• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Psionic blade ability steal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
You don't necessarily steal the ability you target. This is pretty game breaking as the stolen spell is different but have the costs of what you targetted. So you can have Divine Shield with 7MP cost and no cooldown.

Cleric

Flash of Light --> Divine Shield
Divine Shield --> Steel Body (no effect)
Mend --> Plane Shift
Symbol of Fury --> Fireball
Heal --> Soul Strike

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
You don't necessarily steal the ability you target. This is pretty game breaking as the stolen spell is different but have the costs of what you targetted. So you can have Divine Shield with 7MP cost and no cooldown.

Cleric

Flash of Light --> Divine Shield
Divine Shield --> Steel Body (no effect)
Mend --> Plane Shift
Symbol of Fury --> Fireball
Heal --> Soul Strike
I'll look into this. Thanks for mapping it out.

EDIT: Found it... gonna be fixed asap.

Level 7
Same with 2h abilities for Berserkers :p. I dont think its much of an issue, as you can just re-use the blade and steal a different ability, so it just comes down to asking someone to use the ability you actually want. Not sure Zwieb needs to disallow stealing of useless abilities.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Same with 2h abilities for Berserkers :p. I dont think its much of an issue, as you can just re-use the blade and steal a different ability, so it just comes down to asking someone to use the ability you actually want. Not sure Zwieb needs to disallow stealing of useless abilities.
Hint: Staves count as 2H weapons...

Thanks for trying out Psionic Blade so hard... I really need lots of data on this; I never tested all the possible combinations and synergies, so I really rely on the community here to catch all the corner cases on this ability. Stuff like this is really helpful!

And yes, if an ability turns out useless when stolen; report this.
I'm still a bit conflicted wether to disable these abilities, though.
This is one of the rare cases in which convenience actually contradicts consistency. Consistency in design demands that all spells (except summoning spells who are specifically mentioned as exceptions) should be stealable, regardless of if they make sense or not. Convenience demands that only those should be stealable that do make sense (spells that don't require invalid gear components).
It's a matter of preference, tbh.

Feel free to express an oppinion on this. Both directions are valid imho.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
In my opinion, the restrictions on the different class spells are good. The Psion already has access to a plethora of different spells and I don't think the more "class specific" ones like Bladefury and bard songs, shield bash, etc. need to be added to this selection (if they don't make sense restrictions-wise that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.