• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TGA (pathing) only resources? {creating custom pathings}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Some of the models on this site (and others) the maker has also included a TGA file (for pathing) . So I know its possible to make TGA files (pathing). I just wonder if anyone has just made alternative TGA files, for instance a diagonal Cathedral TGA, or one that is 'hollow' allowing units to walk into the Cathedral?

If so, where would I find them in the resources section?

Thanks.

Level 18
You can just turn a building in the World Editor. No need to make a new model for that. And even if the model of the cathedral is hollow, it's way too small to look into it properly. If you want something like that, I suggest you make a part of your map that's isolated from the rest and when a unit comes near the cathedral, it's moved to that area. That area is terrained like the inside of the cathedral. It's just as easily, you don't need to import anything and you don't need to make new models.

PS: Models, like the cathedral are in MDX extension. TGA is an image file if I'm not mistaken, just like BLP (which is used for stuff like skins).

Level 8
I spawn and send units in and out of 'buildings' some times - NPC characters 'come out' of some of my buildings. One of my more recent projects I had villagers going in and out of buildings around town - a very busy little village. ;)

I modified the cathedral and other buildings increasing their size to where their doorway is the right size to accept a tall unit, needless so say I had to up the pathing on all of those building units

The Cathedral had to have its default pathing removed to turn it diagonal. its pathing map is rectangular, the walkable/unwalkable parts (pink and blue) are set for either east/west or north south, not nor'east/southwest directions.

Anyway, I had hoped that others had already gone through the process of making new pathing, larger pathing, modded pathing for units that are building types and for various doodads.

Currently I am attempting to figure out what pathing works well with this model: Encampment - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site The maker didn't make a path map for it...

Level 8
Pathing textures are really easy to make yourself. All you need is a program that can save images as .tga.

Custom Pathing Maps

Just place your model on the map, turn on the smallest grid view (press g once normally), and see what pixels of your pathing image you have to shade.

I know, I'm just lazy and didn't want to go the extra mile if others already had done all of that before. LOL

Thanks for the linky.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.