• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] The Necromancer 2 Test Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Some of you might remember my map The Necromancer from way back. I've been working on a sequel for quite some time, and I'm really excited to share the pre-alpha with you. It's a simple test build that lets you and as many as three other players stomp around an arena filled with enemies.

What I desperately need at this stage in development is feedback. If you have an idea for a feature or a mechanic that should be in the game, tell me! If you notice a bug or a glitch, no matter how minor, tell me right away! I want to make the best map possible, and I can only do that with your help!

[FEATURES]
- Every player character has their own hero with unique abilities and minion types. You can summon up to 10 minions from the dead bodies of your enemies.
- 4 player co-op! Play alone or with friends and decimate your enemies! [NOTE: at this stage, all players can control all player units, so don't play with people who are dicks. In the final version, this will not be the case.]
- Upgradable minions! You can upgrade your minion's health and armor as well as unlock a special a unique special ability.
- All players share upgrades! Be the MVP of your team and supe up the whole gang's minions! This feature turned out to be impractical. Instead, every player now has their own upgrade Nexus.
- Endless enemies! After you've cleared the map of foes, player 1 may type in the code "-respawn" to create even more enemies for you to fight! Theoretically, you could play this map forever and ever!
- Gold coins drop cash for every player. Money made from kills or selling items will only affect one player.

[STUFF I WANT TO IMPLEMENT IN THE FINAL VERSION]
- Dynamic Difficulty. The game should get easier or harder depending on how many players are logged in. If a player quits prematurely, the players should get some kind of compensation, including control of their abandoned units.
- Players should possibly be able to choose which hero they play ala Dota. Alternatively, heroes could be locked to certain players but have full dynamic dialogue and interactions.
- Bosses. Much like my Scarlet Crusade map, the players would fight off tons of different bosses and eventually when all were dead a final, ultimate boss that, when defeated, ends the map or simply just gives the map a technial win condition.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HELPING WITH TRIGGERING, TERRAIN OR OTHER ASPECTS OF THE MAP, FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME.

[LINK]
Pre-Alpha V3.0 (Final) July 21st 2018
Previous Versions
Pre-Alpha V2.0 June 19th 2018
Pre-Alpha v1.0 June 15th 2018

The newest version is the final update of the test build (not counting hotfixes) and it includes more enemies! It also gives a little peak to who the main enemies in the final map will be. Demons, corrupt guards and mad cultists stand in your way, more than ever and stronger than ever before! You may need to use teamwork to take 'em down!

Also, heroes now have better icons and so do your abilities.

Last edited:
Level 18
Screencaps included below:

NC2 Test Build Full Map.png NC2 Test Build Screencap.png

Level 13
You know what would be awesome?
A PvP mode where the necromancers summon massive hordes of undead from limitless corpse generating structures/summoned units to fight each other in a war of attrition and tactical placement.

Level 18
You know what would be awesome?
A PvP mode where the necromancers summon massive hordes of undead from limitless corpse generating structures/summoned units to fight each other in a war of attrition and tactical placement.

That would be extremely exciting. I'll see if I can work it into this upcoming map. If it doesn't fit here, I might just have to create an entire map based around that concept.

Level 13
I've always been interested in the idea of a bunch of Necromancers raising the dead and committing mass genocide on the entirety of the Human race. Will this be playable in 1.29? Ever since I started playing it, the regular stretched screen of 1.27 became poison to my eyes. I like the concept and the abilities though, but you should work on polishing the tooltips and the icons of the spells. It's jarring for me to have an autocast ability with the icon of a normal ability.

Level 18
I've always been interested in the idea of a bunch of Necromancers raising the dead and committing mass genocide on the entirety of the Human race. Will this be playable in 1.29? Ever since I started playing it, the regular stretched screen of 1.27 became poison to my eyes. I like the concept and the abilities though, but you should work on polishing the tooltips and the icons of the spells. It's jarring for me to have an autocast ability with the icon of a normal ability.

I'll work on getting the icons looking better. Most of the icons in the current version are placeholders. In the final version, all the heroes and all the new abilities will have their own unique icons, and the autocast abilities will have AC icons.

The custom tooltips were made by design to be simple and easy to edit, but if its too jarring I'll have it fixed by the time the final version drops.

I can't download 1.29 because I lost my CD keys years ago. I don't know if I even could make my map compatible with the newest patch -- although I guess there are ways to do it. I don't like the idea of blocking out everyone who doesn't have the newest patch, though.

Thanks for the feedback! Seriously, it's highly appreciated. Even the smallest nitpicks are useful info for me.

Level 5
I played the necromancer.
and I the end I simply zerg swarmed with hundreds of ghouls.
I do not know if the players were supposed to do that.
I will try this new version.
I tested and the lack of ability to swarm the world as well as the low variety of undead per hero is quite sad: it does have nothing in common with the previous map.
So if someone liked the first map that person would not necessarily like the second one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.