• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #25 - Poll

Who should get the front seat? Choose wisely.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.241100

texturing.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
5.png
poll.png

drow_by_francis001-jpg.241102

Dark Elves/Drow
Contestants are to create a skin representing a dark elf(drow as they are otherwise known) person/being or any construct related to it using the vanilla models or the custom ones found on the site.

Welcome to the poll for Texturing Contest #25: Dark Elves/Drow! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on an award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference.
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png

• Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
contest%20judging.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I think the best were Sin'dorei's, Mr. Goblin's, Nightmare's, A.R's, and Traggey's.

However, Mr. Goblin's, while pretty up close, looked really dark & hard-to-decipher from a distance; Nightmare's is beautiful but perhaps *too* beautifully intricate, and Sin'dorei's... Unsure what to say.

I value "Warcrafty-feel" and "in-game-ness" perhaps as much as "artistry", so I think my vote will have to go to AnemicRoyalty (surprise surprise). He not only did a kickin' Drow Elf but her lizard-y mount as well (modifying the panther). Traggey's artistry is flawless & that beard is GORGEOUS, but I fear many of the details would be lost in-game; AnemicRoyalty's strong, solid color choices & simple contrasts won me over.

Great job everyone!

Level 50
Excessive amount of detailing is often as bad as blurriness since in both cases results aren't par with what the preview suggests.

Goblin's entry is well detailed in the preview however when merged with its model it lose all the details in its dark shades so the final result is monochromatic and too static. Too much contrast between the transition from head to below because of black-white appearance. I'd still say you are in the top 3.

Traggey's drow has good details (even though I never really understood why people put so much focus on detailing in texturing when it is most usually just a secondary element in quality evaluation of these skins as we usually rarely see them in-game). For me all these unnecessary metallic colors make it appear as if it is waxwork figure. Beard's deep purple coloring was not the best choice to go for, especially the highlights on the margins. You are still in top 5 tho.

A.R. has the best entry. It's not perfect, shield's texture is out of place, hair is lacking definition and few other. This thing she is on top of is very well done, everything in its place and shadowing as well is done with precision. It's got flaws but they are minor, the feeling within this one is quite warcraft wise and that makes it top among others. Also the only guy whose texture wasn't cliche serving dull gray shades.

Others are either too blur/too detailed, too heavily referenced or a boring stuff or just not enough interesting to beat these three above.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

@Murlocologist

then how about join the next party to show us how to make un-heavily referencing, boring stuff, too detailed, too blur things? the more the merrier. don't be shy and show what you've got ;)

Note: I don't remember any of you being subscribed to positive reviews from me. If any of you found yourself insulted by my pick for top 3 or felt my ''venom being shed'' cos I referred to your entry as ''boring'' just ignore me. Have fun.
Thank you again! Your opinion is valuable to me. Have fun too!

Sorry for being off-topic.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Excessive amount of detailing is often as bad as blurriness since in both cases results aren't par with what the preview suggests.

Goblin's entry is well detailed in the preview however when merged with its model it lose all the details in its dark shades so the final result is monochromatic and too static. Too much contrast between the transition from head to below because of black-white appearance. I'd still say you are in the top 3.

Traggey's drow has good details (even though I never really understood why people put so much focus on detailing in texturing when it is most usually just a secondary element in quality evaluation of these skins as we usually rarely see them in-game). For me all these unnecessary metallic colors make it appear as if it is waxwork figure. Beard's deep purple coloring was not the best choice to go for, especially the highlights on the margins. You are still in top 5 tho.

A.R. has the best entry. It's not perfect, shield's texture is out of place, hair is lacking definition and few other. This thing she is on top of is very well done, everything in its place and shadowing as well is done with precision. It's got flaws but they are minor, the feeling within this one is quite warcraft wise and that makes it top among others. Also the only guy whose texture wasn't cliche serving dull gray shades.

Others are either too blur/too detailed, too heavily referenced or a boring stuff or just not enough interesting to beat these three above.
DUDE, what do you mean 'out of place', Drow are all like spiders and webs and stuff! :O

I'm satisfied that you said much the same thing I did, though I'm curious what thoughts you had on Sin'dorei's (I liked it well enough but, without being able to put my finger on it, did not consider it for #1).

(sorry to put you on the spot, Sin)

DUDE, what do you mean 'out of place', Drow are all like spiders and webs and stuff! :O

I'm satisfied that you said much the same thing I did, though I'm curious what thoughts you had on Sin'dorei's (I liked it well enough but, without being able to put my finger on it, did not consider it for #1).

(sorry to put you on the spot, Sin)
He/she already said it, my entry is so boring. But this is not a problem for me.
My goal was to transform the harpy, which has a very difficult wrap, in something almost beautiful and i think i succeeded. She's pretty enough and has a fitting drow armour.

Level 50
@Kyrbi0

That's how I see it. I find shield's texture plain and not par enough with other parts. If it was meant to be spider web then more defining wouldn't be a bad choice.

Not sure why you are interested in me commenting on Sin'dorei300's entry but I have no problem to comment on it as well.
Sin'dorei300's drow first of all has strange model, seems to be some edited harpy model. This one doesn't seem to be well rendered model and there are pixel lines degrading it further (not sure if this is problem with original harpy though). Colors are not apart from other entries, golden+gray. Face is done very well, defined nicely but lower body isn't. Maybe it is the lack of pixel rendering but legs don't seem to be on same level as face definition is. Wings are ok but nothing special and her bra is left in blur. When I look at his entry there isn't something unique that would apart it from the rest. However, in artistic way it obviously possesses more quality than most of others. I'd say he is in top 5 but I find A.R.'s entry the top one.

And Traggey, I find you entry's beard to have metallic color, as well was his arm muscles.

Also I'm he, so we have that mystery solved.

Level 50
I don't. And there would be no difference if I would know. I'm judging the whole entry based on its looks, not just a preview box. I'm not going that in depth with analysis to determine where wrap made texture look better or worse. I judge based on the screenshot where I'm taking whole image in account.

This is a skin contest, not a concept art or icon contest, and, yes, the wrap plays an important role in texturing.

Edit: And, isn't golden-gray, is golden-purple.
You can take a look at the existing skins for this model, to have an idea and to understand why her legs cannot have the same quality as the face.

Edit2: Voted for Mr.Goblin, i really like the work on the armour.
Wasn't easy for me to decide, coz you guys have done a great job.

Last edited:

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
I voted for Traggey's Drow of the Talon - it showcases his skill effectively, performs the best in-game and the face just oozes character xD

~Nightmare's was a close second, the face is really nice and the composition works well :)

@aeman a little too late on that. You have voted for an entry, thus you acknowledged that that should win.

What's done is done and there's not much we can do at this point, except scratch the poll and restart.
Which, I will add, will not happen since that would be quite unfair for the other voters.

For now, you'll have to cope with your initial vote and move on. However, I thank you for exerting your vote :]
It is much appreciated.

Last but not least, good luck contestants.

My biggest issue with most of the contestants is that they're so dark and uncontrasted that you can't conceivably make up any of the detail from a distance. It's too bad, because many would have been great otherwise. Mr. Goblin's entry in particular is so exquisitely well made when you study it up close, but all the highlights (except of course the mantle) just don't pop as much as they should. What A.R. did with the panther is something i really like, and the model fits very well into warcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.