• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Discussion] Question: Game development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

What do you, the content creator, the gamer, the maker or the one being (thyself) think about the game development?
Treating it as a survey, a discussion, or a share instead of an QnA or a topic.
From my part, personally I found there are 3 aspects of the game development. E.g. game art, game design, and game programming.
Personally, I have no knowledge about the game market, the indie game development, the game company, or the game industry.
Its (the game development) section can be the listed from the known ones, the other, or maybe the war3. (sc2 as well) Maybe, the game development from the college or the university stuffs, and the game development job as well?
Prolly you may not talk about your idea, which the word 'idea' refers to own work. (your created stuffs, or in mind)

I show nothing (personally, and currently I have no actions) other than posting the stuff right here, but what do you the shamanistic learners think about it? (the game development)

Probably, or maybe to me, I think it is full of hobbies, and also the daily activities. (but maybe I'm dreaming)
And, the future, or the present.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Game development is probably one of the most difficult aspects of software/content creation out there.

When one writes an operating system kernel component or some new industrial program there are always clear metrics and requirements at the end of the day. For example with a new scheduler kernel component one would be looking at thread latency or overhead percentage. Or with an industrial application it either works and makes production more efficient or it does not. With games there are no such clear metrics as games have to be fun and what fun is depends on every person.

At best one could try to guess what some group of people will find fun. But no matter how hard you try there will always be people with various takes on fun and want your game to be something slight different.

At the end of the day a lot of it comes down to experimentation. Base your game off an idea that already exists and try adding something new or different to it. Often the idea will end up unfun which is why no one has used it before, other times you will hit on a real winner. In the end a lot of it comes down to who you want your target audience to be and luck.

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Top 100 Most Popular Warcraft 3 Maps

"But, one thing.. to .. straightly said."

That is my belief/vision. (but, by the dreaming) Personally, just adding it by the way.

But, personally I think the behaviour and the ethics of the people decide the fun of the game as well. (my 'fun' here refers to or could be the another fun, like the 'joy') For example, (although I don't play SC2) the community of littlewargame browser game is a complete negation to the real life people. Unless, the player ignores the other, or that there is the mute function which is checkmarked.

E.g. when I was being objective towards asking for the data fix of mine, the other one said "who the hell plays the game like a contract". When it is about the logics of the gaming and also the open learning, the opponent asks for basically the negative emotionally-driven decisions, instead of the perseverance, the patience, the endurance, the slow-paced step-by-step, the fast-paced thinking and the controls (peripherals) etc. When I share my original idea to the community with my said disclaimers, basically or simply "I might not do it", the current game site dev. (with the tag, 'moderation') being rude and offended by his saying (or the flaming) "welcome to do yourself <<my name>> but bla bla" (I forget the latter, I remember it is the same as the former) So, when I saw the old message about the bans, I know these bans are right, but the message about the bans are to unban the banned ones. The littlewargame game dev. said "sorry for that but I will fix it", (not the exact words; I forget it) but the game dev. never does. I notice the game dev.'s saying "haha let me just copy paste the data" (not the exact words; again I forget) reflects his/her bad behaviour and the attitude towards the player statistics, the data. (my data was backed to the old ones) I straight away quit the game for the judgement of mine on that the dev. would and will never fix the data. It is a data violation to me, from and by the reflected behaviour of the game dev. When I saw the old message "the community.. toxic bla bla" (not the exact words; I forget) by the other, the another one said "change your attitude". Just speaking my experiences, or rather by the present.

Personally, to me, I think a proper game must be as well. Well, that is of course, (without the shenanigans or the weird ones, instead of the features) not about only with the good community.

And also, from my personal perspective, I think the narrative from chess.com is nice, its narrative is a simple rule which says be kind to each others and that explains the moral of playing the chess, or the site gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.