• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sunlit Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I know that the sun kinda cuts into the cliff, but i finally got the lighting how i wanted (Really frickin' bright) and don't want to change the lighting for that simple reason. I am also aware that the right side is a bit empty, as well as maybe the summit of the cliff, but my computer can't take this map anymore lol.
This is also my first terrain using such lighting techniques (that i actually did well) and using high-res doodads. Enjoy :D

EDIT: I changed the lighting and found the "FOV" option on my camera, which made the outsides seem more empty but made it have more depth, which i think made it better.

EDIT: AGAIN D: Final.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_052010_151702_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_052010_151702_01.png
    2 MB · Views: 217
  • WC3ScrnShot_052110_213026_02.png
    WC3ScrnShot_052110_213026_02.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Level 9
This one lightray in the middle looks out of place: The Sun is in the Background so where does this ray come from?
It would also look better, if u would use more tile variation (especialy on the right side)

All in all i think its pretty well made. Keep it up

Level 23
I promised to look at this terrain, but am really busy right now, so i'll edit this post later with a review ;)

The Review (only the first picture because I liked that one more):

Overall this is a very nice terrain, the atmosphere is definetally there, the light causes an intense feeling and it's actually one of the first terrains I see, that uses flowers so well. These flowers look really nice and add a individual touch to the terrain which makes it differ from all the standard sunset terrains. Good job here. What other users already stated where the light effects themself, I also think, that they could have need a bit of a touch up, but they are still okay. Especially the light colour causes a warm feeling, which fits the terrain perfectly.
Now some minor doodad placing things, that i personally dislike a bit: First the stairs. they don't look to well fitting to the stones, the idea is nice, but don't know exactly why, but your execution is a bit lacking.
Second: the tree on the right next to the water. I don't like that his base directly touches the water, some grass next to it, between tree and water would look more realistic - i don't say that this doesn't exist in nature like you did, but the other look is just more pleasing for the eye ;). Also a bit unrealistic is the stone cliff on the right, which is in my opinion just a bit to unrealistic straight up. adding some rocks to it would polish that up for sure!
I know what you want to show with the two smaller trees in the middle, but meh, it just doesn't look to good in my opinion, they don't really look smaller in a way that they would have to grow first, but shrunken. I guess this is caused by this huge amount of leaves they have. So blame the model for that.
The rocks in the back on the left side are also very sudden placed, I'm not so sure about wether on the left side you should add another one or not.
Now back to what I want to point out, why I say this is a good terrain: It's this from my point of view awesome grassland part with flowers on the left! Awesome job there.

Note: I don't want to offend in any comments, i just tried to point out, what could be improved in this terrain, so don't take the things offending, keep it up!

Last edited:
Level 18
As to what Racziel said, that light ray comes out of nowhere. My suggestion is to use a better sun ray tecknique, perhaps tilting that ray so that it faces from the sun toward the camera. Me personally i would trash the ray and replace it with a Sunflare, very close to the camera or just on that horizon and make it way bigg.

Level 6
Looks quite nice. Personally I like the second one better - it looks more realistic to me. The sun also looks better in the second pic. One thing that doesn´t fit perfect are the red flowers, but its only my opinion. Waiting to see more of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.