• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The Next Mini-Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
I thought that maybe now, as we're waiting for M0rbid to get done with his judgings, might be a good time to roll out a new mini-contest.

Oh, and, I've spoken to M0rbid, he's halfway through his judgings and will finish them when he's had his final exam sometime around the 13th of February, so stay patient.

Anyway, I rather really liked Gilles suggestion over at the TC16 discussion thread about serving out a couple good looking concept art images or something and then have contestants pick their choice and either make an alteration of those, or copy them to their best abilities. Any thoughts?

Also, since we're likely going for this anyway, I'd also love it if you guys could help me look up some good images to use for the contest.

Level 28
Well, if it's been done before, we can change the thing we're "serving out". I thought of picking around 15 game titles and linking them on the thread. Then each contestant should pick one game title and try to imitate the general architecture and terrain design of it, within Warcraft III. If it happens, I don't think we should encourage exact copying one place from the picked game universe to the WE (like exactly copying a city from WoW (I don't think WoW should be available for picking either)).

It would be better if there were only known games, like God of War, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc, so everyone (lurkers, contestants, judges) would enjoy looking at other's entries. I don't think people would bother looking at your entry and learning how the game you picked looks like if only you knows the game.

That's only a suggestion anyway.

Level 36
I like that one, Naze.

Also, while yeah, it somewhat relates, didn't people chose their own concept art to go by in that contest? Meaning they could chose what most fit their style and have an easy going like that. In this one I'd like to have something like four or five different images that WE chose, and then the contestants have to go by them.

Albeit, it's somewhat the same, but fuck it, we've had like... 5 "The Picture" contests :p

Level 28
If we limit the number of pictures for them to chose (like 5 pictures or less) it would be more interesting. But thinking this way, the pictures would serve only as general inspiration for the terrain, otherwise we would see people submitting several attempts to copying the picture with the terrain.

So a contest with 5 pictures (or less), for people to freely interpret them in terrains? If everyone agrees, we have a deal.

2-P

2-P

Level 8
I recall someone suggesting to make a terrain based of a picture and then add an (important) element to it. I really like this idea. And I think that way you'll also get terrains that are similar but not too similar.

2-P

2-P

Level 8
Hm. Like Naze suggested you let the contestants choose between a few pictures. Let's say one of them shows a lake. So you recreate that picture and then add a castle in the middle of the lake, or a hydro plant or a sunset or giant murlocs beating the hell out of each other. Just something that makes sense and is not irrelevant. Just adding a frog would be kinda lame if you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.