• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Role Playing Game] The Power of Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
cropped-dmdf.jpg

Download:
Warcraft III: The Power of Fire mod

Installation steps:
  • Download the .exe installation setup file on the website.
  • Run it and install the modification into the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne directory.
  • Start Warcraft III: Frozen Throne.
  • Singleplayer: Play the custom campaign "The Power of Fire" or the German custom campaign "Die Macht des Feuers".
  • Multiplayer: Start a custom game and select one of the maps in "The Power of Fire" ("en" English maps, "de" German maps).
All bugs are reported on the following website: Issues · tdauth/dmdf · GitHub
Known bugs in prerelease 1.0:
  • Sometimes when traveling to the World Map (especially from Dornheim), the game crashes.
  • During video sequences the camera zooms slowly to the target.
  • Spells might use mana although not being able to cast.
  • Restoring the inventory when traveling back to another map might not work.
  • Black textures for horses in the map Dornheim.
Known bugs in 0.9:
  • Don't select "Teach me the witch song." for the NPC Mathilda.
  • Sometimes when traveling to the World Map (especially from Dornheim), the game crashes.
  • During video sequences the camera zooms slowly to the target.
  • Spells might use mana although not being able to cast.
Known bugs in 0.8:
  • DO NOT SOLVE THE QUEST FOR EINAR. DON'T FORGE SHORTSWORDS FOR HIM. THIS CORRUPTS YOUR SAVEGAME.
  • DO NOT JOIN ANY LEGION: After joining a legion you can save and load but not save afterwards.
  • Use as many different savegames as possible to prevent from being stuck with a corrupted savegame!

Known bugs in 0.6:
  • Items must be destacked before selling them. Otherwise you won't get the full gold (fixed in 0.7).
  • One sentence of Dago is bugged and cannot be skipped. There is no sound (fixed in 0.7).
  • When a character does already talk to an NPC other characters must talk to that NPC by using a right click. The "Speak to Person" button disappears (fixed in 0.7).
  • Every spellbook skill shows level 1 even if the skill is not learned. An extra skill which says "Learn skill" will be added in 0.7 (fixed in 0.7).
  • Many English translations are still missing.
  • Many sound recordings of NPCs are still missing.
If you test the mod and tell me about more bugs I would be very thankful.

Upcoming features (TODO list) for 1.0:
  • More English translations and fixes of the exising translations.
  • Computer fellows can use a backpack and therefore heal themselves with items or pick up items.
  • Music is used during video sequences and some existing music is replaced.
  • Show the current level of an ability in the character grimoire.
  • Complete sound recordings for all NPCs and the main character.
  • Improve the new maps (terrain, new NPCs, routines etc.)
  • New parts of the story in Holzbruck and the North.
  • Better balancing.

English Let's Play (Version 0.9):

German Let's Play (Version 0.8):

German Let's Play (Version 0.8):

German Let's Play (Version 0.7):

Facebook Page: The Power of Fire | Facebook
Mod DB Page: Warcraft III: The Power of Fire mod
Search Thread for German voice actors: Rollenspiel-Mod sucht Sprecher | HoerTalk.de - Hörspiel-Community

Introduction:
The Power of Fire probably is the biggest German multiplayer COOP RPG mod for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. It exceeds the 8 MByte limit by far using a custom MPQ.
It has been started back in 2007 and since then been improved but also left in the corner. The development was interrupted many times due to my own inactivity, other projects etc.
Since its beginning it has grown and uses now lots of custom RPG systems which all have been written by myself in vJass. Besides the story and dialogues have been under long development and the mod has now as much content as you could wish for.

COOP means that all players work together on finishing a main quest line while still being able to make their own quests.
Many NPCs offer quests while talking to the character through dialogues where the player can select his choice of questions and answers just like in games like Skyrim or Gothic.
Each quest which is not part of the main quests can be finished by each player once.
Although it is a COOP mod it has a PvP mode as well which is integrated in the story and therefore makes some sense. Besides there is an AOS area.
The modification can also be played as campaign in single player only. In the campaign you can play multiple maps and change between them like in the Bonus Campaign. Your character will be stored and restored in every map.

Features:
  • Multiplayer: up to 6 players
  • Real Texture models
  • Huge world: the playable size of the first map is 234x197
  • Map transitions in the single player campaign: You can go to another map and back like in the Bonus Campaign
  • Backpack and equipment systems (6 equipment slots, 4 * 30 backpack slots)
  • Professions: Hunter, Alchemist, Smith, Sorcerer, Demonologist
  • Respawning creeps
  • Respawning items
  • Distributed item drops, bounty and XP - prevents characters from becoming much stronger than others
  • RPG camera system
  • NPC fellows who can be controlled by all players
  • Riding sheeps and horses
  • Custom bases per player which allow collecting gold
  • Voice acted conversations with NPCs with multiple choice dialogues
  • Daily routines of NPCs
  • Shrines with revival points
  • More than 30 quests for each player in the first chapter
  • 9 main quests for all players in the first chapter
  • 30 NPCs with custom dialogs in the first chapter
  • More than 10 video sequences in the first chapter
  • Maximum level is 10000
  • Custom skill system: Multiple skill points from start and per level
  • Custom spells
  • 8 different classes
  • 15 different spells per class (1 default, 2 ultimates and 12 spells with 5 different levels) = 120 different spells + "Attribute Bonus", "Mount a Horse" and many other spells
  • Linear story
  • PvP: Arena map and AOS area
  • Dungeons with bosses
  • Voice recordings for dialogues and unit soundsets
  • Multiple Languages: German, English (in progress)

Classes:
At the moment there is 8 different classes with each having 15 different spells + Attribute Bonus and a Mounting Horse spell:
  • Cleric - Healer and damage protector. He is also able to revive other characters.
  • Necromancer - Summons different creatures. Besides he can create corpses and heal from them.
  • Druid - Healer and transformer. You can play him as crow, bear or human.
  • Knight - Passive warrior with many auras and defensive skills.
  • Dragon Slayer - Aggressive warrior with many damage skills.
  • Ranger - Long-range combat fighter with many damage skills who can also hide.
  • Elemental Mage - Damage mage who causes an enormous amount of damage with his skills.
  • Wizard - Mana mage with many skills for transfering mana and passively benefiting from casted spells who can also mirror himself.

Videos:

[youtube]
[/youtube]

[youtube]
[/youtube]

[youtube]
[/youtube]

[youtube]
[/youtube]

[youtube]
[/youtube]

This video is the oldest which has still green icons and doesn't show the grimoire. It also lags quite a bit.
[youtube]
[/youtube]

Screens:
Die Macht des Feuers – The Power of Fire

wc3scrnshot_072512_202751_33.jpg

wc3scrnshot_072512_200137_07.jpg

wc3scrnshot_072512_003607_10.jpg

wc3scrnshot_072412_230329_11.jpg

wc3scrnshot_072412_231231_17.jpg

wc3scrnshot_072512_200409_08.jpg

Story:
This RPG has no standard RPG story telling which includes quests like "Kill 6 wolves" or "Find 12 items". The main story focuses around a castle called "Talras" which might be attacked by invading Orcs and Dark Elves. Therefore the reigning duke hires you and your friends to help him defending his land.
While hiring allies for the duke you will meet people such as norsemen (awesome) who are on their own journey.

There are many other quests and story lines of the NPCs in the castle, the village and other locations. All NPCs live together in this believable world. Consider that I played the German RPGs Gothic and Gothic II when I started this mod. All NPCs have their own dialogs, daily routines etc.
You can choose to help NPCs or offend them. Quests may have different solutions.

Language:
At the moment the dialogs and quests are written in German but I would work on a translation into English (maybe with the help of others).

Sound:
Since there is no 8 MByte limit it would be possible to get voice actors and to record all dialogs.

German Thread:
Die Macht des Feuers - inWarcraft Forum

Source Code:
This project is completely Open Source.
You can download the source code and model resources etc. for the latest release here: Downloads - Warcraft III: The Power of Fire mod for Warcraft III: Frozen Throne

There is a GitHub repository which contains the latest code (not the resources): GitHub - tdauth/dmdf: A Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne modification.

Help:
Indeed, I need much help. Over the years I've been the main and most of the time the only person behind this huge project. Fortunately, I am taking care of the code basis/systems etc. so the areas where I really need much help now is terraining, the graphics/models and the spells.

The terrain does not look that awesome since I am not an experienced terrainer and my friend who helped me is neither.

Besides many models are still missing and some model editing has to be done.
If you like this project and are interested in helping me just contact me.

Last edited:
Level 31
I always support HQ projects, screenshots looks really pleasing and overally good job. Thumbs up for open source idea as well.

Aren't you worried about people having to wait tremendous amount of time just to download this huge map when attempting to play publically? Those voice actings would surely add lots of weight to it. Nevertheless, it is time to set online maps to the next level, so I wish you all the best with it.

Level 25
I always support HQ projects, screenshots looks really pleasing and overally good job. Thumbs up for open source idea as well.

Aren't you worried about people having to wait tremendous amount of time just to download this huge map when attempting to play publically? Those voice actings would surely add lots of weight to it. Nevertheless, it is time to set online maps to the next level, so I wish you all the best with it.
Thanks and of course I am worried. There are many more things which would prevent users to play this mod but on the other hand you have the advantages to use all resources usually only campaigns use.

Level 25
Indeed, someone must be willing to play this mod since it requires some time to play all the quests and explore the map etc. you usually need some "reliable" other players who won't leave after 5 min.
Therefore it always requires some preparation I think. This mod has been started after I played some RPG maps with my best friend and we got a bit bored by some of these maps which are intended for simple battlenet hosting with any players whoever will join the game.

This mod might be better for a LAN or people who know each other. If you know the old Gothic or Gothic II games you might know how a great authentic RPG world can look like AND have a great story. I've always hoped to play some story like that in such a world, only with other players as well.

Btw. at the moment I am working on an item respawn system which might allow players to collect plants etc.

Level 25
Some updates: I've implemented more spells. Note that each class has 15 different spells!
1 spell is a basic unskillable ability which each class has. 2 spells are ultimates and can only be skilled to one level when the character reached level 12 and level 25.
The remaining 12 spells have 5 levels and can be skilled regulary.
So on each level up you can spend multiple skill points to different skills.

Note that up to 4 spells can be added as "favorites" and can directly be reached in the UI. The others are packed in a spellbook ability.

Now hopefully the map does not become too boring with all these spells. Many of them are based on standard wc3 abilities but there are also many custom spells.

For example the Druid can transform into a crow or a bear or heal his fellows in many different ways. Most of his abilities are based on wc3 ones.

On the other hand the Elemental Mage or the Wizard use many many custom spells. The elemental mage for example has a spell which increases the damage of all other spells he has.
The Wizard of course has many mana related skills. For example one ultimate skill can be used to refresh mana passively whenever spells in range are cast.

Level 31
I like the idea of having a set of skills, some flexible bunch of available abilities could truly provide a decision based experience, the key here I suppose is to make those spells work with each other really well, so that player could discover various combos. (currently having this aim with my project's talent tree)

Level 25
Now there is no real talent tree but some combinations are possible and I'd like to improve this a bit. I don't want to make too many dependencies between skills.
For example you can skill a passive ability as druid which improves the both animal forms.
Or as I wrote one skill improves the damage other skills make.

It's a bit hard to balance the many combinations of skills which this results but since it is a COOP and not a PvP map like DotA it does not matter THAT much. The classes simply must be interesting and UNIQUE.

Level 31
Balancing is important and difficult indeed, but it all comes after doing some tests or later on when people give feedback.

In my opinion it is cool that players could find out some tricks or good combos on themselves, it would show how much thought was given for the game and its mechanics.

Of course it would require lots of coding and time, but you could make all (partly) spells multitasking just like you mentioned your passive ability. It would surely open lots of combos and possibilities if all spells were like this and made as balanced as possible, so that every spell and combo would be wanted to be tried out.

Level 25
Yes if I had another code I would use more custom spells but since I do all the coding stuff it really gets hard to maintain many custom spells.
When I added the Druid I simply used wc3 standard spells with some extras and therefore I do not have to worry about too many code parts but I agree about the flexible combos etc.

Another thing I've discovered is that especially in a COOP map when you offer many class spells it gets hard to create enemies which do also have many different spells.
In the beginning of the game you simply slay some boars which do have maybe one single ability.
Later when you've skilled a lot you would expect the enemies to have many skills, too but sometimes it just doesn't fit to the enemy or area etc. so sometimes you end up in killing boars or wolves with many different combos and spells but that's how it is :D

Level 31
What I would suggest from my own experience, you can trick the system by adding more special effects with other, but simple, spells for stronger creeps, this way a need for many custom spells could be kind of suppressed, because those effects would basically give what player wants - something fresh, hehe. What I do, I try to give nasty custom spells to bosses only, the stronger the boss, the more nasty tricks it has, and for creeps I basically do this special effect illusion and it seemed to work for me very well, what do you think?

Level 25
Yeah but for some creeps like boars or wolves any spells with effects wouldn't fit I think.
I agree about the bosses abilities.

Sometimes it is even enough to give them stuff like stunning and making much damage which is annoying enough for the players.
I think it depends on the map itself. Some maps like the Diablo RPG maps are built like a linear dungeon where you get from one boss to another. In an open world RPG there might be "some" dungeons but at many locations there are simple enemies.

Level 25
Hey guys,
I've added the section "How to test the mod" since it is Open Source.

Good news: Someone is interested in helping me with the terrain and hopefully will. Another person contacted me about the balancing. We'll see if he is still interested since I needed to upload the MPQ archive.
As you can see it has a size of 150 MiByte which might be reduced in the future. There are many unused textures and models.

Minor note: I need a great loading screen. The current loading screen really sucks. It should be something dark (an artwork) which of course must be related to fire.

I've added some quests and revised some NPC dialogs. The main work is now to fix scripting bugs and add remaining spells, items and some abilities for creeps.
There really is a massive amount of code which I have to maintain.

Level 25
Unfortunately the terrainer does not respond anymore, so I still need someone

Work goes on very well. Hopefully I will start an alpha test with some volunteers in July or August. The map can be played through already. Most bigger issues are fixed now.
Range weapons and unit transformations work now.

There needs to be more content like items and creep abilities as well as creep spots.
Besides there is no useful translation tool like gettext, so the translation will be a bit complicated. Maybe I will generate a wts file with Google translate for a first version :D

Does anybody know if there is a tool which supports this already?

Edit:
If you are German you can participate in an upcomming alpha test: http://warcraft.ingame.de/forum/threads/215287-Alphatester-gesucht!

Last edited:
Level 31
Looks nice, you might want to use the YOUTUBE tag and post those videos on your first post.

Looks like your game is full of various outcomes of the gameplay and it offers losts freedom. If you do not care about the size, you could attempt to voice act the most important lines in the game. Acapela-group also offers up to 5 German, high quality artificial voices in case finding actors would become problematic. You may also want to fix those DISBTN of icons, so that when menu appears, it doesn't go green.

Level 25
The green icons are in the old video which has been uploaded long before the other three. Thanks for the advices I will use the tag.
About voice acting I think that there is the possibility to find some voice actors but I am not sure if the dialog is already finished.

Level 25
Some updates:
- Videos are in the first post now.
- Many bug fixes and extensions to the main story. There will be a nice siege battle in the end. I use trebuchet and ballista models for this. Besides I've added a hunting quest and several animals which can be bought.
- Multiplayer tests: the mod has been tested two times with two players for several hours
- faster Internet connection which means I will upload a new version of the mod as soon as possible
- voice recordings: I found a German website for voice recordings and currently I am passing the dialogs to German voice actors.

Level 25
Hey guys,
where should I begin, there have been many many updates over the last weeks.
Some multiplayer tests helped me to find many bugs and by now most of the important stuff is fixed.
The voice recording goes on very well. Here you can read about the casting.

Here you can see how many commits I made over the last weeks.

There's one last main quest which is still in progress and I am improving the cinematics a bit. Of course more items and spells are added and improved as well.
Btw. you can craft items now. There is a book of magic and a book of potions which allow you crafting. The resources for crafting can be found on the ground and will respawn after some time.

Last weekend I've created an amazing Arena map for 12 players based on the source code of this project. In only took me about 366 lines of code and all the stuff from the mod is available in this PvP arena map. You can choose one of the eight classes and buy all the items.
Read this article to get more information about the Arena map. It will be updated whenever I release a new version of the Talras map.

I am planning to release Talras version 0.3 and the Arena map version 0.3 very soon which will contain all the updates.

Unfortunately a terrainer or some 3D artist is still missing.

Level 25
Yes I am sorry for that. It started in German and the translation would delay the project for a long time. Here I've asked for ways of translation. The method with GetObjectName() of a footman seems to be the best one for the vJASS code, so I can translate stuff in the code already but there's so much object data and a big big WTS file as well as tons of dialogue.

Level 8
Let me say a few things first.

That part where you chose a class.When you select a necromancer the text that starts describing his class kinda isn't right in the beginning.You use too much 'they' or something like that.

And when i talked to Dago and asked him to tell me more about this area (after we killed the bears and is stay on the road to castle or smth like that) he doesnt have any voice and takes waaay longer to wait for his sentence to end but it may be cuz i used cheats so i missed up or something...anyway all is good so far.'

(yes im playing single player)

Last edited:
Level 8
Hey man i just noticed something and it seems strange so i'm not sure if it is a bug or intended by you.

I have 7x Bear fur(or wolf doesnt matter) and one is worth 30g but when i stack 3 of them together they are still worth 30g.When you try to sell them you sell stack of 3 for 30 gold instead of 90 so it doesn't make sense.

Am i really forced to divide the stacks manualy to one by one then sell them?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Item Chanterelle (mushrom icon) stack is value with stack.For example one is worth 2g i put two together and they worth 4g and so on.So this item is working properly but others arent?Should i make a list of all items i come across that wont stack their value with other items they've been put together with if you know what i mean?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

It's getting harder to play since the game is running out of English text xD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Hey man i bought some shield from Agihard's box in the first town..But they didn't give me any armor.My class is Knight so idk if there are some rules what items you can wear?

NOTE: I just want to say that i started my game from Campaign not Custom games so i don't know if that changes anything?

Last edited:
Level 25
ok the gold stuff is a bug which will also be fixed in 0.7. It worked in the version before and I tried to sell all charges at once which didn't work. In 0.7 you will sell one charge at a time and get gold for it. You could play 0.5 but then again there would be other bugs :D

I am sorry about the English translation progress. I really need some help there since there is so many texts which need to be translated.

Which shield are you talking about? There should be no class restrictions, so this must be a bug.

Thx for all the feedback.

edit:
I am already working on the release 0.7 for quite some time. You can see the commits here: http://gitweb.wc3lib.org/?p=dmdf.git;a=summary
Besides there is a blog article about the upcoming release: https://diemachtdesfeuers.wordpress.com/2016/03/02/the-power-of-fire-upcoming-release/

Level 8
Hey it's me again! ;p

About the shields...forget it they work fine it's just i forgot my bag/rucksack was opened so i thought thats all there is,didn't realize my first weapon and shields were equipped.

But Wieland the black smith in the first town when you speak to him the first time and you accept his first somewhere in the dialoge of his there is a type,a double "ww" sorry i didn't remember the whole sentence so you will have to look into it a bit.

And i wanted to ask is tavern closed?I mean when i walk up to the circle to enter it just changes camera to view the tavern from above,am i missing something?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

When you go to the castle Heimrich tells you to go to the camp east of the castle and talk to some people.Well Ricman dialoge also has a type it says "sems" instead send (or it's my player typo not sure,but it's one of us two ;p)

Level 25
thx I fixed the two spelling mistakes. About the tavern: Once you could enter it and the view should have changed to a distance where you could see the inner room but the tavern room will be removed in 0.7 since it is unnecessary at all.
If you cant see into the room change the camera distance if possible with "-menu".

thx for all the feedback. This is really helpful.

Level 8
Ok there is a problem with the mission "Shared mission: Norseman" where when the you meet at the place you are suppost to go in the woods.You and that Wigberht and some of his men fight the orcs but after you defeat the first run,the second run wont come to you instead they stayed back at the camp for some reason?I waited for like a minute or two but they stayed at the camp?

So i decided to go to camp and kill them.It all went well but since after that there is a cutscene where Wigberht is fighting some orc and the orc is in the camp i'm guessing i was never suppost to be at the camp?

But maybe i should have waited longer?

NOTE: i used cheats "whosyourdaddy" and "iseedeadpeople" to see the whole map and kill units faster so mby i speeded up the process too much? ;p
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

There is a typo in mission "Slaughter" with that high elf when you go into that cave/grave part and it starts talking how in there,there is Medusa instead of saying word "evil" it says "eveil" i think ;p

And i personaly think that specific text should be up for few more seconds it's too fast ;p
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

In tht same mission "Slaughter" (Last part of that mission) when you kill the Dracula dude or what ever he is you walk up to purple square for cinematic to start.The camera just points our point of view to a rock?I think you should fix the camera there ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT

In mission "Deranor the Terrible" that Skeleton boss spawns some black infernals called "Shadow Giant" during a short cinematic when you first enter the cave i think.But they are neutral which means they wont fight.But when you come near that boss he starts spawning a couple more of those Shadow Giant's which makes no sense.

After you have defeated the boss the those "neutral" Shadow Giant's are still there.Yes i can kill them but i think this is a bug and they should hostile.

And one more thing.When you do kill one of those things they blood.Like spew blood when they die.But that makes no sense because all they are,are bunch of rocks mixed together.They shouldn't have bleeding death animation.(but that's just my opinion)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Just noticed in that mission "Deranor the terrible" after i have defeated the boss and started leaving the new angles have spawned again (i forgot their name since it's really long and it's on german ;p)

So why would they spawned if i killed them and the mission if over?

Last edited:
Level 25
You can go to the camp. There is no problem with that since you should defeat them and conquer the camp. I hope I can fix the returning Orcs. As long as you finished the quest successfully, everything is fine.

The sound is too fast since the voice recording is probably missing, so it's always 5 seconds. I am still searching for a voice actor for the Dragon Slayer.

What camera do you exactly mean? The end video when you kill the diacon?

Shadow Giants: I will fix that. He casts the spell in the cinematic version and then again as normal unit.

Since all creeps respawn after some time the angels do as well but I agree with you that it mabye makes no sense but even the Medusa and the Diacon should respawn. Only Deranor stays "dead" forever.

Thx for all the feedback.

edit: I am impressed how far you have played without knowing the language :D

Level 8
What camera do you exactly mean? The end video when you kill the diacon?

Yeah.The "meat the death crypt" part.

_----------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

I also wonder why isn't there any default music on while playing the game?It inspires people to play more?
_----------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

I think when you talk to Osman and ask him for help (or before that) he spelles religious wrong somewhere but not sure.

Character Wieland the blacksmith when you return the first quest to him he asks you for a favor but in the ending dialoge he tell's you to "as k" which should be "ask" for some dude about the price for a sword.Just some small typo ;p

I think with this i'm done with playing it for today.

Level 25
coreligionist should be correct. I fixed "a sk". I had some music even for the cinematics but it is GEMA protected in Germany and I removed it. If you know any good RPG music I will use it. The wc3 music doesn't really fit, I think.

Thanks for your efforts.

Level 8
In the mission "Traps from Bjorn" i think he spelled "worreid" instead of "worried" when he says how his wife is worried.
In the HINT near the duke it says "Complete the missiong "War" first...." you can see the obvious typo ;p
When you ask Osman to tell you more about this cultist he says "culr" instead of "cult"

LOL damn was just saving the game and i crashed...think i will play some tomorrow.This is all for now!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.