• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help please to import mdx file to 3d modeling software (Milkshape, Blender, or 3D Max)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Someone please help me. I am having trouble importing any model from Warcraft to any modeling software. I tried so far Milkshape and Blender ( with the plugin that supports Warcraft mdx file). The problem is it either deosn't show up in Blender or in Milkshape it says " File doesn't contain any meshes) and in Blender it just won't appear. I have no trouble importing any other custom models from Hive or from anywhere else. It's only if I need to import the model straight from the Warcraft.

Steps of what I did:
1)I downloaded CASC Viewer and extracted all the files of units, doodads, etc (Had no issue)
2) Milkshape required me to have mdx file that is 800, so I downloaded Modeling Optimizer and switched it to 800. It transformed the file from mdx to md. (I think the issue is somewhere there)
3). I used Mdlx converter to convert from .mdl to .mdx and tried to open it in Milkshape, but got the message saying File doesn't have any meshes.
4) For Blender, the file won't show up.

Please, if someone knows what to do or what II did wrong help me. To be honest, I have no other solutions since I tried everything I knew.

P.s.: someone told me to download Retera Model Studio hack, and I did, but the models do not appear in preview and I get Java error, so not sure what to do there either.

Yeah, Hive models are mostly in Frozen Throne format but Blizzard changed the format of all models in the CASC just enough that they crash fanmade programs. You can convert any MDX from inside the CASC into the old format like Bogdan said using the tool from here:

Just use "Scripts > Assign FormatVersion 800" and then when the model data is tagged as version 800, as long as the model is from "classic" graphics of Reforged then the Retera Model Studio can save it to the old Frozen Throne format (called 800) and will do that just with a "File > Save". If the model is some Reforged graphics thing you need an extra step to not only save in the old format, but actually convert the contents in a lossy way to a similar looking old-format model (called HD->SD in the menus).

Status
Not open for further replies.