• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The new WoW Expansion announced at BlizzCon 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
4th WoW expansion announced for 2012 -_-

Yes people, this is not a joke. WoW WILL have an another expansion pack, which Blizzard set to 2012. Read more here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-MMORPG-greg-street-lich-king,11751.html
What's your reaction? I am actually pissed off. MAKE WARCRAFT 4, PEOPLE! Are you not satisfied with a bajillion dollars a month?! People like what they play right now, you don't have to feed them the same thing over and over again... The graphics of WoW are severely dated, which will surely subsctract from its score. Why don't they just focus on releasing the patches and updates, so they have the time to make new games? "The Shattering" patch had more content than the very Cataclysm expansion itself, so it can be done. Blizzard, WoW is a great game and it will surely live for a long long time, but let it move on by itself instead of you having to push it forward.

Level 13
Boohoohoo, WoW makes Blizzard money, therefor they need to keep it alive. Incidentally expansions keep MMORPGs alive.

Level 11
Why would they make warcraft 4? We all know that WE want it, but they will do what is best for the company and MAKE MONEY. As much as we like warcraft III a LOT MORE PEOPLE enjoy WoW.

Warcraft III can push itself forward with it's editor, an RPG has to have new content constantly or it's endgame players will get bored.

Level 23
I remember the good old days when Blizzard was about making good games and staying on one wave with the fans, not the money-hungry company that will steal any idea or do anything cliche and dumb so that they can get more money.

Level 13
Wouldn't be better for them to make new MMO with update graphics, new story, gamepley etc...

As far as returning to Warcraft rts series as much as we all what it what are chances of that?

They are making a new MMO.

Level 11
I remember the good old days when Blizzard was about making good games and staying on one wave with the fans, not the money-hungry company that will steal any idea or do anything cliche and dumb so that they can get more money.
Welcome to buisness! You make a buisness to MAKE MONEY. A LOT of people like their games, they can't please everyone. The playerbase of WoW is a lot bigger then Warcraft III

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Why the hell would we want a WC4? Blizzard could make one in 2 years top but it would basically be a port of SC2 with WC models.

Incase you have not realised, blizzard has just given us SC2, and there are 2 more expanions in 2011 and 2012 respectivly. On top of that we can expect some WC models (part of their AoS project) and blizzard may even provide SC2 with more resources from other games.

If blizzard were to release a mod with all the WoW models ready for SC2 use, I am sure you will not complain half as much. They have already hinted that porting music from non SC2 blizzard games into SC2 is allowed (they said so in the map contest) so I imagine that some WoW models may eventually go the same way.

The only problem with SC2 currently is it is new. So new that there are limited art tools and parts of it are broken or unfinished.

Level 21
Not everyone likes starcraft same as warcraft. So starcraft 2 will get fantasy models and then what? It will still be sci-fi game first and until some people actually decide to make maps, mods that give new gameplay and actual race teach-trees it won't be replacement for wc4. Plus campaigns would be a nice touch. So basically yea I still would prefer Wc4 over Sc mod, expansion.

And about Sc2 mod with wow models people will find new reason to complain. Lets be fair people will always complain even if blizz did what people wanted from them.

Level 8
WarCraft IV is not likely to see the light of day for a very long time. What I'm betting Blizzard's ultimate plan is:
1. Create WarCraft, StarCraft and Diablo franchises and gain large fanbase.
2. Continue WarCraft and Diablo and leave StarCraft for a few years to build up sequel hype.
3. Wait a while until Diablo 3.
4. Release World of WarCraft and several expansions to make the fanbase bigger.
5. Now that WoW is the #1 online MMORPG, resume StarCraft and Diablo franchises.
6. Release expansions for game franchises.
7. Now that Blizzard's combined fanbase from all three franchises is the largest in the world, announce WarCraft IV!
8. Continue development on WarCraft IV for two years, perfecting every detail while hyping it up on all Battle.net game community sites.
9. Release WarCraft IV and become the richest gaming company in the world!

Level 15
That is ok, but it would be great if they start to work on Warcraft IV.
WOW`s graphics are old and not to today`s standards, I mean they should release WOW 2 with ability to play with old account and character along with all items, spells, skills, quests, etc.

Level 15
Originally posted by TheKurt009
guys, they're making us wait! hmmm, what about warcraftIV with human like textures in the future huh!!!
but, then again, it can be just WarcraftV...
damn! we want WarcraftIV!!!
WOW is a Warcraft literally. I mean the storyline continues, but they are heaving an army of unsatisfied fans. WE WANT WARCRAFT IV!!!

Level 1
WarCraft IV is not likely to see the light of day for a very long time. What I'm betting Blizzard's ultimate plan is:
1. Create WarCraft, StarCraft and Diablo franchises and gain large fanbase.
2. Continue WarCraft and Diablo and leave StarCraft for a few years to build up sequel hype.
3. Wait a while until Diablo 3.
4. Release World of WarCraft and several expansions to make the fanbase bigger.
5. Now that WoW is the #1 online MMORPG, resume StarCraft and Diablo franchises.
6. Release expansions for game franchises.
7. Now that Blizzard's combined fanbase from all three franchises is the largest in the world, announce WarCraft IV!
8. Continue development on WarCraft IV for two years, perfecting every detail while hyping it up on all Battle.net game community sites.
9. Release WarCraft IV and become the richest gaming company in the world!

That is a good plan but still it could go past 9.

That is ok, but it would be great if they start to work on Warcraft IV.
WOW`s graphics are old and not to today`s standards, I mean they should release WOW 2 with ability to play with old account and character along with all items, spells, skills, quests, etc.

I agree but bring back some of the old enemys and stuff and items spells and skills are stronger (not hp wise)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 26
When everything in WoW is dead(at around expansion 12) they will create a bad bad wizard who makes a time travel, creates an organisation with all of the other bad guys(Illidan and Arthas will fight together against you now) and people(now on level 250) will have to free the world once again from them.

That's how WoW works.

Level 2
WoW is going downside anyway. Their best devs are working on the 'Titan' project, aka WoW 2. Everything they'll release till WoW 2 comes out will prolly be as rubbish as everything is right now. It will never be the same again.

Level 19

sorry to interrupt you but

Blizzard = company

Company = wants to make as much money as possible

if they could've it in the good old days they would've.

Level 27
Indeed, I see nothing evilishly capitalistic in Blizz's action's, except for those that are done by Activision and that Kotick or whatever his last name is.

And hey, all popular MMOs keep releasing expansions all the time. That's completely natural and I'm not surprised.
Oh, and did they announced what about will be this expansion?

Level 16
Some guys here mentioned that WoW makes Blizzard money..
Are you guys forgetting how much money did WARCRAFT 3 make to Blizz?! It was double the money from the original WoW.. although, at the moment, im pretty sure, WoW has expanded Blizzards earning like 10 times more..
BUT, my point is, if they make Warcraft 4, the same way as Starcraft 2, do you really doubt that warcraft 4 will be a failure?
I bet it will be twice as much succesfull as Starcraft 2, maybe thats even the reason they are not planning on making Warcraft 4 yet, this way blizzard keeps constant costumers.

From my logic, a warcraft 4 will come by 2013-1014, of course after all Starcraft 2 expansions are released.

Level 14
Some guys here mentioned that WoW makes Blizzard money..
Are you guys forgetting how much money did WARCRAFT 3 make to Blizz?! It was double the money from the original WoW.. although, at the moment, im pretty sure, WoW has expanded Blizzards earning like 10 times more..
BUT, my point is, if they make Warcraft 4, the same way as Starcraft 2, do you really doubt that warcraft 4 will be a failure?
I bet it will be twice as much succesfull as Starcraft 2, maybe thats even the reason they are not planning on making Warcraft 4 yet, this way blizzard keeps constant costumers.

From my logic, a warcraft 4 will come by 2013-1014, of course after all Starcraft 2 expansions are released.

Sorry for Off-topic.

Let's say that WoW always had an average of 5mil subscribers each month since it's realease for 6 years time. That's 15*5,000,000 = 75 mil $.. each month. Now let's multiply 72 mil $ by 12 (months...) and we get 900 mil $ in one year... multiplied by 6 that means 5,400,000,000 $ in 6 years. I am pretty sure Wc3 has not sold anywhere close. And that's just from subscriptions alone (let's not forget about actually buying the basic game & expansions) , on an average playerbase of 5 mil... which i really think it's low since for at least 4 years they had over 10mil subscribers constantly. Oh and let's not forget about the virtual goods like pets and mounts, and char transfers, renaming, etc etc.

It would be very folly and stupid, for Blizzard to release wc3 in 2013-2014.... in 2012 the last expansion of sc2 is out, considering that it will be released on time. And I honestly believe, that Blizzard will want to see how sc2 blooms, and how modders will be able to make cool maps and basicly just see the results of their 'child'. Wc4 if it will be a strategy-game, no matter how you put it, it's in the same genre with Sc2. Blizzard will not need to take players away from Sc2 with only after 2 years since the last expansion of Sc2 has been released. I think people shouldn't look at the difference of 12 years between the releases of sc:bw & sc2, but rather from wc3 & sc2... as such I think that there will be at least 8-10 years after the release of LOV untill the next RTS game (which might be Wc4) will be developed/released by Blizz.

Level 27
Why the hell would we want a WC4? Blizzard could make one in 2 years top but it would basically be a port of SC2 with WC models.

Incase you have not realised, blizzard has just given us SC2, and there are 2 more expanions in 2011 and 2012 respectivly. On top of that we can expect some WC models (part of their AoS project) and blizzard may even provide SC2 with more resources from other games.

If blizzard were to release a mod with all the WoW models ready for SC2 use, I am sure you will not complain half as much. They have already hinted that porting music from non SC2 blizzard games into SC2 is allowed (they said so in the map contest) so I imagine that some WoW models may eventually go the same way.

The only problem with SC2 currently is it is new. So new that there are limited art tools and parts of it are broken or unfinished.

This is actually what i meant with my Starcraft 2 is Warcraft 4 thread.

Level 24
Sc2 may indeed be the game us Warcraft RTS fans have waited for so long. When many of you say that you want Wc4, you actually want the next generation World Editor, and the Galaxy Editor is just that. The GE lacks only one thing: Medieval models en masse, and that can be solved, can't it?

Level 27
Sc2 may indeed be the game us Warcraft RTS fans have waited for so long. When many of you say that you want Wc4, you actually want the next generation World Editor, and the Galaxy Editor is just that. The GE lacks only one thing: Medieval models en masse, and that can be solved, can't it?

Yes, just like we had the futuristic, modern and such model lack fixed by creating a whole bunch of custom models, enough to compeltely replace all the models in Warcraft 3.

Level 17
Well, it's clearly connected to Warcraft lore, seeing as its about Pandaria.

And with the Pandarens becoming actual canon instead of a joke race , its possible they want to explore them further and give them a bit of background. I can easily imagine them being a playable race and heck, if they made the goblins playable I don't see why Pandarens would be out of the question.

Exploring feudal China-esque Pandaria would be really neat, too. I'd guess they'd remain neutral, since that's their nature.

Level 11
guys i really dont know is this right but one month ago i readed that Blizzard office for strategy games allready started making WC4 and its planing to release in 2013-2014 i dont have link to show you the news or to tell you that they are right but it was interview with someone who works in Blizzard so lets hope its right and that they wont Cancell it.

EDIT: They told that they will start making the game after Starcraft 2:Heart of Swarm or how was it called.

Level 27
guys i really dont know is this right but one month ago i readed that Blizzard office for strategy games allready started making WC4 and its planing to release in 2013-2014 i dont have link to show you the news or to tell you that they are right but it was interview with someone who works in Blizzard so lets hope its right and that they wont Cancell it.

EDIT: They told that they will start making the game after Starcraft 2:Heart of Swarm or how was it called.

Doubt it, but may be possible... but seriously they should release their 4th WoW expansion and both SC2 expansions before starting to make Warcraft IV...

Level 11
i dont know i readed that programmers said they are really busy making Starcraft 2 so they cant make Warcraft IV.

EDIT: Why we need to beg blizzard??? lets make WC4 we and if they see it like something trailer they will ask us bla bla bla and we will tell them that we wanted the game and we really want it and we are telling them to make WC4 but no news about it so we decided to make it...OR maybe we will give them reason why they should make WC4 :)

Level 27
i dont know i readed that programmers said they are really busy making Starcraft 2 so they cant make Warcraft IV.

EDIT: Why we need to beg blizzard??? lets make WC4 we and if they see it like something trailer they will ask us bla bla bla and we will tell them that we wanted the game and we really want it and we are telling them to make WC4 but no news about it so we decided to make it...OR maybe we will give them reason why they should make WC4 :)

Yea, you're so damn right, I mean a bunch of unexperienced uncordinated and unmotivated modders would make like a five times better game than some worldwide known company that makes super great games for like fifty years straight.

Level 27
but with making that game we will earn more knowledge for making others or we can make something like trailer to encourage blizzard to make WC4.

I have no idea how your logic works but there's something not right with it.
If Blizzard would see anyone making standalone game called Warcraft 4, even without seeking any profit, it would just unleash all the lawyers, forcing you to either stop or... stop.

Level 14
Yeah I just looked at that and Lol'ed because im actually pretty sure that thats what Blizzard is going to do.

Considering the location, do you all think we'll finally get naga? Or is it going to be another silly race like 'em pandas.

~Asomath

Status
Not open for further replies.