• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The ability limit - Poll thread

Which system would you prefer for the spellbook?

• Solution 1: always have all abilities, but abilities will be nested into ability chains

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Solution 2: mutual exclusive ability choices similar to the talent system

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Solution 3: custom asigned hotkeys and otherwise maintaining the status quo

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Slightly confused about whats happening to the casters if the first ability in their chains has such a long cooldown. Will they be forced to do quite a bit of auto attacking until their abilities come off cooldown again?
Edit: Nevermind, I see how this works now.

Would prefer no-cooldown -> longer cooldown where applicable, just so that we're not heavily changing how the game is currently played. Also would still prefer to see the "ultimate" abilities just have a CHANCE of appearing as a chain finisher, rather than reducing their CD and damage.

Anyhow, Im not really opposed to anything you suggested there, I guess it just won't feel like a perfect system until we get more abilities to fill out everything anyway :p.

Slightly confused about whats happening to the casters if the first ability in their chains has such a long cooldown. Will they be forced to do quite a bit of auto attacking until their abilities come off cooldown again?
Edit: Nevermind, I see how this works now.
I'll still explain it just so others that read this don't get confused either:
Ability A -> Ability B -> Ability C
If A is ready, display A.
If A is on cooldown, display B.
If A and B are on cooldown, display C.
If A and C are on cooldown, display B.

hence why a spamable spell will always be the last in a chain.

Would prefer no-cooldown -> longer cooldown where applicable, just so that we're not heavily changing how the game is currently played.
How would that work? The no-CD ability would forever block out the high-CD ability?

Also would still prefer to see the "ultimate" abilities just have a CHANCE of appearing as a chain finisher, rather than reducing their CD and damage.
That would feel a bit arbitrary and also add a lot of frustration to the game in the end ("damn, my BoL never procced the entire battle!".
I prefer making as few changes to existing abilities as possible.

Anyhow, Im not really opposed to anything you suggested there, I guess it just won't feel like a perfect system until we get more abilities to fill out everything anyway :p.
It will certainly change the playstyle a bit, but where it was applicable, I designed the layout in a way so that is doesn't completely alter already established popular builds and playstyles.

Level 7
Well from the sounds of it, it just sounded backwards, though after the explanation, I think it comes down to the easiest way to code it.

Usually when you think of chains you'd think of chain 1 triggering chain 2 which triggers chain 3. The way its actually implemented would be going backwards down the chain though. So in theory, ideally we'd be using lowest powered abilities and building up to the stronger ones further into the chain.

So I was thinking like..

Soul strike -> Is crippling curse on CD? If yes then continue displaying soul strike, if no then display crippling curse to be cast.

Or in the case of two non-cd abilities:

Heal -> Triggers flash of light for the next 5 seconds -> Triggers Burst of light, if on CD, then display heal after flash if used.

Thats just what I think of when I think of chaining abilities anyway. Your solution works perfectly fine too. Its just more of re-adjusting the command card rather than actually chaining abilities together, if that makes sense?

Level 10
Ability A -> Ability B -> Ability C
If A is ready, display A.
If A is on cooldown, display B.
If A and B are on cooldown, display C.
If A and C are on cooldown, display B.

hence why a spamable spell will always be the last in a chain.

Will ability A, B, & C all share the same hotkey?

Level 8
Why second book is bad idea?

If You could manage to move 3-5 spells into passives book it would be just fine, dont You think?

If hero has only 1-2 passives, You could rework some skills, for exmaple:
Gapping wounds --> make it passive % chance
Stun chance --> passive % after using hatefull strike or heaven's edge
Berserker rage --> also passive % to accur, or auto-(on)when zerker is below 50%

This system seems to be very simple, not hard to implement, and also bring some improvements.
Extra passive book, also alow to adds skills that had to be rejected previously.

and ofcourse You achieve goal with more room in active spell book, without complicated combo system.

Level 8
Simpler to understand if you say it in terms of spell availability, its not a chain at all.
  1. cooldown off = available
  2. Max 1 available
  3. Priority:
    A -> B -> C

Level 5
There's a gameplay problem here that im not sure if you all overlooked.
This "chain" system is confining you to a certain sequence and thus having you restricted and forcibly mana drained. (for certain classes).

Mind you all, I know there are different ways of fighting this boss but just think team with guardian angel for this one.
So let me explain here. If Im a crusader tanking, against gazrow. If I have hateful strike, gaping wounds, revenge and shield slam. with the reset cd talent lets say.

I go into battle, forced to use hateful strike, and gaping wounds just to get revenge off hopefully before the cd resets. since I know ill get at least one AA off in that exchange. now I avoid the flamethrower and casted GA on the highest dpser. (if GA is usable without sacrificing a shield slam before hand since it is an agro generation spell). After flamethrower, more likely hateful strike will be up again and lets say shield slam is too. So for the first frenzy I am able to tank stun him and cancel his heal. But as the fight progresses, normally, it becomes off center, and I may not be able to save my stun if I need that damage or shield slam if an ally is starting to pull and I need GA pronto.

I understand that this isn't always the case and zwieb may adjust it so it isn't so. Though not sure what type of adjustments can be made there and what type of problems might arise if the reset talent procs off. Like you're about to use revenge.. then it procs and you got to waste a stun again...

scenarios you know. Same concepts with druid or bishop. normally, natures blessing is used as an emergency heal, so using it as your first heal is kinda sloppy. imagine WoW, "healer why the hell did you just pop your cds??? , Sorry, but I needed to in order to heal the waves that bound to come." catch my drift? bishop even more so. spamming heals just for the combo and not managing abilities is just a mana depleter.

last thing I want to add.. how bout you make all passives an active ability but with a stronger effect. So they become a definite tradeoff for others.
Like the hunter passive. Can give like 20% crit with 20 evasion or something for a short time. enough so that you can use your abilities with it and have a massive burst capability. But the viable tradeoff would be like instead of burst you have awesome sustain dps for the long fights. cant think of one right now but you get what Im saying hopefully.

whatever the case, hopefully I added some possible insight to what you may want to change.

SHBlade

Hosted Project GR
Level 14
This "chain" system is confining you to a certain sequence and thus having you restricted and forcibly mana drained. (for certain classes).

Mind you all, I know there are different ways of fighting this boss but just think team with guardian angel for this one.
So let me explain here. If Im a crusader tanking, against gazrow. If I have hateful strike, gaping wounds, revenge and shield slam. with the reset cd talent lets say.

I go into battle, forced to use hateful strike, and gaping wounds just to get revenge off hopefully before the cd resets. since I know ill get at least one AA off in that exchange. now I avoid the flamethrower and casted GA on the highest dpser. (if GA is usable without sacrificing a shield slam before hand since it is an agro generation spell). After flamethrower, more likely hateful strike will be up again and lets say shield slam is too. So for the first frenzy I am able to tank stun him and cancel his heal. But as the fight progresses, normally, it becomes off center, and I may not be able to save my stun if I need that damage or shield slam if an ally is starting to pull and I need GA pronto.

I understand that this isn't always the case and zwieb may adjust it so it isn't so. Though not sure what type of adjustments can be made there and what type of problems might arise if the reset talent procs off. Like you're about to use revenge.. then it procs and you got to waste a stun again...

Cd reset talents are boring anyway, don't mind if Zwieb remove them from the game :p

bishop even more so. spamming heals just for the combo and not managing abilities is just a mana depleter.

You know, spamming healing abillities is part of healer's gameplay :p
Forcing some1 to use heal is fine for me cuz it will bring some bigger challenge than shield + mend and quick flash if needed.

Level 3

scenarios you know. Same concepts with druid or bishop. normally, natures blessing is used as an emergency heal, so using it as your first heal is kinda sloppy. imagine WoW, "healer why the hell did you just pop your cds??? , Sorry, but I needed to in order to heal the waves that bound to come." catch my drift? bishop even more so. spamming heals just for the combo and not managing abilities is just a mana depleter.

last thing I want to add.. how bout you make all passives an active ability but with a stronger effect. So they become a definite tradeoff for others.
Like the hunter passive. Can give like 20% crit with 20 evasion or something for a short time. enough so that you can use your abilities with it and have a massive burst capability. But the viable tradeoff would be like instead of burst you have awesome sustain dps for the long fights. cant think of one right now but you get what Im saying hopefully.

whatever the case, hopefully I added some possible insight to what you may want to change.
I was thinking the same thing, lets say I use hateful strike, then gaping wounds and I have revenge there but I don't use it yet, if hateful strike's cooldown is over, what would happen? And the same goes for reset cd talents. Also, I don't agree on having to use nature's blessing before remedy.

Level 10

If You could manage to move 3-5 spells into passives book it would be just fine, dont You think?

If hero has only 1-2 passives, You could rework some skills, for exmaple:
Gapping wounds --> make it passive % chance
Stun chance --> passive % after using hatefull strike or heaven's edge
Berserker rage --> also passive % to accur, or auto-(on)when zerker is below 50%

This system seems to be very simple, not hard to implement, and also bring some improvements.
Extra passive book, also alow to adds skills that had to be rejected previously.

and ofcourse You achieve goal with more room in active spell book, without complicated combo system.

Back in the early versions of Gaias there actually used to be two spell books. One for active abilities and one for passive abilities but it was removed. I forget exactly what the reasoning was it was years ago but if I recall it was because of:

1. there just wasn't enough passives to necessitate an entire book of spells.
2. the thought of the time was to actually try and limit you to 9 abilities. and just made more sense to have it all condensed in one page.

Having said that I don't think it's that bad of an idea. You don't even have to have per-say a passive book it could be a secondary/passive book. All passives and spells that are typically not used in combat or don't even have a hotkey assigned to them (Resurrection, you could place the summoning spells in there excluding skeletons, all the passives, many of the bard songs, etc.)

. . .

If Im a crusader tanking, against gazrow. If I have hateful strike, gaping wounds, revenge and shield slam. with the reset cd talent lets say.

. . .

100% this. I could not agree anymore.

Not to mention:
Will ability A, B, & C all share the same hotkey?
Yes, thats the main purpose of the potential changes :p.
This would mean you are basically just spamming Q the entire game. yes the spells change but to what point. At least with different hotkeys you have to remember what buttons to push and use them accordingly to the fight. Having "chained spells" main lines the game so much and just messes with fights designed around using abilities or interupts at certain times during a fight. It would be too hard to manage said things like TooMuch stated.

Also, I don't agree on having to use nature's blessing before remedy.

This just kind of goes off with what TooMuch was saying about druids but I agree.

I don't know I'm not really sold on this concept of chained spells. I get it I do. You want to fix the hotkey issues and clean up some room for more spells because you think limiting to 9 spells isn't necessarily a good thing and many spells go unused and all that snazz, but I'm sure there's a better solution to this issue out there than this one. Personally I don't even think the 9 spell limitation is this big of an issue. It works. Sure more spells get used than others but that's with any game there's no need to force it on players with chained abilities. The great thing about having so many spells to choose from is the fact that many are situational. You can swap out a spell or two for different dungeons or bosses depending what you are doing. You can build your hero differently if you want. Perhaps a good route would be simply making swapping out abilities much easier and quicker. Yes I know, the common player will build the hero pretty identical, but that's the point no? You have the option at least. It's fun trying out new builds and testing new combos together. Maybe players can discover a new set of abilities someone else didn't think of that just completely changes the way the class is played and I think that's a great thing to have in the game.

Last edited:
Thats just what I think of when I think of chaining abilities anyway. Your solution works perfectly fine too. Its just more of re-adjusting the command card rather than actually chaining abilities together, if that makes sense?
Yes, exactly.
The idea is to group the abilities within a chain in a way that:
- makes sense from a gameplay perspective (you probably don't want a DoT very far into a chain, since a DoT is more effective when you apply it early)
- the purpose of each spell in a chain is similar (it makes no sense to have some random AoE abilities in a chain that contains mostly single target spells)
- reactive effects (like stuns and interrupts) should mostly be on the first skill or second skill of a line, to make them available on demand (unless it is intentional that these effects must be "planned for".

Because passives are boring an lame.
Simpler to understand if you say it in terms of spell availability, its not a chain at all.
  1. cooldown off = available
  2. Max 1 available
  3. Priority:
    A -> B -> C
Correct, yes.
In theory, it's more a displayal priority than an actual ability chain.
But in practice, it will play out very similar to a "classic" ability chain system as we have in action orientated games.

[...]

CD reset talents will be removed if I go for this system. They wouldn't work very well with it. Luckily, there are only a handful of these talents and I don't like them anyway.

If you consider Blessing as just an instant version of remedy (and thus better in all regards), it is no problem to keep it on cooldown and force the CD.
It's not like druids really need Blessing as an emergency heal with Remedy working the way it does and the Nymph being super strong anyway.

It will certainly change the gameplay a bit, but nothing you can not get used to. Obviously, spells that are actually meant as situational life-safers will always be standalone spells. Blessing, imho, is not that. It has a pretty low cooldown anyway.

Not all, but some passives will be redesigned then, yes.

I was thinking the same thing, lets say I use hateful strike, then gaping wounds and I have revenge there but I don't use it yet, if hateful strike's cooldown is over, what would happen? And the same goes for reset cd talents. Also, I don't agree on having to use nature's blessing before remedy.
As soon as the hateful strike cooldown is finished, it will be displayed over revenge. So you only have a limited time window to use revenge after activating hateful and gaping.

Having said that I don't think it's that bad of an idea. You don't even have to have per-say a passive book it could be a secondary/passive book. All passives and spells that are typically not used in combat or don't even have a hotkey assigned to them (Resurrection, you could place the summoning spells in there excluding skeletons, all the passives, many of the bard songs, etc.)
It would be annoying, because if you wanted to access the spells of the second spellbook, you'd have to:
- press esc to exit the open spellbook
- press whatever hotkey is assigned to the second spellbook
- activate the ability
- press esc again
- open the primary spellbook again

... that's 5 consecutive hotkeys for accessing just a single spell in the secondary spellbook. And yes, I know that I can nest spellbooks into each other, but that imho feels even less practical, especially in the heat of a battle, since you never know on the spot 'where' you currently are, especially if you don't concentrate on the command card.

Two spellbooks is just not a good idea.
Besides, it doesn't fix the actual problem, it just defers it.

This would mean you are basically just spamming Q the entire game. yes the spells change but to what point. At least with different hotkeys you have to remember what buttons to push and use them accordingly to the fight. Having "chained spells" main lines the game so much and just messes with fights designed around using abilities or interupts at certain times during a fight. It would be too hard to manage said things like TooMuch stated.
How is pushing Q, W, E in order any different to pushing Q, Q, Q?
It's just a different kind of automatism.
And besides I never said that I want to put all primary spells in one chain. In fact, I seperated them much more than I originally intended, simply because I didn't want to mess the current playstyle ups.
I'd say take a look at my ability list again; I don't think it will heavily alter the way these classes play. I invested a lot of thought into the layouts.

but I'm sure there's a better solution to this issue out there than this one. Personally I don't even think the 9 spell limitation is this big of an issue. It works. Sure more spells get used than others but that's with any game there's no need to force it on players with chained abilities. The great thing about having so many spells to choose from is the fact that many are situational. You can swap out a spell or two for different dungeons or bosses depending what you are doing. You can build your hero differently if you want. Perhaps a good route would be simply making swapping out abilities much easier and quicker. Yes I know, the common player will build the hero pretty identical, but that's the point no? You have the option at least. It's fun trying out new builds and testing new combos together. Maybe players can discover a new set of abilities someone else didn't think of that just completely changes the way the class is played and I think that's a great thing to have in the game.
The problem is not the current gameplay. It is future gameplay. With every new spell I design, I have to ask myself the question of "is it stronger than an existing ability? Is it weaker? Will people actually want to sacrifice a slot for that?".
And even with the status quo of only 11 abilities existing in total (of which you can select 9), people already disregard certain situational spells completely, even if they could come in handy. And this will only get worse as I implement new abilities.
Stuff like Spell Mirror or Venomous Blades, Fire Shield, etc. ... all these spells that add some cool elements to the game but simply are (by design) not quite as useful as having another direct damage spell... all these spells will practically be dead weight in future meta, as more and more spells get available.

The idea of having to choose between different spells is great... but only if the choices presented are actually comparable to each other.

That is why Solution 2 (as mentioned in the thread opener) is still a valid option (and easier to implement). But it would heavily effect the current meta and game balancing (and also requires me to put in a shitload of new skills as soon as possible), whereas Solution 1 just synergizes better with talents and wouldn't change the (current) gameplay too much.

Level 4
If I have to chose the best solution at this moment, I go for solution 1.
I preffer solution 2, but we need a ton more of skills to go for that.

Level 10
That is why Solution 2 (as mentioned in the thread opener) is still a valid option (and easier to implement). But it would heavily effect the current meta and game balancing (and also requires me to put in a shitload of new skills as soon as possible), whereas Solution 1 just synergizes better with talents and wouldn't change the (current) gameplay too much.

2) Abilities selected via talent choices

This idea works on the premise that you can learn new abilities as mutual exclusive choices just like the talent system. Abilities would be grouped into pools in which they always present viable choices in context.
For example, one pool could have 'Fireball' and 'Water Globes', of which you can select only one.
The second pool would have 'Meteor Strike' and 'Magic Missile'.
The third pool could have utility spells, like 'Dispel Magic', 'Fire Shield', etc.

Pros:
- simplifies hotkeys, as mutual exclusive choices can share a hotkey
- easy to implement
- maintains hero customization
- can be build directly into the talent system to provide more stuff to do on level ups (for example: a new choice at level 3, 7, 13, 17, etc...)

Cons:
- some spells are core abilities that are crucial for class functionality; these would require a choice that feels equivalent
- thus, it would require a lot of ability redesigning

Can you please elaborate more on solution 2? The way I'm reading it spells would be similar to the way talents are now. So at level 3 we can choose to either obtain fireball or Water globes, you wouldn't be able to have both of them at the same time, and you could have the option to respec them? If option two were used do you know which spells you would be grouping together?

Can you please elaborate more on solution 2? The way I'm reading it spells would be similar to the way talents are now. So at level 3 we can choose to either obtain fireball or Water globes, you wouldn't be able to have both of them at the same time, and you could have the option to respec them? If option two were used do you know which spells you would be grouping together?
Yes, exactly.

- Choices as in "Pick one of two (three)"
- Respec is possible, as with talents, but costly

Finding even pairings of 2 would be very difficult with the current spell list. If I were to pick solution 2, then I'd probably have several "dead" choices implemented aswell, where you have a fixed choice until I implement more abilities for that.

Level 10
Yes, exactly.

- Choices as in "Pick one of two (three)"
- Respec is possible, as with talents, but costly

Finding even pairings of 2 would be very difficult with the current spell list. If I were to pick solution 2, then I'd probably have several "dead" choices implemented aswell, where you have a fixed choice until I implement more abilities for that.

I wouldn't be opposed to this. In the long run of Gaias as more spells get implemented I think this is a more practical solution. Is there a way we can get a list of hypothetically what spells you would pair together if you went route 2 with dead choices and all?

I wouldn't be opposed to this. In the long run of Gaias as more spells get implemented I think this is a more practical solution. Is there a way we can get a list of hypothetically what spells you would pair together if you went route 2 with dead choices and all?
Tbh, I looked at the ability lists and couldn't even find only two pairs per class which I would be fine grouping together (to push 11 possible skills back to 9).

If someone has good suggestions for this, go ahead. I'm definitely open for solution 2 (as it requires the least effort script-wise), it's just that I could not find a good layout yet. The problem is also that it kind of restricts the number of advanced class spells you can learn. Let's say I give the player 5 choices per base class and 4 choices per advanced class (= 9 skills to use), wouldn't it be lame to restrict the impact of the advanced class to only 4 total choices? I feel like the advanced classes should have a stronger impact than the base classes, so 4/5 maybe and leave room for one more advanced class skill to learn in the future?

But that would also mean that we would have to build at least 3 choices for all base classes so far, so players can only pick 4 out of the 7 currently existing.

The best I could come up with was this:
Squire:
Hateful Strike (starting skill)
Taunt <--> Revenge
Shield Slam <--> Gaping Wounds
Parry <--> Heroic Presence

Cleric:
Soul Strike (starting skill)
Heal <--> Crippling Curse
Burst of Light <--> Ressurection
Symbol of Fury <--> Confidence

Magician:
Fireball (starting Skill)
Water Globes <--> Magic Missile
Frost Cage <--> Fire Shield
Dispel Magic <--> Meteor Strike

Thief:
Stealth (starting skill)
Backstab <--> Sweeping Blades (lower cd?)
Embrittling Acid <--> Dazing Trap
Steal <--> Blurred Motions

Ranger:
Servant of Nature (starting skill)
Flaming Arrow <--> Feline Reflexes
Claw Strike <--> Barbed Arrow
Ensnare <--> Remedy

Mystic:
Twisting Metal (starting skill)
Bursting Touch <--> Jolting Strikes
Distracting Weapon <--> Draining Timber
Liquified Arms <--> Imbue Armor
And I know you guys will go on a ranting spree now and might complain why these choices are as brutal as they are...
well... that's kind of the point, isn't it?

I'm not sure about the two cleric pairings:
Burst of Light <--> Ressurection
Symbol of Fury <--> Confidence
could probably be more meaningful if changed to this:
Burst of Light <--> Confidence
Symbol of Fury <--> Ressurection

Zwieb, just a question. Is it me or you want to remove skill upgrades via talents?.....
It's completely you. I never said that.

Last edited:
Level 7
Just my humble opinion. But do not underestimate option 3.
Yeah, it will require more thoughts on realization and understanding, but will add more variety and character control than other two.

And what is complicated in this concept? I just try to breakdown all details about it. In two words it will look like:
QWER shortcuts for skills, ASDF for cooldowns. Press on a shortcut - select skill for it.

And a bit more (over-engineering?) ideas:

Shortcuts selection duplicated in the backpack (in case of all buttons are used), I guess player with full abilities will notice this feature.

Also don't place skills for player after start, instead make big buttons with letters "Q" ... "F" colored in ability/cooldown colors and let player to press it and find that ability will replace corresponding letter on the command card.

And yeah, why not allow to switch abilities when player not in a battle? Just remove summons/buffs for removed ability, and enable cooldown for added ability (it's just a shortcut for calling a real ability, so you can activate it freely after adding). Then special NPC for clearing slots isn't required. Plus this will gracefully solve problem with utility skills.

The option 2 is the best of the 3.
Just a little bit of criticism:
- Only 4 ability buttons until level 25 (with old system player will have 5-7 abilities after d1 and 8-9 after job change -> more fun and tactical decisions)
- Feels a bit cheap (yet another wc3 rpg with skills learned via skillbook)
- Doesn't solve problem with situational spells (just will require talent reset -> more time/money waste)
- Some choices are required for game progression (heal for cleric's job quest, shield slam for squire)
- Removes dungeon/world boss ability scroll farm (yep I always say that current scroll drop is pure grinding, but it's add more sense to boss hunting)
- Makes some talent choices useless.

Also I want to throw some stones into option 1 garden:
- It will change game balance from "think which ability and items will produce better profit in current situation" to "collect all skills and press all buttons on cd"
- Combo chains will force players to use communicating abilities to access needed one, even if this will make disadvantages. (wasting fast heal / crowd control / bursting too early / etc )
- Just guess, but I think combos will make total mess in the spellbook because button order is based on cache as you mention earlier.
Example (* is used ability): A1*, B1, C1, D1 >> B1, C1*, D1, A2 >> B1, D1, A2, C2

And a bit about Out Of Combat abilities.
OOC for summoning feels a bit restrictive, but pretty cool for "stealth/into the shades".

OOC for bard songs sound interesting, but unfinished, how I see it:
Songs cooldown increased to 2 seconds.
In battle each song replaced with a chord:
- Song of Vigor -> Chord of Might: APx2 physical damage to target in melee range. 2 mp, 5 sec cd.
- Song of Elements -> Chord of Magic: SPx2 magic damage to target in medium range. 2 mp, 5 sec cd.
- Song of Peace -> Chord of Peace: reduces aggro of second target in aggro list by 5% for selected enemy, medium range. 2 mp, 5 sec cd.
- Cooldown ability Battle Song: opens songs for casting in the battle for 5 seconds. Each used song applies corresponding chord to all targets in small AoE around affected target, but damage is halved. 20 mp, 60 sec cd.

Just my humble opinion. But do not underestimate option 3.
Yeah, it will require more thoughts on realization and understanding, but will add more variety and character control than other two.

And what is complicated in this concept? I just try to breakdown all details about it. In two words it will look like:
[...]
The problem with solution 3 is that it only fixes the hotkey issue, but none of the other problems, which are imho more important than the hotkeys.

And yeah, why not allow to switch abilities when player not in a battle? Just remove summons/buffs for removed ability, and enable cooldown for added ability (it's just a shortcut for calling a real ability, so you can activate it freely after adding). Then special NPC for clearing slots isn't required. Plus this will gracefully solve problem with utility skills.
This would be asymmetrical and will skew the class balance in favour of characters that have many buffs/summons.

Just a little bit of criticism:
- Only 4 ability buttons until level 25 (with old system player will have 5-7 abilities after d1 and 8-9 after job change -> more fun and tactical decisions)
- Feels a bit cheap (yet another wc3 rpg with skills learned via skillbook)
As I said, some sacrifices have to be made, after all. And tbh if you have 4 skills or 5 skills (in case you don't happen to find your scrolls until level 25... which happens) won't make much of a difference in the end.

- Doesn't solve problem with situational spells (just will require talent reset -> more time/money waste)
It does, if the spells are grouped intelligently. Skill choices of a specific tier only have to be balanced out against each other, not in general.

- Some choices are required for game progression (heal for cleric's job quest, shield slam for squire)
True; but this was always the case anyway. BoL for example made the cleric quest much easier, but not all clerics even got the scroll until level 25. At least now people can get the spell on demand, so that kind of balances it out.

- Removes dungeon/world boss ability scroll farm (yep I always say that current scroll drop is pure grinding, but it's add more sense to boss hunting)
- Makes some talent choices useless.
This is true. But none of the solutions is perfect; I never said that.
Talents will always be subject to frequent changes anyway, as more skills get added to the game.

- Just guess, but I think combos will make total mess in the spellbook because button order is based on cache as you mention earlier.
Example (* is used ability): A1*, B1, C1, D1 >> B1, C1*, D1, A2 >> B1, D1, A2, C2
Yes, this is a problem, albeit at least a fixable one.

And a bit about Out Of Combat abilities.
OOC for summoning feels a bit restrictive, but pretty cool for "stealth/into the shades".

OOC for bard songs sound interesting, but unfinished, how I see it:
Songs cooldown increased to 2 seconds.
In battle each song replaced with a chord:
- Song of Vigor -> Chord of Might: APx2 physical damage to target in melee range. 2 mp, 5 sec cd.
- Song of Elements -> Chord of Magic: SPx2 magic damage to target in medium range. 2 mp, 5 sec cd.
- Song of Peace -> Chord of Peace: reduces aggro of second target in aggro list by 5% for selected enemy, medium range. 2 mp, 5 sec cd.
- Cooldown ability Battle Song: opens songs for casting in the battle for 5 seconds. Each used song applies corresponding chord to all targets in small AoE around affected target, but damage is halved. 20 mp, 60 sec cd.
This would be asymmetrical design. Bards would effectively gain two skills for the cost of one. I can already see the players in bursting into tears.

Level 9
I still think chains would be the best option. But, I think a better system, mostly only with the spammable spells, and maybe lower cd spells, would be you start off with the basic spam spell such as fireball, which then turns into incinerate for like 3-5 seconds, then some new spell just there for space, then when incinerate is on CD you just keep casting fireball, however I have no idea if thats possible with the wc3 engine.

I do see problems with that if you don't want to cast incinerate, but you should also have other spells/chains at your disposal while incinerate is up over fireball.

Also I really feel like remedy and Nature's Blessing for Druid need to be separated regardless of what happens with chains because Druid really needs to have Nature's Blessing as an emergency heal in case someone takes a huge spike of damage while you're preoccupied with the tank or if the tank starts taking a huge increase in damage like Alchemist's enrage.

Level 8
I know there will be a lot of balancing and other issues to face with Solution 1 but... I believe it will make the gameplay more dynamic and interesting. Solution 2 is cleaner but I'm afraid the mutually exclusive thing will simply boil down to 1 superior build and maybe 1 alternate build just like how the stats thing used to be.

It will be an absolute pain to make the choices equal. Damn near impossible for utility heroes. Would I have to choose between 2 songs or hymns? I would hate that, and if not then its song/hymn vs literally anything else you know what the answer is going to be.

Level 5
Possible Solution after Border

I cant vote for any of these systems cause they really don't fix anything. They just add more problems.
I want to be able to use all my abilities, when I so desire.

Chains would require massive changes to abilities like you all said. But what do we base it off? Bosses? PvE elements? Whats most convenient for the original setup?

Talents wouldn't work. You cant force someone to chose between crucial abilities that fit into whatever the player wants to play.

3rd option is just for polishing the current system. has no real change.

All in all, I haven't been able to suggest anything due to lack of ideas. But I think that the best way to fix the current system. Is to just redo the abilities and redo talents in such a way that they turn into viable build paths.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So right now, the talent tree is designed as pick one of 3 options. With Each selection being a certain benefit towards a certain play style. So right away, some talents will not be used because of superior build paths.

so If you were to make talents upgrade abilities for certain bonuses to distinguished your build or playstyle. then you would have viable talent selections with viable abilities that can have purpose throughout the game as a whole.
Sort of how zwieb made the lvl 25 squire talent give taunt dmg capabilities. Like it made this single purpose pulling off ally spell into a decent dmg dealing aggro gen spell.

But this wouldn't be for one spell or have far gaps in scaling. No this would be for almost every ability that can be defined as either underpowered or non favorable. And, abilities can be further upgraded to refine it. Build paths can be separated and each one has a fulfilling purpose. Plus it wouldn't be overpowering them since it just makes them more usable in every fight and not adding to what they already have.

Bear with me on this
Just an Example....
level is just assumed. Creating a build path is what im intending here.
*lvl 5 squire with taunt hateful strike and parry

Talent choices:
Choice 1: Taunt now lasts for 5 secs and deals 1 X Sp.
Choice 2: Hateful Strike now deals aoe dmg with two hand equipped.
Choice 3: Parry chance to absorb is now 20%, and reflects 50% back to attacker.

So, you want to be that hold aggro tank? choice 1 for you.
Berserker build? choice 2.
Tanky solo dmg dealer? Choice 3.

And as you go up in levels they just highlight on the paths more. The usual talents are still there if anything. albeit with changes and adjustments. But the free flow selection with viable upgrades would make those seeming useless abilities favorable.

and with the spell limit restriction, it would make people consider what they would want. and not just,"i don't need dispel, ill just get waterglobes" No it should be, "Dispel gives this *bonus* effect with this talent that's super useful, and i can sacrifice an ability for it" (though dispel probably needs to be redone either way).

Though ofc, we need more brainstorming for this. Hopefully i made my example clear enough.

Level 8
That is literally the first talent system we had which had 3 paths like Lorekeeper Bard... and with that we'll have the same pseudo-choices... also, how does this fix the overskill/hotkeys issue exactly? AFAICS this is just a talent overhaul (or backhaul) suggestion. You said you want access to all your skills, so I'm guessing you want the spell system to stay as is when this is a thread to change that. We can't effectively maintain the status quo when more skills start rolling in.

Level 1
That is literally the first talent system we had which had 3 paths like Lorekeeper Bard... and with that we'll have the same pseudo-choices... also, how does this fix the overskill/hotkeys issue exactly? AFAICS this is just a talent overhaul (or backhaul) suggestion. You said you want access to all your skills, so I'm guessing you want the spell system to stay as is when this is a thread to change that. We can't effectively maintain the status quo when more skills start rolling in.

who are you talking to?

Level 5
Another point of view

Did I fail to mention that these "Ability Upgrade Talents" would be separate from the actual character talents themselves. So you still can add flat bonuses to your character and strategically upgrade an ability that you use for your playstyle.

Also, the lorekeeper bard was just a farm item talent that you can acquire. Doesn't affect gameplay whatsoever. Don't see how its similar to actual Gameplay effecting abilities. besides wasn't that a lvl 5 talent back then?

And hotkeys are not really an issue. Just a convenience factor. Besides, with how abilities are regardless of their numbers, having all available would make this too easy in my eyes. Most fun thing about this game was that it was hard and challenging. That's what gaming is...

anyways,
I'm saying to upgrade abilities that are useful in situation X, to useful in all situations, but you will have a definite trade-off for such capability.
So as long as we can keep ability upgrades build paths separate, I see viable playstyles.

Like a magician may want to go utility path, so he can upgrade dispel and frost cage into something very usable in almost every fight. and he may not have awesome dps capabilities but he would have something dps mages wont have. Though dps mages (either sorc or necro) would have either burst or sustain capability but lack actual utility that matters.

Last thing, this was a long term discussion thread that zwieb changed to a poll. Maybe to see what people are really preferring out of these 3 solutions and probably because of the lack of ideal solutions. Im hoping that this may be considered and that by implementing something like it, it can potentially fix underpowered abilities.

Level 1
Like a magician may want to go utility path, so he can upgrade dispel and frost cage into something very usable in almost every fight. and he may not have awesome dps capabilities but he would have something dps mages wont have. Though dps mages (either sorc or necro) would have either burst or sustain capability but lack actual utility that matters.

This is how i play my necro.

Level 8
Did I fail to mention that these "Ability Upgrade Talents" would be separate from the actual character talents themselves. So you still can add flat bonuses to your character and strategically upgrade an ability that you use for your playstyle.

This wasn't stated in your previous post. Problem is, most talents currently improve a specific skill over another so I still fail to see what use there is to adding (in practicality) a dual talent system that have many overlaps. I get the feeling you have an original idea but not stating it clearly enough that people can understand what you want to do. Do you want heroes to have access to all skills or do you want to keep the current 9 limit? Do you want to buff heroes or just focus their builds?

Also, the lorekeeper bard was just a farm item talent that you can acquire. Doesn't affect gameplay whatsoever. Don't see how its similar to actual Gameplay effecting abilities. besides wasn't that a lvl 5 talent back then?

I guess it has been a long time so you don't remember. Originally the talent system started at lvl 25 with the max at lvl46 (I believe there were 7 for each path, even I can't remember such specifics. There were talent paths for each advanced class. You had to pick talents in a path in order to unlock the next talent in that path, effectively going down a specific build to get to certain high level talents. Lorekeeper Bard was just one of the talent paths for Bard that ended with the lvl46 talent for doubledrop chance.

And hotkeys are not really an issue. Just a convenience factor. Besides, with how abilities are regardless of their numbers, having all available would make this too easy in my eyes. Most fun thing about this game was that it was hard and challenging. That's what gaming is...

While I have no issues with hotkeys as they are (never had a problem even though I play all classes) this is probably not true for casual players. I personally don't need a change for hotkeys BUT one of the reasons zwieb launched this thread was to improve the way hotkeys are laid out, if he thinks that it is an issue then I'm sure he's gotten enough complaints to warrant it. As far as difficulty is concerned, I'm actually getting tired of saying this - inconvenience does not equal difficulty. This should be obvious - difficulty lies in hero nerfs and boss encounters NOT in making the interface cumbersome for the casual player.

anyways,
I'm saying to upgrade abilities that are useful in situation X, to useful in all situations, but you will have a definite trade-off for such capability.
So as long as we can keep ability upgrades build paths separate, I see viable playstyles.

But there are already viable alternate playstyles. The problem is that "viable" is usually not good enough. Your thinking is proof enough, cookie-cutter builds are so easy and effective that other builds just don't get used much at all - and if they do then that player is not pulling his weight. I understand you want something like a berserker having access to an equally effective tanking build... but in that case why not just play something like Crusader?

Last thing, this was a long term discussion thread that zwieb changed to a poll. Maybe to see what people are really preferring out of these 3 solutions and probably because of the lack of ideal solutions. Im hoping that this may be considered and that by implementing something like it, it can potentially fix underpowered abilities.

There's nothing to implement from your post though, nothing new or clearly thought out and planned/explained anyway - I'm not trying to shut you down though, if anything I want you to expand your post and give a full talent+skill system build for 1 class to show how it would work and why its better than any of the current options (more choice is always good). Rather you should say, "Zwieb I'm not happy with any of these so give us time to add options". As zwieb said, this is for way in the future so I doubt he's going to set anything in stone right now. Maybe there'll come a time when he makes it possible for players to select and switch between Spell Systems.

Level 3
I agreed on TooMuch because I don't want chained abilities or having to choose 1 from 2 core abilities, I also don't know what problems are there with the hotkeys so that's why I voted the 3rd choice even though I don't care about hotkeys. I would want talents to really impact on skills that aren't the normal choices in order to create a build and not having to go for the cookie-cutter build as always.

Level 5
Well first off let me say that I remember the talents from long ago. when I said lvl 5 talent I meant the last tier talent that was considered lvl 5. But even so, all the previous talents beforehand 1-4 did not focus on loot playstyle.

I was hoping that you all would understand that I was talking about a possible solution for the current ability limit system. I believed I reiterated that in my previous post. I don't want all abilities, I want to be limited. I want to build my build, and lose out on either dmg, tankiness, or utility accordingly. Not have all 3 at my disposal. Might as well make a Super hero class. Don't make the same mistake WoW made. don't worry, healers can kill you, but you cant kill them.

lol, you're getting tired of saying that huh? then stop saying it, cause I did not say this inconvenience with the layout makes it harder. Rearranging hotkeys isn't the problem. How many hotkeys are left is the problem.
What I'm saying is that instead of trying to give everything to everyone, give people the incentive to pick select spells they want and upgrade or modify.

Besides why satisfy the casual player? What has the casual player ever done for any game? and what casual player has stayed on this game after being grinded by one of you older players? That's a trick question, the players who stayed are not casual. Casuals leave cause everything isn't given to them. I want it harder, but also want to keep the unique elements in this game. Giving all the abilities and making the layout simpler (how simpler can it get?), doesn't make it harder or more fun really.

You forget that aggro generation was the topic and that tanky crusader with int was weak. GA ofc made it viable, but then you were forced to go that.
And you fail to remember what I was all about in the past. I had a different setup with the stat point system, and it wasn't just a viable build. It was better than your cookie cutter builds and I out did the original meta you all had going. I didn't need mana pots, I didn't need massive health. I had more tankiness with my crusader and sustainability than the lot of you had. But don't you worry, Zwieb fixed the cd reset affecting mana pots. lol

And my bad, I used implement when I should've said, consider this idea and lets try as a community to offer reasonable ability talents that would make non-viable abilities viable.

And yes I know that a good amount of the talents already buff certain abilities, but how many of them do you actually go? How many are actual trade-offs? i.e. that talent at later levels for a longer taunt is pretty darn good wouldn't you say?

Separate ability talents and add some that offer viable build styles. So in the long run, you'll have a more diverse talent selection with usable abilities.

You are right on one thing though, I haven't been able to give an actual detailed description of what this system would look like and how the talents themselves would be like and what would they give. Though, im more than willing to try making a setup. But im sure you understand it wont be easy to make right away.

And if my post from above didn't made itself clear then here.
I cant agree on these three options cause they do more harm than good for this game. I talked some about why this is the case, and im hoping to make that clear. We need more possible solutions, in reality most of the older players haven't checked gaias in a while. I haven't seen them lately...

Level 1
Besides why satisfy the casual player? What has the casual player ever done for any game? and what casual player has stayed on this game after being grinded by one of you older players? That's a trick question, the players who stayed are not casual. Casuals leave cause everything isn't given to them. I want it harder, but also want to keep the unique elements in this game. Giving all the abilities and making the layout simpler (how simpler can it get?), doesn't make it harder or more fun really.

Exactly. Its not like Gaias has ever been for casuals. I dont know why we should care for casuals now.

Generally i agree with your way of thinking.

Level 21
TooMuch expressed what I failed to - I don't feel like the two first options really solve anything. They just change things. I chose the third option because it has some benefit, while the others are just... different and don't really fix more problems than they create.

Level 8
What are you people thinking? If the map doesn't keep the casual player in mind, we'll get no new players. As it is, the gaias player base is tiny, you think we can really afford to make this an elitist map? You have to think of what the average player can handle when it comes to interface and systems. As far as people not playing the map anymore after level and gear max... yeah. In general, that is supposed to happen. Gaias does not yet have a replayability system like legendary dungeon mode yet.

Xonok, those 2 solutions aren't meant to solve anything. They are to prevent future issues such as not being able to carry enough abilities in 1 spellbook and mass hotkeys that don't conform to the grid. You chose option 3 because it helps now... but when more spells are implement it will be pointless.

Level 1
What are you people thinking? If the map doesn't keep the casual player in mind, we'll get no new players. As it is, the gaias player base is tiny, you think we can really afford to make this an elitist map? You have to think of what the average player can handle when it comes to interface and systems. As far as people not playing the map anymore after level and gear max... yeah. In general, that is supposed to happen. Gaias does not yet have a replayability system like legendary dungeon mode yet.

Xonok, those 2 solutions aren't meant to solve anything. They are to prevent future issues such as not being able to carry enough abilities in 1 spellbook and mass hotkeys that don't conform to the grid. You chose option 3 because it helps now... but when more spells are implement it will be pointless.

New players were/are coming into the game all the time. And compare to other maps Gaias has huge replayability. Especially now with the Soul system.

anyways,
All this lengthy explanations are useless unless you can give specific examples on how you would make these upgrades so that situational spells are always useful?

I can already see spells like dispel (which is btw a very bad example, since it's actually a frequently used spell and not one of the underdogs) becoming weird abominations with dozens of extra effects just to fix a balancing that was never meant to be there in the first place.

Situationals are meant to be situationals. However, the current skill system punishes you for selecting a situational by having to give up a general purpose ability instead.
That is what solution 1 and 2 are trying to fix. It's not (only) about the hotkeys.

So far, all I can extract from your posts is: "there is not a problem if the balancing is right".
The thing is: Balancing isn't just an on-off thing. If you balance for the sake of making everything equal value all the time, then you end up with dozens of abilities that all look and feel the same.
Blizzard did this in WoW at the end of Burning Crusade by merging many effects into common buffs/debuffs. This effectively destroyed all uniqueness of the specific classes and builds. A Shadowpriest could be replaced with a Retribution Paladin, etc.
Let's not apply the same fallacy here.

Level 21
And as my ignored post a few pages ago said, it's not necessary to make a complex system just to fix that flaw. You say it doesn't solve the problem, but neither do the first 2 options. They just delay it by reducing content. You could achieve nearly the same result by just removing abilities, but we all can agree that wouldn't be good.
Also, both of those options reduce the amount of hotkeys to less than 9. In this case the spellbook is utterly pointless, since you can put 8 abilities in the command card and thus, don't have to put up with the bs that spellbooks bring.

EDIT: Situationals are by their definition useless in many cases. This is kinda what situational means. If they are not good enough in those special situations to outweigh the general uselessness, then that's the problem.

And as my ignored post a few pages ago said, it's not necessary to make a complex system just to fix that flaw. You say it doesn't solve the problem, but neither do the first 2 options. They just delay it by reducing content. You could achieve nearly the same result by just removing abilities, but we all can agree that wouldn't be good.
You missed the main point then, because they DO fix the problems we have:
Solution 1 allows you having all spells, which means the problem of underdog abilities is pretty much gone.
Solution 2 groups spells together by general themes and basicly prevents the player from making cookie-cutter builds. Having to decide between a damage spell and a utility spell is mostly a no-brainer. But deciding between two utility spells is a meaningful choice.
Also, both solutions allow expandability on future abilities. I can always add more options at each skill choice in solution 2. And solution 1 doesn't have a skill limit anyway, so there is full expandability all the time.

Just to clarify - the idea behind solution 2 is basicly:
"I can not balance ability A with all other abilities simply because it is too different in purpose. However, I can balance ability A with ability B."

Also, both of those options reduce the amount of hotkeys to less than 9. In this case the spellbook is utterly pointless, since you can put 8 abilities in the command card and thus, don't have to put up with the bs that spellbooks bring.
Yes, that is an option. Currently, I don't plan on removing the spellbook simply because I got used to it. But it's nice to have the option to do so.

EDIT: Situationals are by their definition useless in many cases. This is kinda what situational means. If they are not good enough in those special situations to outweigh the general uselessness, then that's the problem.
That's not the problem. The problem is that there is no middle ground in balancing for these spells:
If they are too weak, players will just ignore them and beat the encounters anyway. If they are too strong, then these skills will become mandatory to beat an encounter and players would just respec all the time.

Both can be avoided with solution 1 and 2. In 1, players have access to these spells anyway. And in 2, players are forced to create "balanced" builds and can not simply discard a utility choice for another popular spell X to create cookie cutter builds.

Level 21
Option 1 completely removes the choice of what abilities to pick, so classes become cookie-cutter by design. Need I even say more?
Option 2 is a bit less radical in the sense that it doesn't exactly remove all choices, but I do think that being able to choose whether I want utility spells is very beneficial.
By your description it doesn't really seem like utility spells are liked. If the utility alone is too binary, then there are choices. You can gate it with some mechanics. You can give the spell additional uses that don't really help with the utility part, so there'd be a choice of what you want to use the ability for. There's plenty of ways to gate utility, although not the same ways that you'd use for something like damage.
Again, what choice 2 does is that it fixes an apparent problem that I've never even felt exists and does so by taking away things that I do care about, such as extreme customization.

Level 7
Option 1 puts the onus on the player to play their character effectively, rather than make decisions effectively. I don't see why we shouldn't have access to all of the skills. How you actually effectively manage to play your character is where your "customization" comes into play.

On top of this, if we combine it with option two in a sort of way, you can really make alternative builds more viable. Such as forcing to pick between AOE intelligence Crusader, or selecting skills that suit a single target strength build instead.

The problem lies within the future when we get more and more spells. We can sort of have the best of both worlds right now with 11 spells. When we get 14 we may be in a "Decent" area to actually build something more specific, but what after that? What happens if we get to 20 spells to choose from? We're going to be required to be respecing ALL of the time if we want to use all of the spells available to us. Especially since, as Zwieb pointed out, balancing these spells together is going to get ridiculous. We'll end up replacing crucify with some stronger AOE spell, and essentially create a ton of dead content spells.

Option 1 is really the only way to truly generate a future-proof system that allows for us to continually get progression, without creating a ton of useless dead previous content. Your actual play style comes into play, rather than pre-emptive decision making, and should hopefully make encounters much more difficult and strategic. Im really not sure where the disapproval or downside comes from.

Level 1
Option 1 puts the onus on the player to play their character effectively, rather than make decisions effectively. I don't see why we shouldn't have access to all of the skills. How you actually effectively manage to play your character is where your "customization" comes into play.

On top of this, if we combine it with option two in a sort of way, you can really make alternative builds more viable. Such as forcing to pick between AOE intelligence Crusader, or selecting skills that suit a single target strength build instead.

The problem lies within the future when we get more and more spells. We can sort of have the best of both worlds right now with 11 spells. When we get 14 we may be in a "Decent" area to actually build something more specific, but what after that? What happens if we get to 20 spells to choose from? We're going to be required to be respecing ALL of the time if we want to use all of the spells available to us. Especially since, as Zwieb pointed out, balancing these spells together is going to get ridiculous. We'll end up replacing crucify with some stronger AOE spell, and essentially create a ton of dead content spells.

Option 1 is really the only way to truly generate a future-proof system that allows for us to continually get progression, without creating a ton of useless dead previous content. Your actual play style comes into play, rather than pre-emptive decision making, and should hopefully make encounters much more difficult and strategic. Im really not sure where the disapproval or downside comes from.

Choosing 9 or 11 skills out of 20 is OK! 20 isnt that many. Thats the beauty of it, you get to chooose.
PLUS. In the very future Zwieb could mostly focus on adding different upgrades for skills via talents instead of adding new skills. So for example we could have 3 different upgrades for Revenge. And the same for every skill (this is why i prefer we dont choose skills via talents).
Also as i said in one of my previous comments. I think skills shouldnt be added according to the bossess' encouters because THIS will force ppl to choose specific skills and ignore other.

Level 7
Choosing 9 or 11 skills out of 20 is OK! 20 isnt that many. Thats the beauty of it, you get to chooose.
PLUS. In the very future Zwieb could mostly focus on adding different upgrades for skills via talents instead of adding new skills. So for example we could have 3 different upgrades for Revenge. And the same for every skill (this is why i prefer we dont choose skills via talents).
Also as i said in one of my previous comments. I think skills shouldnt be added according to the bossess' encouters because THIS will force ppl to choose specific skills and ignore other.

You don't get to "choose" though. Many of the abilities will simply work out to do the same thing as a previous skill, but better or worse. Or the skill will simply become too convoluted to bother with.

I don't understand why you want skills to be upgraded via the talent system. You're so limited within the level frame of the game. Everyone will get to level 50 rather easily as soon as new content comes out. All progression will cease to exist after level 50 if you limit yourself to the talent system. Progression is more important than fake "choices".

Also, I really don't understand your point in adding skills according to boss encounters. Clearly Zwieb isn't going to design a boss that requires one specific skill to defeat it. All skills need to serve a purpose within boss encounters however, as thats really the only thing to do in the game. Where else are we supposed to use skills? For staring at random sheep on the map?

Level 7
I did. It makes no sense. People can respec and repick if they don't get the item they want from a certain boss encounter. Forcing "choices" doesn't fit the map.

Level 5
uhh boxoffaith... you're not reading. He said shouldn't be based off of boss encounters...

though lets make this clear, im not asking to upgrade abilities so that they can have numerous additional effects. I'm saying we upgrade a current ability effectiveness so that it is not just thrown to the side. underdogs are underdogs because they are practically easily overshadowed with different tactics.

Dispell not an underdog? eh I never needed it...

For example, I can solo lady carimedaz (if I spelled it right) with a crusader and not need dispel or an off tank. just because of a different tactic used. So how can we make an underdog (besides dispel) a top dog when it still can be ignored through gameplay alone? Even though it may be a skill factor.

besides, playing your character effectively is knowing your role in the fight.
just because someone may have all the abilities at their disposal doesn't mean they will be effective. Ive seen too many healers trying to do dmg then actually heal (in the past and now) just because they feel like mend and shield are good enough and because everyone else is not doing enough dmg.

Now don't get me wrong , im not trying to spur on the argument (discussion) here.

I'm trying to understand how giving everyone all the abilities would make underdogs not an underdog. Especially if abilities in talent choices makes it more so situation dependent. solution 1 is just a free respec, really. Solution 2 is still situational speccing. Its still just there and the problem that you all say is there remains. especially if you force the user to use it to just get to another. (chains)

Im trying to get a setup together here, to show you the possible upgrades im talking about. But I think we all need some more info regarding these underdog abilities.

A list would help, so we all know what you are looking at. And how situational they actually are. I believe the real problem derives from pvp to pve aspects. Most bosses in rpgs are un interruptable anyways, and you cant even stun them. Frost cage, very situational and useless.

But what of an upgrade? make frost cage an aoe freeze with a cd on one of the ability upgrade talents? Controls spawns and not too op with many debuffs. you don't even have to have it, but someone may want to spec to utility... isn't that the point? The point of having true customization.

Level 7
It makes them not an underdog by allowing them to exist as part of the play style. Theres honestly only so many situations you can even create through out the game that give niche values any sort of actual niche. Making too many spells interruptable just leads to encounters becoming too easy, not having enough spells to interrupt results in the interrupt on skills to become a pointless addition. It gets exceptionally tricky when trying to balance these things when you can stack multiple of the same class in encounters. Balancing Assassin interrupts for soloing is easy enough, but whats the point if you can take two Assassins into the fight and cheese your way through the encounter by rotating the interrupts anyway.

Perhaps if you could come up with examples of mechanics for future encounters, combined with potential skill upgrades via the talent system, but until I see it, I'll continue to think that progression should trump "customization" because I really don't think customization will ever truly exist within a save/load Wc3 map. I honestly think you're trying to hard to be different for the sake of different, and you're really throwing out potentially interesting dynamic gameplay through the window just so you can pretend your choices matter.

Level 3
I would want merc's commands to be removed from the spellbook and let us have 11 skills to choose from all that there are, and just buff some skills to be (more) useful and people can get them in their builds. Besides, why would we want 20 skills, is this WoW or what?

I just don't like chain spells or having to choose them like talents.:ogre_frown:

Level 3
SyaikoDeMoN if people had real legal versions of wc3. there shouldn't problems instead of going too bnet people are finding other ways to play illegally instead of going on bnet. thus you have all these group playing in different rooms, for me its not worth going garena or some other option thus I don't play with half of you. im surprised blizzard hasn't gone against these illegitimate versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.