• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Mini-Challenge: Minimalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Keiji, thanks for the generous score mate! Also, the planet is oval because I made the terrain on my PC with a 1280x1024 resolution where it looked like a perfect sphere. Then I sent the map to Heinvers for a bigger screenshot because someone asked to use it as a wallpaper, and with his larger resolution it looks oval...
And I was supposed to cut off the right part of the screenshot so the flare looks more in place but it seems I forgot...

Also, congratz to Kino and thanks for hosting this contest Keiji, we all had some fun in it. :)
Looking forward to the next mini-contest.

Level 36
The next one will probably be in the Arena, but unless there's an abnormal heat about it,
I won't be hosting it too soon. You might start throwing around theme suggestion threads
and shit, though.

I'll deal with the prize and shizzle come weekend, be patient Kino.

The next one will probably be in the Arena, but unless there's an abnormal heat about it,
I won't be hosting it too soon. You might start throwing around theme suggestion threads
and shit, though.

I'll deal with the prize and shizzle come weekend, be patient Kino.

*throws abnormal heat with his flamethrower*

Level 36
Fladder, Knight and Void were certainly close seconds, but they all had things that really
bothered me, things I think they should change. Whereas Kino's entry was, to my eyes,
and in the spirit of the contest, flawless. Hence, my verdict ^^

Level 11
Firstly, my profound apologies for not being able to finish my terrain work and posting only WIPS. I started on a good note, I even had a textual piece to go with the final work but alas, fate had it planned differently. The organization I work for had a fund raising event come along and I was engrossed in it since the past 2 weeks or so. I logged in here once or twice to 'socialize'....Make hay while the sun shines, as the saying goes. Should have made the best of my time while I had it...Ironically I am free only when the competition is up and the results have been out

A hearty congratulations to Kino for a well deserved victory:thumbs_up:

Knight, my friend, you are a pretty great terrainer, and I think you should........
Thank you for all the nice words and the nice review. Your words are valued to me as always :)

Level 36
Alright, everything's been dealt with, I think:

- Thread unstickied.
- Updated http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...raining-mini-contests-victorious-kino-222072/
- Added reputation.
- Got funky high on tiger balsam.

*Pat's self on shoulder*

-

And, yes, congratulations Kino, you certainly earned this one. In my book.
And what a contest! I hope we can spark this much creativity in future contests
as well! :D Keep terraining, my friends, we are, as always, an endangered
species ^^

DeathChef

5.2/10

I love the spell-thing, the way it expands a darkening pool like some mist of death on the neatly tricked ground, which is a nice effect too. But I can’t for the life of me understand some of the doodad choices, as well as the banshee. The green rocks looks ridiculously out of place, and look far too cartoony and stretched, the trees just doesn’t make sense to me and the water simply looks bland, especially being such a close colour to the ground. I also don’t see why you’d choose to go with some really dark rocks and some bright ones, you should’ve stuck to either of the two, I’d prefer the dark ones, but I think you could have generally found better rock doodads for this terrain, maybe the Sc2 exports in Toby’s map? >.>

Fair enough.
I was mearly trying to terrain from my own feelings and didn't get the message across I suppose.

It was meant to represent more of a chaos feel and that the terrain was being torn. It was also trying to show depth from the foreground to the background.

Considering to that it is a minimalism contest I wish that I tried to keep it more simple.
I seem to have cave rocks with grass and nutrient covered rocks to show more that the place in a way is/was inhabited.

My terrain also seems to have 3 different vocal points with the banshee, the "void" and the bright rock.

The colour of the terrain itself needs work to, although difficult with the terrain style I tried to pull off.

Better luck to me next time and hopefully I'll understand more of where I'm going with my terrain work myself. :xxd:

____

I can see why the terrains that got a good score did with making things more straight forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.