• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Oakwood Forest (RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
The Oakwood Forest ORPG

The Oakwood Forest ORPG

The Oakwood Forest is an ORPG that takes place in a The Oakwood Forest. This forest is devided into several parts where players can do Events or PvP. People can make characters and level them up to level 40. While leveling they can learn to improve their abilities by chosing certain talent points.
There are 8 races and 24 different classes in this game. Each class has a different play style, and each race has different allies. There are 3 factions; Humans, dwarves, high elves VS dark elves, undead VS orc, tauren, troll.

Current Team:
  • Teuncreemers - Terraining ////////////////////
  • Ciebron/RaiN - Triggers ////////////////////

List of Oakwood Forest features:
  • A Respawn system with a little twist.
  • An 11 slot Equipment system that allows you to equip 11 items and carry 6 non-equipped items and multiple quest items at the same time.
  • A system that makes every hero unique. All heroes have an extra kind of mana bar that has a different effect/purpose for each class. I call this the "Special Actionbar".
  • A very good camera system.
  • Various boss encounters and events around the entire map.
  • A 256x256 map with great terrain.
  • Multiple game modes. Allowing Player 1 (Red) to select one out of 3 modes.
  • A very unique Selection System
  • A good party system, allowing you to constantly see the hp of your allies.
  • The possibility to kill enemy players! haxx!
  • Around 8 classes for each faction. (24 classes in total)

3913220027460103da5ddafa389f88acf94dffd.jpg

3913221f2b3597bcf34e731c2af023122aca69e.jpg

3913222d7fae1d6c1b49fa80c5d1590de3bed5f.jpg

39133581523cc82ac9710eff85aa7de571e34a3.jpg

39133591fdceea4895e266f793e30d2d921d5a5.jpg

39133628a924fcd86ab5bd95cb1dbce4373cd54.jpg

3913363dfb5eab806695d20822911199ae7b46e.jpg

3913366eeb65427834c468017ccb7a84f198877.jpg

3913367ca1302c5369474cfde315f015036c1f5.jpg

3913368f3d07af3c23dbd3e305383863de51748.jpg

39133712f23b303beffcdf51bb900a62dcba46b.jpg

391337258d3db20f13e740bc845b08c19f10d95.jpg

391337308c1a0d6db6c406db38c49df476c08f5.jpg

39133743ae48a90a1ed0418e5154cf8a4cd2bcc.jpg

In The Oakwood Forest RPG heroes have Action Points (400 maximum mana which regenerates by 4 mana per second) and a Special Actionbar. For each class that Actionbar has a different purpose and effect. This makes playing your hero more unique because all spells the heroes have are somehow based on the Special Actionbar.
Some examples:
Sages use their Special Action bar for Heath. Whenever they deal or take fire damage they generate Heath and whenever they take frost or water damage, their Heath reduces. Their Heath increases their fire critical strike chance by 4% for every 10% Heath (maximum of 100%) and slowly decreases when not performing any actions. However... When the Sage's Heath bar reaches 100% they get "Overheath". This effect will damage the Sage based on the Heath until she dies or her Heath bar reaches 0%.
32524183079d6f92d903d5f244929aace1c66a9.jpg

This is a picture of the Fire Wave ability. As you can see this increases the Sage's Heath by 25% (5/20 bars). This is a pretty high amount, so you shouldn't spam this ability too much, because it could cost your own life. This ability also costs 45 Action Points (mana) which is pretty high. However this is still a good ability because of the long knockback and pretty high damage.

Rangers use their Special Actionbar for Nature Boons. They can have a maximum of 5 Boons at the time. They have a 20% chance with most of their ranged abilities to generate a Nature Boon. Those Nature Boons have a positive effect on each of their spells, however the effect will be different on every spell. The Nature Shot ability has a 6% higher critical strike chance per Nature Boon while the Wolven Strike ability has a 6% chance to ignore armor per Nature Boon.
3252443394a1a0d9e3f8b3c54dd911b8eb614ce.jpg

This changes the gameplay of your Ranger totally. You can chose to focus on 5 Nature Boons for the great bonusses on abilities, or immediatelly spend them on stronger spells.

The Oakwood Forest has a pretty simple respawn system, however I still wanted to make a little screenshot on how it looks. The units fade in like in WoW, so it looks more realistic then the instant "BLOP" when a unit instantly respawns.
So simple, but good I'd say.
32560494a844c7b4f208f4d58b085c2a0f8363b.jpg

325102373ac2ded443cc31dbda286273f9cdadb.jpg

The Equipment System

32510075c5bec6619556ac562d05bae32ddab7b.jpg

Ranger's are ranged damage dealers. Their abilities are based on physical damage and nature damage as well as poisons. As you can see they have 5 little dot's under them. This indicates the amount of Nature Boon's they have.

32510093d91f92d9024ad5a0ac5347c42a1881b.jpg

Here's the Ranger's Spellbook. This will explain what Nature Boon's do.
3402416a5765bbb712a1be3eca29318fb3f9854.jpg

Sage's are casters that use Fire Magic. They have destructive single target spells, dot's and AoE spells to deal heavy damage at any time. Sage's use Heath to empower their attacks. Their heath increases their critical strike chance with fire spells. The more heath, the more crit. Whenever the Heath reaches 100% the sage will get the Overheath effect. She will burn for a very high amount of fire damage over time and will not be able to make heath anymore for 5 seconds. This gives Sage's a very different game play then other characters.
Do you dare to stack your heath up to a very high value? Or do you prefer to keep it safe with lower heath?

Last edited:
Level 8
Hey that custom "mana" system you got there is pretty neat. I can't wait for you to release some more info on it. :grin:

Level 8
The Oakwood Forest, hmm...
Sounds a little like Everwood, and by the features it looks a lot like Everwood,
In fact it even uses resources used just in Everwood!

Sorry, I had too, the terrain looks good.
Who did the terrain? Also "Hammerer"?! That is defiantly not a class name. xD
Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Don't let my discouragement make you stop working on it,
or even think about it, everyone has the freedom to make there own map,
Yours is turning out better than most, keep up the work!

Level 19
The Oakwood Forest, hmm...
Sounds a little like Everwood, and by the features it looks a lot like Everwood,
In fact it even uses resources used just in Everwood!

Sorry, I had too, the terrain looks good.
Who did the terrain? Also "Hammerer"?! That is defiantly not a class name. xD
Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Don't let my discouragement make you stop working on it,
or even think about it, everyone has the freedom to make there own map,
Yours is turning out better than most, keep up the work!

Just because I'm using the same camera system it doesn't immediatelly mean I am trying to look like Everwood. If you see the terrain, you understand I called this "forest", because it is a forest.

In ALL, I say ALL RPG's you have class names like: Warrior, Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Necromancer etc... I call that not very creative. So I thoud let's give the heroes a little different names like Hammerer per example.

About the resources in Everwood. Well I like the RPG RolePlaynGamer is working on very much, but I am trying to make my RPG not look like his.
I'm not a very good Scripter, I'm even thinking of asking someone else to help me with scripting. Because of that I had a choice of a few camera systems, and the only one I liked was the one from RolePlaynGamer.
The rest of the systems is made by myself. Took WoW screenshots to make the icons for the equipment slots that weren't equipped yet. However yes.. he has an 11 slot equipment system too. Well if I could, I would make a bigger equipment system with aloooot of bagspace that fills your entire screen. But I can't so I have to do it with this, which is good enough for me.

Hope this explained the issues you talked about a bit.:)

Level 19
Pretty neat. You do know that 'Boon' is short for 'Baboon' which is some money, right?

I actually didnt know what boon was when I first saw the word. I played a PvP RPG once (Unleash the Fury) where I saw abilities with Boon in it.
You had elements in there, and each element had positive and negative buffs. The positive nature buffs were called Boon's.
I looked it up in the dictionary and it kinda looks like some sort of a blessing.

Any new screen shots?

Currently working on some of the terrain around the starting area for the good guys. Which I forgot to tell. This RPG has 2 (maybe 3 in future) factions. Good Guys (Dwarf, Human, Elf.. etc) and Bad Guys (Undead, Orc, Troll.. etc).
I'm currently thinking of making the Undead 1 faction on his own, and making the Orc's and trolls seperated from them.
However about the screenshots. I will make a few new screenshots today from what I've made today.

Another thing:

I have been thinking about this project, and I came to the conclussion I could use someone that's more experienced with creating systems and triggered spells then me. I'm good with GUI, and know the basics from Jass, but I can't make the imbalimbaleetzor things I have in my head.

So if there's someone that would like to help me with it, please tell me.

Level 19
Just added 3 more screenshots to the Terrain screenshots, and 1 screenshots at the Features and System information tab.

Level 8
Haven't replied in awhile.
But Hamerer, is not a unique class name, its really bad grammar,
There are also no real other way to give class "unique" names. Because, well they only have one name.

I was being a ass, mainly because there both forest themes, and stuff.
But it looks nice, keep up the work.

Level 19
Haven't replied in awhile.
But Hamerer, is not a unique class name, its really bad grammar,
There are also no real other way to give class "unique" names. Because, well they only have one name.

I was being a ass, mainly because there both forest themes, and stuff.
But it looks nice, keep up the work.

Sorry for the late responding, for some reason I didn't get e-mails from new posts on this topic anymore. But about what you say.
If I'm very very honest, I don't like the hamerer classname too, that's why I might change it. But that's just a small detail.
About the forest thingy. Before this I worked on The Adventurers Story, which was a RPG in a snowy landscape. After that map got corrupted (where I forgot to make backups:p) I wanted to start a new RPG, but something else then what I did before. No snowy landscape so.. that means a forest because I don't like barrens landscapes.:D

Where'd u get the Equipment idea from? Could u tell me where you got it?

I have this on my computer for a year or something already. I saw it on a japaneze or chineze site once, but with very bad icons. So I made some WoW screenshots and changed them a bit. I'm currently remaking the Equipment system because it's leaking a littlebit.

Well, you might wanna rename the Boons then :D

Ofc not! Nobody uses this in their maps. And well.. dictionary said it was some sort of blessing. So it's a positive buff! = good!

Level 3
Very awesome terraining and attention to detail you got there. THe action bar is very unique the way you use it. So many good rpgs being made right now.

Level 19
Very awesome terraining and attention to detail you got there. THe action bar is very unique the way you use it. So many good rpgs being made right now.

Thanks alot. Great to get comments like that:grin:

Currently Ciebron is helping me with the RPG. He will from now on do the scripting so it's a 2man team now! He's currently fixing all the leaks (alot!) I've made in the triggers so far, and when that's done I start terraining again.

Will update this asap with new screenshots, functions and other info on what's going on.

Level 19
Time for a little update I'd say.

Here's what Ciebron and I have been working on these days:

Ciebron:
1. Fixing leaks at spells.
2. Making the Secondairy Action Bars smoother.
3. Fixing the Respawn/Equipment/Battle Damage systems.

Teuncreemers:
1. Terraining the Undead starting area.
2. Creating all classes. (Will be 24 in total)

Currently it's going very fast with the progress.
The map is growing everyday, and it's becomming better and better.

Ciebron is currently working on a Hero Selection System.
Here's a little screenshot of how it looks like now.
3402477e6b90cc41995cf8dbebc90397a0d11ce.jpg

About the classes:
I won't reveal them all yet, but there will be 3 sides you can chose between.
1. Human, Dwarf, High Elf.
2. Undead, Dark Elf.
3. Tauren, Orc, Troll.

Each of the sides will have 8 classes. Each side will have 2 tank and 2 healer classes. Also each class has a different secondairy bar system.
Sage's have Heath, Rangers have Nature Boons and the others have "other things"!

That's the update for now.
I'll get back to working on the map now.

Level 19
Added 3 more terrain screenshots.
Working on the Orc/Troll/Tauren starting area now.

I also had idea's about calling the teams like this:
Human, Dwarf, High Elf: The Gryphon Order
Undead, Dark Elf: The Blightcallers
Orc, Troll, Tauren: The Bloodlust Clan

Level 7
This sounds like a really good rpg :thumbs_up:
the inventory and selection system look so cool
and very good terrain
but how are you gonna make it to a lvl 40 map with 3 different teams!
have you just scalled everything down ?

Level 5
Keep on the good work!
Your terrain is quite fantastic, there isn't so many maps i've seen that has so nice terrain. Your systems look's so awesome and as with the terrain i haven't seen something like it! it's quite unique. And also keep the team names they were cool^^

Here is an idea for you, you know the ranger?
Well i think it has the same old boring model in every rpg, so if ur smart try get someone good at modelling, or model yourself, and then make a unique ranger/archer.

The idea is just my opinion, you decide self if you wanna use the idea^^:
All hail Teuncreemers and his team, hehe

Level 19
Thanks for the positive posts:D

White-Lion said:
how are you gonna make it to a lvl 40 map with 3 different teams!
have you just scalled everything down ?

Its a 256x256 map, so it has alot of space. And I don't think I will have problems with space. And nope I didn't scale things down.

Keep on the good work!
Your terrain is quite fantastic, there isn't so many maps i've seen that has so nice terrain. Your systems look's so awesome and as with the terrain i haven't seen something like it! it's quite unique. And also keep the team names they were cool^^

Here is an idea for you, you know the ranger?
Well i think it has the same old boring model in every rpg, so if ur smart try get someone good at modelling, or model yourself, and then make a unique ranger/archer.

The idea is just my opinion, you decide self if you wanna use the idea^^:
All hail Teuncreemers and his team, hehe

Thanks for the compliments, and about the Ranger. I won't change his model, because I use alot of map space for other models already, and I can't afford more custom models atm. And Sylvanas is a nice model, nothing wrong with it. Guess that's why everyone uses it. But there are 24 classes, while ~8 of them use custom models/skins.

Level 19
Well in that case^^, and it's not something wrong with the model, it's just used in all rpg. but still its just my opinion

Yeah I know what you mean hehe, and it's true.
However I have to make choices because of the mapsize limits and loading time. I don't want people to load this game in ~5min! It has to load in 10-20 seconds!:D

Level 8
I think you should add some fog to your terrain and they will become pretty good. Not that they aren't right now, but why not make them better :p

Level 8
That swap could use a little bit more green water. ( But not too green, I hate too green water )

If you need blue water in someone else, you can allways play with GetLocalPlayer and make players see different water colors depending on where their hero is or something like that.

Oh yeah, and fog too. Swamp deffinetly needs a thick and green, but not too green, fog.

And that turtle looks cute, btw.

Level 19
Yes you both are right. However never really worked with fogs before.
I have fog in my map, however I don't know how to make fog thicker or add different colors to it on different locations. I go experiment a bit with it, and I think it will be alright.
It's just that I never spent much time on fogs before.
I go do that now.

EDIT:
That swap could use a little bit more green water. ( But not too green, I hate too green water )

If you need blue water in someone else, you can allways play with GetLocalPlayer and make players see different water colors depending on where their hero is or something like that.

Oh yeah, and fog too. Swamp deffinetly needs a thick and green, but not too green, fog.

And that turtle looks cute, btw.

Yep water colors is also a good idea. However again I haven't got much experience with that.

For the water colors and fog I will ask Ciebron for help. I think he knows how to handle it. He's much better with Jass then I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
I suggest you to use 0.0 z start for all fogs and z end somewhere between 6000-12000 or whatever you like. And use dirty colours. Allways mix at least a little bit of all colours, never just use bright blue or red or green.

( Well, bright blue might create a pretty magical athmosphere in some cases, if that is what you are looking for )

Level 19
I suggest you to use 0.0 z start for all fogs and z end somewhere between 6000-12000 or whatever you like. And use dirty colours. Allways mix at least a little bit of all colours, never just use bright blue or red or green.

( Well, bright blue might create a pretty magical athmosphere in some cases, if that is what you are looking for )

I changed some things.

What do you guys think of it now?
I could make the water get a very dark colour like 25/75/25 or something, but I prefered to make it look a littlebit brighter then you would expect, because it's still water, and not a poisoned lake or something. It has to look natural. Clicked my WE away already, but I think I have 55/145/55 for the water now, and 75/175/75 for the fog, but I'm not sure about that.

3433791347df887bbfb11d7a8e6526266840570.jpg

It's kinda funny you only see the turtle in the screenshot. This is a pretty crowded area in the map with alot of murlocs in it, but they are all hiding under the tree's. I think if you would hide all doodads you would see around 6-10 murlocs on the screenshot.:D

Level 10
Nice idea for a game. I like the swamp (then again, ruins are more of my thing >.<)
I like the way the sawmp is now, the other looked like it belonged somwhere in a river or maybe a lake. Keep the map up and going.

Level 7
How far have you got with the project i know there is a place where the update is but thats only terrain and scripting, so how is the project going?

Level 19
How far have you got with the project i know there is a place where the update is but thats only terrain and scripting, so how is the project going?

For now I can tell you it is far from done. I still have to do alot of terraining, and Ciebron still has to do alot of triggers.
In the past ~4 days I didn't do much new things yet because of school. But a holiday is incomming and ofc a weekend, so be prepared for some new updates soon.

Currently I'm working on one of the undead classes. The Zealot. This class will be a healer/damage dealer. His healing spells have bonus effects on undead targets, and his damage spells bonus effects on living targets.
Won't tell more yet.

Level 19
Are you making more events?

Ofc. Planning to make ~5 events per 10 levels. So around 20 events in total. Currently also working on a level 30 event in the swamp. An event with 3 stages. For stage 3 you will have to kill a big turtle and his master, a small murloc. The murloc will be a fast attacking unit with much traps, snares and poisons while the turtle will be a high armored slow unit that has to be kited. The turtle will get some stun, resistance and water AoE attacks, but none of them are made yet.

Level 7
Are you making more events?

It would kinda suck with only one event, a lvl 7 ranger boss wich i only guess one of the faction is able to kill in the level (req).

I know Teuncreemers said there would be more and it also sounds very nice.
I just have 1 question, what do you mean with event, will the boss always stay at the same place or will there be a % chance to find her/him or something?

Level 19
It would kinda suck with only one event, a lvl 7 ranger boss wich i only guess one of the faction is able to kill in the level (req).

I know Teuncreemers said there would be more and it also sounds very nice.
I just have 1 question, what do you mean with event, will the boss always stay at the same place or will there be a % chance to find her/him or something?

With event I mean something that's going on. It's not that there will be a boss 'waiting' for adventurers to kill him. No this boss isn't on the map, until something happens. That's why events will have 3 stages. Stage one is usually something like; "kill 50 units". Whenever someone kills the unit that's needed for the event in the area, it will count so you don't have to kill 50 units on your own.
Example:
Let's say you've killed 50 gnolls. After that waves of gnolls will come for 5 minutes (stage 2) and you have to survive that in order to come to stage 3. After that stage 3 begins and a boss appears, and the battle begins.

So actually bossfights are only a part of an event.

Level 19
well the example you used sounds pretty hard, but i dont think you are gonna add a evenet like that :grin:

I will, else I wouldn't post it here hehe. Well it won't be exactly with gnolls, but this was just an example.
I'm currently thinking of some things that could happen with Sistra the Forestwatcher ( from the screenshot ). I might add something like this:
Stage 1: Kill 40 wood elves.
Stage 2: Prevent the wood elves to use the Horn of the Woods. (After 3min you fail anyway)
Stage 3: Kill Sistra the Forestwatcher. (She came after hearing the Horn of the Woods)

Not sure if I add this, but this was the idea I had today.

Level 7
You have such good ideas for this rpg i cant say how much im looking forawrd for it :thumbs_up:

Still if the group cant stop the woodelf from using the horn they fail? and then there will be no chance to kill the boss or do they just have to wait some time before it "reset". And will it event be possible to kill 40 creeps first then some other and last 1 boss only as 3-4 man or isnt the teams locked ?

Level 19
Still if the group cant stop the woodelf from using the horn they fail? and then there will be no chance to kill the boss or do they just have to wait some time before it "reset". And will it event be possible to kill 40 creeps first then some other and last 1 boss only as 3-4 man or isnt the teams locked ?

If the wood elves are able to blow the horn Sistra the Forest Watcher will spawn with alot of help, so you technically wipe and fail anyway.
The events will reset ofc, dunno how long you have to wait between resets. Maybe ~10 or 15 minutes.

Every event will be based on the amount of players the host selected. If the host wants to play 3 vs 3 vs 3, then the bosses are made for 3 players. If the host selected PvE mode (9 vs nothing...) then the bosses are made for 9 players and are 3 times as hard.

I wanted to make the bosses hard, so the bosses will be made for the max number of players for a faction. So you CAN 5 man a 9 player boss, but it would be alot harder ofc. And there are always things to make it easier, per example do a 3man boss and ask help from your enemy players that are playing an other faction. I wouldn't mind that to happen.

EDIT:
New Screenshot:

3465190cf62d935d12f510c4d482878ca04f754.jpg

It's a screenshot of the Wood Elf area I'm working on. This area will have wood elves, dryads and ents around the levels 7 - 12. The Sistra the Forestwatcher event will also be here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
Needs bigger pic. Cant really see much in this one.
And a Rune Warrior :D

Lol bigger pic. Guess you understand why I'm using hide buttons now;-)
And yeah it's a Rune Warrior. I didn't reveal that class yet and now I did and I tell you it wasn't by purpose lol.. I just like testing the gameplay with a class that has healing abilities, and the Rune Warrior is one of those.

Level 7
in fact you did showed us the rune warrior before :D
but where..? in the event screen shot :p
still you didnt give us any informations about him there, and i dont think you will now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.