• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Idealists Challenge 3 - Sci Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Hey, I have a suggestion for the Judging/Scoring.

Since there isn't or there is no one interested to be a judge, why won't all of the participants will judge all the entries? All of will use the criterion and the person/participant who is unable to submit his judgment will be disqualified. Nah, maybe it will get worse.

Level 30
Galacta Ray, the Starlight Piratess

icons_12568_btn.jpg

GalactaRayzz.jpg
Attribute_Button_Dmg.png.jpg
Damage:
42 - 51
Attribute_Button_Armor.png.jpg
Armor:
Attribute_Button_Range.jpg
Attack Range:
Attribute_Button_MS.jpg
Movement Speed:
Attribute_Button_Str.jpg
Strength:
16 + 1.9 per lvl
Attribute_Button_Agi_prim.jpg
Agility (Primary):
21 + 2.85 per lvl
Attribute_Button_Int.jpg
Intelligence:
15 + 1.6 per lvl

Hero Introduction

In the times where cold steel means more than magic, many of the Ancient Gods have crumbled to memories; and so is Elune, the goddess of the Moon, nearly forgotten.
Her old followers inhabited the Moon and forgot to thank for the blessed lands she has given them, forgot to praise her powers that defended them for too many centuries, and so has Elune used what was left of her powers to curse her own people, burning their shadows with the first sight of moonlight. Shadowless Elves, as they are called now, without the main source of their powers, were nearly all slain in various galactic wars.
Nearly all.
Galacta Ray, the piratess of the entire galaxy, and her people of Lelliandra Battleships, seeing that their goddess is dying and so will they with her, still worship Elune, from who she has borrowed what little powers she had to spare to her last followers.
Nowadays, Galacta is blessed with extreme grace even in zero-gravity areas, grace known formerly as the core of the Night Elven strength, and with supreme accuracy known to ranger generals of Ashenvale Forests. Wielding two Starlight Rifles, Galacta is well known for her powerful blasts of plasma energy, static fields of ancient pixel techniques, and supreme knowledge of time matter which allows her to rip through time fabric to re-position herself better for combat.
Metaphorically seeking her own shadow, the last remnants of Elune's followers, Galacta's battleship has landed upon lands used to be called Kalimdor once, threatened by wretched plague warriors just like in ancient times. Standing in front of the World Tree, with smoke coming out of her riffles and dusty remains of bone warriors around her, Galacta smiles. She knows best where the place for Shadowless Elves is.

Abilities

X

Propulsion Ray

Pixelating Statis

Rewind

Galaxy Dial

spell1.jpg
Galacta charges up her rifles to perform a laser blast upon a single enemy, dealing damage to it. If the target is in the Telefrag state, it will also suffer speed penalty for 4 seconds. If the Propulsion Ray is casted upon the Galaxy Dial, it will destroy the dial to reflect 150% of damage (and slow upon Telefrag targets) to enemies in 300 range around it.
[r]
Level:Cooldown:Mana Cost:Effects:
I9 seconds90Deals 90 damage, slows by 15% on Telefrag targets.
II9 seconds105Deals 160 damage, slows by 20% on Telefrag targets.
III9 seconds120Deals 230 damage, slows by 25% on Telefrag targets.
IV9 seconds 135Deals 300 damage, slows by 30% on Telefrag targets.
Notes:
- Damage type: magical.
- If casted upon Galaxy Dial, each affected enemy will suffer 135/240/345/450 damage at the cost of destroying the Dial.
- Slow amount is not increased by 150% upon Galaxy Dial destruction.

spell2.jpg
Envelops the targeted area in a statis field for a short duration, which locks all enemies inside it from using spells. If there is a Galaxy Dial inside the field, it will also slow all enemies in it. Applies Telefrag State upon all enemies in the field. Leaving the field removes the de-buffs and the Telefrag.
[r]
I20 seconds80275 AoE, lasts for 3 seconds, slows by 20%.
II20 seconds95300 AoE, lasts for 4 seconds, slows by 25%.
III20 seconds110325 AoE, lasts for 5 seconds, slows by 30%.
IV20 seconds 125350 AoE, lasts for 6 seconds, slows by 35%.
Notes:
- The field can not be moved in any way, and stays in place for the duration of spell.
- The filed gives vision of units inside of it while it lasts.
- If a Galaxy Dial dies while the field which it is in is still active, slow penalty will be removed.
- Does not silence item usage.
- Telefrag State lasts for up to 3 seconds after an enemy has left the field, ...
- ...silence is removed instantly.

spell3.jpg
Galacta rips the time fabric above a single unit and warps through a time hole, re-positioning herself. She will instantly teleport to a point symmetrically opposite to her current position, with the targeted unit as a point of reference for the line of symmetry. If Rewind is casted upon the Galaxy Dial, Galacta will gain a speed bonus for 5 seconds.
[r]
I20 seconds75500 casting range, 15% speed bonus.
II17 seconds95550 casting range, 18% speed bonus.
III14 seconds115600 casting range, 21% speed bonus.
IV11 seconds 135650 casting range, 24% speed bonus.
Notes:
- A visualised scene due to no possibilities of explaining the ability in a simple way, but also keeping it short, concise, precise and effective:
*Situation 1: An enemy chases Galacta. She runs towards a wall of trees, casts a Galaxy Dial in front of the patch (at her side of the tree wall), and uses Rewind on the Galaxy Dial. She will be teleported in a straight line (Galacta towards the Dial line), and the same distance there was on casting Rewind from Galacta to the Dial, but on the other side of the tree patch, on the above mentioned line, by that distance.
*Situation 2: Galacta chases a fleeing, heavily injured enemy archer. She uses Rewind on it, effectively teleporting herself in front of the archer, by the same distance there was upon cast. Galacta uses the distance advantage to kill the enemy.
- If the area is not pathable, such as a patch of trees, Galacta will be teleported to the point nearest to where she was supposed to land, with circular search radius around the target point for a free point instead of linear 'Galacta -> Target' search.
- Can be used upon magical immune enemies.

spell4.jpg
Places a static dial upon targeted area: it serves as an outpost for Galacta's other spells. It provides small vision, can survive 6/8/10 hits from an enemy and lasts for up to 6 minutes. Each active Galaxy Dial will stackably increase Galacta's damage by 7%.
[r]
I60 seconds100800 casting range, 2 dials max.
II50 seconds1251200 casting range, 3 dials max.
III40 seconds1501600 casting range, 4 dials max.

Notes:
- Dials provide 300/300 vision.
- Dials can take up to 6/8/10 hits from heroes or towers, and double the amount from creeps.
- Dials give 150 gold bounty at all levels.
- Dials can be denied when their HP gets lower than 30%.
- Using this skill when the Dial count has been reached will destroy the first placed dial to place a new one.

Aghanim's Scepter upgrade: Decreases cooldown of all Galacta's spells, gives 'Statis a Dial' ability to Galacta.

Propulsion Ray: 9 -> 6
Pixelating Statis: 20 -> 15
Rewind: 20/17/14/11 -> 17/14/11/8
Galaxy Dial: 60/50/40 -> 20

Statis a Dial - Cooldownless, 50 mana spell. Puts a Galaxy Dial in inactive state, giving it permanent invisibility but losing the damage bonus. An inactive statis can become active again by recasting this skill on it. Dials will also become active if Galacta uses Rewind on them.

Icons: Pixelating Statis, Rewind & Galaxy Dial - CRAZYRUSSIAN
Hero skin and icon - Apheraz Lucent
Guns model - Suselishe
Hero Attribute Icons - jopi

Note: some icons have been recolored to fit the theme more.
Proposed hero's missile: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...gunmissile-49027/?prev=search=gun&d=list&r=20

Last edited:
Level 30
This whole first post entry post thing is a little confusing, so I updated my first base in that post, and moved WIP in here. Eeeerm. Okay.

This took far too much time to think up due to the fact that I tend to be a person who really likes to strike with visuals, and the formating of the BB code was frankly PAINFUL. Took me entire day to come up with this and a lot of pastebin submissions.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2649010-post55.html

Boo! a WIP.

Hero's role and type: My recently revamped Watcher skin will fit in here nicely, I'll just need to find some good futuristic gun attachments to give her the extra edge. Since this is a sci-fi contest... My bet's that the name 'Galacta Ray' will do it's job.
About her role, well, since she's a ranged hero (guns) and looks like a carry type of hero (skin), I'll make her a versatile hero of carry type: meaning she'll have some sort of mechanism that will allow her to be both a single unit slayer, and also an area control hero. Meaning she needs a nuke spell, a catch-up spell, a disable spell, and one skill I can be free at. She'll be an AGI hero, with low INT increase, but good STR per level as she'll need to be in the epicenter of battles to be functional.

Base ideas for skills: So, a disable, a catch-up, a nuke and joker skill. And she still needs something to trigger between AoE/Single Unit gameplays. I'm thinking about a summon, which will trigger AoE skills, but at reduced effects. Hm...

I - Nuke - Single unit, pure type damage. How to make this splash damage when needed?
II - Disable - AoE silence. She must rely on this to stay alive as much as possible.
III - Catch-up - Blink skill, but with a twist. Needs to be casted upon a unit, and you will blink to a point symmetrically opposite of the current position, with the targeted unit as a point of reference for the line of symmetry. So, if an enemy chases you, cast a summon in front of a patch of trees and use this skill to teleport to the other side of the trees. Or use directly on fleeing enemies to appear in front of them.
IV - Joker skill - Perhaps a massive self-boost, or another nuke. Or a massive disable spell who's power depends on amount of enemies affected. How to disable a lot of enemies for a long time, to give you time to position your spells, but to not make it too powerful?

Lore: A sassy piratess of the galaxy - storming the endless stars in search of adrenaline and fights. Also in search of her own shadow, as people of her race are born shadowless due to an ancient curse. Has little magical powers - relies mostly on her guns to attack and defend, but even so, she has enough magic in her veins (figure out a futuristic goddess here, perhaps some sort of "upgraded" Elune, which due to people living on moon now and not respecting the very land they live in, plus her believers moving on from "religion" powers to hard cold steel guns, now has very little powers) capable of creating an illusion of her own shadow, a silhouette. She heard that a faction has a ritual to break the curse of shadowless warriors, and decided to fight along the warriors in an exchange for her shadow.
Note: synopsis is basically full of my thoughts - no need to answer the questions in there :razz:
It's there to provide a WIP, to keep me brainstorming, and to keep the thread active and alive. Cheerz.

Level 10
i know... but this is the best way IMO to get an SciFi hero into the DOTA lore. Also I have to admit I feel pretty limited by the scifi theme as there are not that many fitting resources (at least IMO, and I try to make something that is possible to create with the resources hive, or other known sites have).

Level 19
Adding. If I may ask why would it be unfair?

Check the modders idea factory and you will see. Literally our work (lately my work) is making ideas for other people. So I could say there's a factor experience I guess. If you prefer though, I must also say that since it's something I make a lot I am not quite carried away of doing it. Hopefully nobody was ofended, that was my personal point of view, which I avoid using most of the time.

Level 10
ok, a bit bigger update on my WiP. Thanks for pointing out the typos ^^
First ability is ~90% done. Would be nice if you could point out anything you don't get about the spell.

Level 19
Oh dear, that is one amazing concept. As always...

@Judges, I was (seemingly) deducted points from my IC2 entry because the model and icons (from WoW) weren't linked. Is it okay for me to use an unlinked, non Blizzard at that, model this time?

@Everyone should new judges be evaluated?

I have no problem with you using either blizzard or non-blizzard stuff. But also ask silvie what umm... he/she thinks.
Also if you want to judge us go on, there's nothing wrong on it.

Level 30
TBH I don't think it would be fair to use any image from the internet as a base for your hero, we are trying to create a futuristic hero for DotA type of map after all. Allowing custom non-model/texture skins based upon people's concept arts would heavily imbalance the competition in my opinion.

Level 19
TBH I don't think it would be fair to use any image from the internet as a base for your hero, we are trying to create a futuristic hero for DotA type of map after all. Allowing custom non-model/texture skins based upon people's concept arts would heavily imbalance the competition in my opinion.

Hmm... I didn't though about it. I guess if there's not a model for your image it would certainly reduce your score...

Level 10
That's also what I think. HIVE is a modding community, so we are acctually 'doing' things (we make them real to saome point). So the easier it is for someone to create your hero idea (not in terms of simplicity of spells in this case, but in terms of resources) the better. At least that's my opinion.

Level 30
Thanks, kamyflex :)

I've came across another "issue", which is projectile.

How are we supposed to present it?

I mean, it is a lot of work to get one photoshoped correctly, and if it's just linked by name or external/internal link, a judge can not visualize it properly.
In my opinion, it is not a needed addition for the contest.

What you guys think about it?

OT: Did a slight retouch to some of abilities' tooltips, and added another effect to Aghanim Scepter upgrade.

Last edited:
Level 23
Thanks, kamyflex :)

I've came across another "issue", which is projectile.

How are we supposed to present it?

I mean, it is a lot of work to get one photoshoped correctly, and if it's just linked by name or external/internal link, a judge can not visualize it properly.
In my opinion, it is not a needed addition for the contest.

What you guys think about it?

OT: Did a slight retouch to some of abilities' tooltips, and added another effect to Aghanim Scepter upgrade.
I wouldn't even know that that thing was there if you didn't mention it.

It doesn't really matter for my current entry but IMO, it would be better without that requirement. The projectile, after all, is just a visual effect and doesn't really matter in the overall concept of the hero.

well, that's my opinion anyway.

EDIT: More update btw. I'm kinda disappointed about my current template. It's kinda cluttered, but since it's the only thing I can manage with the time I have, I guess it'll have to do.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2645923-post32.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.