions in the future.

Last edited:

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
List of common issues is for bugs that I don't know how to fix. I mean, I look the triggers but everything seems to be in order and shouldn't cause that bugs. :(

If you post the triggers here or in the "Triggers and Scripts" forum someone might try and spot an error.

- Blood filled black heart stays after quest? I just checked the trigger and it shouldn't be. I need to find where the glitch is.

I may have somehow acquired two of them, hard to say. I guess you took a look at the replay though? 1 download.

Level 5
I did that and I still can't find the Gigas:( any specific location? I know it's around the village area.... oh and I found a secret bandit camp just beside the Arcane Sanctum shop in the first village and it's covered by trees so I can't go through.... what is it doing there?

Level 9
I did that and I still can't find the Gigas:( any specific location? I know it's around the village area....

Search to the north west.

oh and I found a secret bandit camp just beside the Arcane Sanctum shop in the first village and it's covered by trees so I can't go through.... what is it doing there?

Have a very careful look around the lake. ;)

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I'm afraid I can't watch the replay as I have the newer and fixed version of the map. But I'll have a careful look on what you posted.

The replay is just for you and I don't mind if you look at it or not, but just a word of advice: Always keep redundant copies. Use a version control system if it makes it easier.

Level 5
I still can't find the gigas I searched every inch of the map and couldn't find him I used iseedeadpeople and still can't find him..... (couldn't take it anymore so I had to use that as my only option lol) is there something u need to do for him to appear? I found some sasquatches just northwest of the village....

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
And a few questions:

Is Gigas one of the Sasquatch that I murdered pre-entering the town?

Why is an INT hero (Vampire) melee? INT heroes are usually fragile, and since his Carrion Swarm gives him mana issues, he will be forced to focus on mana/int items.

What does the traveler do other than patrolling outside the city?

About the Strange Man, does he say something about the buyable gun in Night Elf village that could deal more damage to a certain boss?

Also:

Once Glen's Hammer quest is really completed, it should appear as so.

Paladin should be a bit stronger, he's more of a support role on this meta for a solo map.

I'm a bit happy seeing that Orcs are correlating with Humans, Dwarf and Elves.

Last edited:
Level 9
I still can't find the gigas I searched every inch of the map and couldn't find him I used iseedeadpeople and still can't find him..... (couldn't take it anymore so I had to use that as my only option lol) is there something u need to do for him to appear? I found some sasquatches just northwest of the village....

Gigas appears near the sasquatches you mentioned (a bit to the northwest), after you've aquired the quest.

And a few questions:

Is Gigas one of the Sasquatch that I murdered pre-entering the town?

No. Gigas only appears after you've aquired the quest.

Why is an INT hero (Vampire) melee? INT heroes are usually fragile, and since his Carrion Swarm gives him mana issues, he will be forced to focus on mana/int items.

Vampire hero was Strength based at first. Beta-testers back then found him extremely strong; he didn't even had to use spells. Making him Intelligence was a balancing issue but it was fitting his background as well.

What does the traveler do other than patrolling outside the city?

He writes poems. Hehe, don't worry he is not important.

About the Strange Man, does he say something about the buyable gun in Night Elf village that could deal more damage to a certain boss?

He might be giving a clue on how to kill something, on a mountain that looks like your worst fears. Or maybe he is just crazy. Who knows? :p

Paladin should be a bit stronger, he's more of a support role on this meta for a solo map.

So far beta-testers mentioned Paladin as the strongest hero but I'll have a look at it myself.

I'm a bit happy seeing that Orcs are correlating with Humans, Orcs and Elves.

Orcs are accepted through the kingdoms of men, elves and dwarves but not all. Their clans are divided and fighting a civil war. There are still orcs with evil intents and plans of conquest! ... and that's a spoiler! :xxd:

If memory serves, that was the first comment of someone about the game lore. I'm really happy about that!

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
He might be giving a clue on how to kill something, on a mountain that looks like your worst fears. Or maybe he is just crazy. Who knows? :p

The Death Knight? That's the only "mountain" I saw.

Orcs are accepted through the kingdoms of men, elves and dwarves but not all. Their clans are divided and fighting a civil war. There are still orcs with evil intents and plans of conquest! ... and that's a spoiler! :xxd:

If memory serves, that was the first comment of someone about the game lore. I'm really happy about that!

Just don't let Daelin Proudmoore or Garithos come near your story.

And btw, about the riddle the Cenarius statue said, the spirit owl kinda gave the position away...

Level 2
I just finish to play this map and ...
Congratulations!! It was very fun, i'm not very competent but i think this is a very good Job. The environment is simple but suggestive and the lore is well done. I'm curious, in the endcredits I saw that the soundtracks were made by you, it means that you've composed​​?
Just an observation, i think that the enemy encounters in Ice Palace before Anubis are too weak.
So i hope to can play soon to the sequel.
Greetings

Level 1
the cinematics are a bit to long when i died i got really annoyed cause i had to redo all the cinematics:ogre_rage: maybe a way to skip them or make them shorter? but all in all 4/5 map nice job!

Level 9
I just finish to play this map and ...
Congratulations!! It was very fun, i'm not very competent but i think this is a very good Job. The environment is simple but suggestive and the lore is well done. I'm curious, in the endcredits I saw that the soundtracks were made by you, it means that you've composed​​?
Just an observation, i think that the enemy encounters in Ice Palace before Anubis are too weak.
So i hope to can play soon to the sequel.
Greetings

Thnx for the good words!
The music was indeed made by me but I didn't compose it. I was using a program called E-Jay where you can just combine some samples on channel mixer and create music tracks.

Key

Key

Level 1
I played with the samurai, pretty easy I must say. Few things I find imbalanced. Like most of the items are dumb, like really dumb. You should probably add or change some of them.For example I had no agi items cause most of them were shit, dey give like some armor and ~10dmg/agi. I had boots, lifesteal and 2 books. Literally the agi items are worthless and the books are probably the best items in the game. Also samurai 1st skill scales pretty badly. Like you level it up only once and you already got a 7sec stun which is more than enough. I maxed the whirlwind and had 1 point at evasion, the rest went to + stats cause the ult is pretty mana inefficient. Also after I crafted the Katana or w/e which gives 3% chance to insta kill the game became boring. I literally stunned bosses (for 10seconds, pretty OP if you ask me) and waited for the proc. Killed the final boss in like ~5sec just cause of the proc :<

Skipping scene would also be good since people might replay the map with different hero and its annoying, boring and time consuming to wait for something you already know

I might try the vampire now