• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The file is not an MDX model! error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Hive Workshop, this is StonemaulMidget,

There are some models (including ones inside the BETA MPQ) that won't open in either the Model Editor or the Retera Model Studio. Despite the file name ending with .mdx, it will give me the following error...
The file is not an MDX model!
Either what it's saying is true, and the person simply named it .mdx at the end, or something else is going on, like a corrupt file (which shouldn't be the case).

Suggestions?

Attachments

• BTNGuardianLordaeron.blp
    4.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 54eyb5eu5.jpg
    54eyb5eu5.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 30
  • GLyru5rn5k7.jpg
    GLyru5rn5k7.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 29
Level 29
That is in fact a valid BLP file, however it's not a valid texture.
You can throw it in the sanity tester to see why.
Some versions of WC3 will load it correctly, some not.
In the sanity test, you can right-click the main image and save it as PNG from the browser, then go to BLPLab and convert that back to BLP to make a valid BLP (you can also use BLPLab directly to convert it to PNG).

War3beta.mpq
If you're referring to the really old 2001-2002 beta thing from Hallfiry's unofficial archive online, I downloaded that a while back and tried opening its contents for fun. The BLPs inside of that archive are in a different format -- they are BLP0 instead of BLP1. All other versions of Warcraft III use BLP1 although Reforged changed a few details on how the BLPs are parsed so that certain fanmade BLPs will not open.

you can also use BLPLab directly to convert it to PNG
Does BLPlab open BLP0? I know it opens BLP1 and BLP2 but I was not sure if it opened BLP0. Last time that I wanted to open BLP0 files, I opened those with DrSuperGood's BLP plugin for java.

Most of the .mdx files do work
The ones that do not work, as I recall, confuse our modern tools because they declare themselves as version number 800 -- the same number we use on Reign of Chaos -- but the files actually contain a RIBB chunk which is structurally different from what our modern Warcraft III games can handle. And as a result, I have never seen nor encountered a fan tool that actually understood these beta RIBB chunks, because they are totally not relevant. I don't think anyone would bother to want to read them. At this point when I try to use those old beta models in modern Warcraft III versions, what I did is to load the model and have my parser skip the RIBB chunk (because it's an easy code change to skip this) and then save back a new version of the model in the Warcraft III mdx release format that does not contain the RIBB chunk. So, part of the model data is lost, but I don't care because then all of my modern programs are able to open the model, and if I really wanted a ribbon I could just edit the model and add in a ribbon myself.

But, again I am assuming you are refering to the "War3beta.mpq" from the old days from before Reign of Chaos released in 2002

If you're referring to the really old 2001-2002 beta thing from Hallfiry's unofficial archive online, I downloaded that a while back and tried opening its contents for fun. The BLPs inside of that archive are in a different format -- they are BLP0 instead of BLP1. All other versions of Warcraft III use BLP1 although Reforged changed a few details on how the BLPs are parsed so that certain fanmade BLPs will not open.

Does BLPlab open BLP0? I know it opens BLP1 and BLP2 but I was not sure if it opened BLP0. Last time that I wanted to open BLP0 files, I opened those with DrSuperGood's BLP plugin for java.

The ones that do not work, as I recall, confuse our modern tools because they declare themselves as version number 800 -- the same number we use on Reign of Chaos -- but the files actually contain a RIBB chunk which is structurally different from what our modern Warcraft III games can handle. And as a result, I have never seen nor encountered a fan tool that actually understood these beta RIBB chunks, because they are totally not relevant. I don't think anyone would bother to want to read them. At this point when I try to use those old beta models in modern Warcraft III versions, what I did is to load the model and have my parser skip the RIBB chunk (because it's an easy code change to skip this) and then save back a new version of the model in the Warcraft III mdx release format that does not contain the RIBB chunk. So, part of the model data is lost, but I don't care because then all of my modern programs are able to open the model, and if I really wanted a ribbon I could just edit the model and add in a ribbon myself.

But, again I am assuming you are refering to the "War3beta.mpq" from the old days from before Reign of Chaos released in 2002
(I opened those with DrSuperGood's BLP plugin for java.)

Java's gone, so DrSuperGood's BLP plugin may not work.
Might there be an alternative?

The Beta mpq is literally the closest thing I could find for RoC. I don't think Blizzard has posted anything else like Alpha since.

Pray tell, what are "RIBB Chunks?"

That is in fact a valid BLP file, however it's not a valid texture.
You can throw it in the sanity tester to see why.
Some versions of WC3 will load it correctly, some not.
In the sanity test, you can right-click the main image and save it as PNG from the browser, then go to BLPLab and convert that back to BLP to make a valid BLP (you can also use BLPLab directly to convert it to PNG).
Where can I find this "BLPLab?"

Level 29
First result when searching "blplab" in a search engine :p

Status
Not open for further replies.