• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #24 Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title's all about there is to know about.
Past themes chosen listed, safely wrapped up and chewed below for your own enjoyment.

You know what this is about and all.
Calling all texturing-aligned people at arms.

Commence crowd gathering~

Proposals:

Steampunk - is a subgenre of science fiction and sometimes fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.

Pirates(or Hive mods if you prefer that) - a pirate is a person who commits warlike acts at sea without the authorization of any nation. Yarrr m8!

Re-texture preset HQ model - texturing models like Kwaliti's Deathwing or Tauer's Durotan. As long as it's creative enough it goes like a glove.

Dragons - texturing any models(in-game or site ones) into a dragon themed skin.

Bandits and outcasts - self explained persons hell bent on causing misery and stealing goods/whatnot form folks.

Environmentally adapted units - essentially, one would retexture a unit to fit into a specific environment (e.g. arctic, desert, forest etc) while still retaining defining aspects such as race and role. For example, fur-clad grunt (arctic), elephant-magnataur (savannah or whatevs), camouflaged footman (forest), you name it.

Warcraft Lore Characters - pretty self-explanatory. Retexturing a unit/hero to represent a character from the Warcraft franchise.

Diablo themed - everything from the franchise goes. Even an Azmodan or Deckard Cain.

Gods - fit a skin to create one of the gods from the Warcraft universe or any other universe found in games.

Alien/Sci-Fi - could be anything from the deepest oozes of space to the lightest canopy creatures just as long as it looks otherworldly.

Elemental - creatures of nature/space/universe that have the sole purpose of keeping the original chaotic nature of things.

Dark Elves/Drow - related to the night and much more elven like spider theme robes(you name it we make it).

Summoned units - not just like editing elementals, but also changing units' texture like Footmen into something that looks like it was summoned.

Mechanical Contraptions - anything goes just as long as it's a stitched up construction or unit that has the word metal/robotic in it.

Burning Legion themed - the Legion needs more races. So, anything from an Eredar to the lowliest imp/jailer-like race goes. Even mechs that resemble infernals are allowed.

Eldritch/Underwater - weird/eerie creatures coped up with underwater inhabitants. Just think of Cthulhu Mythos mostly. Old Gods(wc universe) go as well into this category.

Dual-race Creatures - contestants would be required to re-texture a ladder model so that it represents a combination of two races. Such unit, for an example, could be a half orc and half human - like Rexxar.

Post to be updated further.

Last edited:
Level 28
Yea, the idea of doodads/destructibles was denied when I proposed it last time, so it's not gonna work. I myself wasn't happy with such a theme but well, we needed more themes...

A unit/hero is the way to go, problem is, limiting it to one unit might be annoying for some people. Also, Deathwing texturing is something too specific, you can't really play with the texture and turn it into something totally different, which is what makes texturing really interesting, at least for me. We could limit it to Dragon models though (hive or War3 ones) or such.

what about.. Avatar? a texture that combines 4 (or just two?) elements of any kind (not just water/fire/earth/wind) and brings balance between the four. it could be made to look destructive, or cute :b

(ps: sure, i watched too much 'avatar the last airbender' :xxd: but you guys could sure raise that beyond that silly (but great) cartoon series :prazz: )

Allright, here's some suggestions:

-Steampunk (I can't believe this hasn't been done yet, dafuq)
-Outcasts (Dungeon Escapees, Bandits etc)
-Prehistoric (Cavemen and stuff)
-Underwater (Sea creatures, monsters, machines etc, Bioshock themed essentially)
-Towers (BE tower defense has some nice possibilities, but pretty limited) [More suitable for a minicontest]
-Summoned (Any creature that suits to be summoned by a wizard - Spirit Beasts, Ghosts, Elementals etc)
-Mixed Blood (A mix between two races)
-Egypt >:D

Misha's suggestion can be fit into this:
-Elementalist (Creature or mage capable of invoking more than one elemental power)

I had some other ideas in mind, if I remember them I will update this post.

-Towers (BE tower defense has some nice possibilities, but pretty limited) [More suitable for a minicontest]
-Summoned (Any creature that suits to be summoned by a wizard - Spirit Beasts, Ghosts, Elementals etc)

I vote on these

N41

N41

Level 7
Originally Posted by Blood Raven View Post
I vote on these
:thumbs_up:
More towards Prehistoric or Summoned :wink:

Level 25
Aight, I have a couple ideas:

1. Environmentally adapted units (this is a theme that's been suggested a couple times before. Essentially, one would retexture a unit to fit into a specific environment (e.g. arctic, desert, forest etc) while still retaining defining aspects such as race and role. For example, fur-clad grunt (arctic), elephant-magnataur (savannah or whatevs), camouflaged footman (forest), you name it)

2. Warcraft Lore Characters (pretty self-explanatory. Retexturing a unit/hero to represent a character from the Warcraft franchise)

Level 28
I've been thinking, some of the themes proposed so far don't have many items on the character to play with, so, I guess my suggestions are to make something that is more of a character, with items, so that it's more fun to paint, other than make skin textures.. (like prehistoric animals or sea creatures which are mainly scales and eyes). Not that nothing can be done with these but still, I find characters to be more interesting. Just my view on stuff.

I guess I'd vote for elementals so far. This theme has been coming back so many times and almost always gotten many votes, it deserves to get picked at last :cgrin:

(I'll try to think of a few themes tomorrow)

Level 30
+1 For Steampunk. That theme has enough versatility allowed, yet still will be interesting to see.

I'll put in these:
- Frostmourne's Touch: Skin a Wc3 character as a Death Knight hero.
- Diablo II: Skin a unit so that it resembles a hero, monster, boss or creature from Diablo II universe.
- Fallen: "Undeadify" any living unit to a zombie.

Misha's suggestion can be fit into this:
-Elementalist (Creature or mage capable of invoking more than one elemental power)

I'm not so sure on that.. "Avatar" on the mountain king clearly turns him to living stone.. what i wanted is something that is either two (or four) things fused together in a harmonious way, or it being outright scary merger of violent natures..
for an example, water is harmony between hydrogen and oxygen, which are both destructive things

(imo, 'elementalist' would simply lull the texturer to go for an easy option, aka mage)

so.. as i said, Avatar.. being representing either harmony, or destructive nature of whichever components you choose

Level 28
Sci-Fi
Monster
Hydra
Ice
Dragon (always wanted a dragon)
MOOSE

The Silent, it's not that D1 isn't awesome, just that D2's art is better (designwise, check out Diablo from D1 and Diablo from D2. Then we also got Mephisto, Baal, many demons.. and yea. List goes on. D2 manages to keep D1ness and be better. So, I'm not against D1, but if we had to do any of the three D's as a theme - D2.)

The Silent, it's not that D1 isn't awesome, just that D2's art is better (designwise, check out Diablo from D1 and Diablo from D2. Then we also got Mephisto, Baal, many demons.. and yea. List goes on. D2 manages to keep D1ness and be better. So, I'm not against D1, but if we had to do any of the three D's as a theme - D2.)

I made an argument for inclusion, not exclusion. I want both. Also, that is an argument based purely on taste, which I'm not going to comment on, because discussing tastes is pointless.

Level 30
So far, themes are these:

- Re-texture preset HQ model
- Doodads/Destructables
- Dragons
- Avatar, amalgam of several elements
- Steampunk
- Rogues, bandits and outcasts
- Prehistoric
- Underwater
- Towers
- Summoned Creatures
- Two-racial Creatures
- Egyptian Theme
- Burning Legion Creatures
- Environmentally adapted units
- Warcraft Lore Characters
- Japanese
- Death Knight Heroes
- Diablo I/ III Creatures
- Zombies
- Eldritch creatures
- Nature/Treants
- Wolves
- Ancients
- Gods/Goddeses from Warcraft
- Pirates
- THW Mods

Which is a total of 26 themes. How are you going to select the themes for the poll? When I've had this much suggestions for icon contest, I've picked 10 people out who're really good at making those, and asked them up to select ten themes they like the most, and score them from 1 to 10. In the end, the first ten themes which scored the most went into the poll.

Last edited:
Level 28
No no no, you shouldn't pick those who are really good, you should pick all potential participants instead (and all themes in a poll, multi, preferably). How would you feel if you were left out cuz you weren't good enough? And who's to say who's good and who's not?

On a side note, can't we turn the Diablo II theme into Diablo I and II theme? A combined one?

ALSO WHAT HAPPENED TO MY HIDDEN THEME MOOSE?!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Even when there's only a few options, I think a Multi-Vote Poll is much better. For *26*? Absolutely necessary. If you are worried about people "abusing it" and voting for tons of things... Honor system; delete extraneous vote(r)s. Also, when everything is voted on, that's the effect of nothing being voted on. :p

If you are worried about non-artists voting (like myself; full disclosure, I love voting on these things to influence cool ideas :p), it's simple: Tell us not to. Put it up in bold on the front post: "Only vote if you plan on entering". You can ensure this by A: requiring a post in the Poll thread saying such (e.g. "hey, I voted, I'm going to enter"), and B: requiring a WIP in the eventual Contest thread.

Those that fail to do A/B (or you know are lying) can have their vote removed & a warning given.

if you are worried about all the "work" in policing the Poll, simply make it a "viewable by public" poll; the real artists/contestants have a stake in this, so they'll pretty much do your work for you (shh, don't tell them I said that :p)!

Level 28
Well, if, during this week more themes can be added, why not. If not, why :cgrin:?
We are almost finished discussing, it's full out multivote, question is - only participants or not? I feel like it should be only, because I've seen several contests fail due to themes not being liked by participants (under fail I mean less people entering, not completely fail of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.