• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The all about expansions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

This is a thread where you can say what you think about the ongoing expansions of WoW (everything expansion related).
-) Do you think they're good or bad?
-) What do you think about each expansion?
-) What is your oppinion about each expansion's new features?
-) What do you think they should make in future expansions?

Every idea and oppinion is welcome! :wink:

Level 9
TBC- Two cool warcraft characters die (Illidan and Kael'Thas) also never played it
WoTLK- A warcraft legend dies (Arthas) and gameplay is just horrible, because its so darn hard
Cataclysm- Most badass dragon ever created dies (Deathwing) played it a little and doesnt seem to be very different from WotLK
MoP- Cool character named Garrosh is kicking Alliance butt and is my favorite expansion
WoD- Havent played it and will have Iron Horde, too bad i cant play as it
And i would love to see Queen Azshara, N'Zoth, Fifth old god, Argus and Sargeras expansion.

TBC- Two cool warcraft characters die (Illidan and Kael'Thas) also never played it
WoTLK- A warcraft legend dies (Arthas) and gameplay is just horrible, because its so darn hard
Cataclysm- Most badass dragon ever created dies (Deathwing) played it a little and doesnt seem to be very different from WotLK
MoP- Cool character named Garrosh is kicking Alliance butt and is my favorite expansion
WoD- Havent played it and will have Iron Horde, too bad i cant play as it
And i would love to see Queen Azshara, N'Zoth, Fifth old god, Argus and Sargeras expansion.
Nice points, a bit simple explained though.

My points are:

TBC:
-) quite nice expansion
-) continues the original WC3 story line
-) only drawback is that everyone who got geared-up in classic, did it literally for nothing, as the TBC items were a lot better and easier 2 get

WotLK:
-) also quite nice expansion
-) also fitting with WC3 story line
-) the gear-up problem was solved in a way more proper way than in TBC

Cataclysm:
-) somewhat boring expansion, not much new
-) there were dragons all along in WoW, so why make the new evil a dragon and not something rly exotic?
-) and all that newly added ancient Egypt stuff simply doesn't fit 2 Warcraft @ all
-) gear-up somewhat O.K., although the gap between lvl 80 & 85 is extremelly much worse than between 70 & 80
-) all in all, not a very creative or well-made expansion

MoP:
-) they should have made that expansion before the idealess Cataclysm (Pandarens already existed in WC3 TFT)
-) somewhat better than Cata, but not something to get overexcited about either
-) surprisingly, has to do somewhat more with WC3 storyline & stuff than Cata had
-) gear-up a real crap; everything again from the beginning
-) again lvling and epic items of Cata pretty useless again......

So to conclude it, the first 2 expansions where O.K., IMO. But the 2 later ones were both disastrous. I started playing it when TBC came out and so i could constantly watch the same process happening again and again: a lot of time wasted for lvling. Max-lvl riched, now again wasting hours until i get even some gear, not the very special one. Once i had somewhat better gear, the new expansion came out and made it useless! My guess is that WoW wouldn't loose so many people if Blizzard would, instead of increasing the max lvl and items each time, just add a few new items which can be received at certain dungeons and maybe some more challening world events. Just increasing the lvl and adding the same item with higher stats isn't what keeps the interest. :vw_sad:

Level 9
This is why i hated mobs in WotLk:
Razormane spawning rate was just not normal. There were was just no room for breathing, because there were to many razormanes. Black wolfes in Duskwood also had a high spawn rate and were annoying as hell. Raptors god i still hate those guys for being fast and annoying. Most bad thing about WotLK was that mana was just horrible. Warlock was impossible to play. One Shadow Bolt and already so much mana gone. Pretty much only playable classes were Warrior, Rogue and Mage. Mana using classes are only good if you have a Mage with you who can just make mana drinks like every single second. But overall WotLk was fun to play. WoW is fun, but only with friends. Alone is pretty boring to play and the worstest thing of all were gankers in STV.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
TBC:
+good lore characters as bosses, really motivates you to raid.
+dungons and raids wasn't ROFL-stomp-able you had to do guild runs to clear dungeons unless you had a lot of gear already.

-not casual friendly
-pvp wasn't very good (mainly world pvp)

WotLK:
+extremely good lore in general
+dungon finder and arena
+casual friendly with the intro of HC and normal raids / dungeon
-ugly ass gear (icc and ulduar might be an exception)

Cata:
+transmog
+world revamp
+zandalari dungeon revamp (loved it!)
+goblin
-LFR
-rip lore
-reforge

MoP:
+Lore rich
+beautiful landscapes (or at least well made!)
+world bosses / rare items
+flex
+developing storyline during patches, legendary quest line being unlocked with each patch. Vol'jin's story development as well.
-timeless island
-bad theme for raids, there wasn't a single good one
-too many daily quest factions
-pandas
-pvp power

TL;DR:

lich king > tbc > cata > classic > mop

Blizzard should go back to TBC styled raids and dungeons, it's waaaay to easy atm. Other than that I am just looking forward to a south sea expansion. Exploring Zandalar and the giant pirate isle, which I don't remember the name of.

WoD is great theme wise, it's gory and brutal and brings back TBC. Sadly things like LFR and faceroll normal raids still remains. Time travel sucks too.

Last edited:
Level 24
TBC:

-) Kind of good.
+ Included the first 10 man raid in WoW
+ It had memorable bosses
+ Lady Vashj added a new level of teamfights which elevated raiding in WoW

- Removed the brilliant idea of Naxx's raid wings
- Added the worst leveling zone in WoW's history Zangarmarsh.
- added the worst battleground in the history of battlegrounds, Eye of the Storm

WotLK:
-) The best of all WoW expansions.
+ Memorable bosses
+ Contained 4 raiding difficulties (10 N, 10 HC, 25 N & 25 HC)Which unless you include RF in MoP 5.3 is a higher amount of difficulties than we've ever had otherwise.))
+ Inovative and fun BG's, Strand of the Ancients and Isle of Conquest
+ Raiding wings are back in both Naxx and ICC
+ Fun leveling zones
+ Best made soundtrack so far
+ Good use of nostalgia (Naxx, Onyxia's Lair & Yogg-Saron)
+ An awesome LFG system and achievement system
+ Voice acting was taken to a higher level
+ The Occulus, best thing ever (I'll be called Antichrist for saying this I know it)
+ On avarage the most entertaining bosses.
+ Winter Grasp adding the feeling of world PvP back into the game
+ Best Death Knights transmog gear ever

- Isle of Conquest was incredibly unbalanced
- Trial the Crusader and Grand Crusader were just awful.
- The god damn awful spawn rate of the time lost proto-drake
- Sylvanas got a new voice actress who sounds like Lois Griffin (A day may come when I forget or forgive this but it is not this day)

Cataclysm:
-) The worst expansion WoW has yet seen.
+ Fun dailies in patch 4.2
+ Entertaining boss fights
+ Best cinematic ever
+ Mount Hyjal is the best leveling zone presented so far in WoW.

+/- Raid Finder Bad because the difficulty sucked and good because casual players could now partake in the lore that they'd paid to see
- The second worst zone of all time Vashj'ir was added
- Few raid bosses
- Laziest made BG's ever
- Time spent reworking the leveling zones instead of endgame content that players actually could have used
- Worst story paradox EVER! (The Aspects goal was to stop the destroyer, but the destroyer was an aspect... so the pantheons trolled Azeroth and killed a bunch of people in doing so... nice gods...)
- Too much Thrall playing mortal god
- 4.1 did not contain a raid and the extra time they got from that gave us only 8 bosses in patch 4.2
- Removed the amount of raid difficulties from 4 to just 2, normal and heroic
- Flight added while leveling, removing any sense of exploration

MoP:
-) Avarage expansion
+ Flexible raiding
+ World bosses reintroduced
+ Timeless Isle
+ Best in-game cinematics
+ The lore was interesting and more involved with the gameplay than ever before

- Heart of Fear contained extremely bad boss designed and many had more or less the same models, just slightly re-skinned
- Dailies, all the dailies, too many
- PvP power made PvP gear less significant than ever before
- Least memorable bosses yet

Level 24
I don't think pandas were a bad choice, everyone who was into lore knew about Pandaria prior to MoP and expected Pandaria to appear sooner or later. I definitely think it was a good choice to add Pandaria but I think it should have been an individual zone not an entire continent.

I don't think pandas were a bad choice, everyone who was into lore knew about Pandaria prior to MoP and expected Pandaria to appear sooner or later. I definitely think it was a good choice to add Pandaria but I think it should have been an individual zone not an entire continent.
I have the same oppinion. I just think that they should have brought up pandaria before that stupid and senseless Cataclysm. Surprisingly, pandaria has somewhat more to do with WC3, the pre-game to WoW, than Cata had. :vw_sad:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Why do everyone suddenly hate pandas so much? I think they have a very good lore. Mostly how they had Y'Shaarj under their legs and that Sha thingy trying to take over.

I am your enemy now. If you want fluffy pandas go play my little pony or something. World of Warcraft you know.

It's like trying to put a car in a microwave/oven and expecting the car to function like food.

Tbh most people can live with the panda continent, people hate the pandas in general. At least within my gaming class (I know 10 persons who agree on it).

Edit:sorry for the semi rude language, I just got strong feelings on the topic.

Level 9
I thought everyone loved pandas... I even heard that racism dont exist, because pandas are asians, black and white and everybody love them. Anyway there is one thing i dont understand. I have heard alot that this game is addicting as hell. Ive played this game for like maybe 7-8 months now and still im not addicted or very interested in this game. Probably, because sometimes this game is as frustrating as Need for Speed and Hein i never said that i want fluffy pandas im just saying whats so wrong with having pandas? I heard that pandas are even an older race than those weird gnome guys.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I thought everyone loved pandas... I even heard that racism dont exist, because pandas are asians, black and white and everybody love them.
This has nothing to do with racism.

i never said that i want fluffy pandas im just saying whats so wrong with having pandas? I heard that pandas are even an older race than those weird gnome guys.

As I said they don't suit. The female panda look like a stuffed animal straight from the toy factory and the male looks like a fat drunk. Other than that.. just imagine a panda beating up the lich king and so on..

While it makes sense lore wise .. it doesn't suit into the genre. One panda is bad enough. A whole continent.. please.. if it was a single zone, fine, I can just look on that with a blind eye. But a whole expansion + continent + it's a playable race.

I just can't get how anyone thinks it suits at all..

Level 24
just imagine a panda beating up the lich king and so on..

Shit just got real!

320a-500x500.jpg

Level 9
Shit just got real!

320a-500x500.jpg
Umm... I wasnt planning on sleeping today anyway. Well there is one thing i agree. Making pandas a playable race was pretty dumb yeah. If they would have stayed neutral it would have been more realistic, but ofcourse this whole game isnt realistic, because mobs life wolfes suddenly fly to me when i attack them from high ground. What really sucks about WoW is that you cant have any advantages over mobs, because they can fly and just run through trees and other kinda stuff. Well it isnt totally like flying, but they just like infinite jumping or something.

Last edited:
Level 10
I actually liked the pvp of panda,
except there was too much cc. Also
my favorite class, rogue is kinda screwed up.
I mean you can make a burst every 3 minutes,
other than that the class cannot kill a lvl 12 npc.
Panda content is retarded. If there was
one zone with chinese content its ok, but a
whole continent, nah!

IMO, they should add with pandaria 2 races, as they always did so far. 2 competiting races: the pandas for the alliance and maybe some lizard men for the horde. They added in pandaria some crappy lizard men, but IMO, they don't look all too much like humanoid reptiles, but rather gecko-crocodile-stuff. :vw_sad: I have the same oppinion about Blood Elves in Horde and Worgen in Alliance, it should be the opposite: Elven stuff is what lets most people think about human/empire/alliance races firstly, and wherewolves bring up the thoughts of orcs/beasts/undead and trolls. :wink:

Level 24
IMO, they should add with pandaria 2 races, as they always did so far. 2 competiting races: the pandas for the alliance and maybe some lizard men for the horde. They added in pandaria some crappy lizard men, but IMO, they don't look all too much like humanoid reptiles, but rather gecko-crocodile-stuff. :vw_sad: I have the same oppinion about Blood Elves in Horde and Worgen in Alliance, it should be the opposite: Elven stuff is what lets most people think about human/empire/alliance races firstly, and wherewolves bring up the thoughts of orcs/beasts/undead and trolls. :wink:

And for those who doesn't want absolute good vs absolute evil there's World of WarCraft. You could always pick up SWtOR if you want good vs evil. Besides name 1 good reason why the Blood Elves would join the Alliance or why the Saurok would join the Horde. Lor'Themar was thinking of joining the Alliance up until Jaina went crazy so that's screwed up. As Lor'Themar said himself, "When will they learn, when will they see that the Horde exists because of the Alliance? Because of their prejudice and their bigotry, they force us ever closer to Hellscreams Horde.".

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Oh yeah, we had that discussion in another thread. I wont put up my arguments here as well, but I too think that tbc was the best expansion from a PvE perspective. The pvp was at it's peak in cataclysm according to me though. (no I am not trolling!)

pvp:
tbc: no reci (unless I am wrongly informed)
lich king: burst expansion every dps class had like 40% crit, if not more, rogues could have 55%. A BIS geared ret pala could easily 2 hit decently geared people in arena.
Cata: no burst expansion, reci was stable, PvE gear wasn't working in arenas nor bgs
Panda: Too complicated, PvP power and battle fatigue suck. The base reci is also flat out retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.