• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Development Incubator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
It’s a simple fact; most indie developers are going to fail before their project reaches fruition. There are an excruciating amount of problems that block the path to success: lack of experience, budget drying up, failed development infrastructure, team breakdown.

It is because of this that I want to start a development incubator where I live, a place thriving with creative potential. Basically, provide the production resources, industry contacts, and overhead that is needed to produce indie games. Instead of having a bunch of indie developers taking on all of the risk themselves, collect them all in one place and take on part of the risk. Give them some guidance, some professional polish towards completing their goals. Create an infrastructure in which they can develop, instead of taking shots in the dark in order to figure out the path. Its not a new idea, but the amount of these incubators are few and far between and there's no real formula for it.

Suggestions, feedback towards this concept?

Last edited:
Level 12
I think the idea sounds fine. But I have to wonder if the advice I would get from it would be valid. But it wouldn't hurt to see what someone thought about the idea before I spends Tons of time on it, and if i they were to help get direction on it before they dive in. Also the idea of resources is nice.

For someone like me this is how I would want it structured.

• User Submits Proposal, and brief summary of what they have done/researched, and there current skills, and past work achievements. What there exceptions are on the result of the project and a timeline.
    This may need to be more structured out but you get the idea.
  • Another User (Review Concept), Response to the general concept, timeline, exceptions, and on there past work. Then Place Suggestions, on if they think this is a viable project, and even if they decide it isn't suggestions they have in change in the project structure, and timeline, and exceptions.
    Also an area where you can add links to resources you think they may find useful, or support sites that are more focused on what they are doing, or book suggestions.
  • General Sites For Resources, And Help on Fine detail work.
  • Credibility - Who Are You, What Have you Done, What makes you believe your right (on your points) (some how put in)
  • General Suggestions For Work flow

And then a way for them if they hit milestone, (projects maybe can only have 4 mile stones) then is put up, and then will fill the milestone in)

Anyway I didn't really proof read this to much or think this though much, but my general thoughts on the topic. I have gotten alot of advice on some projects i have done, none made much cash but the many of the things people told me were important (I agreed, at the time) I Found latter were not for me to get as far as i did (as i never got to doing them, not to say that it wouldn't have made it better). So In the future, when i hear advice id like to know what they have done, and why they think they know what there talking about. Demo ex (not me): I was able to create this project and got these reviews here, and got x plays, and made x dollars (assuming it wasn't free) That type of stuff shows me the person reviewing. Its fine if someone has made a Mod, and had 2000 people play, thats Great, thats more important to me then someone saying they created lots of stuff spending lots of time getting lots of plays, and have this eduction..blah blah balh. with no real numbers.

Level 14
I get a large amount of what you're saying and you bring up some valid points. Though I'm not sure you catch the full scale of what I'd like to do with this. I mean leasing physical office space and creating a production environment capable of game development, but instead of being a single design studio, housing a bunch of indie game developers.

Level 12
O!

I did not pick up on that. (ya i went off in another direction)

I think its great idea. But for someone like my self, Who would love to drop my job and make a run full time deving some projects. The only thing stoping me is not having in income for a uncertain amount of time.

But If I knew Others were working on the project as well, and there was a "head master" sort of speak that give guidance, If there was a place near me id still wouldn't do it full time in fear of not being able to pay my rent. but Id put in 10-15 hours a week for a 3-6 months and work my job full time, to give it shot.

to me it sounds like, your not talking about investing into paying anyone, more of investing into in environment that can help people push a project out. With good structure, advice, and workplace to get the job done.

So. Ya I think Its a great Idea. But You would be puting up at least some investment into a place, and basic eq, and your time, so peoples projects didnt fan out (I am assuming) you get some % or something so you could afford to host the place, and for your time. Sounds sorta risky to me, Unless its time you have and money you can afford to lose.

But If you had some past success.... if it was local I would be very interested.

But I would not be interested in going some where with a bunch of die hards that have no success/much to back them up and work on a project for 3/6 months spending all my spare time and just hope its successful, unless i know the guide was so excellent that i felt it was near fail proof.

Id even be willing to be part of something like this if you were able to prove you had successful groups go though it, and some sort of agreement on a defined project. even though i am sure i am not local.

*Edit

I have heard of places like your talking about, but its mostly when a few devs go into a office togather doing some of there own projects and then do contracts with projects togather and grow it out a little. but that's more with all the devs on the same level. but sounds like your hoping to get people rolling and then become more of somthing like that.

Level 14
Thats a lot more of the feedback I was looking for! Thanks, Rover! Yeah, it wouldn't be something that would be a full time ordeal. There's no payment, but in turn they'll get access to the overhead and the production resources to push their game out. It lowers the risk on the individual developer. A developer would still join the space and be working on their individual game. Start small and work their way up. They'd still be the conductor for their project... I'd just provide the train.

P.S. Don't invest any money you aren't willing to lose.

Level 21
I believe it would be more useful if you didn't make it so that you are bound to put in some actual cash (offices).
Instead, focus on giving counseling. If you worry about it taking too much of your time or money, then just make a contract that you get X% of their income if they start making any.

Most of this is about creating a community and that doesn't require being in any specific place (although helpful).
I envision this as an internet forum that you just spread among your friends at first. If it takes off, then it can grow to be something huge, but that doesn't matter much at first.

The real question is: How do you intend to make the indies succeed?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
then just make a contract that you get X% of their income if they start making any
Not viable due to variances in international law. Nothing would stop them developing in one company, selling the game at a huge loss to a new start up company just to sell it and cut you out of your share (this is what movie companies do to avoid paying actors big shares). Charging a subscription service would probably be best with a nominal or free status for people just starting (only charge those that are successful). You could also try and get shares or intellectual property as payment which could stop them cutting you out.

The real question is: How do you intend to make the indies succeed?
The real question is "Can they succeed?". A lot of ideas can be thrown in the bin already in idea phase as it is obvious they will never succeed.

An example with WC3 is someone saying he will make a 90 mission long campaign using all custom content and revolutionary trigger systems, seeing how no one has made anything like that and it has been nearly 10 years and the game has past its peek one can instantly say the idea is not realistic and so not viable.

Level 12
I have to disagree with ya in a few points but I see what you mean.

To have a successful project, (in my mind a 1-5k a month consistently in my mind), that's a tall order.

But I have a older brother who does has gotten that for 3 years in a few basic card game pass on windows phone (But he put in 5-10 hours a week consistently on them to continually update them since release, Way more time then i have spent on a project) and he has a much larger background in programming then I do. He would have been better off $ wise just working over time or doing some contract work, but its a pride thing for him.

Even though projects i have done i wouldn't consider successful, 2-300 a month consistently for nearly 18 months, I wouldn't say that its unrealistic, for it to become more successful if i had put a closer to equal amounts of time into it. Its possible.

Where i mostly disagree is when you talk about a complex system someone mad in war3, a great deal of skill or a complex project inst required to have a successful project. I think a project well done, that can catch enough interest simple or not, can be successful. But doing the project is hard enough, and even harder to have an project that will have a high success rate. But I cant talk to much on the topic as I had a successful project my self.

I do agree, its a really tall order. not to be taking lightly.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Where i mostly disagree is when you talk about a complex system someone mad in war3, a great deal of skill or a complex project inst required to have a successful project. I think a project well done, that can catch enough interest simple or not, can be successful. But doing the project is hard enough, and even harder to have an project that will have a high success rate. But I cant talk to much on the topic as I had a successful project my self.
No I was referring to someone proposing a very complex system. By this it could be a "realistic AI that learns your behaviour and changes its play style to best counter you, including chatting with you and adapting to random events automatically" kind of thing. I have seen people post that as a goal for WC3 projects yet the idea itself has never been successfully implemented in massive budget real games. The idea sounds great but a "reality check" would bounce it back.

There are certain signs one can use to get a good idea on project success.

How well written is a project proposal? If it consists of only 2 sentences that give virtually no detail next to a rough idea then the idea is still too early to even think of getting a project going. Although it could be developed into a viable project most cases will be failures as they were just day dreams or spontaneous ideas with no one to follow them through.

How well thought out is the proposal? If the proposal has nonsense logic like a pyramid scheme or lacks any form of reality check then it will obviously fail in its current state. Such projects might be able to be made realistic with some revision but most will give such outlandish ideas that it is doomed to fail from the start. An example would be a MMORPG where everything is made up of atoms with ultra realistic physics, sounds cool but such simulations are beyond the capabilities of computers for many decades to come. It need not even be so alien, it could be someone describing a absolutely massive MMORPG with movie like graphics covering an entire earth sized planet which is possible with modern technology but clearly not with the resources at the guy's disposal.

How technical is the proposed project manager? If the manager lacks any understanding on the proposed subject, refuses to learn and says "oh I am the idea guy, others do the work" then there is really no hope for the project to get anywhere. An example would be someone proposing a building design that floats free-standing in mid-air and can change shape and self-repair if damaged, sounds awesome but anyone who has any understanding of physics knows that it is impossible and so should he.

How reliable is the proposed project manager? The biggest single failure of most projects is not viability, knowledge or even resources but the determination of the guy (or guys) in charge. If they go then chances are the project goes with them. This is the fate that almost every WC3 map has suffered as the map makers have long gone and map will see no maintenance ever. Kids or young adults unfortunately are often not that reliable. I myself am an example of this where I was maintaining the SC2 map Undead Assault 3 but due to university had to stop. Even though the map is heavily played on BattleNet (several dozen games a day) and I made all resources available to the public for further development, no real work has been done since I had to stop since people are conflicted what they want and no one has expertise to continue. If a project manager is not in a position to dedicate the time required for most of the duration of the project then chances are it will fail.

Anyway back on topic...

You do not need actual office space to develop software. You only need the tools and the labour. With the internet this is especially the case since you could employ people from home or even on a contact basis to fulfil labour requirements. Most tools do not need office space either since software and workstations can be setup at home. Communication can also be done with VOIP and other free real time services.

Why all the effort when an office would still work? Well offices are very expensive, and the savings can be passed on in the form of extra development resource. Also indi developers will likely not want to move to a physical location just to get some help with their project. They will however seek some help which is where decentralization helps.

So what could you do? Well next to consultant work managing projects you could also offer them labour resources for development. Additionally you could inherit any maintenance work from the projects if you have some form of share in the developed project and so keep them future proof (fix bugs, release on new platforms etc). You could also manage labour resources by a job based system where you advertise for specific jobs (such as part of a game engine, an artwork etc) and when it is fulfilled the worker receives a pre-determined payment. As an organization you could also have an IOU system where you promise to pay for work done if the project ever becomes profitable (the earnings from the game first go to cover the IOUs before any profit is considered).

Status
Not open for further replies.