• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest Poll.

And what will the theme be?

• Base Terraining

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Post Civilization

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Elements

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Paired Terraining

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Battle scene

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Cataclysm

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Blue

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Big

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • inner-city

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
I am making this poll because everyone is so hyped up about getting things on place, really, give me some damn breathing space.

Quote de Chaos:

Base Terraining - Some one will draw a very basic outline and you have to make that into a terrain and then add to it.

Post Civilization- A futuristic town, all human beeings are dead, and the whole town is overgrown with big trees, plants, etc.

Elements - Basically like the four seasons terraining contest. You make a base terrain and then change that terrain to represent each of the 4 elements. Technically you'd be making 4 terrains but they are all just edits of the base.

Paired Terraining Self Explainatory. The problem is that you would need like 14 participants (7 entries) to make it a good contest. But it might still work. You never know. Maybe you could combine this with one of the other themes.

Battle scene You would make two armies attacking a castle, fighting in an open field, etc.

Cataclysm - Make a terrain of a reknown landmark of the Warcraft lore (or just some place in general) and make it how it would look ravaged, and maybe even have two shots, one before its destroyed and one after.

Blue- Make a terrain that shows the color blue.

Big - Just terrain something big, like a huge robot destroying a town, or a big mountain that has LOTS of small villages and even kingdoms, or countries on it.

inner-city - terrain the inside of some capital city

Level 15
Well, regardless of what we pick, I will be making an epic construction. Hopefully better then my other beasts or doom machines.

Elements, Battle Scene, or Big will all be find for me. They suit what I want to do the best. I also wouldn't mind doing a paired terraining contest.

Level 15
I don't like the thought of having to make four terrains insted of just one :( Also wich four elements are we talking about here? x)

It's actually alot easier then you think. Basically you make a base terrain and then you can just tint or replace the doodads, change the tileset and then add in a few detail to represent the 4 elements. So really you would be making one terrain and then remake a part of it, keeping the main part (whether its a castle or a giant stone monster) of your terrain pretty much the same. Some things would just require re-tinting, with others you could just use 'replace doodads'. So you're not actually making four whole new terrains.

And the four elements would probably be the most common four: fire earth, water, air. So you could make a castle on top of lava, then add in a bunch of rocks and make it earth, add some fog to make it look like it's underwater for water, and remove ground to make a city in the sky for air. It might be a little bit more work then normal, but Keiji could just make the rep prize worth while (a little bit larger then normal.)

But, like Oziris said, it was just an idea. It could end being that you have to represent just one of the elements. Or it could be that you have to represent all 4 in 1 terrain. I, however, like the 4 different terrain better.

@Oziris, when was there an element terraining contest?

Level 15
Yup something similar has been done. But ages ago. This would be a chance for the newbies like me to compete in such a contest. lol

Regardless, My vote is going for Big. Me wants to make some giant robots. Hava an epic idea for an epic new Doom Machine. My idea would also fit in under Battle Scene. So which ever one of those would be fine.

Level 36
If the elements wins then I will make it so that you can chose either to do one element, four versions of the same scene with different elements, or add all four. Simplest and supposedly the most likable idea for the most part, while some would say "But then no one is going to make four terrains..." Well, that might just be true, but if you execute four terrains in a good manner, instead of one, people might just vote for it basing it on how much time you devoted to the work.

Also, if elements get chosen, then I'm not joining.

Level 36
Well, that is the added benefit of hard work >.>

And I dont really see how it would be hard to judge, the theme is quite clear, either you manage to stay with the theme or you dont, and to what degree you are able to uphold the theme... yadda yadda...

But if it is highly disliked that we allow four terrains, then I'll take that one out and let people decide either to go for A: One terrain containing all 4 or only 1 of the elements. Or B: Everyone have to make four terrains depicting the elements. This is all IF we chose elements, of course, of which I HOPE we dont :p

Well, if someone votes for big, it'll be in tie with elements, which means that Big might just win. And we all know how much "Big" is better than "Elements", especially with how similar it is with the four seasons theme. ^^

Nah, Elements is much more fun then Big - a big banana is still a banana, but a flaming banana is much more fun (of course depends on what elements you chose, so it's not necessarily the same seasons).

Of course you could always go with big elements

Level 10
Well, if someone votes for big, it'll be in tie with elements, which means that Big might just win. And we all know how much "Big" is better than "Elements", especially with how similar it is with the four seasons theme. ^^

I like the fact that it's kind of the same since I wasn't a member by the time of that contest.

Funnier or Funner?

same same -.-

Cataclysm is an idea I began to find really attractive. I can't realize why people go for vague themes though, such as big. Obviously terraining is realising something you thought of, but I'm tired of seeing in every contest a bunch of rocks/archways to represent what they thought of; e.g. robots, huge buildings, etc etc. The same style over and over again. Ew.. I know; there might be no other way, but it's becoming so old fashioned and the fact that it's the only way to respond to the "Big" theme in a *kinda* accurate way, makes it even more boring.

vague themes

Well with vague themes the terrains can look so many different ways, it's really open to what you can think of to make while something like inner-city is going to have some variation but it's all going to look pretty similar (most likely some capital building with some roads around it and busy citizens or something).

Seems like Elements is going to win

Sure it is, but when you respond to a contest, you respond to a specific theme; it's really exciting to have broad themes with loads of options, but it might be a bit abusive as well or not fairly judged, because every submission will have a set of its own rules, since there simply is no specific/specified keynote.

hmmm, so do we sacrifice creativity for judgability?

Status
Not open for further replies.