• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Backdrop Story (Setting)

Level 3
First off, I want to explain the concept of the “reimagination”-idea itself. We wanted to tell a story within Azeroth’s own history, but we felt too restricted, there were too many factors and too much lore to be an original project. So, we will write the story out from Azeroth, and will do any changes we feel like to do on the way there. It’s therefore likely it’ll end up as its own story, but with a few names from WC lore and a few familiar events, as some important history details can – and will – be changed.

So, the backdrop history is of course the setting the main story is put into. I’ll try to keep it simple without leaving out any major details:

Wars are fought between this world’s horde and alliance, the Emerald Empire and the Divine Kingdom, respectively (at least that’s their working titles). The war itself is the Kingdom flexing muscles, taking over the Empire’s native territories. One character, unknown from what side for now, tries to gain the upper hand by using some of the ancient scriptures he/she has dug up.

This character’s intentions are to create a portal which will allow this world’s version of the Burning Legion to enter into Azeroth. However, he/she loses control of the entire ritual as the magic becomes too powerful for him, and the demons never pass through entirely, instead corrupting him/her, making this character the first of this world’s Scourge/Undead-creatures. As this new threat appears, the Empire and the Kingdom agrees on a temporary truce, and join forces, more or less.

The story of the Traitor Legion goes like this: Toward the end of the war, a Royal Army-regiment still hungry for battle, decided to lay waste to the City of Stratholme, and blame the opposite side in order to stall the war’s ending further. Although the treacherous regiment failed to flee the city before the Sentries of the Crown arrived and caught them, the regiment had managed to kill the entire population of Stratholme. The King, being present with the Sentries, saw to it that the entire regiment was executed on the spot. The stories say that their spirits search restlessly for some way to redeem themselves.

Some decades later, the King would be cut down by his own son, whom then disappeared without a trace. In cases where the King would die without an heir to the throne, a system had been arranged; it was made so that always four noblemen/women were given the titles "Prince"/"Princess", so there always was an heir available to step in. This "system", however, was nothing more than a superficial demonstration of democracy, as there was no law on who would be the rightful heir. A power struggle arose between three of the noblemen and -woman, as the second "princess" wasn't interested in the Crown. As the world is now, the person closest to being king due to his power and influence, is the Grand Inquisitor of the Crimson Seal.

Last edited:
Level 4
Interesting story. If I understood well it is going to be a campaing?
Anyway, I just hope you will do the maps well. I've seen some campaings on the site and they're pretty low quality. My point your story is great, but you must be able to put the story in the maps well.

Level 3
Interesting story. If I understood well it is going to be a campaing?
Anyway, I just hope you will do the maps well. I've seen some campaings on the site and they're pretty low quality. My point your story is great, but you must be able to put the story in the maps well.

Thanks, and yeah, translating the story as it is over to a wc3-campaign (Yes, it's a campaign. Hero-campaign, no base-building, to be clear on that.) is going to be the hardest challenge, especially since I haven't worked with this media of story-telling. But, I am optimistic, and we'll try our best, and see where it gets us. If nothing else, we'll learn from our mistakes. ;)

Level 1
Wars are fought between this world’s horde and alliance, the Emerald Empire and the Divine Kingdom, respectively (at least that’s their working titles). The war itself is the Kingdom flexing muscles, taking over the Empire’s native territories. One character, unknown from what side for now, tries to gain the upper hand by using some of the ancient scriptures he/she has dug up.
now for whom? You or the Kings of the respective empires?

Level 3
Yeah, that "now" is a bit dubious.

It's the now of the mapmaking, originally, as in "we, the mapmakers, do not know right now", although I have a few ideas. However, it might as well be the now of the King/Empress as well. As in "they don't know yet". It's one of the less important things. At least, I feel so xP

Woah, not sure I explained anything at all >.<

Last edited: