• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Questions about ASPD and Spell Haste mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I just want to clarify the game mechanics. Correct me if wrong.

Attack Speed
General mechanics. Is it correct?
- Warcraft 3 operates with attack cooldowns. So unit with 2.0 attack speed will do 5 attacks during 10-second interval.
- Total attack speed value is additive. So buffs +20%, +30% and debuff -40% will give you 10% attack speed increase.
- Attack speed formula looks like:
Attack_speed = Base_attack_speed / (("Percent increase or decrease" / 100) + 1)
Thus we obtain: 100% - 1 extra attack within fixed interval or 50% attack cooldown reduction, 200% - 2 extra attacks or 67% cd reduction, etc. Therefore, damage bonus diminishes with each additional attack speed %.
Conversely, a decrease in attack speed will strongly influence total damage: -50% - attack cooldown doubled, 80% - attack cooldown increased five times (with 2.0 example it will be 1 attack during 10-second interval).

Now Gaias mechanics.
- 100% attack speed will add 1 extra attack like standart mechanics?
- All equipment/skill/talent attack speed bonuses are additive, or some of them multiplicative? (side note: idea for talent - increase ASPD gain from item bonuses by 50%)

Spell Haste
Cast system is awesome. But it leaves some questions about balancing.
- Spell Haste directly reduces spell casting time? For example: 10 sec casting time of Resurrection reduced to 7 sec with 30% haste and to 2 sec with 80%?
- Each additional % in spell haste is more valuable? With 30% haste you can cast 8,5 resurrections over 1 minute (42% additional casts) and with 80% it increases to 30 resurrections (400% additional casts, five times more than base spell).
- With 100% spell haste will all casts become instant? What will happen if you collect 101% spell haste?
- At Spell Haste values close to 100% instant casting is limited with spell cooldowns. But what will happen if you use successively several 0.5 sec cd spells? (fireball + water globes + lightning charge)
- Does this make high level item balancing harder?

I want to say that in its current form spell haste can be very overpowered. Yes, it is limited by the amount of mana, but opportunities for burst damage increases very fast after 50% spell haste.

What if use attack speed formula for spell haste? Yes, this will require increase spell haste at items and in AGI formula at least twice. But this will make casters more balanced and cast times more important part of the game. Also, it will make cast speed reduction skills more efficient.

The idea about spell haste is not bad; but it's more or less just changing the scale. Your suggestion would mean that 100% spellhaste equals half casting time and 200% spellhaste equals one third of casting time. It basicly results in the same ... just on a much larger scale. Which means I could also just change the multiplier in the formula for the same effect.

Level 7
... It basicly results in the same ...
Wrong. I will show you the difference:

Current system reduces cast time with linear formula: CurrentHasteCastingReduction.png and this affects damage per second in this way CurrentHasteDamageIncreasing.png.

Attackspeed like formula will affect cast time in this way: AlternativeHasteCastingReduction.png and total damage will change linear AlternativeHasteDamageIncreasing.png.

As you can see new formula scales better with total damage.

Old system
Pros:
- already implemented
- casters can feel them OP with high values :)
Cons:
- encourages stacking spell haste
- high values makes caster OP in comparison with melee damagers
- require always keep in mind max acceptable value when creating new items.
- limits spell haste increasing buffs as they become too OP with high base Spell Haste
- low scaling with base stats and low values on items make it almost useless on low-mid levels.

New system
Pros:
- spell haste gain equivalent to other stats in effectiveness
- AGI spell haste gain formula can be increased to give a greater sense of moving forward with stat items. (as well as attack speed gain)
- you can use spell haste boosting buffs without fear of breaking balance.
- easier to make new items, because too much haste will not break the balance. (within reasonable limits ofc)
Cons:
- requires a change in the formula
- requires improvement of all items with Spell Haste

Ah, I guess I see the problem now. The problem with spellhaste is that is rises DPS exponentially. Good point. I will change the formula in the next update to match how attack speed works. It's not like that takes a lot of effort. ;)

So basicly 100% haste means double casting speed instead of 0 cast time.

Level 7
Ah, I guess I see the problem now. The problem with spellhaste is that is rises DPS exponentially. Good point. I will change the formula in the next update to match how attack speed works. It's not like that takes a lot of effort. ;)

So basicly 100% haste means double casting speed instead of 0 cast time.
Hooray to the balanced stats! :)
I'm just worry that without an increase in AGI spell haste gain and adjusting it on items we will see hard (50%+) cast time nerf. I mean with current itemization haste will be worst stat compared to crit/sp because of small values on items.

Accordingly, will you remove 0.5 seconds minimum cast time cap [THREAD=259846]mentioned in this thread[/THREAD]? Because achieve such low casting time will be really hard. This cast time can be achieved only for Bishop's Flash of Light with 200% spell haste. But if Bishop somehow collect 225% spell haste why not reduce cast time to 0,465? This value is still far from instant.

Last edited:
Level 6
ive always wondered about the spell haste thing. i think it was intended. altho it really is imba that haste boosts so much at higher values. thats why i went with an agi type bish, to heal fast enough during emergency situations, and to DPS alot too. By putting points on agi, i removed my points on Int, but it is worth it. i did my job better as a heal/dps, i think

Status
Not open for further replies.