• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

On spamable spells (Cleric & Magician)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently thinking about turning the spamable cleric and magician attack spells into something less annoying to play, especially in terms of mobility and server lag.

There are basicly two different solutions I was thinking about:

1) Turn Fireball, Water Globes, Lightning Charge and Soul Strike into auto-cast abilities and leave them mostly unchanged otherwise.

2) Replace the mentioned spells by on-Attack abilities similar to fire/cold arrow of PotM and Naga Seawitch heroes. The cooldown of these abilities would be similar to the cast time they had before and spellhaste would affect the cooldown of these abilities instead. Damage would be slightly reduced to compensate for the increased mobility in terms of balancing (as you can move and auto-attack during the cooldown).

Thoughts?

khj

khj

Level 2
Since I love mobile heroes, I'd like to see the 2nd option. Also, I think auto-cast abilities won't make it any less annoying to play.

Level 7
Slightly concerned about how this turns the classes into the same playstyle as one another. Being nothing but an auto attacker seems kinda meh. I don't know, maybe skills in general need a bit better synergizing to add a bit more depth to playing the characters.

I'd rather the issue of how superior the caster classes are currently in term of their DPS. Hunter Debuffs are pretty neat, and can be fun to play with, but why would anyone pick some fun debuffs when you can just power through the bosses with twice the DPS as a sorcerer?

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I love both ideas. Casters have long been annoying me for the reasons you mentioned Zwieb - Especially Sorc and Necro.

I have another idea as well:
Make these spells instant cast. Spellpower determines cooldown. Missile speed of the spells reduced. This means that you can fire the spells, but it will take 0.5-1,5 seconds, depending on distance/Travel time, to hit the target.

Last edited:
Level 5
Imo the on-spammable spells determine a caster as a caster.If you make em on-attack proc you will kill the characters uniqueness imo.You will be making em like monks or psions.As of your other idea you can implement autocast but deffinitely dont make it a must cause for some people recasting manually is still fun

Level 2
Just wanted to say that, whatever change might happen, it doesn't turn some spellcasters into auto-attack characters. That means players should do something right to optimize their damage output even during most peaceful periods of fights where all you can do is stand and cast to do damage. This is why I'm against any sort of auto-attack type of thing to make your character do the work for you when movement is not required. There are characters like that already players can pick if they prefer that kind of style with more auto-attacking and occasional casting of spells. Personally I like current design, at least you should play otherwise boring spamming character actively to optimize dps.

Last edited:
Level 3
I agree with people who said that #2 would make caster become somewhat similar to auto-attacker. For me, right click on target makes magician start channeling a spamable spell of choice would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.