• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Aeon of Strife] The High Road - AoS [a melee hybrid]

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
The High Road - AoS
-

HighRoadCover_zps169f47ff.jpg

Story

For centuries the people of Lordaeron and Elvenwood respected a treaty
concerning the mountain pass and trade route between the kingdoms. In a village
along the High Road, a courthouse settled disputes between the people, Elves and
Humans alike. Until recently the magistrates were able to keep the peace. No one
knows for sure how it started but a recent skirmish has erupted into all out war!​

Gameplay

The High Road combines gameplay styles from AoS, Standard Melee Wc3, WoW and
RPGs. The main halls of each faction produce 3 fighters every 30 seconds that march
directly for the enemy base, just like classic Dota. However, each player also controls
worker units who can build several standard structures. Once the building is complete,
it will produce its corresponding warrior periodically. For example, the barracks produces
Footmen and the Ancient of War produces Archers. The game is won when one player
destroys the enemy main hall.

Each hero also possesses a "hero bonus" ability, which boosts attributes and speed
temporarily and brings the camera down to a third-person view. This effect can be
reversed by activating it again, the camera returns to normal and the hero's bonus is
removed. This is not an over-drive as it can make gameplay more difficult. It should
be used as a clutch to escape deadly situations, rush back to defend your army or
chase down a fleeing hero.

The High Road - AoS gameplay is fast and addictive, it offers something for everyone!​
Game System Screenshots
Click on the Tabs to view additional screenshots:

HERO SELECTION SCREENS:
[tr][TD]

The Heroes of Lordaeron

The Heroes of Elvenwood

THR-ChooseHeroHuman_zpsd81aa820.jpg
THR-ChooseHeroWoodElf_zpsb5dc57dc.jpg

CUSTOM SHOPS:
[tr][TD]

Elf Trading Post

The Ironsmith

Magistrate's Office

Garrison Camp

Pub

Magician's Boutique

THR-ShopElvenTrader_zpse26d053a.jpg
THR-ShopIronsmith2_zpscc6d38a1.jpg
THR-ShopMagistratesOffice_zpsbc5bd361.jpg
THR-ShopGarrisonCamp_zps6afc6891.jpg
THR-ShopPub_zpsda40163c.jpg
THR-MagiciansBoutique_zps556454c2.jpg

WEAPON ATTACHMENT SYSTEM:
Only works with "hands free" Heroes.
[tr][TD]

Hands Free

Axe

Sword & Shield

Shadowsong Glaive

THR-Itemhandsfree_zpscecac1cc.jpg
THR-ItemAx_zps7abb941a.jpg
THR-ItemSwordShield_zpscd165727.jpg
THR-ItemShadowsongGlaive_zpsb78f414a.jpg

Exclusive Resources

Available Only in The High Road - AoS:
Never Before Released!
[tr][TD]

New Icons

New Models

New Skins

THRIcons_zps02ec14d9.png~original
By Legal_Ease
THRModels_zps76c619af.jpg

By Legal_Ease
THR-Skins_zps973cf4e4.jpg

By Legal_Ease

Credits

Icons

Skins

Buffs, Weapons & Missiles

Unit Models

Spells and other credits

Barbarian Skills 1.1
by Marcelo Hossomi

Axe throw v3.0
by Bluebay

Raging Slam v1.10
by f0rsAk3n

*Addition credit goes to the following members:

Daffa_the_Mage: For development oversight, testing

abgm: For testing and reviews

Deathismyfriend: For being a trigger-master and answering life's most persistent questions

Maker: Again for advice in the trigger & scripts forum and helping me fix triggers

Hell_Master: for without his bbcode help this description would be much less cool.

[tr][TD]

Download

Last edited:
Level 30
THis really looks very promising for an AOS with a mix of a melee. There re quite many custom and original heroes to choose from. ALso there is a presence of custom items that are equippable and shows up in character which is I like very much.

Now the terrain, it looks good though empty at some point and try avoiding using Blizzard Cliffs and practice on Raised Cliffs. JUst do some Raised grounds, Smoothen the sides to not make it look like rigged. Ten just add blockers so ground units cannot go past the high mountains.

Overall, looks promising. +4 REP once again!

Haha, the terrain belongs to SoJ. He let me use it. Its much better than I could do. I need to do the credits still. I'm just working on a description but I will post the map to pastebin if anyone wants to review or test it.

The High Road

Note: this version is set for easy testing. The player 2 is set to computer. If you want to play WoodElf you must switch it, or open both and play on TFT. The 2 player works but there is also AI for both comp players, so testing alone is ok. There seems to be a desync issue when played over Bnet or Gerana, I'm trying to figure that out. It drops a player if their hero dies.

Also, this map has unreleased skins, icons and models made by me. They lack the quality to stand on their own but look great in the game. For example, Warden's weapon has been detached and turned into an item. Credit to Frankster for helping me learn to do that! But, seriously, shadowsong's glaive, how cool is that?

use JNGP, you can test multiplayer by yourself
ask SoJ..
i'm not in multiplayer mode right now, sorry
OMG, I for got JNGP 2.0 can use Multiplayer Emulation D:
Well, it's a bit buggy you know, sometimes, but its worth a try.

@SonofJay
I don't even expect that myself lol :p

@Legal_Ease
Really like the thread ^^
I'll subscribe to this :)

OMG, I for got JNGP 2.0 can use Multiplayer Emulation D:
Well, it's a bit buggy you know, sometimes, but its worth a try.

JNGP? Is that Jass New Gen? I have WE New Gen, is that the same?
Also, will this recreate the desync problem? I'm not convinced it will since it will be played from the same IP as the host = me. It would be hard to tell, if the emulator dropped. I realize that its the non-host that drops. I tested with Daffa and he host - I dropped. But when I hosted for Kam, he dropped. It made no difference which hero died, the nonhost drops.

+rep to anyone who can figure out why the right side of the description table has turned black. :)

wow man dont double post, put edit: and merge your 2 last post

you know the rules

wall of text :) yes
double post :( no
lol, my thread = my rules, lol
Your off-topic too :)

Abgm help me test. JNGP is giving me error = los/ongameload.txt
Google is returning only frustrated people bitching about no solution.
I think I fixed it, with help from DIMF, but I need to test it.

Last edited:
@Legal_Ease
Yes, JNGP is Jass New Gen Pack, the one DivineLight say that can use Multiplayer Emulator is this version of JNGP :)

Also, will this recreate the desync problem? I'm not convinced it will since it will be played from the same IP as the host = me. It would be hard to tell, if the emulator dropped. I realize that its the non-host that drops. I tested with Daffa and he host - I dropped. But when I hosted for Kam, he dropped. It made no difference which hero died, the nonhost drops.

It should do, I think :)
I think it detects data and exchanges, so it should still desync like normal.

Last edited:
@Legal_Ease
Yes, JNGP is Jass New Gen Pack, the one DivineLight say that can use Multiplayer Emulator is this version of JNGP :)

It should do, I think :)
I think it detects data and exchanges, so it should still desync like normal.

Ya, you are right. I didn't realize it runs multiple instances over LAN. Anyway, mine doesn't seem to be running. MeoW!

Looks like your table in the right is broken as far as I can see.
Ya, I can't find the missing piece of code. It was fine, then it freaked out on me and I worked for like an hour piecing it back together. When I was done, grrrrrr, black column up the right side. If I could find the missing code I would type it up. I think the solution will be to recreate the border by cutting and pasting my old one back into it.

Last edited:
don't roar here, you're not in the middle of jungle... you're in hive ^^

lol, I know.... I'm sorry. I am just frustrated with broken things and well... I know thats no excuse.

Lol

@Legal_Ease
what's the problem, the emulator on Jass NewGen don't run?

I can't load NewGen TFT. It says:

"Could not hack game.dll. Please post logs/ongameload.txt"

ongameload.txt log reads as follows:

Code:
loading kernel32.dll
loading blizzard.ax
loading Game.dll
Game.dll loaded...pausing and running script
Error: RegisterNatives signature not found

I've read stuff from the Hive, Helper and Wc3c, and it all ends bad. No answer. People give up. Some say its no good on Vista. I can run NewGen WE just fine. I think I might need to disable my AVG and redownload and install.

NewGen 2.0 is like Download it, place it where ever you want then open it...

Thats what I am using. I think my AVG may have damaged it during download, so I am going to try to DL again with AVG disabled. I might also try this. I saw your posts on the JNGO 2.0 Beta site. More and more I realize that you SonofJay are, indeed, the man.

don't forget to set your Warcraft path :wink:
I did forget. Well, I didn't know about this so, its not really forgetting but thanks! I will try to figure out how to set the path. Thanks!

Give me the code and let me see the problem. I'll try to solve it.

You are a too nice. I will PM the code to you. Just an FYI, I re- C&P'd the head/footer code from my map description on White River Valley and I had the same issue, which tells me that the issue is something in the body of the code.

Kloader.. you can use it, SoJ can use it
why i can't? how damn unlucky i am.. :sad:

I wasn't easy. I had to disable my AVG and download JNGP 2.0 again. Then I disabled my firewall and entered the correct pathname into config.txt. There aren't any real good instructions, they only tell you most of what you need to know, you always have to tinker a bit. Also, to make it work on LAN you need to load a map before you open the 2nd instance and then you can join the loaded game with 2 instances running in 2 windows.

[UPDATE]
Desync officially solved!
Changed sky/fog effects
Replaced some screenshots

[Next]
I think more players would make this game much better. Please advise!
I am wondering if there is anyway to have complete shared control of
the workers and if the camera system can be made MUI.

[Please comment]
Spells - Are they good or do I need to add more custom?
Models - Does anyone have a problem with any or want to suggest new ones?
Else - please feel free to comment rate etc....

Level 30
Nice new updates and about the "Please Comment Section"

Spells - We cannot yet know if it is or bad, I suggest give a test map for us to play and we'll see.

Models - Model looks fine to me.

Else - You are using SoJ's terrain right so I suggest for you to improve it. Also for an AOS and Melee, a 3rd person view is quite distracting and not accurate enough. EIther remove it or jjust make it an option by typing a command and not permanent game camera view.

Nice new updates and about the "Please Comment Section"

Spells - We cannot yet know if it is or bad, I suggest give a test map for us to play and we'll see.

Models - Model looks fine to me.

Else - You are using SoJ's terrain right so I suggest for you to improve it. Also for an AOS and Melee, a 3rd person view is quite distracting and not accurate enough. EIther remove it or jjust make it an option by typing a command and not permanent game camera view.

:) The High Road - AoS Sorry, this is not the latest update, I will post the new one when I get home. This one should include the desync fix though. I posted the first map in a thread comment a week ago or so.

Also, the camera system uses a spell ability which I find is much more user-friendly than chat message ( -cam ). 1-click on and off, I find it practical and as explained in the description should only be used in certain situations like chases or to cast a spell when mana is just under what is needed. Effectively using the hero bonus adds a dimension to the strategy not found in any other game.

Let me know what you think of the spells. I made most of them custom OE but a few are GUI.

Thanks again Hell_Master, I really can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the feedback. Also, I noticed another map description with my black edge problem. Infinity also has it. Maybe its a bbcode system glitch and not a description code error.

***Pastebin UPDATED Most recent version now available at the link above!***

Last edited:
Level 30
Yes, its quite weird on why Kobas' Template doesnt have that sickness. Maybe there is stillw ay to fix that black border. Will test it out now and give feedback but not yet full review just suggestion part for spells.

High Road AOS Spell Test

Introduction

So I've seen through 2 heroes with their abiltiess and I can say that they are quite simple and also edited a little yet still remains as the original ones but actually what is good about the spell is that it serves the roles of the heroes very well.

Unexpected tab 1

[tab][tabheader]Suggestions:[/tabheader]
  • You could add something more unique to the spells maybe some after effects or such.
  • Could use some more unique spells.
[/tab]

Comment

Overall, Im still gonna test it but lack of time strikes me so for now this is Suggestions for the spells on your map.

Last edited:
No just some improvements. It looks good to be honest but what I meant is make your terrain better and stuff like that.

I actually did quite a bit to the terrain. I took out the sharpness and added a lot of buildings and doodads. I removed the cute bunnies and a lot of flowers (sorry about that SoJ). I'm not sure I improved it much but it need some stuff to make more of a story out of it and add paths for more of an AoS feel. I'm afraid if I do any more I'll make it worse. Is there something specifically you think could be improved? abgm suggested thinning out the buildings but I really liked the clumps of buildings they look more like a real city. I added a lot of shrubbery around the edges too and enlarged the trees a little. I've never made custom cliffs and I'm afraid I would ruin it. But maybe I'm missing something.

I'm thinking of adding more players too. That seems like a constant suggestion. Its tricky though because they will have to share the same base or I will have to add bases and change the AI.

Thoughts?

Beta

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.