1. Music Contest #10 - Results are finally published! Drop by to check some retro songs and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join Terraining Contest #19 and witness the aftermath!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 3rd Melee Mapping Contest is ON! Join in on a ride of a 4v4 melee experience!
    Dismiss Notice

[Role Playing Game] The Black Road

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Wareditor, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    TBRLogo650.png

[/QUOTE]

THIS MAP IS BEING WORKED ON 10/01/2018

Latest Update 11/2017 : download link for unofficial beta in discord.

Our discord server : discord

[​IMG]

INTRODUCTION

The Black Road RPG is a map made by WaterMolecule & FatherTime, an undertaking that began in 2006. While remaking and rebranding the game with TBR 2.0, a team was assembled specifically for the upkeep of TBR 1.3. Though six years has passed since the release of 1.36b, The Black Road is still played across servers and maintains itself as one of the most memorable RPGs on WarCraft 3.

I joined the team in 2013 with the intention of working on a massive update for 1.36. However, the project never reached its conclusion. I have decided to renew my efforts on The Black Road, a map that carries with it a great deal of memories for myself and many others, and rather than a simple 1.37 update, a complete remake.

Our goal is to stay true to what TBR 1 is. The Black Road RPG 1.40 is only the first step into this game’s future. I want the community – I want you – to reach out to me so that we can build this game together.​

[​IMG]

THE PROJECT

Story & Setting

Hades has declared war against Olympus.

From the malevolent pits of the Underworld, the God of Death grasps at the heart of Greece with cold hands, opening gateways to his realm for his armies of the damned to pour through and plague the mortal world. With his minions unleashed upon Greece, and the Olympians in disarray, the Titans have seen an opportunity to reclaim the world and take what they believe is rightfully theirs from their children. As whole cities burn and kings are torn down from their granite thrones, the eternal lands of Greece face complete desolation.

Yet, hope remains, as Athens seeks to unite the city-states and beat back their enemies. Twilight heralds the dawn, and new champions have risen from mortal ranks to stand against any divine being that seeks to dominate humanity and quell the seas of evil that flow from the maw of Hell itself. As one of these heroes, it is up to you to stop the Titans and bring the God of Death to his knees.

For the glory of Greece!

Key features

The Black Road experience Enjoy the original Black road experience in a new exciting and more polished map
    A rich world A vast and interesting map to explore and conquer - fight mysterious creatures, complete quests and events, discover secrets and defeat the mighty lord of Hell.
    Customizable heroes Choose how to build your hero - stats, items, professions and spells.
    Crafting madness Pick one of the four professions and craft for hours, find rare materials, learn new recipes and forge a mighty regalias.
    Challenging experience Ancient Greece is not a place to rest. Titans and Demons are now tougher than ever before.

Screenshots

[​IMG]

THE ALPHA

Latest version : 06/11/2016

The Alpha contains :
    * 6 Heroes
    * 5 fully scripted bosses
    * 12 scripted creeps
    * 56 items
    * 15 quests
    * 4 Professions (need to be worked on)
    * Around 3 hours of content

The Alpha will be updated when I can (code reset every update during alpha)

Please post any feedback in this thread

[​IMG]

TEAM & RECRUITMENT

The Team

Wareditor.jpg WAREDITOR - Project leader and Coder
    Wolfe.jpg WOLFE - Designer and Writer [Inactive since beginning of July 2016]

What are we looking for ?

* A Terrainer for some sweet Greek terrain.
    * An Artist for some icons/skins which will fit in with the rest.
    * A Writer with at least a bit of knowledge of the Greek mythology.

[​IMG]

CREDITS

Original creators and contributors

First creators:
    WaterMolecule
    FatherTime
    Cheftain
    eyeoftruth
    Arthasfirestorm
    DrewDude
    Weapon_Strife
    darkwolfking
    KillerKujo

1.35 verison:
    KySoto
    Amok.ak47.5
    exodium
    Idontneedaname
    Style_is_all
    Neonex
    ripper_the
    BlazingEdge
    slightofhand
    war_monkey
    Kratos_Strength
    Mind_Gazer
    GurkenKinG
    Computer(EviL)
    Av3n
    FiH
    Shnougle
    Brownie

Sources and databases

TheBlackRoad.net - The orginal forum of the map, sadly dead.
    Theblackroad 1.3x - A great database about everything you need to know about TBR 1.3x

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    Seems interesting... waiting for screenshots :3

3. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am happy to announce that a new member joined the TBR team :

Wolfe.jpg WOLFE !
    He is an experienced writer and designer. His involvement with the project will make TBR a more refined and interesting map. His writing can already be appreciated in the project presentation.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  4. witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Resources:
    Resources:
    I played this map many times, really like it, but since I not have much time to play now, can I use save code 1.36b in this new version? And hope you release it soon :)

5. bernardojr

bernardojr

Resources:
    Resources:
  6. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This used to be the absolute king of RPGs for the longest time on Warcraft 3. Though I played it less than a dozen times, I remember enjoying it mostly for the base road concept plus the lore despite me not really being an RPG player. Anyway, I'm glad you're picking this up, so good luck!

I haven't played it any time recently, but I remember playing it two years ago and feeling that the map was a little dated, especially for an RPG (Look to Gaias, TKoK, Entharasa, etc). So, my suggestion is to add more advanced things such as more elaborate spells and high quality terrain + visuals. I also hope to see the game's challenge and pacing not falter down, as those are things that kept the map engaging compared to other slow grind for days ORPGs. Make it exiting =)

7. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you everybody for the messages, I am very glad that you are interested in the project. I am working hard right now to bring the alpha for the 28th.

No, sadly as I am completely remaking all the systems and all the heroes, so there is no way to keep the old codes.

You can count on me for that!

8. xxdingo93xx

xxdingo93xx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Subscribing! Really looking forward to this

9. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Update: Alpha is on its way. I have made huge progress on the new terrain. Though, Wolfe has been inactive for a while now and things aren't getting done as fast as I expected them to be. It's very possible that Alpha will be out in the beginning of August rather than in the end of July. I am sorry for the delay, I am doing my best to make a great map.

Here are a few work in progress screenshots :

Capture d’écran 2016-07-23 à 10.16.12.png Capture d’écran 2016-07-23 à 13.37.55.png Capture d’écran 2016-07-23 à 13.38.11.png Capture d’écran 2016-07-23 à 13.38.26.png Capture d’écran 2016-07-23 à 13.38.52.png Capture d’écran 2016-07-23 à 13.39.13.png

10. bernardojr

bernardojr

Resources:
    Resources:
    how is it going?

11. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @bernardojr

I am still working very hard. I am spending all my summer on this map. Sadly, Wolfe only helped me a few days and I am pretty much working alone. So it is taking a lot more time than expected as I have to do everything by myself.

Though, I have already something playable right now and about 90% of the systems are done (even the save/load is done) but I want to have more content before releasing an alpha. I will probably release something this week, but it will just be a taste.

Here is a small teaser:
    ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

12. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alpha is now available: you can download and play it today!
    It's going to be updated regularly. Though I am giving myself a few days off before reworking on the map again.

If you test the map, please share your thought on this thread.

13. Oncle Dulan

Oncle Dulan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey, seems fine so far!

I have however found a few bugs (or so it seems to me)
    I've been testing with a Barbarian - Clerk setup, The fountain bosses seem really swingy in power, Wolf super easy and Bear super hard, is it intended? (Found out that the Demonic bear still spawns after you summon Demonic Bear spirit, so if you just leave they will fight eachother, and end up killing eachother)
    Alchemy materials seem to have a higher drop chance than other materials?
    Would suggest you to use Optional quest tab as a information tab.
    If possible, make Tainted Intestine not drop when quests is turned in.

If I find something else I will return with suggestions.

If you need testing with anything further, please contact me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  14. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Oncle Dulan
    Thanks for testing the map and posting your feedback. I will fix the things you mentioned.

Concerning the bosses difficulty: they are all supposed to be about the same difficulty. Bear seems hard at first glance but is really easy once you get how he works. The really hard part is when he casts Fury, this spell can be interrupted using a stun. If you are playing Barbarian, saves your stun for this. If you can't interrupt it, you can kite him while he has the Fury Buff - his speed is reduced while he has it.
    Did you test the spider boss ?

The drops are the same for each profession, you just got unlucky/lucky.

About Tainted Intestine : they should stop dropping once everybody who had the quest give it back. They will keep dropping if someone has the quest in game.

If you want to participate in our testing sessions, join the discord channel :)

15. namnume123

namnume123

Resources:
    Resources:
    Like it so far , a bug with 4 demonic essence quest , the priest wouldnt take my demonic essence .
    No combo for warrior skills , i used Q W E and i wasnt getting any combos.
    The fountain bosses fighting with regular monsters , that was hilarious.
    No recipes for level 10-20 in goldsmith(the only one so far i achive lvl 11).
    The portal boss OP , i mean insta death...
    Wolf fountain boss , was dealing self damage with a skill like circle of shock wave.
    Spider fountain totally owned me , its kinda difficult in solo . The infinite spider web is making u imposibile to do anything.

16. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @namnume123

Thank you very much for playing the map and posting bug reports and suggestions.

-I will fix the priest quest.
    -Combo points work, you just need to be in combat to acquire them. I will make the system a bit more flexible in next update.
    -As I said, crafting is very much unfinished. I am a bit unsatisifed with it at the moment. So I am planning rebuilding it from scratch.
    -The portal boss should be more doable in the next version but it's not a solo fight.
    -I will fix the wolf self damage
    -How did you die to the spider ? Because of her auto attack or the mini spiders she spawns ? The web only stops your movement, you can still attack here.

17. namnume123

namnume123

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well i was surrounded by those tiny things.

18. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    She spawns eggs when she is ovulating. i would suggest reading the buff icon to understand what makes them spawn. From their you have either the choice to ignore the trigger and make sure the eggs don't hatch (by killing them) or take into account this specific trigger and make no egg spawn at all.
    I am being a bit cryptic so you figure it out by yourself. Good luck!

19. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Does the staff have any purpose once you get the necklace?

20. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @cleavinghammer Not really, it will be removed upon completion in the next update.

Sorry for the late replay, but I am starting my new year of uni and in consequence I have been pretty busy. Nonetheless, I plan to push the next update soon.
    I already added quite a lot of content (a whole new hero). I hope you will like it.