• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Add a Ready Button on the hero command bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Often before starting a boss, we need to check who is ready. Now instead of flooding chat with "ready/+/rdy/go" I thought about adding a "Ready" ability.

This ability simply plays the sound file fit for each basic class (of course they will also work on the advanced) classes:

Cleric: CaptainWhat1.wav
Ranger: ShandrisWhat1.wav
Magician: DruidOfTheTalonWhat2.wav
Squire: FootmanReady1.wav
Mystic: RunnerReady1.wav
Thief: HuntressWhat2.wav

It should have 5 seconds cooldown to prevent annoying spammers. Would be fun to finally have voices for our chars and it even serves a purpose.

Level 8
Not that I hate the idea of some sort of ready feature, but I have some concerns:
  • Where would the skill be placed? The main card slots are all used and we've already sacrificed the Hold Position skill. It would have to go in Game Options which is pretty inconvenient.
  • If there's more than one of the same class, it would probably cause confusion to use sounds
  • In games with separate groups, it would be spammy to see a ready note for players who aren't even anywhere near you

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Obviously there will also be the floating text as usual guys (which already exists for every spell - you won't need sound). For this particular ability it could even be in green for easier recognition.

Sounds like a good idea to me, though the button will probably be placed under options.

About the hero sounds: I intend to import custom voice acted responses for the heroes when the 1.27 patch hits. I already have recorded voices for this, but I just don't have the filespace to add them. Unlike music, I can't put them in the extension folder.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Ye placed under Options will be no problem as long as the hotkey is easy to press fast.

About the sounds: this is great. Player character sounds add a lot of charm to multiplayer games - mmos and other game types alike.

Level 8
Thing is, if it's put under options then it's still way better to just type "r" in chat. Wouldn't hurt to have it for aesthetic value, but practically it won't be very useful.

Floating texts fly by pretty quick. A group would have to spam it like every 5 seconds until everyone is there. How about a buff marker instead? Something like the Psion's new skill buff marker, buff is removed upon entering combat or when you unready.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I'd rather press 2 buttons than spam chat with 'NICKNAME: r' and to me it isn't necessaily slower; depending on the the hotkeys I'd rather press Z --> R than Enter --> R --> Enter.

Level 8
You forget that you'd have to leave your spellbook and re-enter it after doing that action. Funny how Zwieb was so against that before but now it's a good idea?

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
True. But entering the spellbook is hardly a problem. Remember how fast it is to Mount -- dismount -- Enter spellbook and fight. For me the hotkeys are so convenient that hardly anything can be a problem. :)

You forget that you'd have to leave your spellbook and re-enter it after doing that action. Funny how Zwieb was so against that before but now it's a good idea?
I was against it for things that were necessary to do in combat (pet orders). For completely optional stuff like this it's fine.

Level 8
Well then, nothing else to dispute about this. It most likely won't change anything for the majority of players but will make the few that want it happy.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
But doesn't it take like 2 sec to make? I mean in GUI, with my mediocre skills, I would be able to make that in 15 minutes I suppose. But this is Gaias with all the advanced systems etc. so dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.