• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Idealists Challenge #1 "Light and Darkness"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Ausfang: Here the lore should be checked, there are some flaws, depending on the creators english skills it could be improved.
'purifying flame': is overpowered IMO 12 sec duration and cooldown with a silence, so a perma single silence, in dota the longest silence is Doom (ulti) with 15 sec and skywrath mage has a normal skill with silence that last 6 seconds on lvl 4 with a 11 sec. cd. this should be adjusted in terms of balance.
'Light of hope': when i get is right its a AoE heal lifedrain? this spell is also OP as on level 2 it's already as good as pugnas ultimate on lvl 1 + the AoE heal, on lvl 4 its even stronger than the ulti on lvl 3

my main concern with this hero is balance, not gameplay. teh creator should take some time to look at the heroes stats (playdota.com for example) to adjust the values. Also on a side note the way the values changes are presented isn't the best.

IMO: stat:lvl1/lvl2/lvl 3/lvl4 is better than like it is now, but thats only my personal taste.

other comments folowing, later this day

Level 23
Lafos : Blood Knight

A talented swordsman known for his superior skills. He is honored and well respected by his people. But one day, he discovered the forbidden talent of blood manipulation. He poured most of his hours perfecting this deadly skill. His whole body was manifested by rage and lust. Eventually, he was discovered practicing the blood magic and was sentenced to death through the powers of the highest mages. But his power was so powerful he managed to survive. Now roaming the lands, he seeks to destroy everything in his sight.

tumblr_m52hsd6pjS1rss05ao1_400.gif

Why does this have so much spells? It doesn't have a spell that would allow the hero to switch between light/darkness and all the skills can be activated any time of the day. So that would be 14 spells on the hero all the time? :/

Good work on all the new entries guys

Level 10
Svernos: The creator should take a look on the Lore part as there are sime tense mistakes, other than that it's well written.
The hero range change is partually senseless as there are no real flying units in dota, they just look like but are acrtually only 'hovering' thus attackable by meele from ground. The range change itself is legit though.

Abilities:
  • Choosing Power: IMO this spell should only be there to change the others. The holy one 'heal allies and damage near undead' makes no sense should svernos be picked by Scrouge (undead). The range change mentioned above is enough I'd say.
  • First Skill: I like this, though for the holy one, there are not that many armor reducing skills in dota, so you could think of just remove negative buffs (debuffs)(well actually then this spell could be also op, maybe leave it as it is ;) ). Also the 40% heal on lvl 4 seems to be too strong, as it scales into lategame too much.
  • Second spell: Really interesting idea, I like it, nothing else to say.
  • Third skill: also nice spells, i think the dark one is very good as it makes the player have to react to whats happening around him to get the full potential out of it.
  • Fourth Skill: Well, in comparison to the other abilities this in the 'weak spot' of the hero idea in my eyes.
    While I get the idea of the holy one, the values should be changed drastically, as a 60 resurrection time just makes no sense when normal death timers are below 60 until the game is in late game (minute ~45).
    The dark one on the other hand leaves a lot of questions open. What is 'Darkness Zeal'? Are Allies also damaged ( this isn't good IMO)? And chaos damage for normal attacks is a bit to strong in my eyes, a plain damage increase might be the way to go.
    Last the duration is a bit long (when it last 120 seconds, what would be the cooldown? 5 minutes?), a mana/sec. cost idea could be nice as it synergieses with 'Haunt'.
  • Other spells: If you're still motivated, maybe make a second 'otable' in bbcode just like the one for the spells, where you can switch through the summoned units.

All in all this hero is NOT bad (yes, I've commented alot on it but it's critics on high a level), the only thing are small aspects and numbers that have to be tweaked, as if this hero would be implemented into dota as it is now, it would not be balanced.

Level 7
well i want to give some comments :
Svernos :
I like how the creator make the opening of the hero's lore, starts from a memorable quote :D Also the creator do a fast response to Jopi's critics... yeah now that hero is nearly balanced IMO... yeah good luck to this hero!

Also other hero is fantastic too (But Dr. Aether? and it's finished?! IMO it's not related to light nor darkness)(also im still waiting some heroes to complete their spells and stats)

OK THAT'S IT ...

Level 10
Daniela:
The lore is well written, though there are some tense mistakes in it. The creator should check it.

Well, I don't know how much experience the creator has with dota or making hero ideas. The spells so far aren't bad at all but also they are not that innovative.

Spells:
  • Holy Seal: this spell is pretty basic, and can be easyliy made wothout big triggering at all. This does not mean a good and fitting spell has to be coded, but this spell also is very similar to Riki's Smoke Cloud, but without the slow.
  • Light's Blessing: Pretty basic aura, still nice, as if I'm not totally wrong there is no hero in Dota that has a +armor aura in dota....
  • Lights Burst: Well, well sadly this looks like a weaker (!!!) version of KotL's (keeper of the light) Illuminate when his ult is active (+ aghanims upgrade). So here something else should be made.

All in all the idea looks pretty raw to me. What I guess is the goal is to create a supporting Light Mage with killing potential. There is much more you can do with the Theme 'light'. Imagine rays of light send down from the sky that follow the target and buff/damage it. Also to make light blind you, you have to look into it (or it's direction) so it is possible to play with face direction or sight (like medusa's Ult).

Svernos: I really like the changes that were made, this is the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moy
Level 10
Nice changes made to Daniela, still there are some things:

• Gleeming Aura: As it is written now is feels a bit strong to me, as it gives a 24% miss chance to enemies in 600 range of Daniela permanently. This also affects attacks that do not target herself but also her allies, and thus is something like an evasion aura. Maybe you shoud consider to sacle the miss chance down for allies, or even build in some facing direction thingy, like in Backstab or Stone Gaze (so only enemies that look at Daniela or in her direction are blinded).
  • Light Burst: The increasing damage reduction per target just makes no sense, as you start with a higher value, the damage reduction also is higher.
    Let's make some calculation (assuming 5 targets, only enemies, no buff for special effect):
Level one the damage is: 200 --> 160 --> 128 --> 102 --> 82 --> Total: 672
Level two the damage is: 250 --> 187 --> 140 --> 105 --> 79 --> Total: 761 (+13%)
Level three: 300 --> 210 --> 147 --> 103 --> 72 --> Total: 832 (+ 23% from lvl 1 or 9% from lvl 2)

This means the spell is best on lvl 2, not 3, and in this calculation there is not magic reduction calculated.

Other than this two rather small things the hero looks quite stable to me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.