• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need ideas for an enhanced Night Elf techtree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
I've been asked to work on Legend of Maiev, a remake of Frozen Throne's Night Elf campaign.

There were some changes already made to the techtree, but I feel it could use more to make the campaign of better quality (as with, for example, the Scourge of Lordaeron Enhanced and Curse of the Forsaken campaigns).

The main (non-cosmetic) changes are the following:

Archer:
* Elven Arrows (Searing Arrows) (does not need research)

Druid of the Claw:
* Bear Form->Panther Form (from the data, this might have been an error)

Hippogryph Rider:
* Elven Arrows (Searing Arrows) (does not need research)

New units:

Frost Wolf (not the NH Frost Wolf, a different unit)

Warden:
* Evasion (w/ Adept)
* Critical Strike (w/ Master)

Druid of the Fang:
* Bloodlust
* Wolf Form (w/ Adept) (from the data, might have been meant to be Panther Form instead of the Claw druid)
* Berserk (w/ Master)

Druid of the Fang (Wolf Form):
* Roar

Druid of the Forest:
* Heal (45 HP)
* Treant Form (w/ Adept)
* Entangling Roots (w/ Master)

Druid of the Forest (Treant Form):
* Heal (45 HP)

I would appreciate input on what changes should be made, as well as ideas for new units/new abilities for standard units (just reskinned and renamed GUI spells, though, I trigger as well as a penguin understands quantum mechanics).

-

Some ideas I had for abilities (I'm aiming for one extra ability/upgrade per unit), I would like people's opinion on them (especially for balance issues, this is a single-player campaign but it has some hard bossfights) and suggestions:

Wisp:
* Blessing of the Forest: Increases lumber harvest by 1 with every level researched.

Huntress:
* Ambush: Becomes invisible and greatly reduces movement speed, but deals extra damage on the next attack.
or
* Panther War Training: Increases the Huntress' armor and causes melee enemies to take damage when attacking.

Glaive Thrower:
* Emergency Repair: Consumes a tree to instantly heal 100 HP.

Dryad:
* Fluffy Forest Friends: Summons random forest creatures to the Dryad's aid. (Dark Portal with low-level forest creeps and critters)

Druid of the Claw: (Bear Form restored)
* ?

Mountain Giant:
* Tirade: Taunt issued 5 times after casting.
or
* Ironwood War Club: War Club lasts for 30 strikes.

Druid of the Talon:
* ?

Hippogryph:
* ?

Faerie Dragon:
* Banish
or
* Ethereal Form/Corporeal Form

Chimera:
* Focus Fire: Slows attack and movespeed, but greatly increases damage dealt while active.
or
* Corrosive Bile (Liquid Fire, requires Corrosive Breath researched)

New units:

Druid of the Fang:
* Rabid (Unholy Frenzy, can be cast on enemies)
* Warding (AoE Spell Shield)
* Panther Form (w/ Master)

Druid of the Fang (Panther Form)
* Panther War Training: Increases the Druid's armor in Panther form.
* ?

Druid of the Forest:
* Barkskin: Increases friendly armor in a wide radius. (spell version of Scroll of Protection)
* Treant Form (w/Adept)
* Entangling Weeds: Briefly interrupts units in a line. (weaker Impale; w/ Master)

Frost Wolf -> Ghost Wolf (model is translucent):
* Evasion
* Bleed
* Blink (w/upgrade)

Warden:
* Shadowmeld
* Ensnare
* Extended Training (Drunken Brawler, w/Adept)
* Frenzy (w/Master)

Last edited:
Level 6
I'll give ya some tips. In my experience, just adding 'flat' abilities like evasion, defense, damage, etc. don't make for a super entertaining experience. And when it comes to melee, even more so.

Just looking at the searing arrows idea, I imagine the goal is to increase their combat effectiveness. Maybe even specifically the damage. What I think would be boring is getting the research just using your units to focus fire everything simply better than before. You also end up making archers the ideal unit to mass because they're simply more effective than the rest.

Honestly, I think nature loving elves having fire arrows is kinda a flavor fail (i know potm has it, she's a princess and privileged so its ok) as well.

Ok, so what to do?

I think it'd be cool to have 'quivers' of special arrows. Much like the huntresses have that single owl, let archers have the ability to utilize special arrows that are good for a few shots.
Arrows that say, are better verse certain armors primarily. Right-click auto cast on them, they have magic damage instead of piercing, and maybe like 2 extra damage.
Arrows that have a chance to pierce armor.

Or even if you have some kind of 'searing' arrows, let them be more interesting. The archers get 1. They can attack the ground. They give you vision of the area where they land and they set the ground on fire, damaging over time.

I hope I've given you some inspiration to be more creative. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.