1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Tentacled Guardian

Submitted by AndrewOverload519
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
A first attempt at making a model for a building, in this case a heavy defensive structure for the Naga. I've made some edits to the base Tidal Guardian mesh to make it look different from the original, the most notable of which is replacing the sea serpent with a giant tentacle. Additional rocks have also been added to the base of the pool and some coral have been placed on top of some of the rocks so that you could easily tell it apart from the original Tidal Guardian while the tentacle isn't shown.

As for what it could possibly do ingame, the Tentacled Guardian should be more effective at defending your base against hordes of ground-based enemies than the Tidal Guardian as it can slaughter whole clusters of troops in a line. The Tentacled Guardian should also be effective while defending against enemy ships. However, the Tentacled Guardian cannot attack air units whereas the Tidal Guardian can, meaning that the most effective defense for a Naga base should be a combination of the two.

Eventually, I will also get around to making a version of this structure for the Faceless Ones as some people have suggested while making this model, but I wanted to do one or two more Naga themed buildings so expect those to be made first. :cwink:

This model uses ingame textures, so no need to worry about texture paths. The model also does not require a portrait since there was one already built-in from when I edited it. As a result, this model should be very easy to import!

If you want to use this model then feel free to do that, provided that you'll give credit to me in return.

UPDATE 1:
Made the tentacle a little thicker.

UPDATE 2:
Made the Attack animation look more "powerful".

UPDATE 3:
Further improved the Attack animation and fixed the Death animation and Birth attachment.

UPDATE 4:
Recalculated extents.

UPDATE 5:
Made portrait glow unselectable and further recalculated extents.

Keywords:
octopus, squid, tentacle, coral, defense, tower, hentai, tentacle rape
Contents

Tentacled Guardian (Model)

Reviews
[img] [img] Misha [img] 7th Jun 2013 Moderator's Review: kinda feelin' that he should have something more deadly on it.. maybe a row of lill shark-ish teeth on the each side of the tentacle, between where the succers would be? 17:41,...
  1. [​IMG] [​IMG] Misha [​IMG] 7th Jun 2013
    Moderator's Review:

kinda feelin' that he should have something more deadly on it.. maybe a row of lill shark-ish teeth on the each side of the tentacle, between where the succers would be?

17:41, 11th Jun 2013
    Deolrin: The animations where the tentacle pops up from the water should start a bit lower. Right now, it appears mid-way through the water, which looks strange. This can be easily done in Magos, though animation software like WarShape, WarForger and perhaps even MDLVis could be helpful. The "Attack" animation should also be a little bit faster, and therefore more "powerful", because it seems a bit weak and slow at the moment. Additionally, I believe you should try and make a "Birth Alternate", or attach a model with an alternative birth animation to the portrait, where the pool and all parts of the Tidal Guardian are already there, and only the "new" bits(corals, rocks) are added. That way, people could use the model as an "upgrade" to the tidal guardian. Perhaps you could also simply make a multi-upgrade model that starts out as just the base(without the Tidal Guardian animations), but can be upgraded to include the Tidal Guardian or the Tentacle Guardian.
    And finally, I agree with Misha about the tentacle having something else on it, but that is merely a suggestion. Sharp teeth, spikes, or even just alpha'd out bits of the Faceless One(the bit above the head on the texture looks like it could do nicely), just to spruce it up a bit.

19:09, 12th Jun 2013
    Deolrin: Alright, the attack animation is slightly better(though it could still be improved a bit, as it's a bit too slow), but I noticed a few other problems. First of all, you need to set the visibility of the Naga birth to "0" in all animations except for the start of "Birth", because it plays through them all(if you spawn a tentacle guardian in the World Editor and check it in-game, the birth animation plays; it also plays during the portrait). Another problem is the lack of a proper death animation and sound. These were available on the Tidal Guardian(particles + sound), so I'm unsure as to why they are missing from your model.

20:49, 12th Jun 2013
    Deolrin: Changes made, resource approved! :)
    Excellent alternative to the Tidal Guardian. I like the added corals and other such details. Good job!

2. Roland

Roland

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hmm, It seems very simple, Yet replacing the old Sea dragon on that pool... I say 4/5

3. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I'd suggest ya to change pool's texture.

4. Skypsi

Skypsi

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Interesting alternative. Nothing too special, but still useful. Maybe add more tusks to Increase the differences between them.

5. Bboy Moose

Bboy Moose

Resources:
    Resources:
    recommended for japanese schoolgirls.

maybe spikes on the whole tentacle, or more little tentacles?
    nice simple model btw.
    3/5

6. ~DARK~

~DARK~

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Make A Teeth For IT . It Will Become Nice

7. The Pale King

The Pale King

Resources:
    Resources:
    Seems like it would fit the old ones more methinks. Still, decent effort :)

8. Doom Wolf

Doom Wolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Not bad, but maybe to simple. I'd try to make more menacing in some way, teeth or spikes could have a nice touch. As it is now, a player will look at it and be like, "A pink tentacle is attacking my ground force?" I'm just assuming your going for a little more than that. I do like the idea.

9. Mgeterno11

Mgeterno11

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nicely edited, the tentacle really fits the guardian. Works well in-game. 5/5

10. Sky Green

Sky Green

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going. Nice model :D.

11. Bloody Wolf

Bloody Wolf

Resources:
    Resources:
    reminds me of the spine crawler from sc2 XD great job some glowing runes would make it cooler

and btw I've seem enough hentai to know where this is going :ogre_hurrhurr:

12. Karassu

Karassu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good for hentai maps.

13. loktar

loktar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Does anyone know what the proper Projectile Launch and/or Animation backswing/damage point values are? So the projectile appears to come out of the tip of the tentacle.

Thanks!

edit: this looks reasonable:
    Cast Backswing: 0.400
    Cast Point: 0.200 (not sure if those two are even necessary tho)
    Animation Backswing: 0.400
    Animation Damage Point: 0.300
    Projectile Arc: 0.10
    (using projectile art Abilities\Weapons\WaterElementalMissile\WaterElementalMissile.mdl)

would appreciate if someone could post some better settings :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016