• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Lost Vikings Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I had an idea to make a warcraft 3 map based on the platformer the three vikings. In it, the player controls three characters:

The first can use his helmet to ram things and his boots to jump
The second can use his shield to protect people or create a platform
The third can use his sword and bow to kill enemies or hit switches

Each viking has 3 Health Points. Enemies can either kill instantly or take away a health point. Health points can be regained by eating. Other items, like bombs, can also be used. The idea is to get to the end of each level.

I was thinking that a puzzle game like this would be good on warcraft III (of course the levels and charaters would chage)

If I was to do this (after my TD) I would need characters and a plot. Here is a set of characters I had in mind (open to suggestion)

Warden with grapple. She can also swim.
The Warden is a vital part of the team. She is going to be doing the most traveling. Her grapple allows her to get to places others can't, and, unlike the druid and giant, she can swim.

Druid with long ranged attack. He can turn invisible too.
The Druid is your main man for defeating enemies. The Druids projectile can reach far away switches, though it must be noted that the druids shots are slow and aren't homing projectiles. The druid can also turn invisible, allowing him to pass hostile sentry beacons.

Mountain Giant with rocky shield (absorbs damage)
The Mountain Giant, at first glance, seems to be a pointless addition to the team. However, his rocky shield (which has taunt) takes aggro away from the weak team and allows your druid to attack the enemies safely. The Giant also starts with 5 health instead of 3, so getting ambushed wouldn't be a problem to the giant.

ITEMS
Bombchu - A tiny robot that has the kaboom! ability. Destroys hard substances.
True crystal - Allows the holder to see invisible units.
Health potion - Restores a health point.
Orbs of the wild - Collect all 10 to unlock something.

I have a vague story about the night elves being captured by the undead, and the warden rescues the druid and the giant and they go to defeat the lich who enslaved them.

A typical level might include:
Warden grapples up to high ground, hits switch that opens gate on low ground. Druid and giant progress through gate. Hostile spiders in path. Rock shield taunts them. Druid hits second switch to allow warden to progress. Warden swims across river, avoiding dangerous fish, re-united with druid and giant.

There will also be bosses that require more than attacks to defeat. One, for instance, might require the warden to grapple a bombchu from a ledge, or another will let loose minions for the giant to handle, or another will turn invincible if any visible (wink-wink) enemy approaches it.

I would like to hear what your thoughts of a puzzle map like this are, or any suggestions of items, a different set of characters or levels.

-Jsprat100

EDIT:

Ive another idea for characters

Tauren Spiritualist with Ethereal form and Totem of Recall
The tauren spiritualist is a slow character with no attack. It can, however, turn ethereal, allowing it to pass through non-enchanted walls or gates. It also has the totem of recall, a ward that allows the spiritualist and his allies to return to it at any time.

Tauren Warrior with Taunt and Endure
The tauren warrior is a vital part of the team. With taunt, it can taunt enemies to attack it, and with endure it will become invulnerable to damage. Utilizing the tauren warrior is the key to survival.

Tauren Chieftain with Shockwave and Reincarnate
The tauren chieftain is your combat hero. He has shockwave, which allows him to kill enemies or hit far away switches. He also has reincarnate, which allows him to ressurect his allies.

Admitadly not as good as the night elf team.

Last edited:
Level 3
man this could be awesome.

some character ideas:

Druid of the claw : he has strenght, but different of regular war3, he can't fight with his hands empty, and a lich's spell don't let him morph. So he can't attack, but his tremendous strength allows him to move objects and unstuck doors and anything like this. Also he can throw rocks at enemies, if he find some.

Fairie dragon: obviously, can flight, but has only 2 health points. Also can use an hypnotic gaze ( mana flare animation) that disables the enemies that come in range.

Wisp: also weak, but can blink, and possess for a certain period of time an enemy, after that the wisp is automatically "ejected" and the enemy dies.

Archer: can shoot arrows, to kill enemies and activate switches, but can also use shadow meld to avoid enemies.

This isn't a team, are just ideas of character.

Level 12
Maybe creep team like:

Murloc Tidehunter: He has 2 life point butt can swim and can also use Throw net ability to move by or escape from
Enemy units also can throw stones to activate switches.

Wield Wolf: He can use jump ability to reach high places where others cant go also have Hide (Shadowmeld) ability and backstab

Bear: He has 4 Life points and Stomp ability witch he use to damage Enemy Units or to save his skin also he has Hard Hide Ability (Have 20 % chance to resist any damage done on him)(Evasion)

Level 8
This definitely sounds like a good idea for a map, quite a bit different then most games you see on Battle.net.

Now to the character suggestions! :D -

Human Soldier - Can attack enemies and also has a shield which can make him invincible for a short period of time.

Dwarf Hunter - Can turn invisible with the help of camouflage and can call his trusty hawk to hit far away switches.

Elf Mage - Can walk on water with the help of magic, can also use Blink to reach places others can't. Has only 2 health points.

Level 8
All three are brilliant.
+REP

Also, you say battlenet. I was origionally intending for it to be a single player campaign based on the three characters, but I could make 1 big map where each player controls one character - that might actually be better.

I think that character ideas are running low, so any item or story or other ideas?

Last edited:
Level 23
Interesting. How about gnolls? Faceless ones wont fit.
Gnoll Ranger - has little health so he uses his crossbow to stun the enemies to get through them. Also can kill them with a special crossbow ability
Gnoll Mauler - Has an ability that makes him run with a great speed, damaging all enemies he runs through(he doesnt control it he just runs where he clicked to run)
Gnoll shaman - Uses his ability to summon unit that distracts the enemy to get through. If the enemy starts attacking the caster, he can explode the distraction unit damaging the enemy

Level 8
I see your points, but if I was to have a player one finds player two finds player three type map there would be problems with the players themselves. If player 1 was uncooperative, the other players would be stuffed.

Then again, the other players could do something else, such as maintain something (like power a generator, but more medival) or do a minigame.

So many ideas to consider...

Level 10
if you're doing a huge map with three players you should make it so that every player needs to get together at a specific point so the can solve the rest of the puzzles. For an example: Player X does puzzles etc. that only player X can do untill he gets to a room where there are three switches. The player X needs to wait for the other 2 players if they aren't there yet. When they are all there the switches are pressed at the same time a huge door opens and the team work can begin :3

Level 4
If you wish to make a platformer, check out this map it's very innovative in making the 2d effect and fun to play, the problem though being if you don't have a good internet and it ruins this with lag. If you're too lazy to check the map out, the idea of it was to make have the camera angle be from up to straight down, so the terrain is highlighted properly and then using a arrow key system to make the jumping, however you should test it before you judge the idea, it's hard to explain :D

Status
Not open for further replies.