1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset in the 32nd Modeling Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining Contest #11 - Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by M0rbid, Jan 20, 2011.

?

Who is your winner of Terraining Contest #11

Poll closed Feb 4, 2011.
  1. fladdermasken

22.5%
  2. Skycraft

2.8%
  3. The_Olorin

0.7%
  4. Oziris

43.0%
  5. sPy

6.3%
  6. Tamerleine

3.5%
  7. CloudWolf

48.6%
  8. johannesr

5.6%
  9. Dr. House

2.1%
  10. indomitable1319

2.1%
  11. Blood Raven

1.4%
  12. Goolygot

4.2%
  13. CoBrA b

4.2%
  14. Azurot

6.3%
  15. supertoinkz

1.4%
  16. Azharr

1.4%
  17. chilla killa

5.6%
  18. Keiji

9.9%
  19. KayS

0.7%
  20. David 89

0.7%
  21. Frutz

1.4%
  22. Raven0

4.2%
  23. idodik

2.8%
  24. tleno

3.5%
  25. VegaKotes

1.4%
  26. AyeKantSpel

1.4%
  27. Phoonix

4.9%
  28. Adiktuz

1.4%
  29. Nagir

0.7%
  30. Sheephunter

6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    It's really great and honourable that you try to help other users and I am certain I will not blame you for that. I appreciate it and I won't do anything against it.
    However this poll is created to find a winner of a contest. The fact is. Here you have to decide! Being helpful is something different. Giving a user tips and feedback is helpful, manipulating - and yes, it's manipulating - the poll by voting for everyone does not help any of the users that submit a work. That you think everyone deserves a vote is honourable aswell, but it does not help in the process of getting results for a contest. And this is what a contest is about. Feedback and tipps are appreciated, since everyone can learn from it. Also I am not someone who does not honour hard work. So I totally understand you want to help and honour all those that participated. It's just, that you don't do it this way.
    I would like you to rethink this for further contests.

And note. This is not meant to be offensive or anything. I am just trying to make sure that this poll is fair and not manipulated even though the purpose behing it is positive.

2. Lich Prince

Lich Prince

Resources:
    Resources:
    No dude, no.

((Votes / total votes) * 25)

So 1/118 = 0.08x25 while 0/118 probably gives a big zero over here.

55/118 = 0.466 while 54/117 = 0.461...

Jesus guys, I'm such an asshole for being helpful, right?

Yes, I usually vote once but once I checked the entries I noticed that most of them are really good, so I decided to vote for all of the guys.

3. Maker

Maker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes.

Now everyone has at least x amount of points. The point scale used to be 0-Y, but now it is x-Y , x > 0.

No, you're not. No-one has called you that or even implied anything of the sort.

4. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well, I think it's okay now. Lich Prince did clarify why he did vote for everyone and we cannot change the fact he did though anyways. Seeing he had no bad intentions doing so underlines, that there is no need to discuss anymore.
    I still hope Lich Prince considers my arguments, but still we can forget the issue in this thread.

5. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Have the judges started judging the entries? And sorry if I'm being a bother but when's the poll closing, I remember Morbid saying in a month, but i have no clue when was that. :p

6. RaijinSpark

RaijinSpark

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    My vote goes to Oziris

7. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Well yeah, I'm curious about the judge's opinions too. Somewhat, I joined this contest just to advertise Daily Peon social group and hear the judging of my terrains...

8. frozen290

frozen290

Resources:
    Resources:
    My vote goes to Oziris.

9. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well, I was busy with a very important exam till monday and was away for two more days, but now I should have the judging done pretty soon.
    "This poll will close on 02-04-2011 at 09:51 AM" and I am pretty sure that the judging will be done untile that day.

10. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wait, 02-04-2011?! That's like two more months? Because It normally goes: dd/mm/yyyy.

11. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, it's fourth February this year.

12. Avator

Avator

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oziris has a good point there. Next time, let's avoid all confusion and type it as February 4th or April 2nd. The way it is now will only cause disorder and unnecessary discussions.

13. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well, I cannot change the code of the site and, since the whole site works with showing the american way, I think it should be fine.

14. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You could manually close the poll on the 4th as well, could you not?

15. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Lol, such a big jump CW got, yesterday 53 now 65.

Debode, now it's the third of February here in Serbia.

16. minami26

minami26

Resources:
    Resources:
    epicwork Cloudwolf. *drools*

17. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I cannot from what I know since I made it autoclose.

18. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Alright, this should be over now then.
    I'll be expecting your judging to be done mere hours from now M0rb :p

19. Raven0

Raven0

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Review

I just don't have time to review all the submissions, but I will try and do a few of them. Here are three I just did (there are a few more I would like to do if I have time later). Mind you these are just my opinions.

fladdermasken

Review:
    Nice to see somebody tried to do something different and creative instead of just going with the basic castle siege or army-clash.

Although I can see the idea of your snapshot is to show the surreal calm while this giant robot is slowly walking across the field to meet the entrenched defenders, I still think it would have been alot better for the robot to be closer. Right now we can't really see that much detail on him. I realize it was alright to make a "before-battle" picture, but it is difficult to tell at first that your snapshot is that of a battlefield (mainly because the tanks blend in too much with their surroundings so at first all you see is the robot and you have to search for a while before you see the defensive line).

You've done a nice job with the foliage in the foreground but it doesn't really match the trees in the background. The foliage appears yellow, dying, unable to survive due to the mechanized factories around them, while the trees in the background appear green and lush. Also the green color of the trees doesn't fit the overall color scheme of your photo, you could have tinted them down a bit. Mind you this is a really minor thing, you've done a great all-around job with the plant life.

Aside from those trees, the rocks, tanks, gears, men, robot, and just about everything else really go together well and supports the shot as a whole. The sky is pretty un-detailed but that goes well with the desolate state of the environment. You've done a nice job with the fog effects but I would have liked to see some smoke or emissions coming from the structures (would have made your sky more cluttered and more pleasant to look at).

You have several plants in the foreground that appear to be digging into rocks.

Overall awsome job, it's certainly one of the best entries.

Creativity: 14/15
    Detail: 11/15
    Technique: 12/15
    Theme: 11/15

Oziris

Review:

The level of epicness present here cannot be put into words. Well, actually, yes it can, so here you go:

The theme you went with was not only a nice idea, but was executed perfectly. The two elements clashing together are not only present in the golemns but also in the symetrical division of the snapshot and the opposition of overgrowth and destruction on either side. The chaos and devastation felt by the surrounding environment when the healing and destructive powers of nature meet is displayed in a beautiful manner.

The level of detail in the picture is amazing, you can easily tell that you spent hour after hour touching it up even after you were "done" with it. The foliage, rubble, subtle crevaces...need I go on? I especially fell in love with the barely-visible but nonetheless epic lightning in the background sky and how you made the illusion of the interior of the building where the train crashed.

I don't like the police cars because their bright white middle-section disrupts the whole color scheme of the photo. I get why you used police cars but I think it would have looked better with some duller-colored cars/trucks (or maybe you could have toned down the police cars to something lower).

The golemns are incredibly epic, although I don't like the face on either one. In my opinion your original face for the treant was much better, callahans model just seems to disrupt the feel of the rest of the ent. The eyes on the rock-golemn definitely needed to be changed (maybe used red crystals instead?). Right now that black dot just seems so out-of-place with the high level of detail present in the rest of the picture.

In my opinion your' snapshot is by far the best one for too may reasons to list. If you don't win I will certainly loser some faith in the validity of these contests.

Creativity: 14/15
    Detail: 14/15
    Technique: 13/15
    Theme: 15/15

Cloudwolf

Review:

You appear to have used a ton of large doodads and sized them up even more. The sky is pretty empty and you've used basic WC3 tiles on a close-up shot which shows off how ugly they are. You've used WC3 units instead of making something creative out of doodads which means all the imperfections in the models really bring down your snapshot. All these things put together equal a low technique and detail score.

Enough with the negative though, let's look at some of the positive. Your take on the 'snap-shot' idea to make it so all the projectiles and units appear frozen in-time was not only a great idea but was implemented perfectly. Most people just sets units in their map and took a picture of them standing around but you went through the trouble of adding all these projectiles and making the footmen run at the castle and believe me, it payed off. This snapshot had the most 'epic' feel because of that.

Nice job with the projectiles and excellent use of custom skins and models.

Those bright-green shrubs don't really fit well with the surrounding dark yellowish-green grass.

You did an awsome job depicing one of the rocks slamming agaisn't troops in the mid-ground (I especially love the one guy flying in the air).

Although you won't get much love from me in the technique and detail departments, the truly epic feel, perfect angle, and great sense of 'battle' from your snapshot give you a solid chance to prevail.

Creativity: 11/15
    Detail: 9/15
    Technique: 7/15

Cloudwolf

Review:

You appear to have used a ton of large doodads and sized them up even more. The sky is pretty empty and you've used basic WC3 tiles on a close-up shot which shows off how ugly they are. You've used WC3 units instead of making something creative out of doodads which means all the imperfections in the models really bring down your snapshot. All these things put together equal a low technique and detail score.

Enough with the negative though, let's look at some of the positive. Your take on the 'snap-shot' idea to make it so all the projectiles and units appear frozen in-time was not only a great idea but was implemented perfectly. Most people just sets units in their map and took a picture of them standing around but you went through the trouble of adding all these projectiles and making the footmen run at the castle and believe me, it payed off. This snapshot had the most 'epic' feel because of that.

Nice job with the projectiles and excellent use of custom skins and models.

Those bright-green shrubs don't really fit well with the surrounding dark yellowish-green grass.

You did an awsome job depicing one of the rocks slamming agaisn't troops in the mid-ground (I especially love the one guy flying in the air).

Although you won't get much love from me in the technique and detail departments, the truly epic feel, perfect angle, and great sense of 'battle' from your snapshot give you a solid chance to prevail.

Creativity: 11/15
    Detail: 9/15
    Technique: 7/15

20. nickel510

nickel510

Resources:
    Resources:
    Judging by the polls, I'd say cloudwolf is doing better then just 'prevailing'.