1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The Clown of As'Latur

Submitted by CMarket
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
The Tales of Kaliim: Special Edition

The Clown of As'Latur

Alright, so this is the cinematic that won second place in the last cinematic contest, barely losing to Hemlock's Darkness Within, an excellent combat cinematic which I recommend.

As I'll keep my tradition of not revealing any spoilers, I'll just write a short comment of my ideas here.

A new field of cinematics?
Anyway, this is a map I'm quite proud of, and though I didn't win first place I still got a better reward from the contest. This very map.

What I tried to do and (I hope) have succeeded to do, is break new ice on the whole field of Warcraft 3 cinematics. The idea came from Lynch's Lost Highway I hope that this map will be just as much of an inspiration as my earlier work, if not more.

This is by no means an ordinary map, nor has anything like this ever been attempted, at least to my knowledge. This is a psychological thriller, by NO MEANS just another story cinematic.

Don't feel bad if you don't understand half of the story by the time you finish watching this. If you do understand half, then you're better than most. This cinematic is not one story, but at least three, and, to the creative viewer, possibly even more than three.

There is no strict version of the story. You chose which one to believe. You can look at all the things in the cinematic, all the merchants, the trees, inscriptions, as something random, or you can look at every last thing, from the rain, to the merchant clothing as planned and important details. It's up to you.

What I ask of you, the viewer, now is to do something you probably never did when watching a Warcraft 3 cinematic: Pay close attention and absorb as much as you can, and once the cinematic ends, reflect on it and see if you can make meaning for yourself, before asking others. As I said, there is no formula of the exact thing that happened, and chances are, what you think is right.

Before I go, just one thing I should also mention:
Make sure your in-game sound and music volume are equally tuned, preferably both being on 100%.

Info on my future plans
The Lone Panther series is back on track, and you can look forward to at the very least another part, namely the long awaited third part: Broken Belief. If everything goes according to plan I should be able to release it somewhere after mid July of 2010. After that I'll start working on the fourth installment, and possibly another special edition to the Tales of Kaliim, not directly connected to either the SotHM, TLP or CoA.

Keywords:
Clown, Kaliim, Lone, Panther, Sect, Kafana, awesome, thriller, psychological, twisted, horror, As'Latur
Contents

The Clown of As'Latur (Map)

Reviews
15:42, 31st Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Update: Adding rating and reviews from contest
  1. 15:42, 31st Jul 2010
    ap0calypse: Approved

Update: Adding rating and reviews from contest

2. CMarket

CMarket

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It would be nice if you guys could read the description, or at least the part where it says:
    Make sure your in-game music and sound volume are at the same level.

3. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Omg finally map from CMarket must check this one right now!

23.05 MB that means you imported large number of sound files, but knowing ya work it must be something special!
    I can guess that actors have their voices as well!

4. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    FINALLY released it :D
    I've watched it before and all I can say is epic.

5. Zanekok

Zanekok

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Hmm i really dont know what was there and who was that stupid clown... it was a bit like horror. I was scared in many times of story. Really great job. +4rep

6. CMarket

CMarket

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's the thing, isn't it. It's not supposed to be plain and obvious. Think about it? Perhaps the Clown is a magical being, so powerful the priest couldn't even detect him. Maybe he is a manifestation of something, not necessarily magical. Is he connected to the Holy Mother? Is he helping Gomez or hurting him?
    I'd prefer to hear your thoughts rather than reveal my interpretations at the start.

P.S. The description offers more info on this type of cinematic.

7. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Will download WarCraft III only to watch this! Rock on!

8. Zanekok

Zanekok

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yeah i read description. I watched it again and now know one more thing but its really hard to know what was there. PS: Who is Holy Mother?:D
    Edit: OK now i know... its your serie of cinematics but dont have time for watching of it :(

9. CMarket

CMarket

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hehe :D No worries there. You don't need to watch the series to understand this cinematic, but it can be an additional theory as to what the story is if you know the background of Kaliim (the world in which these cinematics take place).

10. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If we forget about my FU mind this one is really awesome! I can't wait to see more...
    I can't understand story jet but all else was epic!

11. CMarket

CMarket

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Think of it as literature class you had in high school when you analyzed books, as a lot of things in the story have symbolic or metaphorical meaning.

If not, check back later and somebody might write their interpretation, after which you might get a spark, an idea for yours :)

12. Zanekok

Zanekok

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I have some but i won't say it because ppl will know many of things from story after

13. Tanasren

Tanasren

Resources:
    Resources:
    Pisse suit, or pisea suit
    it was written this near the priest, no ?
    two guys we wearing same clothes as the two guys at start.
    The last guy was named "james sullivan" but what were the two characters' names at start ?

14. Mantis_Style

Mantis_Style

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    that's a badass cinematic O.O

Ideas about the story

The Clown and general Thoughts
    I believe the clown is the manifestation of his guilt. He is the bad thing, the sin in Gomez (men are not punished for their sins, but by them). Everytime we see him, the main character Gomez is thinking about an possible affair of his wife (she comes home late, she talks to this affair guy near the market place) or he killed / is going to kill someone. So Gomez killed his wife and the affair guy, but somehow he can't remember anything and just don't understand (the letter at the beginning which says the affair guy is dead, but he doesn't know his name). He only has these visions about what will happen and what he did (his headache). Slowly he remembers what he did and at the end of the cinematic, when he's in jail, he remembers killing his wife and the affair guy.

Symbol
    The creator used fire to show Gomez's guilt (and the clown of course). Like in hell fire is supposed to clean the sins through pain (catharsis), but the fire we saw two times wasn't real (the house is not damaged in future). So the fire seems to be a symbol for that.

Priest
    He says, Gomez had these visions because he remembered a different past, but he doesn't seem to be able to help him. The Priest wipes one single time with his hand and simply says it's not magical. Maybe he is not powerful enough to see what's going on.

Things I don't understand

What's with these three rooms before he gets to the affair guy?
    Why can't Gomez remember anything?

PS: Please don't be mad about my english :)

15. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Maybe rooms 301, 302... means: The Sect of the Holy Mother (we see that pyramid head dude), The Lone Panther (he didn't show room because serial isn't finished jet) and dead mean was for this one (He saw himself, because at end of cinematic dude told to his boy: "He was hanged in the town square. A sad end to a sad story. The worst thing is that he probably did love her, despite the affairs.")

16. Septimus

Septimus

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    borigard smith voice was a bit choppy at the beginning, but it was rather a good cinematic that definitely worth to be recommend.

i recommend to use subtitle system and potrait talk animation to give a much better realism into it.

17. crimson fire

crimson fire

Resources:
    Resources:
    Another clown map thingy.....the circus must be rolling in xD will download it and c what the fuss is all about.

18. kidsoulex

kidsoulex

Resources:
    Resources:
    Did he really did that or it was the clown?

19. millzy

millzy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    well im going to have to watch this
    to bad the map size is huge and im capped :thumbs_down:
    its going to take me like over a hour to download :confused: