• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #11 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
the%20hive%20workshop.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
1.png

results.png

schlacht-bei-lesnaja.jpg

Battlefields
This terrain has to represent a battleground while or after a battle of two parties

These are the results for TC 11.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------fladdermasken: No doubt one of the better entries. Being a huge fan of steampunk I really like the design of your buildings. They were very well done. Not a big fan of your big robot though, refering to the design of it that is. It's probably the hand things that ruin it for me. You should have worked more on the legs. A couple of pipes and a gear on each is a little simplistic. Excellent choice of models and textures. Doodads are really well placed. Finding detail flaws in this terrain is very difficult. One or two sillhouetted version of those giant machines in the background would be cool, but not entirely necessary. It is very clean and without a doubt one of the most eye pleasing pieces in this contest. The biggest flaw for me is in the theme. I just don't get the sense of conflict . However, although there aren't physical effects on the environment, from the way that you created it, it definately does give me a battleground feeling. So the battleground is there but the sense of conflict isn't and both are needed to get a high score in theme. A great terrain and definately eligible for the top 3.
Creativity - 12/15
Detail - 13/15
Technique - 12/15
Theme - 10/15
Total - 47/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Skycraft: Wow, major unit spam. Way too much going on. The point of these terraining contests is to present a picture of art. Your terrain depicts more of an actual warcraft 3 game screen shot. When one looks at a terrain art picture he should instantly understand the idea behind the shot. When I first looked at this I didn't know where to start. It has no focal point that instantly draws the attention. The theme is there but is not at all creative. You should have tried something other then the original 4 wc3 races, since they are so over used. You should look through the top entries, they should show you more or less what we are looking for in a terrain art picture.
Creativity - 2/15
Detail - 3/15
Technique - 3/15
Theme - 10/15
Total - 18/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The Olorin: First of all, your units do not stand out at all. I am squinting at the pic and still can't determine between the two forces, if there is even two forces. All I see is the skeletal force. Where is the other one? Both forces should be visible and clearly distinguishable. You should have tilted the camera down and shot in a higher res. It would definately be easier to understand the terrain. You should have taken this shot in the editor instead of ingame. The far clipping (the point where the sky cuts off the terrain) ruins the background. In the editor you could have removed this by pushing ctrl + scroll back. Also if you lowered the angle abit it might help remove the end of the world effect. On the plus side, excluding the water and units, you have created a fairly nice environment, but I guess that is just how high res doodads work.
Creativity - 9/15
Detail - 7/15
Technique - 5/15
Theme - 3/15
Total - 24/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Oziris: Epic entry here. It is this type of entry that people need to mimic. In the sense that it has a huge field of view, alot going on but not insanely spammed to the point that it hurts the eyes to look at, and it shows the techniques of a skilled terrainer such as constructing. I am also a huge fan of constructing. The nature giant was really well executed. I love how you added the stone face on it. It looks like it was meant for him. Well shaped body and good positioning of the arms. The only thing is that you should have made his leg a bit wider. It just seems to be a bit small for that body. Didn't really like the rock giant too much. The glow models (lava) don't actually look like lava and therefore look bad on him. I think it would have been better without them. Also on its head, those two thin rocks make him look like a bunny, which looks a little cheesy imo. A better head would have been nice. Anyways enough with the giants. On the road below the train track, it is all rock. There is no evidence of pavement. A few pieces of pavement within the rocks would be nice. Nice city, love how the buildings are falling over, being picked up, and impale by a train. A well created city with an obvious sense of a battlefield. Most people in this contest focus more on the two armies then the actual "battleground." You seem to have portrayed the theme well. The biggest flaw is that it looks quite messy in the foreground. There is no question that this is quality work. My personal favorite in this contest. Good job.
Creativity - 12/15
Detail - 11/15
Technique - 13/15
Theme - 14/15
Total - 50/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Spy: Nice animations but the terrain is very chaotic. Way too many effects ruin the picture, mostly in the background. The main plus of this terrain are the animations. I especially like the whirlwind and the units flying backwards. Grass seems to be a little be too spammed. If there is a battle taking place then all that would be getting trampled and ripped up. More dirt is needed. However with the trees knocked over and explosions here and there, I'd say that a battle field is evident enough, so you have the theme there. Far clipping needs to be pushed back more (ctrl + scroll back). You can see the end of the world.
Creativity - 7/15
Detail - 5/15
Technique - 5/15
Theme - 11/15
Total - 29/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tamerleine: Cool use of blood doodads, but it is a bit excessive. It's as if everyone that died recieved a gushing wound that poured out every drop of their blood. Just too much blood around each body. Maybe decrease the size of some of them. Good job on the theme. Definetely feels like a battle field. The problem with most entries is that they make their field of view very small with few units so it does feel like an actual battle. Yours has a good field of view. Another problem is that some entries have too much variety in units that it gives the feeling of unit spam. Since you stuck to a core set of 4-5 unit models for each side, it doesn't have that feeling. So those are two pluses on this terrain. Fog and Sky were quite lame in this terrain. Those two could have used some work. Experiment a bit with the sky doodad in the UTM. Also you can see the edge of the map. Extend the map, remove far clipping, and add in some sillhouetted hills in the background. Also, try a different tree model. These don't look too great in this terrain. (More so, on the hills in the background) Also some attack anims so that it doesn't look like the two forces are just standing there chatting.
Creativity - 5/15
Detail - 6/15
Technique - 4/15
Theme - 11/15
Total - 29/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cloudwolf: A perfect example of what a battleground needs. The size of the field of view and the amount of units give it that feeling that an epic battle is being taking place. Also, the entire army actually looks like they came from one faction, instead of having several species that don't look good together (like blood elves, naga, and draenei in wc3, in which case the variation is just too much) like several entries. All unit models fit together perfectly. I like the flying arrows and rocks. I would say that the theme was nailed perfectly. Nice camera angle (something different then the usual). In my opinion, that fire model looks bad in any terrain. The problem is that it takes the focus away from the rest of the terrain. I would suggest a better fire model or simply removing it all together. However it isn't too big of a deal since they are on the sides of the terrain and not directly in the middle and the paladin in the middle helps bring the focus back to the battle field a bit, but it is still a negative nonetheless. Also there are a bit many arrows. Maybe take a few of those away. Regardless, a very good entry and good choice of models. (with the exception of a few).
Creativity - 8/15
Detail - 9/15
Technique - 8/15
Theme - 15/15
Total - 39/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------johannesr: I really like how you made that area on the right side of the screen. It is a cool environment. Those trees and rocks work very well together. Love the idea of the terrain. My biggest complaint is the sun (or planet, what ever it may be). It just doesn't look too great. Also, It almost looks like you have two different skies on each half of the sun. On the right side it simply looks grey/white, on the left, it has the red/pink. Imo the right half of the screen looks better. The red doesn't suit the environment. You should have done less red and more grey/white on the left side. I really like the fog. It suits the environment perfectly. Very creative idea, but a little lacking in execution in the middle area where the battle is taking place. A good entry nonetheless.
Creativity - 12/15
Detail - 9/15
Technique - 8/15
Theme - 11/15
Total - 40/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dr.House: A couple of guys killing some monsters does not classify as a battleground. Your walls look bad, too many impurities. The doodads overlap each other in a horrible way. It doesn't flow right from rock to rock. Your terrain is also very simple without much detail in it. But like you said in the poll. Yours was not done and was only a wip. So this doesn't matter too much.
Creativity - 4/15
Detail - 2/15
Technique - 3/15
Theme - 2/15
Total - 11/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------indomitable1319: Meh, your typical undead vs. Human battle. Not at all creative. The skeleton model does not blend in well with the rest of the undead faction. Also for the humans, you should have stuck with a core 3-4 unit models (like footman, knight, paladin, and captain). Too much variety doesn't look good in art terrain. The fire models as well as the lava cracks ruin the pictures. The fire is just too much brightness, and the lava cracks are way out of place. The sky idea is interesting but I can't say that I really like it. Normally in a battle field it is clear that one faction charges in from one direction and the other faction from the other direction and they meet in the middle for an epic battle. Your units are facing every direction possible and scattered all over the battle field. There is no point of origin.
Creativity - 3/15
Detail - 4/15
Technique - 3/15
Theme - 8/15
Total - 18/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Blood Raven: The sky is horrible but the fog is alright. You can see the end of the world. Push the sky back with ctrl + scroll back. and add some more hills in the background infront of the point where the sky touches the ground to remove the end of the world effect. As for theme, it's sort of there. I commend you for being the only person to do a post-battle terrain. Add in units with death anims and remove impaled corpses and skulls. It would look much better and would make the feeling of a post-battle scene more obvious.
Creativity - 5/15
Detail - 3/15
Technique - 2/15
Theme - 6/15
Total - 16/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Goolygot: My first complaint is the platform at the bottom of the picture. Since it is so big and so close to the camera, the textures look very stretched. You should have tried constructing something with smaller doodads to get that wall. Both factions look good, in the sense that you have selected units that work well together. The mountains are too simple. When you make doodads that big, they simply don't look good. The line of rocks along the river looks unnatural. You should have put a bit more effort in doodad placing. Also this terrain would be much more interesting if the battle had commenced. The battle might have helped take the focus off of those over-stretched rocks.
Creativity - 6/15
Detail - 4/15
Technique - 5/15
Theme - 8/15
Total - 23/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------CoBrA b: I honestly found this one really hard to judge in terms of theme, but after much thought and observation I understood the concept of the terrain. However I would liked to have seen more actual "clashing" between the two forces. I would like to have seen how the two halves interact when they meet. Like have steam where fire and water meet and a few leaves catching fire, etc. to give more of a feeling of fighting rather then two forces just standing watching eachother. It does give me a sense of conflict, but I am just not picturing this as a battle ground. Very creative idea nonetheless. You have created a very lovely environment. I love how you made the lava. Looks really cool in certain points, but bad in others. Very creative aswell and beautiful sky.
Creativity - 12/15
Detail - 11/15
Technique - 11/15
Theme - 8/15
Total - 42/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Azurot: I absolutely love seeing constructed cities like these. It's not anything that screams epic, but it was still well made. The fog is perfect for this scene and the sky suits it nicely. Good choice of models and you are the first one to incorporate fire and not have it look bad. The main problem with this is the lack of detail in some areas. The human army should have been a little less organized. A group of demons is destroying their town right infront of them, I highly doubt that they would be lined up in orderly rows awaiting the command from their leader. However still a lovely terrain.
Creativity - 9/15
Detail - 10/15
Technique - 11/15
Theme - 9/15
Total - 39/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Supertoinkz: You can see the arrows flying so the battle has commenced. But I would like to see more clashing between the two. Honestly it looks very messy in some areas and empty in others. The end of the world is the biggest problem. Also, all those rocks, piled up like that with the trees placed on top looks horrible. You should have added more on the far sides. Definetely gives a feeling of incompletion. Unit selection is alright for both factions. Interesting concept. Also, selection circle ftw.
Creativity - 5/15
Detail - 2/15
Technique - 2/15
Theme - 7/15
Total - 16/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Azharr: Honestly can't say much positive about this one. This could be done in literally a minute. You've just place like 25 models on the ground and that's it. Needs more detail. Maybe start by adding in ammunition boxes on the ground. Increase the height of the camera and move it back so that more can be seen. Add in more units and doodads. Change the fog. Having light and then sudden blackness looks bad. It needs to slowly blend away. Also I see no clashing between two forces. Add in some effects of gun firing and what not.
Creativity - 3/15
Detail - 2/15
Technique - 2/15
Theme - 4/15
Total - 11/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chilla_killa: It feels more like a small testing zone then an actual war zone. You should have tried a much larger scaled fight. Alot more units and a bigger field of view would have made the fight more epic. All those rocks on the other side of the fence look bad. You should have lowered them down abit. They just look really messy in their current state. The effects were well used unlike some entries that over mass them to the point that it looks bad. Good choice of models. They all seem to blend in well together.
Creativity - 9/15
Detail - 7/15
Technique - 5/15
Theme - 7/15
Total - 28/60
Keiji: I absolutely love the atmosphere in this terrain. The green area in the middle of the terrain is really cool. It does give me a sense of battle field as well as a sense of conflict. The two factions are well made (I especially love the goblin half). Models were well chosen. Great choice of camera angle and fog. I've never really been a fan of that type of sky, but it seems to suit this particular terrain really well. There really isn't much worth complaining about. It is a pretty clean entry. Without a doubt in the top 3. Good job!
Creativity - 12/15
Detail - 13/15
Technique - 12/15
Theme - 12/15
Total - 49/60
KayS: The first tip that any terrainer needs to learn is: never use those cliffs. They make any terrain look bad. Aslo your terrain has a small battle but this is not a battle field. Like alot of people in this contest, you put the focus on two opposing factions and no attention at all on the thing that is important: the battlefield itself. Think of it this way, if two enemies start shooting at each other in a town, then that is a battle. (this is what you have here). If the two enemies start shooting and making a mess of things, with colatoral damage, destoyed buildings, trampled ground and several dead bodies everywhere, then you have the actual battle field. It is that battle "field/ground" that we are looking for. Yours doesn't not portray that. It is also a very messy entry.
Creativity - 3/15
Detail - 2/15
Technique - 2/15
Theme - 3/15
Total - 10/60
David_89: Looks very messy. The ground is way too bumpy and the shrubs should be removed. Also, in almost any terrain, the sky adds to the quality of the picture. Since your camera is so low you can't see the sky and in this situation, just seeing the ground, doesn't appeal too much. A lower angle in the camera and a more flat ground would have improved your terrain alot. Not very creative either. Just another human vs. orc. Try using the UTM. It has tons of doodads that would improve this terrain. It's mainly because we've gotten so used to seeing these models that these kind of "no imports" (with the exception of thrall) terrains look boring. Custom models spice things up a litte and give alot more possibilies. Try this in the next contest.
Creativity - 2/15
Detail - 3/15
Technique - 3/15
Theme - 9/15
Total - 17/60
Frutz: Another human vs. orc terrain. However, that air mass was pretty interesting and something different then the usual footman vs grunt kind of thing. You should have chosen a better model for the wall. Those rocks just simply don't work for cliff walls no matter how you place them. Theme isn't really there. I can see the two factions but the land scape doesn't give me a sense of a battleground. It could also use a better sky and fog. The one that you currently have gives a friendly and peaceful feeling. A darker tone to things would be better.
Creativity - 4/15
Detail - 4/15
Technique - 5/15
Theme - 6/15
Total - 19/60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Raven0: First of all I like the concept. The first problem is the ground. Those rocks placed on the ground like that looks bad imo and considering that you used the same rocks for the mountain, it gives a feeling of being monotone. Also the rocks take the focus away from the ents and at first look you would barely notice them. There needs to be more emphasize on them and I believe that removing those rocks and trying something else for the floor would achieve that. The ents themselves look alright except for the purple crystals. Those really aren't necessary. The castle looks good, especially that area where the rock hit. The only problem with it is that it looks empty. You can barely see anybody. The weapons at the bottom of the screen look good but at the same time out of place. A different sky would improve this terrain alot. Looks quite messy but still an alright terrain.
Creativity - 11/15
Detail - 7/15
Technique - 8/15
Theme - 9/15
Total - 35/60
idodik: Looks quite messy. Too much unit variations in one army doesn't look good in art terrain. Remove dryads and druids and leave strickly a sentinal army. It would give for a much more pleasing battlefield. The end of the world is a problem in this terrain. You should have lowered the camera angle and added trees or mountains to cover up the edge of the map so that it doesn't just suddenly cut off when the sky touches the ground. The fog choice doesn't look good. A dark blue fog with a red/orange glow illuminating from those burning buildings would probably suit the scene better, but that might be a bit difficult to get right. You should try importing some doodads. There are tons of night elf doodads (statues and what not) around that would make this look much better. Also, those trees should be replaced with some custom ones. The random rocks through out the battlefield should be removed. A few dead units would improve the sense being a battle field.
Creativity - 4/15
Detail - 5/15
Technique - 5/15
Theme - 8/15
Total - 22/60
tleno: I like the idea of this terrain but it seems more like a raid then an actual battlefield. The peasant droping barrels on the footman is pretty funny. The biggest issue that I have with this terrain is the end of the world. You should have pushed back the sky and make more of those towers in the background. That along with lowering the camera angle would solve the problem. Unit animations would have really brought this terrain to life. Mainly with the peasant pushing the barrel off the bridge thing. Also, give the footman on the far bridge an attack anim. It almost seems like the two footman and the rifle man are on the same side just chatting away. Maybe not quite so many tree variations would be better. A more original sky would be nice. The environment gives me a sense of lulz and peace. It really doesn't feel like a battle field.
Creativity - 9/15
Detail - 7/15
Technique - 6/15
Theme - 6/15
Total - 28/60
VegaKotes: First of all, when creating an art terrain, especially with scenes like these, this camera angle rarely works well. My first suggest is to lower the camera angle and create a scene based around that. Also it doesn't give much of a battle field feeling. More like a hunting ground. Having both the ingame barren trees and those imported ones in the same terrain causes a clash. They are two different model qualities and therefore look bad together. Those tiny rocks that surround the rock doodads look really bad. In order to get rid of these lower the rocks down into the ground just a little bit. It's a small detail but every bit counts. Also in a war it normally starts off with the two forces on opposite sides that meet at one point and fight it out. You have units from each faction facing every direction and therefore there is no point of origin.
Creativity - 5/15
Detail - 3/15
Technique - 3/15
Theme - 5/15
Total - 16/60
AyeKantSpel: Interesting idea with the reflection but that's about the only creative thing about this terrain. Other then that it is just abother human vs. orc terrain. The lightning striking in the middle of the alliance forces is definately out of place. If you had put it in the sky behind the army then it would fit. As for theme, a few scattered bodies on the ground would get you higher points in that area. You have the two armies so that gives you the battle but it lacks the effect on the land itself. (land being littered by blood and corpses, in this case) It doesn't quite have the feeling of a battleground. Increasing the scale of the war (more unit) and adding in several visible, dead bodies on ground would make this look more like a battle field. The rocks in the foreground by the river look bad. There should be less and they should be flattened.
Creativity - 5/15
Detail - 3/15
Technique - 5/15
Theme - 8/15
Total - 21/60
Phoonix: This terrain definately gives the battleground feeling with the dead bodies on the ground and the ships swapping cannon fire with the castle. However it is a little lacking on the execution part. The first thing is the set up of the infantry. I highly doubt that they would walk so calmly while not even facing their opponent. If they were behind the front line or some barricade then it would be different, but they are like 20 feet away from the enemy with their guns resting on their shoulder like nothing is happening. Also there is no sign of actual firing from the troops. They need some effects on the end of their guns. Moving on, the castle looks pretty nice. However the rocks around the base of it look quite bad. The ray of light and the end of the world effect ruin the atmosphere of the terrain. You should have either added mountains or another castle in that area behind the ships so that the end of the world is not visible.
Creativity - 8/15
Detail - 7/15
Technique - 7/15
Theme - 13/15
Total - 35/60
Adiktuz: I am really not a fan of your model choices. I think that you could have done a much better job choosing element models. 4 very different models under one faction makes things quite messy and random. It doesn't really scream the epicness of a battlefield, but the theme is kind of there. The arrows and dead bodies on the floor help it achieve that. A tip for next time, use paint to trim the "game view setting" off the top. Nothing important, but it is a little annoying to see that. The terrain itself is quite messy. When incorperating effects (or unit models like those) in a terrain like you did, it drastically removes the clean feel that a terrain should have. The rock hill in the foreground should be removed. Also a lower camera angle so that the sky can be seen would be nice.
Creativity - 7/15
Detail - 5/15
Technique - 4/15
Theme - 8/15
Total 24/60
Nagir: There isn't really much that I can say about this terrain. It looks like a terrain that was put together in 4 minutes. It has no battlefield in it at all. Too many logs in one little area, and the one in front is under a tree. Make the field of view much bigger so that more units can be placed in the terrain. Adding in some treants attacking from the sides would be cool. Arrows should already be flying, footmen should be slicing and bodies should scattered the floor.
Creativity - 2/15
Detail - 2/15
Technique - 2/15
Theme - 2/15
Total - 8/60
Sheephunter: A little messy. There seems to be way too much put into one small area. Also this doesn't feel like a battle field. I don't see two factions clashing. I just see one overpowered factions who will swat away that small group of trolls as if they were flies. This feels more like a slaughter then a fight. At least make it look like a worthy attempt by having a big army of trolls attacking the demons from all sides. 6 trolls againts the burning legion is hardly a clash between two factions. More units, more missles flying, and more of a sense of confilict in general.
Creativity - 7/15
Detail - 6/15
Technique - 6/15
Theme - 4/15
Total - 28/60

fladdermasken

Creativity
Seeing this as a battle of one giant vs. an army. This terrain is pretty creative, also the way you pulled the idea of is creative.13/15

Detail
One of the most detailed terrains of this contest, however some things look a bit too random (especially the structures and human made things, like the house on the right or the bin on the left)12/15

Technique
The colossus is the focus and it's well done, this goes for the rest of the terrain aswell, the composition is great, the battlefield feeling is welldone, but could be slightly better, however some things do not look perfectly placed. However the model (unit) use is awesome12/15

Theme
The battlefield feeling comes in quite nicely, the tension is there, however I personally think the sky could contribute a bit more to the feeling, trying to create something like darkness or storm behind the colossus would have been awesome!11/15
Overall: 48/60

Skycraft

Creativity
Humans vs. Undead clashing in a human city with a totally warcraft style. I played the campaigns of wc3 and I played a bit of battlenet, I saw thousands of these scenes.2/15

Detail
You did manage to recreate the typical Warcraft look in your terrain. However this look is not at all detailed. At least you added some fire to the buildings.3/15

Technique
You showed that you are up to the task to terrain on warcraft limit, but this is not the standard anymore. THe composition is also very limiting, especially because of the camera view. Also, more small doodads and less units would have been the ticket3/15

Theme
Yush we have a battlefield here and I kinda like the idea of displaying the wc3 feeling, however as stated it is not the best to do in a terraining contest, nor is it ubercreative. Still I want to value this idea a bit4/15
Overall: 12/60

The Olorin

Creativity
One of the more creativ ideas I see in this contest, because to me it gives the feeling of a farm being attacked and a battle going on while this. A rather creative interpretion.8/15

Detail
There is actually a lot of details in your submission, to bad your resolution is that low and makes it hard to see all the single things going on, causing it to look a bit messy (not only the battle itself, which would be fine, but also the nature). Also the background is lacking details.6/15

Technique
While your foreground design is accurate and has some nice features, the background does not only lack details, but is also very bad down compared to the rest, which ruins the overall look of the terrain. The end of the world feeling looks really awful4/15

Theme
Follows the theme rather well, even though it's hard to figure out whom is fighting whom, because it's messy, but hey, this is not the worst for a battlefield, isn't it?6/15
Overall: 24/60

Oziris

Creativity
Well yes, this is not really creative, cause it's just the typical Godzilla-vs.-(insert ridicolous name here)-going-crazy-in-a-town idea, but for this contest, it was rather creative. Also you had some nice ideas to polish it.11/15

Detail
Your terrain is fairly detailed, to be honest, it's DAMN detailed, however some of the details are ugly models, or just senseless, the train flying to the side, trees coming out of houses, you get the point. I love the tree colossus details though, while on the other hand, the other colossus face looks boring. On a second note, the one place that desperatly lacks doodads is right to the police cars, they look like someone has rolled them as dices but nothing is destroyed next to them9/15

Technique
Oh hell, you know the techiques of terraining well, you did a masterpiece on the wooden colossus, as stated, the face is fantastic. However your composition is totally akward since the battle is in the background and the focus is somehow on the train in the foreground which is rather boring, together with the spam of details on everything on the image it makes me not able to focus on a battlefield, also you tended to choose a few doodads that are not exactly terrainer's first choice. Not your standard here.7/15

Theme
Yes, it goes along with the theme, but as said, to really fit in, you should have created the battlefield in the foreground or at least in a total focus. You unfortunatelly did not do that.7/15
Overall: 34/60

sPy

Creativity
One of the battlefield-layouts that I liked, the hills with the river = typical historical or fantastic battlefield. Great idea! The parties are not tooo creative though.6/15

Detail
There are not to many details, but that's good because they are not distracting my view from the battlefield. The pitched tree is a great idea, so are the effects of the battlefield and the effects. However.... the background ends without any details...a no-go.5/15

Technique
Using special effects...rather nice...if they just could look realistic or appealing, same goes for your unit/model choose. Imports would have been so awesome for this terrain. The compostion is rather nice though4/15

Theme
Fits within the theme quite decent. But somehow, there are just to many things not finalized to earn a high scoring here5/15
Overall: 20/60

Tamerleine

Creativity
There is a battle going on in this and you managed to create rather interesting scenery for it. I like the idea of a red fog underlining the blood spilled during a battle6/15

Detail
There is a decent amount of detail, you managed to make the units look messy like in battle, while having the nature bing kinda natural looking. However the strategy of the parties looks very random and many smaller issues are not really aestatically pleasing. I love the ideas of the arrows flying towards the camera though5/15

Technique
As many other terrains your terrain shows an end of the world feeling, and ... that is not what you want your terrain to do...Also your model choose kinda ruins alot of your terrain, especially the trees and the ugly blood model.3/15

Theme
Your terrain fits within the theme decent. The fog is a nice idea, while the model choose is not.5/15
Overall: 19/60

CloudWolf

Creativity
One good choice this scenery was, and I am wondering why you were the only one doing this seeing the amount of entries since it's not the most creative idea basically, seeing only you doing it somehow upgrades it a bit though.8/15

Detail
Yes, there is a hell of a detail in it. And I approve of this, however many details are not really appealing to the eyes, low poly, etc... Which downrades this screenshot in terms of it's terraining quality7/15

Technique
You definatelly showed some nice terraining techniquest, replacing the skin of the footman would also be a nice touch, if you could enhance the polycount of him aswell. Like this, your model choices are not the best, which again ruins the look of your terrain. Also the composition is limited to a certain extend. (for example the rocks in the background, that limit the range of the view)6/15

Theme
The best point of your terrain. It's a superb battlefield. Great ideas in it, some executional lacking though.12/15
Overall: 33/60

johannesr

Creativity
One of the more creative entries, placing your battle on an unknown planet. I like it. The battle itself does not feature many creative ideas though10/15

Detail
The nature is very well detailed and shows your terraining skill really good. To bad you could not get the same quality of work for the battle itself which looks rather random10/15

Technique
There is a big contrast between your landscape and which is goin on in it. A difference I consider being tooo huge to look good. Also there is an end of the world feeling given. The planet idea in the back is good but not good executed somehow. Some models and minor issues do ruin a terrain, which could have been much better7/15

Theme
Fits well within the theme and is a nice terrain, no problems here. For an airplane use, there is not much damage on the ground there though. On a site note: You have really improved your terraining from the last contest, GREAT!9/15
Overall: 36/60

Dr. House

Creativity
The potential in this terrain is immense you did not use it in anyway though. Only thing I yet like are the monsters on the rock. A shame.5/15

Detail
Again, apart from the monsters, nothing going on here. No detail at all.2/15

Technique
The models you choosed for your units would have been a good choice. But next to immensely strechted rocks, they just do not fit, the terrain is flat and lacks many things a terrain could improve.2/15

Theme
Battle? You did not manage to really cause the feeling of a battle here yet. Seems way to unfinished1/15
Overall: 10/60

indomitable1319

Creativity
The red sky idea is nice, the rest is overused here. Typical Bizzard Warcraft battlescene with some random imports.4/15

Detail
Many details look rather random, why is fire in there? The Heroes added look random too. The landscape does not really look detailed, while the battle is a bit more, but not on a great level aswell4/15

Technique
Lacks a lot, especially a flat ground in the front, a tad to unrealistic sky. The use of too ugly units. All in all there are only a few things I consider looking good. Those are the rotated units for example3/15

Theme
Fits within the theme but is very random and not appealing which should be the aim of a terrain3/15
Overall: 14/60

Blood Raven

Creativity
Blame me for this, but I somehow find this terrain idea very creative, even though it is quite close related to the Warcraft 3 RoC Intro screen. Why not, kinda like the idea. Lots of room to get that idea work better though.7/15

Detail
This is one the weakest point of this terrain. You useds several doodads but you placed them messy, spammed and not eye appealing in any way. It does not feel realistic nor battlefieldish but just random, also a rock with higher quality would be appreciated. Same goes for the trees.2/15

Technique
Same here. The idea is not converted into a good terrain unfortunatelly. The ground is flat at many points, the world ends sudden, the trees ruin the background. Overall it does not have the same quality as the wc3 screen2/15

Theme
The idea is great, however you did not manage to express the idea good in any way. The battlefield is only associated because of the front right part reminding of wc3 Roc. Not enough unfortunatelly2/15
Overall: 13/60

Goolygot

Creativity
Two armies before battle. The tension in the air. That's your idea. Average I think. Especially the environment looks to boring to get a good rating here.5/15

Detail
Too bad you did not manage to add the right details to it, mainly you have choosen horrible strechted doodads in the front and the natural environment has nothing really well done in it in terms of detail. The torches carried by the army are a nice touch though. But only one...4/15

Technique
Exept from the overstrechted textures...and a bad landscaping... this terrain is well done in terms of atmosphere. The tension that you wanted to display is there for sure. Really good here and definetelly the best thing in this terrain. Your doodad placement is lacking though and limits your score6/15

Theme
Yeah...quite fitting, nice tension. I call that a battlefield feeling. 7/15
Overall: 22/60

CoBrA_b

Creativity
Hell yes, one creative entry. The battlefield is not totally clear though. Would have loved to see some clashing in the middle or something. Because the tension between the main characters is not given (blame the units for that). Anyways. Great creativity13/15

Detail
The level of detail is astonishing, but while it looks very awesome on the left side, the spam of the corpses over and over on the right side, while having no other doodads except from lava and rocks there - looks not really all that great.10/15

Technique
This is kinda hard. On one hand you really pulled of some nice things. On the other hand you made a few things that are really disturbing looking. For example the glow on Gaia disturbs a quite large part of the whole image. Same at the castle. The right sides trees are strangely scaled compared to the left ones and the lava is not tooo well done aswell. This is kinda sad, because your terrain could have been so much better. Also I would have loved if you did more with the sky, except from creating just a beautiful one.9/15

Theme
This is a very interesting interpretation of the theme and fits in nicely still. Good job here. Some more pointers would have been nice though9/15
Overall: 41/60

Azurot

Creativity
I love the idea of using the ancient rome for your battlefield. I just hate how you used demons as enemies, especially because I can only see one. Why not barbarians? I know this would not be as creative. But demons just sound random to me. Otherwise the idea could have been so damn awesome.7/15

Detail
Wow, you created a nice detailed terrain here. I love all your doodad work here. Very awesomely done.13/15

Technique
And here: A great job. It actually is one of my favourite terrains. Two major issues I got though. The tileset in the front bothers me. To bad you could not find any different solution. I must admit, it is rather hard. But the rest of your terrain just looks so promising. The destruction is mostly well made, the scaled statues look awesome.12/15

Theme
The weakness of this terrain, which really downrates it. The demon is not really all that visible nor does he look terryfing, he only looks out of place. The destruction looks like it was caused by the fire. But the fire does not look like it was caused by the battle, mainly because the demon is not really "existent". That's why this otherwise really great terrain does not really fit within the theme.4/15
Overall: 36/60

supertoinkz

Creativity
Hell vs. Heaven. Not too creative. But not to many entries like that. Well what? Yes. Anyways....5/15

Detail
Nature? I cannot see it. Mostly details are missing. Seems totally unfished2/15

Technique
I can see a selection circle. Not nice. I can see the edges of the map. Not nice. I can see floating doodads. Not nice. To bad you did not execute your terrain properly, even though you showed the potential at some point. But the final product looks like a random half-assed editor doodle. 1/15

Theme
Goes along with the theme, however what it does not go along with mostly is the term "terraining contest". This might sound harsh. But to be honest, this terrain looks like you did lost motivation halfway.4/15
Overall: 12/60

Azharr

Creativity
I like the idea of creating something WorldWar-Alike. However I would love to actually see "something" if you create it3/15

Detail
There are not really details in it, that might be caused by the angle of the camera, however I doubt that the scene would look like this with the enemy that close. Where is the fighting, where is all that battlefield feeling?2/15

Technique
A long way to go for you here. You will need some tutorials to get rid of the ingame feeling when terraining, right now, this is just not artistic enough, a sky is missing, so is a lot else.2/15

Theme
To bad there is no fithging in it. Because there is also not much of a pre-battle tension. Right now, it reminds me more of "Homecoming" than of "Battlefield"3/15

chilla_killa

Creativity
You managed to get that Fallout feeling into your terrain, which is rather good, still the idea of the terrain is not stunning. It seems like an "all-day" battle in a Fallout like universe.6/15

Detail
Many things goind on, many doodads placed. However a lot of doodads seem to randomly placed. You for example placed tons of rocks in a strange way right in front of the cliff. The foreground doodads look randomly aswell.6/15

Technique
Good doodad and model choice. But apart from this, the composition is rather boring. I miss the epicness in this screenshot.6/15

Theme
Like I pointed out. There is a battle. But not really a stunning one. Nothing awesome, nothing epic. Just too average.6/15

Keiji

Creativity
First World War in Warcraft Universe. Damn lovely ideas you got there.12/15

Detail
Many details in this work. I love what you did to General Frank's tank of awesomness. It does not look bad like many units do in a terrain. And that is not only because of the model but caused by your love for the detail. Which is visible in the whole Terrain. Only thing I would like to see are some more tropu movements on the hill in the back. Especially since the lowpolyness of the models would not be to visible there, while the effect would be huge, but that might be just me.13/15

Technique
Technically the clearly best submission of this contest. The doodad choose is top notch. There is a great atmosphere in this shot. Two things bother me. The airplanes are not high enough in quality and do not really fit within the composition. I would have loved to see the terrain without them. And on a minor note: The boxes on the right do somehow seem to be dircetly close to a light spot, which I cannot see. But that is so minor I won't take into consideration.13/15

Theme
Tension, tension, tension, this is what this terrain is about. In other words: Atmosphere. Fits good within the theme and is a good work. (Note: All those crying for missiles and stuff: Not really what this terrain could have used)13/15
Overall: 51/60

KayS

Creativity
Is this a screenshot of a warcraft 3 melee game? At least that was my first thought, until I realized that wc3 units cannot cross cliff borders. But I am sorry to say: This is not a creative use of the World edtior at all.1/15

Detail
There is not much detail in this aswell. Everything looks way to random and messy.2/15

Technique
You should read a lot of tutorials to improve your skills. Blizzard cliffs tend to not look good. For further help you should post in the Terrain Board with your tries. Right now, this is one big mess. But I am sure that with practice you can improve on that.1/15

Theme
If you could have done a bit more and a bit less messy, there would actually be a battle visible. Like this there is not really a battle visible.3/15
Overall: 7/60

David_89

Creativity
Like some other terrains, this reminds me of a Warcraft 3 campaign cinematic, but less well thought. Not a terrain which could score well in creativity2/15

Detail
A lot is happening, a lot of fight, a lot of effects, a lot of units...a lot of randomness throughout the whole terrain. While camera angle is not well choosen, the terrain lacks any details in the environment aswell3/15

Technique
Unfortunatelly only a random messing with doodads and height and tile variation. A lot of work is needed for you to get a feeling for the tools of the World Editor. But using special effects is a good start. The camera angle needs to be better in the future.2/15

Theme
Fits the battlefield part, but not the terraining part of this contest. As to why, see above.2/15
Overall: 9/60

Frutz

Creativity
Not bad. Reminds me of 300 while having an extra touch. A rather nice idea. Nothing too creative still.5/15

Detail
Not to many details here. You did not choose to many different units and the natural environment is rather poor. Good that it is not tooo visible either.4/15

Technique
The atmosphere you created is not the worst. However it is not the best aswell. The model choose is lacking. Not only the units, but also the doodads could have been chosen more wisely. The background is better than the foreground5/15

Theme
Fits within the theme. Could have some more atmosphere still and a lot more touch to the armies though5/15
Overall: 19/60

Raven0

Creativity
The idea seemed to be a mix of Lotr and your own imagination. However I only reckognized it after reading what you were aiming for. Pretty creative nonetheless7/15

Detail
Wait what? The fore- and background are created by the same person? While having a beautiful detailed and harmonic background. The foreground looks rather messy and plain boring. And let me be honest. I could not figure out the huge ents you were aiming for. To me they looked like messy somethings. The background is a good work nevertheless.7/15

Technique
Having a nice composition as a base, the foreground destroys what could have been an awesome terrain. To bad you could not show the same quality and skill in here as in your previous contest7/15

Theme
Seeing that this seems only halffinished in the front and the battle is only very hard to figure out. This does not work well with the theme. COuld have been so much better, if you pulled out the Ents better3/15

idodik

Creativity
Another wc3 campaign screenshot alike. Not really creative. Especially since it looks like a new layout of the worldtree battle thingy. At least an interesting place of wc3 lore though3/15

Detail
Many units and a few environment doodads typical for wc3 gameplay. Nothing that is really great for terraining. The only real extraordinary details terraining wise are the explosion and ents. But I am unsure wether that is really terraining or using triggers2/15

Technique
The sky is so dark, it looks like deep night, the terrain is rather bright. A better fog would be appreciated. The composition is not really stunning. More like a normal ingame experience. Overall. Room to improve3/15

Theme
Kinda mix of a prebattle and a battle. Not to visible. I doubt I could see all that without teamcolour being added. But teamcolour is not the best thing for terraining3/15
Overall: 11/60

tleno

Creativity
I am not into Daily Peon, nor do I really know what this is. But still your terrain's ideas are quite nice. While there could be more still.7/15

Detail
Many details are visible in here and I can really see you putted some effort into it. However some details do not fir to each other too good. I love the bridges and the activity on those5/15

Technique
While your terrain is really creative and detailed, the technique is rather lacking. A lot of models are just not high enough in terms of quality to look eye appealing. Also some things look rather clushing with each other. Mainly the tiles and the buildings plus the rocks. The fog needs improvement, so does the camere angle and background design (compostion)4/15

Theme
The battle could have been a bit more in the focus. While being in the terrain, the main attention is caught by the bizarre city and not by the fightings going on.5/15
Overall: 21/60

VegaKotes

Creativity
Another typical wc3 terrain. This time at least interesting fractions. Still nothing creative in it.2/15

Detail
It has the exact same amount of details than a standard wc3 melee or campaign map has. Nothing more, nothing less. While this is acceptable for game terraining, a terrain contest is about enhancing the editor's possbilities. You did not do this though3/15

Technique
Like I pointed out, a perfect recreation of wc3. That is the plus point, the negative one is: You need to do more for a good scoring, fog, camera angle and composition. All those things need to be improved.2/15

Theme
Fits within the theme acceptable. However I would not call this a battle but a small fight3/15

AyeKantSpel

Creativity
While the environment looks really boring and except from the reflection uninspired, the composition of the battle is rather interesting. Nothing more here though4/15

Detail
The few details in the environmental work are to few to look pleasing. Some tile variation, shrubs, stones, etc. could have improved that terrain.3/15

Technique
The reflection you created is a nice feature, however not only this technique is not yet mastered. A lot of other things are missing aswell. Mostly the atmosphere sky and doodad placement.3/15

Theme
A standard battle, more like a smaller skirmish. Fits within the theme decently5/15
Overall: 15/60

Phoonix

Creativity
Love the idea of this. Because it reminds me of those famous battlefield szenes just like the banner of the contest or out of the Napoleon times. A big plus for that. Still a bit more could happen8/15

Detail
The background is rather astonishing in terms of detail. While the castle looks well done. The left side looks messy. The foreground lacks a fight and more doodads and units (details)7/15

Technique
Even though the model chouice is creative and well thought, it does not change the fact that the models only look a tad better than standard wc3 models. That's why there is a big contrast between the terrain in the foreground and the back. The moon could be improved aswell. So the height variation in the foreground5/15

Theme
Apart from having to few units in the front part of the terrain, this is a nice battlescene7/15
Overall: 27/60

Adiktuz

Creativity
Don't know why, but this szene reminds me of an AoS with enhanced terrain. Some creative unit choose in it. The terrain itself is rather standard though.6/15

Detail
Apart from the way you enhanced the units look, there are to few doodads in this terrain, especially for the nature part of it.4/15

Technique
The model choose is not the worst for units, since you were able to add nice effects to them, making them look less high quality. However the doodad choose for the terrain itself is rather poor, especially the stone and trees. The composition limits the terrain aswell5/15

Theme
Fits within the theme. Still, it is a very small battle and not exactly easy to figure out who is fighting againt whom5/15

Nagir

Creativity
Not creative. Standard wc3 feeling to it.1/15

Detail
Less details than in a standard wc3 terrain, you need to give more attention to the creation of the nature. Right now it looks like you clicked every doodad once and placed it randomly. Be more careful here2/15

Technique
Terraining wise this is missing a lot. A black background is not what an artistical terrain should have. Also imports should be used in the future. Keep an eye on keeping the tiles coherent aswell2/15

Theme
No battle going on, but I seriously do not expect those two groups to start fighting aswell. Those are no armies at all. Nor do they look powerful really.2/15
Overall: 7/60

Sheephunter

Creativity
While being one of the szenes with a more individual look, the idea behind it is not as creative as the execution. However still it's more than the typical standard wc3 stuff.7/15

Detail
This screen is full of details. While the nature is pulled out nicely, the structures seem to be rather randomly placed and out of order. There are to few details in the back aswell5/15

Technique
The fog you used is intense and a tad unrealistic, but it contributes to the feeling of what you were aiming for, also it is individual. Still the units do not fit within the terrain and the backround is really not good. The huge mountains do look unrealistic and unpleasing. The doodad choose is sometimes good, sometimes not. Overall average.6/15

Theme
To bad you could not really point out the battle. This looks more like a battle could take place someday in the future. Right now, there are no armies or at least nothing to stop the demons really. The trolls look more like scouts. That's why the submission does not perfectly fit within the theme and looses some points here.2/15

Judges scoreshave been converted into percentages.
Final Score = (Judge's Score)*0.7 + (votes/(142))*30 = (score)

fladdermasken - (79.17)*0.7 + (32/(142))*30 = 62.18
Skycraft - (25)*0.7 + (4/(142))*30 = 18.34
The Olorin - (40)*0.7 + (1/(142))*30 = 28.21
Oziris - (70)*0.7 + (61/(142))*30 = 61.89
Spy - (40.83)*0.7 + (9/(142))*30 = 30.48
Tamerleine - (40)*0.7 + (5/(142))*30 = 29.06
Cloudwolf - (60)*0.7 + (69/(142))*30 = 56.78
johannesr - (63.33)*0.7 + (8/(142))*30 = 46.02
Dr.House - (17.5)*0.7 + (3/(142))*30 = 12.88
indomitable1319 - (18.67)*0.7 + (3/(142))*30 = 13.70
Blood Raven - (24.17)*0.7 + (2/(142))*30 = 17.34
Goolygot - (37.5)*0.7 + (6/(142))*30 = 27.52
CoBrA b - (69.17)*0.7 + (6/(142))*30 = 49.69
Azurot - (62.5)*0.7 + (9/(142))*30 = 45.65
Supertoinkz - (23.33)*0.7 + (2/(142))*30 = 16.75
Azharr - (18.33)*0.7 + (2/(142))*30 = 13.25
chilla_killa - (43.33)*0.7 + (8/(142))*30 = 32.01
Keiji - (83.33)*0.7 + (14/(142))*30 = 61.29
KayS - (14.17)*0.7 + (1/(142))*30 = 10.13
David_89 - (21.66)*0.7 + (1/(142))*30 = 15.37
Frutz - (31.67)*0.7 + (2/(142))*30 = 22.59
Raven0 - (49.17)*0.7 + (6/(142))*30 = 35.69
idodik - (27.5)*0.7 + (4/(142))*30 = 20.10
tleno - (40.83)*0.7 + (5/(142))*30 = 29.64
VegaKotes - (21.67)*0.7 + (2/(142))*30 = 15.59
AyeKantSpel - (30)*0.7 + (2/(142))*30 = 21.42
Phoonix - (51.67)*0.7 + (7/(142))*30 = 37.65
Adiktuz - (36.67)*0.7 + (2/(142))*30 = 26.09
Nagir - (12.5)*0.7 + (1/(142))*30 = 8.96
Sheephunter - (40)*0.7 + (9/(142))*30 = 29.90

WINNERS

1st - fladdermasken - 62.18
2nd - Oziris - 61.89
3rd - Keiji - 61.29

Poll|Contest

-----
Thanks to Chaos. for judging all those 30 entries in an awesome manner and doing the maths. His work was very important for the contest.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I won did I? Groovey.

I'd like to say 'thank you' to Chaos and M0rbid for great devotion and reliability,
and all contenders for making this contest worthwhile.

And of course, I'd also like to express my appreciation for everyone who voted for me.

Special congratulations to Oziris and Keiji of course, your entries were both lovely.
Expecting to see the both of you joining the next contest.
I wonder why there are so few replies here?

Anyways congrats to the winners!
This thread is still in a hidden section, so I don't know how you guys found it to begin with.
I was provided with a link by Lich Prince, 'tis the only reason why I noticed this.

I'm assuming Pyritie will move it to the proper section and announce it shortly.

Last edited:
Level 12
Awesome.

Congrats to Oziris, Keiji, and particularly Fladdermasken. You all did a great job and totally deserved it.

See you next contest!

Level 27
Oh cool, my results were worse than I hoped before starting terraining and better than after completing the terrain...

Best parts is that I learnt my mistakes and I understand that if I had listened to my firend's Alagremm and veljkom's advices, I would have made the terrain far better or maybe even had a chance to win an award.
It's just that I promised myself I'll finish the terrain in year 2010, so I uploaded it on last day of 2010... maybe if next time I'll promise myself to win, I will win?

Level 15
@Pyritie, ya I posted the link in the poll. I got the link off Flad's profile. I have no idea how to get to that section but I figured that if I am able to access that area (like anyone else could) then it shouldn't be that big of a deal to post it. Hope I didn't post out of place and if I did I do apologize.

Anyways, congratz to the winners and to everyone else who took part in the most successful contest yet (in terms of entry count). Hopefully I will be able to join the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.